home

Author Topic: Independent Armies  (Read 52944 times)

Offline Midaski

• Sunny Sussex, England
  • Administrator
  • Members
Independent Armies
« on: May 05, 2007, 03:41:48 PM »
This thread is for all the other armies not related to a specific city or province.

For example:
The independent city of Marienburg: (Just to keep Grutch happy :icon_wink:)

Cult of Ulric: ( Which some of us still love and hope will make an official 'comeback')

Sigmarite / Witch Hunter: (With the popularity in ED.7 of the Arch Lector, Warrior Priests, and the changes to Flagellants this is a theme that looks likely to be popular.)
« Last Edit: May 09, 2007, 04:36:18 PM by Midaski »
Quote from: Gneisenau
Metal to Finecast - It is mostly a swap of medium. 

You mean they will be using Ouija boards instead of Tarot cards for their business plans from now on?

Offline Big Time

• Members
  • Resident alcoholist
Re: Independent Armies
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2007, 12:19:23 AM »
My army falls primarily into this category, though sometimes I use it as a Reikland army (the colors throw people off, however).

My army is a loose brotherhood pieced together from soldiers all over the Empire with the goal of retaking Sylvania and purging it of undead. The colors of this army are the colors of old Sylvania: Red, purple and black. The leaders are various nobles, businessmen and religious figures who either can trace lineage back to Sylvanian nobility or they are interested for reasons of financial speculation. The rank and file are a mixture of those loyal to the leadership for various reasons and mercenaries. I have a number of Dogs of War units I can include when need be.

My army began as two armies, one a Border Princes themed Empire army and the other an Empire themed DoW army from the Border Princes, both with the same paint scheme to ease sharing of units. I came up with the background and changed the focus after I stopped adding to my DoW army.

Because it is an army from all over the Empire, I consider it a Reikland army in scenarios where my fluff doesn't fit.

I have based its organization on a modern U.S. Army battalion, modified (of course) because otherwise some of the subordinate units wouldn't make sense. For example, I have placed all of the artillery into a battery of its own (D Company) rather than break it into heavy weapons platoons and spread it out throughout the other companies. All of the cavalry falls under the Headquarters Company, though when I get more I may break it off into it's own company and shift the HQ Company to an HQ Detachment.

Here is a breakdown of my Army, by company, as it currently stands. All Models listed are models I currently own unless otherwise noted. The only exception is the BSB. Every company has a BSB listed, but as only one BSB can be fielded at a time I have one BSB model on foot and one mounted, not a seperate BSB for each company. Not all of the models have been fully painted as of yet (hey, I'm working on it). Units are not fielded as shown, this is just how I organize them (because I'm like that). Each company commander has a mounted and dismounted version.

HQ Company

Commander: Count Dante, Lord, General of the Empire
Command Sergeant Major: Gaius Cassius, Hero, Battle Standard Bearer
Executive Officer: Kaspar von Waldenhof, Wizard Lord (I'm considering adding a Templar Grand Master and promoting him to XO)

1st Platoon: 3 remaining wizards, Arch Lector, 2 Warrior Priests, 12 GreatSwords,
2nd Platoon: 24 Knights, various orders
3rd Platoon: 10 Pistolieers, 5 Outriders (models under construction),
4th Platoon: 12 Flagellants

A Company

Commander: Captain
1st Sergeant: BSB

1st Platoon: 25 Halberdiers, full command
2nd Platoon: 25 Swordsmen, full command
3rd Platoon: 25 Spearmen, full command
4th Platoon: 20 Handgunners, marksman

B Company

1st Sergeant: BSB

1st Platoon: 25 Halberdiers, full command
2nd Platoon: 25 Swordsmen, full command
3rd Platoon: 25 Spearmen, full command
4th Platoon: 20 Handgunners, marksman

C Company

1st Sgt: BSB

1st Platoon: 25 Free Company
2nd Platoon: 25 Free Company
3rd Platoon: 25 Crossbowmen, full command
4th Platoon: 25 Archers

D Company

Commander: Veit Feuersturm, Master Engineer
1st Sgt: Master Engineer

Great Cannon
Great Cannon
Great Cannon
Mortar
Mortar
Helblaster Volley Gun

Misc. Units

These are units I have that don't fall into one of the platoons (yet), most of them are from my old DoW army

1X DoW Cannon (converted from Battle Masters Great Cannon)
1X Dow Cannon (converted from new plastic Dwarf Cannon)
2X Galloper Guns (plus Bronzino)
20 Crossbowmen
16 Dwarfs w/greatweapons
20 Pikemen (still under construction)
2X Griffons (one GW, one Reaper) riders under construction
1X Pegasus
Work is the curse of the drinking classes.
-Oscar Wilde

Offline Rufas the Eccentric

• The Old Ones
  • Members
  • Taken from us May 9th 2008 - But never forgotten
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2007, 02:59:22 PM »
For example:
The independent city of Marienburg: (Just to keep Grutch happy :icon_wink:)
So, Kislev, not part of the Empire, gets it's own thread while Marienburg is lumped together with the other remainders and bits.  Yes, there are advantages to being a Moderator.  :closed-eyes: Not that I mind about the Marienburg part.  Now that Grutch's birthday is past, Nordland can resume their rightful claim to this den of thieves.
Sigmar on a sling, the stuff some people come up with. . . .

Karl van Drak

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2007, 09:27:07 PM »
Rather disturbingly, I also have a Sylvanian army, but mine's mainly drawn from the dwindling living population in Sylvania, and is led by a zealous witch hunter, Karl van Drak (the final, distant, descendant of the van Draks), with little regard for authority!

He has constructed a fortified home in Grim Wood and is a constant thorn in the side of the von Carsteins. Expect to see him marching west, into the Great Forest, to burn heretics, as they search for the Nemesis Crown!

Offline Big Time

• Members
  • Resident alcoholist
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2007, 01:44:03 AM »
So, Karl van Drak, it would seem our paths were destined to cross. Tell me, will our swords also cross or will we walk the same path in peace?
-Oscar Wilde

Karl van Drak

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2007, 10:02:09 AM »
It should be in peace, unless fate or circumstance dictates otherwise.

Offline Douchie

• Members
  • The Army of Eastern Stirland
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2007, 03:56:56 PM »
As Commander of the Army of eastern Stirland I'm afriad its my duty to tell you both that Sylvania was in fact anexed by Stirland following Hel Fenn  :lol:

Stirland's offical line is that there is no longer any problem with the undead in the region and that Sylvania is soon to be turned into a beautiful holiday destination for Stirland's high society.

Therefore all your men and resources fall under my direct command....  :unsure:

Dont kill me :-D

Offline Big Time

• Members
  • Resident alcoholist
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2007, 04:26:36 PM »
I was waiting for a Stirlander to get wise.  :eusa_clap:

Yes, Sylvania is temporarily being occupied (rather illegally, I might add) by Stirland. Either you relinquish your claim on Sylvania, or we will relinquish it for you.

The dead may no longer be a problem in Sylvania, but the Deadliest Man Alive, Count Dante, is.

You have been warned.
-Oscar Wilde

Offline wissenlander

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
  • The original Graf of Brennenburg
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2007, 04:39:18 PM »
Now you see what I deal with in Wissenland.  Veldemere is a madman I tells ya!
Me and Wissenlander had babies!

not together.

finding photographic evidense that Wiss smiles is going to be hard...

Offline Midaski

• Sunny Sussex, England
  • Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2007, 04:48:10 PM »
I was waiting for a Stirlander to get wise.  :eusa_clap:

Blimey you are a patient man. :icon_wink:

During the War of the Ostermark Succession the Kislev/Middenland alliance's favourite joke was:

"How do you confuse a Stirlander?"

"Show him a couple of shovels and tell him to take his pick."

:engel:

You mean they will be using Ouija boards instead of Tarot cards for their business plans from now on?

Offline wissenlander

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2007, 04:50:14 PM »
Way to bring back the horrible memories Midaski. :wink:

In case you can't tell my guys chose the side that got the snot kicked out of them.

not together.

Offline SpaceBug

• Members
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2007, 11:44:47 AM »
I'm just now starting up a Marienburger force, and I suppose this is as good of a place as any to collect and keep the fluff on the place. So those that know more then I please do.  :smile2:

Offline Big Time

• Members
  • Resident alcoholist
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2007, 04:27:00 AM »

I like the sound of this Veldemere character, we could use him and those of his ilk...

The Brotherhood of the Lost Provinces unite!!!! Bow before the might of those who wander but are not lost (yes, plagirism, I know) and seek to reclaim what was taken in our time of weakness. But we are weak no more. Those of you who occupy lands by default beware. We are coming...

I wasn't around for the War of Ostermark Succesion, but Stirland had best watch its back.

Weez bout 2 kick it Olde Skool, bootch. Get ready.
-Oscar Wilde

Offline Douchie

• Members
  • The Army of Eastern Stirland
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2007, 11:23:54 AM »

I don't understand?
« Last Edit: June 04, 2007, 11:26:29 AM by Douchie »

Offline Wyzer1

• Members
  • ^My Pic - Stuff I say ->
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2007, 06:21:37 PM »
lol

Its a double meaning. Its saying to choose between the two shovels, by, "Taking your pick" The other meaning is that its refering to is a pick, as in a "Pick Axe". So its telling him to take his pick when there are two shovels...

Not quite as funny when you have to explain it, but good joke Midaski
Long time Wood Elf and Empire player with newly acquired High Elves

Offline Midaski

• Sunny Sussex, England
  • Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2007, 06:31:07 PM »

I don't understand?

Yes Wyzer1 - I think Douchie was double-bluffing the joke - it didn't need explaining. He's a Stirlander isn't he?
and judging by his efforts in the Imperial Office, he has no trouble with language .............

Hmmmmmm ............

Mind you he's also a Geordie so anythings possible........ :icon_wink:

Offline Wyzer1

• Members
  • ^My Pic - Stuff I say ->
« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2007, 06:37:18 PM »
I must have misunderstood. Sarcasm should always have a smiley in them to declare your intention's :icon_smile:

The result is 3-5 wasted posts clearing up the mess, resulting in a general deterioration of the original topic :icon_cool:
Long time Wood Elf and Empire player with newly acquired High Elves

Offline Soju

• Members
  • personal text goes here
« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2007, 10:19:34 AM »
I was so close to collecting a Marienburg army. Why? First White Dwarf I purchased, #239 November issue... with Dave Taylor's Marienburg army vs Paul Sawyer's Children of Chaos army. It had Rutgar, it had witch hunters, the newly released plastic regiment soldiers... the mordheim warband box used for pistoliers and archers (!) not tomention converted pikemen and crossbowmen...

I think Marienburg is a great army. But for now, I'll be mainly a Stirland force. (with possibility that Marienburg's own soldiers will be in my army).

sj

Offline Big Time

• Members
  • Resident alcoholist
« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2007, 01:09:30 AM »
I think Marienburg is a great army.

I agree. I am not as well versed in Marienburg history/fluff as I would like to be but the whole idea of Marienburg is one I find fascinating. It smecks of an Imperial Free city from the Holy Roman Empire, but with another level of Independence. Fluffwise, it seems somewhat unrealistic as the Empire or Brettonia could probably take it if they really wanted to. However free cities did exist in our real history, so why not?

I am putting together some models for a Marienburg mercenary Mordheim gang and find it to be a great change of pace from my normal models. Some good flair and a chance to use models from the old command sprue that I have no other use for.

I must have misunderstood. Sarcasm should always have a smiley in them to declare your intention's

Indeed. Why do we need irony or sarcasm when we have a veritable buffet of smilies we can add as easily as punctuation, but with greater effect? Oh wait, that was sarcastic. Here:  :icon_eek:
-Oscar Wilde

Offline Laerniss

• Members
« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2007, 08:24:16 PM »
Fluffwise, it seems somewhat unrealistic as the Empire or Brettonia could probably take it if they really wanted to. However free cities did exist in our real history, so why not?

Marienburg has been traded back and forth over the centuries.  Perhaps relations between Empire and Bretonnia are admirable enough that they have decided not to fight over the city at this time. Or it could be something else....

Mariegnburg probably employs a large amount of time, wealth and effort playing the Empire and Brettonnia off one another. Fluff also mentions they happen to have a military contigent of elves in the city to protect the interests of the cone-heads.

The longevity of a city/province/nation is not always based upon military might.  That only comes into play as a last resort.

- Laerniss
« Last Edit: August 20, 2008, 07:23:27 PM by Laerniss »

Offline Veldemere

• Members
« Reply #20 on: July 17, 2007, 04:04:28 PM »

Hmmm should check these threads more often, wait till I find that crown, then you will see a madman!

Seriously though if any of you Silvanians need any assistance at any point I think we have been similarly ill treated.
Veldemere, Elector Count of Solland (Elect)
Quote from: wissenlander
  I'm fine with Veldemere and his retinue of disgruntled's

Offline JohnHwangEmp

• Members
Solland?
« Reply #21 on: August 22, 2007, 05:10:46 AM »
What of us Sollanderen?

Offline wissenlander

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #22 on: August 22, 2007, 11:43:44 AM »
Check out the Wissenland thread, there's been a nice discussion on Solland.

not together.

Offline steveb

• Members
« Reply #23 on: November 01, 2007, 09:16:11 PM »
sudenland uber alles!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!steveb

Offline sambofred

• Members
« Reply #24 on: November 03, 2007, 05:54:42 AM »
Working on a army based on an experimental engineers guild located in the Grey mountains near the Gisoreux Gap. I am still filling in the fluff and converting models to fit the theme. Yes to warmachines, neh to flagellants and such...unless I can think of a good proxy unit.
 The fluff will include a Celestial and Gold wizard....hey you need magic to survive the warhammer world...that includes runes :icon_lol:
The actual army list will include 1 uno, ichi, Master Engineer, all of the other models will be generals, captains, and priests only converted to look like Engineers. I will also have a steam tank that will look like a world war I tank....the idea being the the Engineers base some of their designs on the visions of the celestial wizard....