home

Author Topic: Witch Hunter.  (Read 36996 times)

Offline Mogsam

• Members
  • Resident Jewish Panda
Witch Hunter.
« on: May 12, 2009, 05:01:26 PM »
Either upgradable General of the Empire/Captain or Priest/Lector.

Who doesn't want to burn things? Causes hatred against anything non human/evil. Pointed hat, burning things.

Did I mention he should burn things? Cause fear in necromancers and such..

Mogsam
Curse you and your ability to stay within the lines.

Offline Merrick

• Members
  • I say!
    • http://www.facebook.com/WinHereWinThereWinWinEverywhere
Re: Witch Hunter.
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2009, 05:37:50 PM »
I would.

Offline patsy02

• Members
  • Moderator in charge of Gender Equality (Honorary)
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2009, 07:14:25 PM »
But what role would the witch hunter have that the warrior priest or captain doesn't cover?
I agree with the inhumane treatment of animals.

Offline Mogsam

• Members
  • Resident Jewish Panda
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2009, 07:19:52 PM »
No magic and the fighting skills of a captain. I'm sure he would generate dispel too. That and he really should be in the list.

Mogsam

Offline pcha

• Members
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2009, 07:20:38 PM »
He should generate dispel dice as per priest, and have specific anti undead ability - no raising within 12" and immunity to fear?

Offline Feanor Fire Heart

• His Royal Highness
  • Members
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2009, 07:25:59 PM »
and some sort of ability to burn zombies.  molotov cocktail?  but with hunters are more ment to hunt down mages right?  perhaps autmatic spell resistance of 1 or 2?
Something we as painters and hobbyists should always remember:
“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
― Jake the Dog

Offline patsy02

• Members
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2009, 07:34:15 PM »
Maybe he can be some sort of anti-magic character, not generating any dispel dice but placing major penalties on enemy mages wanting to cast spells(like a 12" buffer zone) and having some sort of bonus when it comes to killing them, so the witch hunter can live up to his title.

Offline bluetwyst

• Members
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2009, 07:44:05 PM »
Killing blow an 5+ against wizards?

Also how about increasing damage by 1 against undead, daemons, and forest spirits.

Offline patsy02

• Members
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2009, 09:16:43 PM »
Killing blow an 5+ against wizards?
That's good, but actually killing them isn't the challenge - the challenge is getting to them, and between hiding in units and riding away on horses, catching them is practically impossible.

Offline Merrick

• Members
  • I say!
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2009, 09:17:16 PM »
But what role would the witch hunter have that the warrior priest or captain doesn't cover?

::heretic::BURNING HERETICS! ::heretic::

Offline fauthsie

• Members
  • Animosity Team GM
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2009, 10:16:50 PM »
One option could to make him an upgrade like the priest of ulric were for miliia units ie leading a mob to burn the witch.... He is going to have several similar bonuses to WP and from what i know of Witch hunters and Warrior priest they work together to drive out heretics

Whether a stand alone character or upgrade here are some ideas for bonuses....

Hatred for Daemons, Undead, Skaven, Greenskins, Magic users
Magicial Wards - MR (2) or MR (1) for units within 6"
Blessed/silver weapons- all attacks count as magical...
burn them - all attacks count as flaming...
Distrust of magic- May not be in the same unit as a friendly magic user (maybe some type of test at the begining of the game if failed the magic user is scene as heretical -1W)
A new Campaigning home....

http://animositycampaigns.com/joomla

FAUTHSIE CAMPAIGN CONSULTING INC.... I MAKE YOUR CAMPAIGN GO!!!

Offline Michael W

• Members
  • In the Name of the Emperor since 2001
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2009, 01:42:58 AM »
I wrote up some ideas for a Witch Hunter a while back.

My concept was that he was, essentially, a character who made the unit he joined a bit better.  He had access to some level of ward save, but not the armour of other characters.  He also had some tricks against enemy characters.

The big thing about him was the ability to motivate his unit each turn.  At the start of each turn, the player declared what ability the Witch Hunter was trying to use and made a Leadership test (Ld 8 Hero).  If successful, the unit got flaming/magical attacks, frenzy, stubborn, or whatever other ability he was granting.  If failed, then...his rousing speech was less than rousing.  It rendered him different from the other characters, but left the Captain as the real fighter, the Priest as the anti-wizard, and the Engineer as...well, still useless.
Let them taste Reikland steel!
----------------------------

Offline Helgrim

• Members
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2009, 10:19:42 AM »
I'd like to see them in a scouting role, with inherent magical resistance and magical attacks and with ITP/hatred. You could buy other skills (similar to the way dark elf assassins work) and send him off to stop small units of things like wraiths, small units of horrors etc.

Offline Toni

• Members
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2009, 10:38:39 AM »
*Fluff police arives*

You know that in a current timeline there is really no much of witch hunters.. Witch hunters were during the time of mordheim so way back in time. This was becouse wizards were considered as chaos worshippers, witches or whatsoever.. But nowdays when there is college of magic and wizards aren't considered as bad guys there is no that much of need for witch hunters. And I think that witch hunters are not the guys leading a complete army. They may have a small warband, but warrior priest is more like guy who goes to war with an entire army.. Which hunters don't do that kind of things. Witch hunters are like FBI but in fantasyworld. :D I just doesn't see it reasonable option for a armybook. In my opinion it just doesn't belong to Empire army.

Well I won't say there couldn't be exceptions, but I think if someone wants to make witch hunter themed army he can as well as use warrior priest counts as.

Offline Merrick

• Members
  • I say!
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2009, 10:40:53 AM »
*Fluff police arives*

You know that in a current timeline there is really no much of witch hunters.. Witch hunters were during the time of mordheim so way back in time.

Not all Empire armies are set in the current times, though.

It gives the force much more variety.

I just doesn't see it reasonable option for a armybook. It doesn't belong to Empire army.

Again, this depends on the fluff of a player's army.

Offline Mogsam

• Members
  • Resident Jewish Panda
« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2009, 10:42:25 AM »
Actually there would be tons of witch hunters. Just because the college of magic exists doesn't mean people would trust them, in fact most of the fluff says the people hate the magicians. Which isn't suprising seeing as how they go round throwing fireballs. Saying theres no witch hunters through fluff is just so innaccurate.

Mogsam

Offline Toni

• Members
« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2009, 10:55:34 AM »
*Fluff police arives*

You know that in a current timeline there is really no much of witch hunters.. Witch hunters were during the time of mordheim so way back in time.

Not all Empire armies are set in the current times, though.

It gives the force much more variety.

I just doesn't see it reasonable option for a armybook. It doesn't belong to Empire army.

Again, this depends on the fluff of a player's army.

Well yes thats true, but still. Witch hunter isn't the guy who takes an entire army with him and then chases one freaking wizard around the empire. He can do it with his warband. He doesn't need army for that.

Actually there would be tons of witch hunters. Just because the college of magic exists doesn't mean people would trust them, in fact most of the fluff says the people hate the magicians. Which isn't suprising seeing as how they go round throwing fireballs. Saying theres no witch hunters through fluff is just so innaccurate.

Mogsam

Yes the witch hunters hunt wizards who practice magic outside the colleges of magic. That is their job nowdays. They don't need army to do it.

And as I said.

Well I won't say there couldn't be exceptions, but I think if someone wants to make witch hunter themed army he can as well as use warrior priest counts as.

I totally accept that if someone wants to make witch hunter themed army, but I just think that it isn't proper option for armybook. And I don't see why people couldn't use captain or warrior priest rules for that.

Offline Merrick

• Members
  • I say!
« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2009, 11:02:59 AM »
In which case, perhaps have a Witch Hunter as an upgrade for a unit of free company of 20 models or greater?

Offline Mogsam

• Members
  • Resident Jewish Panda
« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2009, 11:22:28 AM »
Depends on how strong the wizard is/whether the wizard has supporters/whether he is chasing a chaos army across the land/whether the wizard has joined an army for protection/whether he is hunting a vampire count.

There are tons of reasons a Witch Hunter might need an army.

WP are not particularly good fighters, their skill is their ability to use prayers. Which would not be appropriate for a Witch Hunter.

Captains are slightly better fighters, they cannot do anything. Which makes them rubbish in comparison to a Witch Hunter...and everything else really.

Therefore Witch Hunters would be a good addition. They aren't holy priests or regular captains.

Mogsam

• His Royal Highness
  • Members
« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2009, 01:02:51 PM »
Playing around with army lists I have created a witch hunter before.  I gave him a hand weapon, light armor, pistol, and I forgot if I gave him the sigil of sigmar for magic resistance or a holy relic for ward save.  its been awhile.  Model wise with that he fits the bill, fluff wise the magic resistance and/or the nice 4+ ward save would protect him from magic.  I was thinking of putting him with some flaggies or with a unit of swordsmen.

Now I say he could be the champion of a new unit or an exsisting one like flaggies or free company.  Perhaps if they creaed a new unit it would consist of peasants with torches and pitchforks counting as both flaming attacks and spears?
“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
― Jake the Dog

Offline Toni

• Members
« Reply #20 on: May 13, 2009, 01:08:24 PM »
Depends on how strong the wizard is/whether the wizard has supporters/whether he is chasing a chaos army across the land/whether the wizard has joined an army for protection/whether he is hunting a vampire count.

There are tons of reasons a Witch Hunter might need an army.

Well there is no such great wizard among normal men that you would need a complete army to beat him., A random wizard who happens to be little evil with whole army of followers.. Yea right.. Chaos armies just don't walk to empire and reqruit some random wizard who wants to be bad.. I think if chaos army is going to enter empire it will be noticed quite soon. And if some slightly evil wizard wants to gtfo from empire I think no one couldn't care less.

Vampires are different story. But you know that it takes years and years that a vampire can create complete army of undead. It isn't just piece of cake to raise an complete army. Only few vampires can even do that. Most of them just live normal aristocratic life among the citizen and no one even knows about them.

WP are not particularly good fighters, their skill is their ability to use prayers. Which would not be appropriate for a Witch Hunter.

Captains are slightly better fighters, they cannot do anything. Which makes them rubbish in comparison to a Witch Hunter...and everything else really.

Therefore Witch Hunters would be a good addition. They aren't holy priests or regular captains.

Mogsam

What does make you think that witch hunter is somekind of killing machine? If witch hunter is such an great fighter and even better than captain? Why wouldn't they be leading armies? Captains and generals are very very good fighters among humankind. Very rare man can even reach that kind of level. And so are the warrior priest. I think witch hunter is nothing compared to them. Witch hunters are some random tuff guys who want to make money. They go, ambush and gangbang their target. They just kick their ass while they sleep or something. They don't give them mercy or fight fairly. There is no need to be some Karl Franz to beat some random witch ass. I just personally don't see witch hunter as a hero level character.

In which case, perhaps have a Witch Hunter as an upgrade for a unit of free company of 20 models or greater?

Well this is wonderful idea. I like it very much. Much more like it should be in my opinion.

• His Royal Highness
  • Members
« Reply #21 on: May 13, 2009, 01:16:33 PM »
I feel Toni is right to a point, fluff wise they are the magic secret police.  However I think they should be an option as they still fight vamps and would be a great advisor and fighter against such an army.  Perhaps instead of a new HQ unit they should be a special character and have special abilities when fighting undead, magic, and demons
― Jake the Dog

Offline Obi

• Members
  • Rest in peace Nate
« Reply #22 on: May 13, 2009, 02:12:23 PM »
I think a witch hunter would be an empire captain. 15 points magic items max, and immune to fear.

He is auto armed with a pistol and may not choose any other equipment than any of the armours and/or a shield.

May choose to strike with his torch -> flaming attacks.

Hate all undead and daemons, confers this to any unit he joins.
Hello Athiuen and welcome to the Back Table.

caveat lector
I killed a duck with a spear, can't read train timetables though
"To be is to do"-Socrates;
"To do is to be"-Sartre;
"Do Be Do Be Do"-Sinatra

Offline Mogsam

• Members
  • Resident Jewish Panda
« Reply #23 on: May 13, 2009, 02:34:57 PM »
I never said he was an uber killing machine. I suggested that a witch hunter wouldn't go round with his full plate armour and a sword. He would have better equipment for dealing with evil. How many people genuinely take captains for their fighting skill? That is why he would be better. Unless its on a pegasus or a BSB the captain is worse than a Warrior Priest. There has to be more options for hero level characters or no one will ever take a captain in comparison to a Warrior Priest. A Witch Hunter wouldn't make the list so generic.

You're working entirely on assumptions of things I haven't said. A whole army? Is 500 points an army? Yes it is, but it could be 40 people. Thats not too unlikely, could easily be a cult that size in any large town that might need to flee from a witch hunter and his followers. A witch hunter doesn't wander round with his friend Barry to go kill powerful enemies or vampires. Even a vampires human followers would take this crap witch hunter your describing. (They often have pro vamp humans help them in fluff that isn't the army book of look how badass we are.) Thats not an entire army, but he wouldn't go by himself unless his name was Gunther van Suicidal.

So the wizard has fled to a chaos army, I assume the witch hunter goes, "sod this guys, go let that general kill the wizard, we've done our part. Siesta time!" No chance Witch hunter and Bryan would join the army to smite the evil + MORE EVIL. Whilst they might ambush their target it isn't ALLWAYS going to work like that. Sometimes they would have to fight on a battle field if they can't get to the enemy in an advantage.

I never said make the witch hunter an awesome fighter. If anything he should have the same amount of attacks as a captain, but he should also be better at fighting evil. Which in witch hunter world would be anything not him.

Mogsam

Offline mastercats

• Members
« Reply #24 on: May 13, 2009, 02:40:11 PM »
witch hunters do exist now aays it says in alittle side box some wherei n the empire rule book. They go after anyone uwho dares to try un conventional magic like necroamncers.

Whitch hunters:
high weapons skill
basic strength (s3)
basictoughness(s3)
good BS
3 attacks
generates dispel dice
declares player get to pick who the witch hunter fights in challenges and must when ever given the chance must challenge. The enemy he challenges is force to fight iwht the w hitch hunter.(as the witch hunter chases them down into the unit so quick iwth the sword he hold it ot the throat of any that jumps to attack him.)
enemy wizards with in 12" get -3 to casting.
hates all undead, daemons, enemy wizards, and forest sprites.
Can join scouting units and deploy with them as regular

equiped with a brase of pistol and a hand weapon(for show). light armour
lord choice may only take 25 points of magic items. Can only be magic weapons.

THats what a witch hunter should be i believe. Put him with a rag tag group of huntsmen. Let him do alittle pistol throwing lol. Then when it gets dicing  ru naway let the huntmen take the blame or let the huntsmen get laittle bold and charge to kill a enemy wizard. Or let hte guy go into combat alone and challenge. That way hes a anti magic character killer like non other.  I also comtimplate giving him killiong blow or always strikes first. When i think witch hunter i think the of an extremely cocky person lmao.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2009, 02:44:09 PM by mastercats »