home

Author Topic: 'All that Glistens' - A Story/Bat Rep Project  (Read 64303 times)

Offline Fandir Nightshade

• Members
Re: 'All that Glistens' - A Story/Bat Rep Project
« Reply #100 on: September 22, 2009, 09:01:41 AM »
My vote goes for the undead as the pygmy player has already forgotten some rules and seems to use the pygmies for the first time not sure how to use them against that dreaded foe.

Offline Padre

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #101 on: September 22, 2009, 10:25:23 AM »
Interesting - Uryens was using my army of Pygmies and yes he has never played them but to be honest I myself don't know what rules he forgot because I myself rarely use them and don't really know the new Lizardmen rules that well.

Out of interest, Fandir, what did you spot? Maybe there was another reason he didn't employ certain rules, or maybe I just haven't brought it out in the report (can't put everything into a storyfied report you know!) Chances are, though, that we just both didn't know the rules/options your conisdering.
Photobucket has now re-destroyed my pictures, so the first half of my collected works thread is no longer working again. To see my website version of the campaign thread, with fully functioning pictures, please go to https://bigsmallworlds.com/

• Members
« Reply #102 on: September 22, 2009, 10:30:47 AM »
Did he drop rocks on the head of units he has passed with his terradons? Why would one ever accept a charge with pygmis (skink skirmishers)? Even archer detachments can beat them up. Salamanders are skirmishers to give them better protection against shooting most of the time they are spitting flame from some sort of cover.

Well and overall he doesn´t seem to have a real plan how to get rid of your units...ok terradons against carronade is not a bad idea but the rest of the army seems to sit back and relax waiting what you will do. That is always the worst thing to do in warhammer, hanging back and waiting.

Offline Padre

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #103 on: September 22, 2009, 10:50:01 AM »
Interesting points, Fandir. I think Uryens might agree with you re: hanging back by mistake with one particular unit - the 'counts-as' Saurus Pygmy Dwarf Boar Riders (Mind you, even I keep thinking 'cos they look like cavalry that they have a better move stat. It's one of the problems with 'counts-as' models.)

But apart from that, many of your criticisms don't apply in practise...

* Dropping rocks I forgot about (having never used it) and Uryens did not know about BUT he would NOT have wasted it on a unit of 10 Zombie handgunners who were killing themselves quicker than the foe. Then he was overun (simply an unexpectedly bad die roll) when the rats charged. So no unit to drop rocks left!

* We didn't think of the Salamanders being skirmishers - BUT the Zombie handgunners have a wierd 'ALWAYS hit in a 6' rule (no DMs apply) and the only other thing that shot at them were the carronades which are cannons. So the -1 to hit DM did not apply at all.

* When he accepted the charge I think he was hoping that he might get lucky and stop them hitting the massed unit with his general in behind before he was ready to get his boars  in a position to flank attack. It was a trick which happened to work! The skirmishers subsequently got away anyway. As for the boars, see my comments above. 

I've not given anything away re: future turns. But do keep in mind, the Luthor Harkon Vampire Fleet Zombie Pirates list is atrociously weak. I mean really, really weak. No magic. No summoning. Strike last. Zombie stats. No Horse. No armour. Restricted marching. An unstable general. And rubbish everything else. Wait 'til you see what the jungle swarms do to the two regiments of 25 zombies!
Photobucket has now re-destroyed my pictures, so the first half of my collected works thread is no longer working again. To see my website version of the campaign thread, with fully functioning pictures, please go to https://bigsmallworlds.com/

• Members
« Reply #104 on: September 22, 2009, 10:56:48 AM »
Interesting points, Fandir. I think Uryens might agree with you re: hanging back by mistake with one particular unit - the 'counts-as' Saurus Pygmy Dwarf Boar Riders (Mind you, even I keep thinking 'cos they look like cavalry that they have a better move stat. It's one of the problems with 'counts-as' models.)

But apart from that, many of your criticisms don't apply in practise...

* Dropping rocks I forgot about (having never used it) and Uryens did not know about BUT he would NOT have wasted it on a unit of 10 Zombie handgunners who were killing themselves quicker than the foe. Then he was overun (simply an unexpectedly bad die roll) when the rats charged. So no unit to drop rocks left!

* We didn't think of the Salamanders being skirmishers - BUT the Zombie handgunners have a wierd 'ALWAYS hit in a 6' rule (no DMs apply) and the only other thing that shot at them were the carronades which are cannons. So the -1 to hit DM did not apply at all.

* When he accepted the charge I think he was hoping that he might get lucky and stop them hitting the massed unit with his general in behind before he was ready to get his boars  in a position to flank attack. It was a trick which happened to work! The skirmishers subsequently got away anyway. As for the boars, see my comments above. 

I've not given anything away re: future turns. But do keep in mind, the Luthor Harkon Vampire Fleet Zombie Pirates list is atrociously weak. I mean really, really weak. No magic. No summoning. Strike last. Zombie stats. No Horse. No armour. Restricted marching. An unstable general. And rubbish everything else. Wait 'til you see what the jungle swarms do to the two regiments of 25 zombies!

I am not 100 % sure on this but I think in the 7th edition lizards you can always drop rocks...each turn. So no more saving those precious jewels for a certain turn.

The -1 hit is great but hiding artillery salamanders in cover also grants you some protection against charges as your opponent has to double the distance for each inch inside terrain placing them 2 " in terrain reduces the range of enemies effectively by another 2" also flyers can´t attack them with flying movement.  I often hide my cannons in terrain so no tzeentch heroes, bats, flying monkey of the witch of Oz will get them.

Offline Padre

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #105 on: September 22, 2009, 11:12:51 AM »
Again interesting points. But ...

Terradons drop rocks once per game even in this edition.

Hiding the carronades wouldn't have worked in this game even if there had been trees to hide them in 'cos the Terradons are arboreal and can land in trees (unlike other flyers).

As for hiding his salamanders - there was nothing threatening them with the possibility of a charge except for the rats, and Uryens thought he could outrun them if necessary (and should have done statistically) thus drawing them away from other units. The razortooth rats are skirmishers and so would not have been slowed by difficult ground anyway.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #106 on: September 22, 2009, 11:20:59 AM »
Ah!  The experience of the infamous Watersnake hunt strikes again! :icon_biggrin:

Ya got to love the names of the pygmy leaders, too. :icon_cool:

It's early, but I'm cheering for the pygmies. :::cheers:::
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline Uryens de Crux

• Members
« Reply #107 on: September 22, 2009, 12:07:14 PM »
#The skirmishers accepted the charge because to avoid being autokilled I would need to roll 12 on the evade dice (The Pirate King and his hulks having a 12" charge and only being an inch away)

Best take the charge and hope to do some damage, rather than be sure you'll just get slaughtered.

#Dropping rocks, I thought it was once a game (it isnt flyby attack which always happens and you can zig-zag about) - I just forgot the rats were skirmishers, and then rolled poorly on my evade. (Interestingly I always prefer to stand than to evade ususally because of just that kind of thing awlays happening to me)

#Salamanders might be skirmihers and fire shooters, they are also pretty damn tough in the fight. Plus they had nothing agaisnt them causing problems.

#The boar riders werent in combat where they were at this point in the scrap, but they were one of the first units I placed, and so served their purpose in makeing sure Padre put his strength elsewhere (perhaps, perhaps he just ignored them)

#As for the rest of my plan, I do have one, honest ;)
We go to gain a little patch of ground that hath in it no profit but the name.
The Free Company of Solland

The Barony of Wusterburg

• Members
« Reply #108 on: September 22, 2009, 12:19:46 PM »
Than I was cheated last tournament!  :Ohmy: nasty lizard player droping rocks on me like some pigeons crapping on statues. Well the dice gods punished him as his slann managed to panic into my knights after my cannon killed his skink chief stegadon beside him with one shot.  :biggriin:

Offline Von Kurst

• Members
« Reply #109 on: September 22, 2009, 01:21:18 PM »
Great report Padre!
I'm completely unfamiliar with the new lizards and I used to get quite lucky with the zombie pirates before everyone figured out their weaknesses.

Sooo... I vote pygmies.
“Why is the rum always gone?” -Captain Jack Sparrow
"It is, it is a glorious thing To be a Pirate King."
 -Gilbert, Sir W(illiam) S(chwenck)

Offline Padre

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #110 on: September 23, 2009, 09:52:03 PM »
Battle of the Swamps   Part Four- Turns 3, 4 & 5

Now the second swarm of jungle creepy-crawlies hurtled into the leftmost Zombie regiment, where things began to get messy. Between them the two swarms brought down 7 zombie pirates, while the undead only managed to kill one tiny spider (and in truth the zombie did it by falling on it). The swarms were not just holding their own: they were slowly but surely tearing the zombies apart.

Goakitlan managed to rally the fleeing Pygmy Skirmishers so that they now took up position on the left of the large Pygmy Braves regiment led by Bontanoan and Chief Atta-Ooga. Off to their right the Pygmies riding Dwarf-Boars attempted to manoeuvre themselves to lend support.

Finally Bontanoan, Goakitlan and the Pygmy shaman had some luck with their magic and two of the Scurvy Dogs were fried by lightning. This success might have emboldened Bontanoan to take a risk, for he tried to force the spell ‘Bear’s Anger’ to take hold on himself, but the winds of magic remained unreliable in the presence of the blue skinned enemy commander and he ended up hurting himself as he fumbled the spell. Goakitlan winced, for he too felt his spawn brother’s pain.

The Salamanders were now close enough to send blasts of liquid fire over several foes, and chose this time not to aim at the carronades. They hurt not only the rat swarms in front of them, but also the Zombie Handgunners and the Scurvy Dogs. The Razortooth Rats seemed to be spurred into further action by this singeing fire, and charged into the Pygmy Skirmishers on Bontanoan’s army’s right, which made the Pygmy Shaman amongst them fair dance with fury. Of course the blowpipe armed Pygmies attempted a countershot against the swarms (Game note: 34 shots - causing only 2 wounds!)

Grand Admiral Galdabash led his Hulks in a charge against Bontanoan and the Pygmy Braves, with his Undead Wyvern joining in the charge. Somehow the Pygmies and their living god found the nerve to stand against this. The little warriors fell in droves against this onslaught, Galdabash tearing their champion in two and splashing his blood all around. Only one Hulk fell during this brutal affray, and the Braves (failing to live up to their name) fled away in despair, their little legs carrying them just faster than the Rotting Undead Wyvern. Galdabash also attempted to pursue, but such was the width of his unit that he ended up crashing into the recently rallied Skirmishers and Goakitlan (again)!

One Carronade, fighting fire with fire, finally brought down a Salamander, but in the centre of the field Galdabash’s force was not doing well. Once again zombie after zombie was overwhelmed by the jungle swarms, their undead brains entirely unable to contend with the skittering speed of the jungle critters. Yet the swarm of Razortooth Rats could not emulate the enemy swarms’ success, and found themselves being stomped on and crushed by the Pygmies’ nimble feet.

Bontanoan shrieked another of his shockingly high pitched cries and thus willed his warriors to rally. Closer to the centre the Dwarf Boar Riders shuffled about a bit once more, still uncertain of where and how to deliver their attack. As they wondered what it was their living god would want them to do, suddenly Bontanoan himself, still reeling from the after effects of his miscast and trying to re-cast the same spell, somehow messed it up a second time! The resulting wave of undirected magical force washed through his skin to his heart and liver, then gushed outwards in explosive force to tear all life from his frame.

The living god was … well, no longer living!

His spawn brother Goakitlan screeched in despair, a sound entirely different to Bontanoan’s rallying cry of a moment or two before. Distracted, he failed to parry a blow from the shambling undead Hulks in front of him and his blood was also spilled - though he was still (for now) alive. When nigh upon a dozen Pygmy Skirmishers fell to the Vampire Fleet Admiral’s rage and the might of his Hulks, Goakitlan’s wits fled from him. Wounded, bereft of his brother, he joined his skirmishers in flight and when this time they could not escape, he was cut down.

Now the Pygmy Braves found themselves fighting the blue vampire once more, though to be honest they barely noticed, trying to take in the impossible fact that their god had just burst and died right amongst them!

The poor Braves had no chance at all and ten died. They too fled, only to be chased by the crazed Galdabash and his monstrous bodyguards.

The Salamanders, who did not even know they were being led by a god, returned themselves to the artillery duel and laid low one of the carronades’ crew with fire…

… while more and more Zombies collapsed in the fight against the swarms.

The Undead Wyvern joined Galdabash (probably unnecessarily) in the fight against the Pygmy regiment, while over on the other side of the battlefield the Scurvy Dogs threw themselves at the Skirmishers currently fighting the rats. As both Carronades drew blood from the Salamanders (Game Note: Very frustrating - 1 and 2 wounds respectively, from D3 wounds weapons, thus killing neither of the 3 wound creatures!), the Pygmy Skirmishers proved their worth and by killing enough Dogs and Rats they so weakened the curse holding the undead together that the remaining foes collapsed too!

At that moment a Bloated Corpse finally got to the Dwarf-boar Riders. Of course they dispatched the shambling bag of bandages easily, but found out to their cost the danger of doing so. It burst, releasing noisome odours so strong that they killed two of the Pygmies.

By now there were hardly any Zombies left from the two regiments in the centre …

… so the Pygmy Dwarf-Boar Riders turned to face the other regiment that had come around the flank.

The Zombies, however, were still too far away for them to charge, and had stopped moving forwards themselves. Some part of their fragmented minds knew that to get any closer to the Boar Riders would have been a pointless sacrifice. So they stood, motionless, staring with empty (sometimes quite literally so) eyes at the riders.

The Skirmishers on the far right of the Pygmies’ line moved towards the centre a little, felling two Zombie Handgunners with their blowpipes, while the Salamanders advanced and breathed enough fire to kill the remaining two Zombie crewmen on the Carronade they had targeted before. Only one working Carronade now remained.

While Galdabash chased off the last of the Pygmy Braves, the last Carronade tried its luck once more. Apparently, it had none left, for it blew up. A split second later a lesser explosion heralded the rather smaller fracturing of the barrel of a Zombie Handgunner’s piece, and its wielder was also destroyed.

Without Bontanoan or Goakitlan to lead them, the Pygmies now began to back off in confusion. Few believed the gods were actually dead, though they could plainly see both had left the vessels they had employed for their earthly manifestation. Whatever the theological truth, the will to fight had gone. They wanted to get away, return to their land, and discover if the third god, Ta-Dino-Po, had also died. If so, then they would have some real worrying to do.

By the time Grand Admiral Galdabash returned to the field the enemy had melted away into the jungle and swamps, and he decided that this meant it was a victory. For the briefest of moments he felt satisfaction, until it occurred to him that he had gained nothing from this battle, but had only been made weaker. He was now less able to fight the Pirates on the river.

Yet even if he was weaker, he had to fight them now. For only by killing them could he replenish his ranks, repair his forces with zombie pirates, and begin once more his search for the fabled city of gold.

Result:
1572 VP (Pygmies) to 1405 (Zombies) so a winning draw to the Pygmies.

Game notes:
The story reads like it was a win to Galdabash, but points wise it was actually a draw in the Pygmies’ favour. The game actually ended in turn 5 (at the point marked **), for the reason that nothing would happen in turn 6: there was no-one who could or would charge, no-one who could shoot, and no magic wielders left. The Dwarf-Boar riding pygmies could advance towards the zombies, but I was never going to charge them in turn 6 as it would have been throwing away points. Interestingly I don’t think I can remember a game where with so much left on the field nothing could happen to change things in the last turn. Not one VP would have changed!

(Oh, except the last zombie handgunner could have died, giving + 35 VP to Uryens.)

Yet, and I hope Uryens will back me up on this - in terms of the story, it was perhaps more of a win to Galdabash. He still lives, and commands the core of an army. Let’s face it, many of his undead will eventually get up again to fight for him once more! The Pygmies, on the other hand, have lost two of their living gods! Now that has to mean something.

Then again, the Pygmies now know what they are dealing with, and Tadinopo still lives to gather the other tribes. Next time they will have ‘Gorrilagors’ and a Stegadon to bolster their fighting strength. Next time they could sweep the foe off the board!

NB: Like with other campaign games using my figures on both sides, I showed both army lists to Uryens first and described them in full so that he could choose which one he would play. I believe one cannot do fairer than that with such story-influenced (and not remotely tournament style) army lists.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2011, 05:10:26 PM by Padre »

Offline Von Kurst

• Members
« Reply #111 on: September 23, 2009, 10:52:51 PM »
Woot! Great story and presentation as always.

I do think that counting characters that are eliminated in the game as killed is a bit too bloody.  They are heroic figures after all!

Offline Uryens de Crux

• Members
« Reply #112 on: September 23, 2009, 11:07:38 PM »
I had terrible luck with magic (I always seem to) and not being used to swarms I was surprised how well they held up the Zombies, being jungle swarms those poisoned attacks are what told really.

Next time I will be more confident of letting them do their job and getting the boar riders into combat.

And I wont forget that swarm have 360 charge arc!

Overall though, yes, it felt like a win to Galdabash (since my (very expensive) general was killed)

The Barony of Wusterburg

• Members
« Reply #113 on: September 24, 2009, 07:42:47 AM »
But well he was killed by himself, that has to count for something.
 :::cheers:::

great report and thanks a lot for sharing.

Those undead pirates suck real bad but they have style.

Offline Padre

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #114 on: September 24, 2009, 08:16:07 AM »
I do think that counting characters that are eliminated in the game as killed is a bit too bloody.  They are heroic figures after all!

I would agree with you wholly if this were a story-campaign played in a strategically competitive manner by friends (like previous ones I've done). We had (like I think you suggested before) wound charts and only had Ok'd characters definitely die. But althought the games are full on games between two players both doing the best they can, the campaign otherwise is more story than campaign. For a start I am writing all sides, though I sometimes GM the battles. The story is a way to find a use for and provide a background to, some of my less used armies.

@ Fandir: They do suck, but Uryens gave me some advice on how to re-jig their composition, and next time I will have two ('new?') rotting Leviathans in the rare slot. The large swarm of rats will go 'cos everyone now knows it's rubbish.

Offline Uryens de Crux

• Members
« Reply #115 on: September 24, 2009, 08:32:10 AM »
I dont think the swarms are rubbish, just that compared to 6th ed they are and more importantly they are hugely overpriced

The cutting edge the jungle swarms had was being poisonous.

The Barony of Wusterburg

Offline Padre

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #116 on: September 24, 2009, 11:02:53 AM »
What Uryens just said.

Offline Captain Tineal

• Members
  • You will join me or die! Could you do any less?
« Reply #117 on: September 24, 2009, 02:50:26 PM »
I dont think the swarms are rubbish, just that compared to 6th ed they are and more importantly they are hugely overpriced

The cutting edge the jungle swarms had was being poisonous.

And they were fighting Zombies, which are worse in combat than Gnoblars!  :icon_wink:

Great job so far Padre, you've set the bar pretty high with your previous reports, but you always deliver a great read.
I don't know what a pisolires is but it sounds like a musical instrument you play with urine...

Offline Uryens de Crux

• Members
« Reply #118 on: September 25, 2009, 12:02:33 PM »
Actually, we were using older rules for zombies, so they werent too terrible in combat

The Barony of Wusterburg

• Members
« Reply #119 on: September 25, 2009, 12:16:29 PM »
But they were braindead....so always strike last.

Zombies had their peak with the Sylvania list, I mean Zombies with Halberds so S 4 it won´t get any better than that.

Offline Uryens de Crux

• Members
« Reply #120 on: September 25, 2009, 12:31:05 PM »
True, that +1 strength trumps everything doesnt it ;)

The Barony of Wusterburg

• Members
« Reply #121 on: September 25, 2009, 12:39:47 PM »
Yes it made them mucho awesome sauce.  :biggriin: :::cheers:::

Offline Padre

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #122 on: September 25, 2009, 04:19:15 PM »
Braindead is the thing that makes them rubbish - though interestingly the Zokbie Pirates of the Luthor Harkon list are WS3 which was better than old zombies.

We used old VC rules 'cos the Harkon list was made with them in mind - I may move onto the new VC rules next time. No braindead might make a tiny bit of a difference.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2009, 04:42:26 PM by Padre »

Offline Uryens de Crux

• Members
« Reply #123 on: September 25, 2009, 04:29:54 PM »
Zokbie?

I dont know what it is, but it sounds dangerous...

The Barony of Wusterburg

Offline Von Kurst

• Members
« Reply #124 on: September 25, 2009, 11:32:33 PM »
Actually I liked a Zombie Pirate gunnery mob with a brace of pistols in 6th.  2 ST 4 attacks in the first round at WS 3, but Braindead for the whole army pretty much sucks.