home

Author Topic: My other armies plus an update - Valetus's Blog  (Read 40415 times)

Offline Valetus

• Members
Re: Reikland blog - Checkers?
« Reply #25 on: March 08, 2009, 12:44:51 PM »
Realised I had no characters painted for the army so painted a priest, wizard and captain the other day.

Going to work on the greatswords and thier detatchment next.

Offline warhammerlord_soth

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Eurobash : Ascension weekend. Be there !
Re: Priest, wizard & Captain - Reikland blog
« Reply #26 on: March 08, 2009, 12:46:49 PM »
You painted these in a day ?

I hate you...
Have one  on Midaski's tab.  :::cheers:::
Famous last words. R.I.P.

Offline Valetus

• Members
Re: Priest, wizard & Captain - Reikland blog
« Reply #27 on: March 08, 2009, 02:24:08 PM »
Heres todays work so far and an ogre that I didnt have time to photograph the other day:

Also have 12 of the 19 greatswords finished so they should be coming soon as the parent unit for the halberds.

Offline Valetus

• Members
Re: Ogre Greatsword (and a detatchment) - Reikland blog
« Reply #28 on: April 25, 2009, 01:18:30 PM »
Havnt updated this in a while due to lack of feedback but Im hoping I ll get some on my new use for the old bret knights.
Knights Panther

ANy feedback would be much apreciated.
I have also got a unit of empire-style ogres completed, 20 greatswords and some archers made up from the old edition infantry. Current projects are swordsmen and a slightly unusual conversion of the old edition single-part bret archers into crossbowmen. If anyone is intersted in seeing any of these I will get pictures within the week.

Offline peraturabo

• Members
Threadomancy!

I really like your models,when do you continue painting?

Offline King

• Members
  • Island-fortress of Malta
Nice work Valetus.  I am sorry you didn't update this often due to a lack of feedback.  Actually this is what happened to my blog as well so I can understand you but truth is that many would have viewed your progress anyway even if you don't know about it  :icon_wink: I want to see your other projects on here as well though.
We cannot direct the wind, but we can adjust our sails....

Link to my blog http://www.warhammer-empire.com/theforum/index.php?topic=23114.0

Offline ChumpChange

• Members
Is that a new horse head on an old horse body? Looks good either way. I am interested in seeing your archer/crossbow conversions. I have a bunch of those old brets and would appreciate some creative inspiration.
BTW that ogre model looks awesome too.
Doubt is not a pleasant condition, but certainty is absurd. --Voltaire

Offline Valetus

• Members
To be honest I have been out of the hobby a while and only posting. Now Im back to it. I really apreciate the bump on the thread made me notice it again.

In response to that question it is a new head on the old body. They dont fit, but when greenstuffed the gaps get filled and the body fattened.

Offline Valetus

• Members
Apologies for double posting but felt I should take pictures of my work the past few nights. They are very bad quality so bear with me, I will repost them in better positions if wanted.

These are my flagelants. These ones all have shields but it is only due to the image I wanted to create, the rest of the unit (in progress) does not but it was simpler to paint all like models together. There is also a unit filler/phrophet of doom.

Offline Valetus

• Members
One last point for today is that I felt it was important to get the idea of movement into my models. Here are a few examples of what I mean:

This swordsman (more pics when I get time of full unit) takes a swing

These guys hurl themselves forward

Feel I should make an apology in advance for the blood effects on the flaggelants, had to add some to their backs at least but the shield splatters may be too much, I quite like them though.

Offline Valetus

• Members
Re: Valetus's blog - Flaggelants done and WW1 inspired IG
« Reply #35 on: February 18, 2010, 05:45:39 PM »
Well I got the rest those guys done and remembered how to work my camera... maybe :|

If anyone is interested they are a mix of the flaggelants and militia kits. There are a few maruder bits thrown in. The guy in the stocks is made from half an old bretonian archer and the torso of a high elf archer (I wnated to use the sash as a bandage and I have hundreds of those archers)

Offline Valetus

• Members
Re: Valetus's Blog - Falggelants, Horse Archers & WW1 Inspired IG
« Reply #36 on: February 18, 2010, 05:49:33 PM »
Here is one of my horse archers. I can post the rest if anyone is interested. They are either used for my bretonians or as mercenaries.

Made with bretonian, militia and old high elf reaver parts (i.e. legs and horse)

Offline Valetus

• Members
Re: Valetus's Blog - Falggelants, Horse Archers & WW1 Inspired IG
« Reply #37 on: February 18, 2010, 05:53:20 PM »
A sample of my Imperial Guard. The infantry are standard with green stuff conversions and the cavalry is Perry Miniatures unmodified.

Might give the cavalry respirators. What you think? In terms of scale they are a good fit. The horses match the older range of GW models such as the knights' or old unarmoured ones but smallish compared to giant pistoleers horse.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
Re: Valetus's Blog - Flaggelants, Horse Archers & WW1 Inspired IG
« Reply #38 on: February 19, 2010, 01:39:32 AM »
Ah!  There's the info for my question on that other thread regarding how the horsebowmen were created.

It could be neat to see your others if you do post them.  Just posting this one was appreciated. :icon_cool: :::cheers:::
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline Valetus

• Members
« Reply #39 on: February 23, 2010, 07:04:29 PM »
Ok, I will attempt to get a photo of the whole unit.

Current projects are getting sidetracked by my repaint of my Imperial Guard. Wanting to get them to a decent standard as that guy is one of only 30 repainted so far (out of 100 plus weapon teams etc.)

Offline Mathi Alfblut

• Members
  • intres cum fixura sine misericordia
« Reply #40 on: February 23, 2010, 07:36:39 PM »
Hey man! Awesome to see another Empire fellow doing a WWI inspired Imperial guard. I will follow this most closely!
Oh, and remember GW made it personal, not you!

Offline Valetus

• Members
« Reply #41 on: February 23, 2010, 08:01:22 PM »
Could you PM me any details of wheter you have any pictures of your guard in that case? (think I managed to send you a PM but not sure...)

Anyway, I will post some more of the guard as and when done.

Offline Valetus

• Members
Re: Valetus's Blog - Crossbows from bret archers
« Reply #42 on: February 23, 2010, 11:18:30 PM »
Here are my crossbowmen:

And the rest of the WIP crossbows:

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
Re: Valetus's Blog - Crossbows from Bret. Archers
« Reply #43 on: February 23, 2010, 11:35:31 PM »
Did you use bodies from the new archer sprue for those crossbowmen?

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

Offline Finlay

• Members
  • C'mon Son
« Reply #44 on: February 24, 2010, 12:52:52 AM »
I'd love to see the greatswords, and the rest of the horse archers mate!

I like your IG too, they look like mine.
I don't care about the rules.

Pass the machete.

Offline Your Mother

• Members
« Reply #45 on: February 24, 2010, 01:59:55 AM »
I really like the pose on those crossbowmen.
I like cheese.            My Army Blog: http://www.warhammer-empire.com/theforum/index.php?topic=21327.0

Offline General Tomerix Rotenkopf

• Members
« Reply #46 on: February 24, 2010, 12:21:42 PM »
I like them too!
And I have also made crossbow convertions from Bretonnians, howver it is the new Men-at-Arms troops. Not painted yet, though...
Hobbits are stupid, Talabecs are thieves and Averlanders reek of horse shit.

Offline Valetus

• Members
« Reply #47 on: February 25, 2010, 09:09:49 AM »
Did you use bodies from the new archer sprue for those crossbowmen?

No, I used the old one-piece archers that used to come with starter and paint sets. Just sawed off the arms and head. Made up about 40 bretonian archers using the rest of them combined with a box of current bret archers. Went for empire crossbows with the last of them just for something different.

The only problem I have with them is the "flat" sculpting does not suit my painting technique as well. (that of highlighting graveyard earth up with a mix of it and white) Any comments on this?

I will get pictures of my greatswords posted next.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #48 on: February 25, 2010, 05:06:39 PM »
Ah, I have a few of those older Bret archers, and I see what you mean regarding them being relatively flat in style.  However, you seemed to make them look good to me. :icon_cool: :::cheers:::

I've got one box of the new Imperial archers I picked up a ways back, and I'm contempleting turning them into crossbows based off of a picture I've seen of some renaissance era crossbows.  I was oringinally going to try to create some horse archers out of them, yet it looked like it was going to be quite the project with the bodies all being connected to the legs.  Just robbed two arms from them for a crossbowman on horseback already, and there are plenty of bits for various uses anyway.  :icon_biggrin:

Offline Valetus

• Members
« Reply #49 on: February 25, 2010, 10:26:10 PM »
Got the rest of the unit finished tonight, only 5 as they will be a detatchment.

I'm not entirely happy with how the red turned out on these but my blood red paint has got very watery and is poor for drybrushing.

Not sure what to do next, perhaps get the swordsmen finished. Also have a Karl Franz on foot conversion in progress, might paint him for a break in the rank and file.