home

Author Topic: Reiters  (Read 20796 times)

Offline Freman Bloodglaive

• Members
Re: Reiters
« Reply #50 on: December 28, 2009, 07:10:40 PM »
Fast cavalry with lances? I like very much.
"Reason is a thing of God, inasmuch as there is nothing which God the Maker of all has not provided, disposed, ordained by reason - nothing which He has not willed should be handled and understood by reason" Quintus Tertullian

Offline Derek Contyre

• Members
  • Duke of Nueremburg
« Reply #51 on: December 30, 2009, 09:47:49 PM »
darn tootin.

I dearly hope that 8th edition gives the empire some core lancer type fast cavalry. It would make my year
A man who builds his army around his fluff . . . respect . . .  :::cheers:::

Offline der Hurenwiebel

• Members
  • Adversus Malum Pugnamus
« Reply #52 on: December 31, 2009, 04:00:09 AM »
yup and I especially hope they don't make us build them as a one type unit.  a couple different armour options and definately weapon system options.  and training options.
"DEfighter wrote:
Hey, trolls stay the hell out, this is a serious thread. Empire are cheese. 2 steam tanks, a war altar and 4 cannons is so obviously overpowered. Anyone who thinks otherwise clearly hasn't had their dragon shot down on turn 1 yet."

oh really now.  LOL ROFLMAO oh the irony.

Offline MagicJuggler

• Members
« Reply #53 on: January 05, 2010, 03:59:49 PM »
darn tootin.

I dearly hope that 8th edition gives the empire some core lancer type fast cavalry. It would make my year

Naturally, taking either shields or heavy armor would remove the fast cav Status, so they wouldn't be necessarily any more broken than, say, Marauder cavalry with flails. Maybe put in a rule to prevent the use of lances with pistols?

Offline der Hurenwiebel

• Members
« Reply #54 on: January 05, 2010, 05:55:01 PM »
I was going to suggest a mutually exclusive rule allowing only one or the other but why they actually WERE used that way in real life so why wouldn't they be used this way in a fantasy game.  The lance is a used only on the charge weapon anyway so 3 points for a weapon used once in a game most likely is a hefty extra price to pay per model.  And it lends itself well to the flexibility of unit types I love so well. Pistol totin hungarian or polish hussars, or HRE transitional lancers double armed with light lance and pistols, they did exist.
"DEfighter wrote:
Hey, trolls stay the hell out, this is a serious thread. Empire are cheese. 2 steam tanks, a war altar and 4 cannons is so obviously overpowered. Anyone who thinks otherwise clearly hasn't had their dragon shot down on turn 1 yet."

Offline MagicJuggler

• Members
« Reply #55 on: January 05, 2010, 07:59:57 PM »
Very good point; with "flexible" rules for light cavalry, one should be able to mimic many historical options. The idea of course was to use Marauder Cavalry as the closest unit of comparison. While Reiters would have more weapon options, the Marauders still have better Weapon Skill and Initiative, Marks, Horselords, and Will of Chaos, so it should balance out roughly.

I will probably rewrite my suggestions for Knights, Outriders, and other stuff later on.

Offline der Hurenwiebel

• Members
« Reply #56 on: January 05, 2010, 09:43:42 PM »
just a thought but have you seen the cavarly rules for all the various types in WAB's beyond the golden gate? or the multitude of Cav types in Age of Chivalry?  If not you should definately look these books up if only for your own edification, these two books combined make up some 90 odd different cav model profiles which all act subtly different, and most of which are what we'd call light cav. 
"DEfighter wrote:

Offline Freman Bloodglaive

• Members
« Reply #57 on: January 18, 2010, 06:50:45 PM »
Wasn't this what Silver Helms used to be like?

Start with lance unbarded steed and light armour and then upgrade all the way to 2+ cavalry?

If they came with that still at about 18 points each (starting) I bet High Elves would consider them a viable option again.
"Reason is a thing of God, inasmuch as there is nothing which God the Maker of all has not provided, disposed, ordained by reason - nothing which He has not willed should be handled and understood by reason" Quintus Tertullian

Offline Fandir Nightshade

• Members
« Reply #58 on: January 18, 2010, 06:52:53 PM »
and you would win that bet 18 inch S 5 cav would be okish as they are there is no reason at all to take them over Dragon Princes.

Offline MagicJuggler

• Members
« Reply #59 on: January 18, 2010, 07:31:13 PM »
Back in the older list when High Elves used a normal Force Organization chart, and Silver Helms were core, it made sense. In the current ASF edition, there's no point to them really...it's rather silly.

Offline Derek Contyre

• Members
  • Duke of Nueremburg
« Reply #60 on: January 21, 2010, 07:51:44 AM »
Force organisation chart, bah, we are the new army of the month, we need no such thing.

Basing our army options of Historically accurate HRE would be the bee's knees, pikes, spears, "elite" halberdiers in plate, greatswordsmen that are good for something instead of getting killed and holding. . .

COME ON GW, get a grip.
A man who builds his army around his fluff . . . respect . . .  :::cheers:::