home

Author Topic: The Province of NORDLAND  (Read 43101 times)

Offline antin3

• Members
Re: The Province of NORDLAND
« Reply #25 on: September 30, 2008, 02:44:46 AM »
Rufus-Thanks for the flag idea I saw it in the library and didn't even think about using it. I will now though. Wissenlander you are right about the gunpowder and I wasn't sure which direction I wanted to go having them closer inland or not. I could see the Nordland army having units from other locations being near the sea but there isn't a whole lot of marine type units to include in a land based army, so I was thinking about a few DoW type units, pikemen and such. Do Kislev's ever venture on over to Nordland?

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #26 on: September 30, 2008, 10:27:26 AM »
Do Kislev's ever venture on over to Nordland?

Definitely. It's right next door, and there will also be Kislevite ships visiting Nordland's harbours.
Hey, I could still beat up a woman!
If I wanted to.

Offline fighter36

• Members
« Reply #27 on: January 20, 2009, 02:35:35 PM »
Is there anymore info on the Wood Elves that live in Laurelorn forest? Could make a for a good campaign if the Nordlanders ever decided to try and drive them out.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #28 on: January 20, 2009, 04:01:39 PM »
Read through this thread, and it makes me want to model a Nordland army, and a navy. :icon_cool:
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline fighter36

• Members
« Reply #29 on: January 20, 2009, 04:22:13 PM »
I agree! I began re-painting my Stirland army last night to blue and yellow. For me it was the thought of a little war between the Nordlanders and the Wood Elves!

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #30 on: January 20, 2009, 04:36:54 PM »
Not rushing off to repaint my Averlanders, but I can see myself perhaps modeing some Nordlanders some day.

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

Offline fighter36

• Members
« Reply #31 on: January 21, 2009, 09:12:22 PM »
Here is a breif overview of my Nordland campaign I am starting.

Skulsgard sits where the River Dempst emerges from the Laurelorn Forest, southeast of Schlaghugel. The town sits nestled up to the forest and has a steady economy from their lumber operations. They are inland enough to not have to worry about raids by the norse people and the evil dark elves. Their main concerns are bandits and the wood elves that populate Laurelorn.

Over the years the people of Skulsgard have seen what the elves are capable of when their saws started to cut a bit too deep into the forest. Fifteen years ago there was much bloodshed when the elves decided that the only way to keep the Skulsgard lumberjacks at bay was to attack the town directly. It took a determined defence and many State troop lives to push the elves back.

As the years past the townsfolk got a feel for where they could go about their operations in peace and where they could not. This has prevented more bloodshed and the town now does not even think too much about their old enemies from the forest. Until now....

Several nobles from Skulsgard have decided that there is much profit to be made among the large trees to the south that the town has avoided for years. They decide to build a large lumbar camp to begin operations as soon as possible. The Elector Count also authorized them to recruit their own State Army unit to protect the town in case the wood elves decide to come back.

The 1st Skulsgard Spears are raised up and begin to patrol the southern approaches between the town and the forest as the logging camp is being built. A young noble from Skulsgard named Gordo Beck is chosen to lead the unit. He is a experienced soldier who cut his teeth with the Nordland Mariners before being called to his hometown to become captain of the Spears.

Little do the townsfolk and nobles know that they are about the unleash an enemy they are not prepared to face. The wood elves are not happy about what is going on and the young commander of the wood elf kinband that watches that part of Laurelorn is known within the forest for his vicious nature when defending his home.

War is coming to Skulsgard....
« Last Edit: January 21, 2009, 09:27:59 PM by fighter36 »

Offline empiresilly

• Members
« Reply #32 on: July 06, 2009, 06:11:00 PM »
A silly question,  Would there be any units of Outriders in the Nordland army?

Also, how would I post pix to this forum?

thanks

Offline Gneisenau

• Members
  • Alleged Ungulate
« Reply #33 on: July 06, 2009, 06:14:14 PM »
A silly question,

Naturally :icon_wink:

Also, how would I post pix to this forum?

You have to host them. Check here:
http://www.warhammer-empire.com/theforum/index.php?topic=17613.0

Offline empiresilly

• Members
« Reply #34 on: July 06, 2009, 07:22:28 PM »
Thanks Gneisenau for the link about photos.

Now, what about the Outriders? Are they in the fluff of Nordland?  I mean I dont want to use them just because the rule book say I must/should. Would they up in the North country or more likely to be found in the Mid or South of the Empire?

Thanks again.

Offline Nicholas Ironfist

• Members
  • Witch Hunter Extraordinaire, Count of Sylvania.
« Reply #35 on: July 06, 2009, 08:01:51 PM »
Nordland is unsurprisinglyy the northernmost province of the Empire and the only province with a coastline,
This I'm sure was an oversite but Ostland also has a coastline. One could also argue that Middenland also has a coastline....be it a small one and posibly only a river mouth (i'm sure this wouldn't stop developers claiming any township being built there as a coastal community)...either way if people are interested in a naval themed army they need not limit themselves to nordland.
Care not for the judgement of others, but go forth and do as you see fit.

Offline Perius

• Members
« Reply #36 on: July 06, 2009, 08:07:28 PM »
Outriders are technically the hardcore of the elite Imperial light cavalry, the Pistolkorps, based in Reikland.

However, that isn't to say that Outrider-like organisations don't exist elsewhere. Whilst I don't play Nordland, in stories about it that I've written a formation called the Nordland Wardens play a big role. They are essentially Outriders based in Nordland.

The justification: Nordland is plagued with bandits and the like in those forests. A rapid response regiment of light dragoons would be vital. The Wardens are just that - armed with carbines, they range far and ride, a bit like militarised Roadwarden regiments of between 5 and 50 strong (depending on whether it's a skirmish or a big battle).

Outriders are the obvious rule-unit to use to represent this.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #37 on: July 08, 2009, 02:24:20 AM »
I suspect there can always be a good enough fluff reason imagined as to why a particular unit is found in any of the provinces, and Perius provides an example of such above. :icon_wink: :icon_cool:

Offline empiresilly

• Members
« Reply #38 on: July 08, 2009, 07:02:54 PM »
Thanks Perius for the fluff and to Gamepoet for making me see it correctly. So Cool I can have some in the Nordland army  :eusa_clap:

They are some cool figures and I was trying to figure out how to use them. My creative thinking part of my brain was destroyed years ago by waay too much of Bugman's Brew  :icon_mrgreen:

Offline Nordland General

• Members
« Reply #39 on: January 03, 2010, 09:42:56 PM »
Hello

Does anyone know any fluff on Salzenmund? or Count Gausser?

Im creating a nordland army called the Stormguard of Salzenmund with the following elements;

- Blue and yellow livery (naturally) state troops
- Nautical and maritime details, banners and tattoos (See uniforms and heraldry book examples)
- Sea dog pirate milita (fresh from the grog house)
- Salzenmund greatswords  (do they often fight without thier count - or are greatswords supposed to be an elite bodyguard unit only?)
- Beards, lots of them, its cold up north, and there is a lot of norse blood mixed in from rape, pillage and migration
- Im going to convert a Count Gausser as there is no mini out at the moment.
- For Knights im going to use Knight Panther (Salzenmund Chapter House) as they are principally based in the north of the empire and match the colour scheme.
- My flagellants are going to be zealots of Manaan with blues and greens as robes...like drowned men..
- Swordsman with detachment of crossbowmen are my Nordlander Marines
- Halberdiers with detachment of handgunners are my Salzenmund Watch
- For wizards, im going celestial as they can double as navigators and weather forcasters for mariners.

The celestial wizard gazes at the stars and his crystal ball and predicts where the norscan raiders will land..where the storm of chaos will come ashore...and he informs Captain Wolfgang Von Lubeck, grizzled veteran of the Stormguard, of the location...the houses of Salzenmunds north street shake as the Stormguards steamtank, the Dreadnaught rumbles north... 

Capt. Lubeck

Offline Inarticulate

• Members
« Reply #40 on: January 03, 2010, 11:29:58 PM »
Salzenmund is the provincial capital and the most important city in Nordland, so I'd guess its the biggest.

This is entirely speculation, but I'd picture Theodoric Gausser as an usurper and downright bastard for throwing Ludwig Nikse out of his position.
I for one welcome our new flying cat overlords.

Offline Nicholas Ironfist

• Members
  • Witch Hunter Extraordinaire, Count of Sylvania.
« Reply #41 on: January 07, 2010, 05:06:08 AM »
A marine unit would be a good idea, I think. 

Also, with the proximity to the ocean, blackpowder may not be the best option.  This very much depends on where in Nordland you'd be at, but the closer to the ocean, the harder it would be too keep the powder dry.  Not impossible though.
I think a unit like HE sea guard would work for marines...handgunners with bayonets, so 1st rank shoots, but in combat acts like a spear unit?
Care not for the judgement of others, but go forth and do as you see fit.

Offline Corryn

• Members
« Reply #42 on: March 24, 2011, 04:27:44 AM »
As to outriders there is the coastal road and several trade roads.  In the rpg book there are road wardens and outriders fit the description very well.

Offline thundercake

• Members
« Reply #43 on: March 26, 2012, 09:20:05 PM »
Right now I am struggling to decide if my army will be from Nordland or Marienburg. Here are my current fluffy thoughts. Army is starting small (750points) so my theme is that this is a guard/patrol group for a small town somewhere on the edge of the Laurelorn Forest, near the Schaukel River. This puts the town within patrol range of the Wasteland, and the coast of the area. I want my group to be a sort of sea guard, they patrol the coast and surrounding area for bandits and keep watch of the ocean for incoming invasions or pirates.

With the Nordland colors of blue and yellow, I am thinking of painting the units mainly a grey sea blue with dark color trousers and maybe a yellow feather. The fluff reasoning behind this is that they are the Dune Wolves, they watch from the dunes and strike quickly when foes land on the beach or are found in their camps. The sea color blends with the northern ocean/sky and the trousers blend in with the dunes.

Still thinking of a town name and a name for my warrior priest (HQ choice). The reason I may affiliate them with Marienburg is that that region has more dunes/wastelands for them to patrol. In this case, I would keep the colors but change the feathers. They would be a patrol-for hire that can be hired to protect trade caravans or to provide muscle to deal with threats of the free-city-sate.

Thoughts?
Don't underestimate a halfling, their ladle will do a number on your stomach, and on your head.

Offline WoT

• Members
« Reply #44 on: April 20, 2012, 11:01:20 AM »
I've just started painting my army as Nordlanders and tried to find a knightly order based in the province and found the Knights of the North Star.

« Last Edit: April 20, 2012, 04:39:10 PM by WoT »

Offline Nordland General

• Members
« Reply #45 on: June 21, 2013, 06:28:22 PM »
Hi Chaps,

Long time no post on the Nordland page, so I thought I would add some stuff.

For non GW purists I have seen some good pirate miniatures on war machine

http://privateerpress.com/warmachine/gallery/mercenaries/units/press-gangers-unit

http://privateerpress.com/warmachine/gallery/mercenaries/units/sea-dog-crew-unit

http://privateerpress.com/warmachine/gallery/mercenaries/units/commodore-cannon-crew

Although they are expensive, they got me hankering again for having a militia unit of sea dogs and also some state troop mariners.

Has anyone actually fielded Mariners, and what did they use in 8th edition rules? Swordsman? Handgunners? Crossbowmen?

Also if you wanted to go for a nautical theme I thought of taking the Folding fortress, as an item for your general and then using the Forgeworld Landboat as your model. Again expensive but damn cool for a nautical themed list....

Hope this has re-ignited any passions for the seafaring nordlanders...

Capt. Lubeck

Offline Dotification

• Members
« Reply #46 on: April 04, 2015, 10:32:55 AM »
Sorry for the necro-post, but I was wondering if anyone know some mini's that could stand in for Manaan on the top of a War Altar??

I am having a heck of a time finding anything appropriate.   :icon_neutral:

Offline Fidelis von Sigmaringen

• Members
  • Attorney-at-RAW
« Reply #47 on: April 04, 2015, 12:32:39 PM »
Just add a trident to an appropriate model. Here is one suggestion:

Great work, both of you!

I ended up redoing my previous War Altar of Manann, and now have this one.

I am not quite sure, though, if a War Altar of Manann really befits a Nordland army.
It is not enough to have no ideas of your own; you must also be incapable of expressing them.
Sex, lies and manuscripts: The History of the Empire as Depicted in the Art of the Time (10/07/16)