home

Author Topic: Another damn halberdier fix  (Read 12120 times)

Offline t12161991

• Members
  • Let's Go Blue!
Re: Another damn halberdier fix
« Reply #25 on: November 14, 2009, 10:28:18 PM »
Wow. I never put the 5+ save and two handed bit together before...
LOLOLOL AND THATS THE FORUM GENIUS SPEAKING LOLOLOLOL ONEONEELEVENTYONE

Sorry, couldn't resist ;)

Probably because I have never played an army with spearmen on a regular basis...
Grutch:  Careful, someone I know on a forum I visit works for Sony.  He says they aren't to be trusted.

Hail! to the victors valiant
Hail! to the conqu'ring heroes
Hail! Hail! to Michigan
The leaders and best!

10-2

Offline Holland

• Members
« Reply #26 on: November 15, 2009, 02:56:03 AM »
Actually fluffwise the Empire doesn't seem to have advanced much.

Compared to our real world Europe where 1000 years took us from knights with lances to thermonuclear bombs, the Empire is frozen in time. We're supposed to be the innovative peoples, where's our thermonuclear device?

Where's our magically enhanced supersoldiers in steam-powered armour?

I would like to second this statement.

:::cheers:::

I apologies in advances for all the thing I am about to say O_O

Offline t12161991

• Members
  • Let's Go Blue!
« Reply #27 on: November 15, 2009, 03:58:48 AM »
Try 500ish years really. Knights as advanced as those represented by the Empire and Bretonnia would have been around in the 14/15th centuries....
Grutch:  Careful, someone I know on a forum I visit works for Sony.  He says they aren't to be trusted.

Hail! to the victors valiant
Hail! to the conqu'ring heroes
Hail! Hail! to Michigan
The leaders and best!

10-2

Offline Freman Bloodglaive

• Members
« Reply #28 on: November 15, 2009, 04:21:39 AM »
Try 500ish years really. Knights as advanced as those represented by the Empire and Bretonnia would have been around in the 14/15th centuries....

Does Empire fluff say how long they've had their knights?

In the Western world we had the motivation of free market capitalism and regular conflict, and the philosophical belief that progress was possible, and that it was a good thing. Technology advanced in an arms race between making armour that would stop a weapon, then making weapons that would pierce that armour. I read somewhere that 17th Century Spanish plate armour would stop a musket ball while only weighing about 70 pounds. I suppose that would explain why our knights have armour as good as they do.

I'd guess that the ongoing war with Chaos would provide the motivation to develop technology, and magic, but perhaps there isn't the philosophical belief that progress is necessary (well that could be the fault of the games designers who don't want to give Empire too much good stuff). Each edition we get even more ramshackle equipment that is more likely to hurt us than our opponents.

What are we? Orcs?
"Reason is a thing of God, inasmuch as there is nothing which God the Maker of all has not provided, disposed, ordained by reason - nothing which He has not willed should be handled and understood by reason" Quintus Tertullian

Offline Inarticulate

• Members
« Reply #29 on: November 15, 2009, 01:25:43 PM »
At the time of Sigmar, they were like bronze age tribes. 2000(ish) years later and gunpowder was invented, 1500 years after that and we haven't advanced at all.

An Industrial Revolution is needed rather soon.
I for one welcome our new flying cat overlords.

Offline Freman Bloodglaive

• Members
« Reply #30 on: November 16, 2009, 05:43:46 AM »
We shall have to become like medieval England with low taxes and incentives to innovate.
"Reason is a thing of God, inasmuch as there is nothing which God the Maker of all has not provided, disposed, ordained by reason - nothing which He has not willed should be handled and understood by reason" Quintus Tertullian

Offline kk14

• Members
« Reply #31 on: December 17, 2009, 12:29:33 PM »
Reply to the OP:

None of our core infantry should be able to get a 3+ Armour save. That's ridiculously high.

Permit Heavy armour but then remove shields as an option, or don't permit both to be purchased.

There are already like 3 halberdier threads. Is this one needed?
If you can't convince the voters to accept your view, and you take to the gun, you are by definition anti-American.

Veni, Vidi, domum meum redire volo.