home

Author Topic: Mortar Batterys  (Read 7301 times)

Offline Backwater

• Members
Mortar Batterys
« on: October 11, 2009, 09:07:35 PM »
Mortars are great tools of war but sometimes not really liked by many empire players since Great Cannon usually comes in more dire need.

What if Mortars (or even Hellstroms) could deployed in an battery, with extra points cost you could take two mortars in one slot and deploy them within 3" of each other and benefit from some special rule like better accuraty or something.

-Bw
Dead-on...

Offline T0m

• Members
  • Well hello...
Re: Mortar Batterys
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2009, 06:24:33 PM »
I'd say we need some light artillery for the batteries. Make the Mortars smaller and less effective, yet make them more in a bunch than cannons. Then we'd have a GREAT Cannon and batteries of deadly template guns.  :happy:
Vivat Imperator in aeternum!

Offline Union General

• Members
  • Kicking butt since 1863.
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2009, 01:02:37 AM »

What if Mortars (or even Hellstroms) could deployed in an battery, with extra points cost you could take two mortars in one slot and deploy them within 3" of each other and benefit from some special rule like better accuraty or something.

Maybe the ability to Indirect Fire?  :unsure:

-The General
I like your thinking  Mr. General  what a Genius

Offline der Hurenwiebel

• Members
  • Adversus Malum Pugnamus
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2009, 04:25:01 AM »
I think we covered a bunch of this in other mortar threads, I'll let you guys go round the mulberry bush a couple more times and see where you find yourselves. 

I know where I stand on improving or making mortars more desirsble or just as desirable as cannon.
"DEfighter wrote:
Hey, trolls stay the hell out, this is a serious thread. Empire are cheese. 2 steam tanks, a war altar and 4 cannons is so obviously overpowered. Anyone who thinks otherwise clearly hasn't had their dragon shot down on turn 1 yet."

oh really now.  LOL ROFLMAO oh the irony.

Offline Pistol Pete

• Members
  • Pistolicious!
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2010, 04:09:14 AM »
The main problem with the mortar is that it's only str 3, which makes it much less effective against T4 opponents.

How about if you could fire another type of round that was str 4, small template to reflect a more powerful round with a more limited range?
Desperately seeking Chaos Warrior heads & Skull banner tops from new empire missle troops sprue.  Will trade for bitz, barter, or $$$.  PM or email me to discuss details.

Offline Joelatron

• Members
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2010, 07:09:46 AM »
or just make them like stone throwers. Small template, s5/10.

Offline der Hurenwiebel

• Members
  • Adversus Malum Pugnamus
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2010, 03:07:18 AM »
+ 25 points and strength 5-7 respectively same as the old mortars, even have this as an option so ppl can take the cheapo mortars or the pricy ones.
"DEfighter wrote:
Hey, trolls stay the hell out, this is a serious thread. Empire are cheese. 2 steam tanks, a war altar and 4 cannons is so obviously overpowered. Anyone who thinks otherwise clearly hasn't had their dragon shot down on turn 1 yet."

oh really now.  LOL ROFLMAO oh the irony.

Offline erik maas

• Members
  • Dutch Student best empire player at my club
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2010, 03:17:18 PM »
This sounds great, but with the recent rule change i like the current mortar.
It doesn't have S4 but it does have AP and a large template.
I've played games with them now, and must say, i love them ^^.
large template makes you able to almost always hit something, and you can hit more then 1 ting. Thus making up for the -1 str.
say you hit 20 orcs. that would make 5's so wound and make it 7 kills.
Now a stone trower would get 12? to hit on 4's that makes it 6 kills.

Now if we scatter more then 4" the mortar still hits, but the stone trower doesn't.

I vote, keep mortars as they are.
8th edition empire (2/1/0)

Everyone knows that the only time Chuck Norris ever cried was when he meet Luthor and realized he was the second most badass man in the world.  :engel:

Offline Union General

• Members
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2010, 06:13:23 PM »
I HAVE RETURNED!  :-D

On an unrelated note, 8th edition has made mortars far more effective. Now, I rarely field a list without one. It's just worth the 75 points to have a large blast that auto-hits everything beneath it. Muahaha...

-The General

Offline Inarticulate

• Members
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2010, 02:31:44 PM »
You're back!

And with Mortars!
I for one welcome our new flying cat overlords.

Offline Union General

• Members
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2010, 06:28:38 PM »
You're back!

And with Mortars!

Indeed, I am! And now, the new and improved Union General, complete with pigeon bombs.
Also, the Mortar, especially now when taken in groups, has a great psychological impact. For best results, combine it with a Rocket Battery or two and watch the look on your opponent's face when you drop 4+ large blasts per turn.
Or have your opponent watch your face when they misfire and explode.

-The General