home

Author Topic: The Engineer Tactica: New Article in the War Room  (Read 4297 times)

Offline Atchman

• The Old Ones
  • Members
The Engineer Tactica: New Article in the War Room
« on: August 29, 2003, 11:19:14 AM »
Rufus Sparkfire, has written a treatise on the use (or lack of use) of the Empire Engineer. The article can be found by clicking here
"Do not gloat when your enemy falls; when he stumbles, do no let your heart rejoice"

Offline squig87

• Members
  • The Dude
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2003, 04:45:41 PM »
I liked the articel and agree that engineers arnt good enough. At least the dwarf ones can be put with bolt throwers and actually do some good. I think it would be useful to push for a change in the rules but I still wouldnt use them- I like it when my artillery misfires, it gives my oppostition less to moan about. :P
Citizen Erased

Offline FR1DAY

• Members
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2003, 02:33:44 PM »
One small part that engineers excell in is seige games, as the attacker you generally have 3000pts. Take two engineers just as they are along with three or four great cannons and don't capture the castle; knock it down. If you position all your artillery together with the engineers within 2" of two or three of the cannons each thier re-roll of the artillery dice is great. You don't guess ranges to hit castles so just double slot the cannons ( +1 on the damage table) and roll two artillery dice re-rolling misfires, instant destruction. Then swamp the breaches with cavlary while over running the other walls multiple units of 25 free company with 5 ladders (150pts per unit). Victory i promise
There are 40 different shades of black, so many fortresses and ways to attack.

So why you complaining!

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2003, 03:42:28 PM »
While I take your point that engineers can be useful in sieges (something I hadn't really considered as I have never played one), I think you may be misreading the reroll rules. An engineer must join a single warmachine to use his reroll, and can only reroll one dice per turn - you can't just stand him near several cannons and reroll for whichever one misfires I'm afraid.
Hey, I could still beat up a woman!
If I wanted to.

Offline Sigmarvin

• Members
Nice work
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2003, 03:44:47 AM »
Good article, Rufus.  I agree that the poor Engineer is simply not worth taking.  I would like him to be, and even bought one anyhow because I like the idea, but all he really can do is Speculum or save a cannon on occasion and for a hero slot and 55 pts I'd rather spend 100 for another cannon.  I would like to see them as useful as the Dwarf equivalent.

Offline FR1DAY

• Members
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2003, 09:14:04 AM »
Rufus you are completely correct about the re-roll rules for engineers :oops: only one cannon per turn. But the re-roll is useful as there is no bounce roll you can re-roll either of the artillery for the double slotting. this results in one wall of tower falling every four shots. Even quicker with the 2nd Sign re-rolls on the damage chart. :wink:
There are 40 different shades of black, so many fortresses and ways to attack.

So why you complaining!