home

Author Topic: The Province of STIRLAND  (Read 118399 times)

Offline Lord Maurice Thayer

• Members
Re: The Province of STIRLAND
« Reply #100 on: June 11, 2009, 04:35:04 PM »
I noticed a previous post asking about our elector, I think further discussion on him would be nice. 
It is my understnding that he is young (barely a teen when he took office) and a very devout Sigmarite.  His advisor is a very prestigous Priest in Sigmars Church.  He is also a bigotond in command and there has been rumor of him planning a "relocation" and genocide of the Hafling's (most of this at the suggestion of his advisor mind you).  I had not heard about the border skirmishes before the Storm of Chaos, if anyone has any links to its documentation that would be grand. 
Does anyone else have anything on the subject of our Leader? I will hit the stacks a little harder and see what I may dig up.
Well if the empire is gonna get all those upgrades you want, then my gobbos want S4, T4, and A2... that would be as balanced as your new halberds and other rules...

Glory for Stirland!!!

Offline Mathi Alfblut

• Members
  • intres cum fixura sine misericordia
« Reply #101 on: June 11, 2009, 04:57:19 PM »
Seems I have failed to write in these list, but then, as Mathi Alfblut, acting warrior priest and heretic dispatcher extraordinarie I have lot of things to do.

Among other fight a war against them haughty Talibanheimers and Talibanlanders up north. :dry:

Anyway, it is good to know so many brothers have seen through the slander and mischief of the other provinces and realized where the true heart of the Empire resides. That more than me realizes that skill in war does not steem from expensive uniforms or overmade wargear!
No! Strength in war comes from Faith, steel and... to some extent at least... from gunpowder. But mind you, Faith and steel are the most important ones here!

Above all I wish to point towards faith! As a priest of Sigmar, and as Arch chaplain of the Stirland state forces, I know all to well the value faith have when facing the vile undead! But we, the brave Stirlanders, have faith and courage in great magnitude!

And as to those accusation, that the Church of Sigmar would advice our dear Elector count to relocate and murder the halflings, I tell you itīs just illwilling slander made up by some insulent Talabeclander or more likely them horsetraders the Averlanders.
NEVER trust an Averlander, son of Stirland. NEVER!!!

Oh, and remember GW made it personal, not you!

Offline Siegfried Leitdorf

• Members
« Reply #102 on: June 12, 2009, 12:19:15 PM »
Well, don't come running to us when the walking lard menace rolls up to your front door; we'll be busy spending money on new clothes.

Care to join us, Stirlander? Oh, sorry, I forgot you didn't have any.

Offline Douchie

• Members
  • The Army of Eastern Stirland
« Reply #103 on: June 12, 2009, 01:10:18 PM »
Siegfried, please feel free to prance around in your girly clothes, us Stirlanders will do your fighting for you and keep you safe... bless

• Members
« Reply #104 on: June 15, 2009, 03:17:29 PM »
I am dwarvier than you would think and have learned to trust very few people, atleast very few that have not served on the field of battle with me... speaking of which, our "boy count" has yet to actually see any bloodshed, and his advisor has not seen it in many years due to him being too busy brown nosing  with the church and misguiding our count for his own political ambitions... the halflings on the other hand have shown me their courage and will; their deadly accurate bowfire has held my flank more than once, and their produce is always welcomed in my army camps as it makes the freshest best tasting meals my boys can have...
Well if the empire is gonna get all those upgrades you want, then my gobbos want S4, T4, and A2... that would be as balanced as your new halberds and other rules...

Glory for Stirland!!!

• Members
« Reply #105 on: June 29, 2009, 08:44:46 PM »
so i think i have figured out how to have swordsmen in my army... since stirland is so poor, and my area of protection is not much of an exception (i do have halberds, spears and a few handguns)...
but i was thinking the town militia could be a swordsmen unit, modeled using the free company box set (i have tons of extra old round wood shields)... i think this would look neat and give opportunity for a town battalion look, with detachments of bowmen/x-bowmen and free company, and full command, perhaps led by their local priest of sigmar/morr...
the only real "problem" i see fluff wise is that a towney unit would more than likely not have WS4... maybe call them speatmen/halberds that only use sword and shield (i realize this is paying an extra point for nothing)
what do you think??? do any other stirland generals use this or have seen other provinces use this???

Glory for Stirland!!!

Offline Douchie

• Members
  • The Army of Eastern Stirland
« Reply #106 on: July 15, 2009, 01:59:08 PM »

what do you think??? do any other stirland generals use this or have seen other provinces use this???

It says in the new heraldry that while poorly equiped troops is the norm, some nobles over compensate & dress & equip their units as lavishly as any city state.

I have a unit of swordsmen in my army & the fluff simply has it that the nobleman commanding spends all of his money upon this unit & nothing else.

So I say go for it, I like the militia idea.  :::cheers:::

• Members
« Reply #107 on: July 18, 2009, 01:16:19 PM »
yes douchie, your broken swords are well known in our lands... it is their tales that has found me wanting of swords in my army, but alas funding is the issue (i simply hate the 7th ed models, and finding/buying the old 6th models is to much)... so i think i will resort to training the militia swordsmen (fluff wise fun and painting wise a good break)... so when shall we get the next installment of your broken swords battle? i have had to suspend my officier training classes on battlefield tactics...

Glory for Stirland!!!

Offline wissenlander

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
  • The original Graf of Brennenburg
« Reply #108 on: July 23, 2009, 01:36:07 AM »
Also, Sigmar's Heirs notes that while the typical image of Stirland is of dirt poor bumpkins, it isn't as bad off as it is stereotypically portrayed.
Me and Wissenlander had babies!

not together.

finding photographic evidense that Wiss smiles is going to be hard...

• Members
« Reply #109 on: July 25, 2009, 02:28:50 PM »
makes sense... much like my home state of maine, people in other parts of the countrty seem to think i still need to use the outhouse to take a dump... when in fact i live in a suburb with over 20,00 people outside the city of portland... i know there are areas with larger populations, but i def dont live in the woods...

Glory for Stirland!!!

Offline Nicholas Bies

• Members
  • puzzling
« Reply #110 on: July 26, 2009, 01:34:36 PM »
I think it's in the Genevieve vampire novels they talk about the Count of Stirland and he seems a pretty decent fella, if he spends most of his time in Altdorf.
The greatest form of control which can go on forever until it is exposed is a tyranny you can't see, touch and taste (unlike totalitarian Govts). When you sit in a prison cell but can't see the bars, because people don't rebel against not being free when they think they're are.

« Reply #111 on: August 19, 2009, 08:28:53 PM »
I'm finishing up on reading the Witch Hunter Omnibus and was curious as to were the town of Klausburg may be on the Stirland map. Any ideas? Anyone? Bueller? Bueller?

Thanks!

Offline wissenlander

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #112 on: August 26, 2009, 10:03:34 AM »
It was the Count of Sudenland, Ben.  Still a good series of books.

I'm not sure where Klausberg would be located.  Any descriptions that could lend any detail?

not together.

Offline General Tomerix Rotenkopf

• Members
« Reply #113 on: September 09, 2009, 01:57:33 PM »
If you have not seen this before......do so now! An absolutely fabulous Stirland army. Not mine, not mine, I just found the link this minute!

Amazing isnīt it???

http://www.dakkadakka.com/core/gallery-viewimage.jsp?i=11385&w=800
Hobbits are stupid, Talabecs are thieves and Averlanders reek of horse shit.

Offline Inarticulate

• Members
« Reply #114 on: September 09, 2009, 03:04:23 PM »
Woah that is actually really nice.

Though not to my taste, I like things a little bit more.. uniform and ordered.

OCD ::heretic::
I for one welcome our new flying cat overlords.

Offline Nicholas Bies

• Members
  • puzzling
« Reply #115 on: November 27, 2009, 03:19:16 AM »
It was the Count of Sudenland, Ben.  Still a good series of books.

I'm not sure where Klausberg would be located.  Any descriptions that could lend any detail?

You sure about that Wiss?
The greatest form of control which can go on forever until it is exposed is a tyranny you can't see, touch and taste (unlike totalitarian Govts). When you sit in a prison cell but can't see the bars, because people don't rebel against not being free when they think they're are.

Offline wissenlander

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #116 on: November 27, 2009, 07:24:42 PM »
Reasonably sure.

not together.

Offline Justnorth

• Members
« Reply #117 on: December 19, 2009, 04:22:47 PM »
Notes:
The Stirland River Patrol is a well-known and uses a Green and White uniform.

I love that colour scheme.
It was particularly well executed in colour photgraphs by the 'eavy metal' team in the 5th edition? Empire army book.
GW can pucker their skanky lips and suck my arse.

He's French. Since when do his plans have to be feasible?

Offline Catesy2021

• Members
« Reply #118 on: December 30, 2009, 03:41:37 PM »
Hi guys

I originally planned to do an Ostland army but a few weeks of paint testing I have changed my mind. Well I have changed my mind around 1000 times but Stirland just feels right.

I'm slowly writing some fluff for the army, and have built a captin out of the Greatsword and the General kit who is called Karl something. Hopefully i will finish painting him over the weekend, and maybe get some swordsmen done.

Offline Eltarach

• Members
« Reply #119 on: April 14, 2010, 09:29:51 PM »
Hail, fellow Stirlanders.

I am new to The Empire, and I'm planning on creating a Stirland army of my own.

The fluff (I guess this means the RP-stuff of your army) is, that the army is lead by Captain Vaclav, who is a battle hardened nobleman with roots in the lost Stirland province of Sylvania. In this province, beast lurk in the dark woods, it's not uncommon for the Skaven to risk exposure above the ground in small raiding packs, and the Skaven lurking in the Vampire ruled Castle Ruins are mostly turned into the undead.
His pack of stout soldiers - The Stirland Ranger Guard - patrol the villages and cities in the lost province, in an attempt of pushing back the evil that has taken root upon the land. Most of the soldiers have fought in many battles before joining the ranks of the Ranger Guard, but the all have one thing in common; They all descend from Sylvanian families, who are now taking refuge in the cities closer to the border of Stirland, or have been forced to flee the province alltogether. They have seen what horrors the evil of Sylvania is capable of, Skaven hordes gnawing their way through entire villages, homes and humans alike. Or the stubborness (or sheer stupidity) of grandparents refusing to leave their homes behind, now coming back from the grave, turned undead by the Vampire Lords residing in the Castles around the region.

The colour theme is basically the same as the Stirland River Patrol, but with a much darker and gothic twist. A bit like the Dark Angels from WH40K. Also I want to add some yellow bits to the army, to pay tribute to the original Stirland colour theme.

Comments and critique is welcome?

/Eltarach

Offline Erkenbrand

• Members
« Reply #120 on: May 26, 2010, 02:46:18 PM »
Erkenbrand - Army of the Reaches - Count Von Hornau, Lord of the Reaches
« Last Edit: May 27, 2010, 11:44:37 AM by Erkenbrand »

Offline Wendersnaven

• Members
  • Kung Fu Dice
« Reply #121 on: June 20, 2010, 07:26:36 AM »
I've finally started painting my army and was thinking what to be.  Hmm, I love the color green, hate undead with a passion, and am something of a river pirate who lives on the Mississippi....

The Stirland River Patrol is perfect for me! (I may be from Wisconsin, but I refuse to use Green Bay Packer colors.)  I have a few blocks of salty swordsmen I want to paint in green and white with matching halberdier detachments.  I have a rather large army collection but after looking at the map I can see it is perfectly reasonable for Nuln to send some units of handgunners which would explain my two units with Hochland champs.  Some artillery and such of mine is already painted Talabheim, whose borders we buffer so I can see them sending those models as reinforcements. I figure it makes sense as long as my main blocks are Stirland. My knights will be of the Black Rose Order and look like the dark version of the Reiksguard as their armor will be black.. The Black Rose will actually be the Saltire (German) Cross of the Empire with a distinct red border- and other red trim throughout their motifs. If I can find enough Flagellant scythes or somehow make them, I may just convert all of my White Wolves (16) to the The Order of the Sacred Scythe, as they are fanatical vampire hunters and could still be called 'great weapons.' I also have vanilla Panthers and lancers which fit everywhere.

I plan to lead the army with rustic soldiers and humble warrior priests who fight against the undead onslaught that is three of my friends.  I need your help answering a few questions.

Is it bad for me to paint pistoliers in Stirland colors?  Would Stirland have their own Greatswords?  How would I explain White Wolves and Teutogen Guard showing up in Stirland?  Is the hawk a particularly Stirlandish symbol? Are people going to hate me for liking to paint the newer soldiers rather than the old 7th I have? (I mean to have my halberds all with bare feet and no feathers; then there's the "intelligent" faces- very Stirlandy if you ask me)

So hello gents. With my new arrival, Stirland will become famous for the taco! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6fJh7j3INmw&feature=related

Dear Friend of Stirland,

Your shoes have been put on backorder. We appreciate your custom.

Hope we are finding you shod,
Stirland

Offline wissenlander

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #122 on: June 21, 2010, 12:54:40 AM »
Is it bad for me to paint pistoliers in Stirland colors?

Not at all.  Pistoliers represent young nobles, and every province has its wealthy young nobles.

Would Stirland have their own Greatswords?

As with the pistoliers.  Just because the overall feel of the province may be poor doesn't mean everything is going to be of low quality.

How would I explain White Wolves and Teutogen Guard showing up in Stirland?

An expeditionary force, perhaps.  Or, this group of Stirlanders just so happen to be heavily devoted to Ulric as well. 

Is the hawk a particularly Stirlandish symbol?

I've attributed that with Hochland myself, however, local livery of a smaller lord could have a hawk easily.  I'm not up to date on the symbols of every province, though, so I could be wrong.

Are people going to hate me for liking to paint the newer soldiers rather than the old 7th I have? (I mean to have my halberds all with bare feet and no feathers; then there's the "intelligent" faces- very Stirlandy if you ask me)

Maybe, but that's a risk you'll have to take! ;)

Welcome to the forum. :::cheers:::

not together.

Offline Alexious

• Members
« Reply #123 on: June 26, 2010, 02:34:01 PM »
Hello All,

Although not strictly a Stirlander, I thought I would add own information here for my newly planned Empire Army. I have been playing GW games since 40k RT days and gave Fantasy up just after the start of 5th ed Fantasy. I have played Skaven and Dark Elves in the past, but have always had an interest in playing Empire and thought with a new rule book will give it a go.

My themed army will be pre VC Sylvannia. (sorry if this had been done to death!). However I love the idea of the Purple/Bone/Red scheme, and as I no longer have a province literally, I thought I would post my introduction here. (I do intend to use some archers as allies of my army the famous archers/scouts of Stirland.)

I want a very traditional Empire Army with a Sylvannia theme so am currently looking at a lot of free company as militia levy with a large central block of halberds acting as the Counts own home guard. (I was rather dismayed to see foot reiksguard have now gone, but may use greatswords instead for something as well).

As I paint and develop the units will do a post in the painting logs.

Cheers and hopefully accepting me into the larger province of Stirland!

Offline Wendersnaven

• Members
  • Kung Fu Dice
« Reply #124 on: June 26, 2010, 08:47:39 PM »
Pre-VC is fine by me.  We need to remember the good times and purple=epic.
Dear Friend of Stirland,

Your shoes have been put on backorder. We appreciate your custom.

Hope we are finding you shod,
Stirland