home

Author Topic: New Battle Report in the Library: Empire versus Lizardmen  (Read 10074 times)

Offline Atchman

• The Old Ones
  • Members
New Battle Report in the Library: Empire versus Lizardmen
« on: May 19, 2004, 12:55:16 AM »
Thanks to the LWGA group for letting us post their excellent Battle Report in the Library.  Can the Jesse the Just vanquish the Lizardmen and win the championship?  Read the article and find out!

http://warhammer-empire.com/LWGA%20Battle%20Report1.htm
"Do not gloat when your enemy falls; when he stumbles, do no let your heart rejoice"

Offline bigrin42

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2004, 03:31:09 AM »
Sounds like a great game!  I enjoyed reading the report.  Keep up the good work and CRUSH those lizards!'
Brad G.

http://www.sleepless.to/brad

- Warhammer-Empire Technical Support: Making your experience worth every penny you paid for it

Offline Atchman

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2004, 04:05:01 AM »
It just shows how vulnerable Lizardmen really are to an Empire army.  Empire has all the answers for them.
"Do not gloat when your enemy falls; when he stumbles, do no let your heart rejoice"

Offline Karl Schimmelfennig

• Members
  • Servant of the Slann
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2004, 07:02:33 AM »
Mind you, the Lizardmen player took a pretty craptacular list.

Common sense dictates you don't take a unit of skinks less than 13 - they are far more vulnerable to panic tests when you only have to kill 3 models instead of 4.

2 packs of Salamanders is ok against Empire, but if one is going to be cheesy, why not go all out?

Myself, I only take one pack of three, as do most people.

And his deployment? WTF?!?!

Why on earth would be place his Kroxigors so far away from the swarms? The oldest and best trick for dealing with Empire Knights is Kroxigors - he put down his Kroxies in the middle of the board, as far away from all three units of knights as possible. If he'd chucked some Kroxies over near the Swarms, he could have mashed those Knights fighting the swarms no sweat. I'm sorry to rant, but that was just such a bone-headed error I still can't believe he did it.

In the end he got charged by a ranked up unit and deservedly lost. What a douche. Any decent player knows that against Empire, Kroxies have one purpose = to kill knights, coz there's not much else in our list that can do it.

In the end, I think the result was fair. It rewarded excellent tactics on the part of the Empire and amply penalised the moronic tactics of the Lizardman player.

An 18" charge range does not a game winner make. Hopefully Friq-qar will take that on board and save we Lustrians further embarassment at the hands of the Empire. :)
Famous Quotes from History:

"To beat the French."

The Iron Duke summarises his battle plan at Waterloo.

Offline Kaz

• Members
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2004, 07:40:55 AM »
What Karl said, the lizard list was extremely poor, and played even worse.

Mind you, I would say the same ting aboutthe empire one.

Actually I've found that with lizard empire is a very easy army to beat.. don't let this not so impressing lizard player fool you...
It is better to be silent and have people think you're stupid, than to open your mouth and prove them right.

Offline Atchman

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2004, 11:28:10 AM »
With all due respect Kaz, I find that I own Lizardmen with my Empire army.  I've never lost to them at any level, tourney or otherwise.  One of the best players in our area has a Lizardman army.  He almost always finishes in the top one or two in local tournies, yet he has never even came close to defeating my Empire army.  

As for the lists, obviously they were doing well with them or they wouldn't have been in the championship.  The LWGA group seems to be filled with pretty good players.  Visit their website and read some of the other battle reports.  Jlutin, I think has played with them before.  Their lists must fit their playing style.  Also remember that they use 1900 pt lists with a 300 pt flex list.  That allows a player, to a point, to configure an army to defeat that specific foe.

www.lwga.org <<<<<click here to visit their site.

http://www.lwga.org/BattleReports/EmpirevsBeastOct2003/battle_report_.htm   <<<<<<<<Jlutin's battle report

I find Saurus units and their heroes "wicked hard". They are some of the best infantry in the game-bar none!  However, when a unit of handgunners gets an LOS to them, they die just like 6 pt Orcs.  Though a crap load of ST 4 attacks are good, they still have a heckuva time with 1+ save knights.  

A while back I used to use little 16 man Halberdier units just for some CR, with a small detachment of free company of 5.  A totally nothing unit.  Their goal is life was CR on things that broke through my lines.  I can't count the times that little unit broke units of Kroxigors, Ogres, and other nasty units.  If Kroxigors aren't fighting a unit of knights, charging into a flank, or hacking apart a steamtank, they are being wasted.  All I can think about the deployment of the Swarms, was that he was reacting to Jesse's deployment.  Didn't Jesse have three units of cavalary?  I find that is another thing with dealing with Lizardmen, usually they can handle two units of cavalry, it is that third one that gives them trouble.  

I'm in the middle of another huge tactica on defeating the Lizardmen.  So far I'm upto 12 pages, and I haven't even got to the tactics portion at all.  The problem I'm going to run into is that these tacticas start running together a little.  I don't want to just repeat that swordsmen are the best Empire infantry and to take some knights and cannons :roll:

Offline Atchman

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2004, 11:44:58 AM »
A note about Jlutin's Battle Report.  It is an older report and yes we do know that Beastmen charging into the flank of a Griffon Standard would have lost big time-Herds do not take away ranks.  It was a mistake, in the heat of battle.

• Members
  • Servant of the Slann
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2004, 01:15:22 PM »
What he should have done was placed the Swarms and Kroxigors nearby. Standard practice is that swarms are used to tarpit the enemy unit, Kroxigors hit the flank.

He placed his Kroxies right in the centre of the army, with the Knights on both flanks - even reacting to deployment, there's no way he wouldn't have known where the Knights were going to be placed. I can't see any other explanation apart from gross stupidity.

Again Atch, that's your opinion, and Lord knows we've all heard it often enough.

I think there is an element of truth to it - certainly some armies do perform better against other armies. The Lizardmen for example can usually take the Vampire Counts especially to the cleaners. Saurus are absolute murder on skeletons, zombies etc regarding CR.

And yet, it seems obvious that the Lizardman player would lose in this instance. He never gave himself a chance with his army list and deployment (even taking into account the ability to customise), and played a very poor game. Even the "best" players can have a bad day.

"To beat the French."

Offline Atchman

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2004, 03:53:58 PM »
Again Atch, that's your opinion, and Lord knows we've all heard it often enough.
:lol:

I don't think I've ever beaten a Lizardman army but twice with my VC.  VC really don't have much of an answer to Saurus warriors, the rest of the stuff yes but Saurus warriors no.  In fact, one of my "friends" designed an anti-VC Lizardman army that killed me so completely, I didn't talk to him for a week. :oops:

Brad's Beastmen army always seems to handle my VC.  The only success I've had against LM with my VC army is when I take my Sylvanian Crossbowmen.

More Later.

Offline Atchman

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2004, 03:59:05 PM »
I can't see any other explanation apart from gross stupidity.

Remember, these folks were kind enough to let us use the Battle Report.  I would have included it whether the Empire won or lost.  That means they also read our forums, so be cool with the rhetoric.  Lord knows, I've made enough game losing deployment errors.

Offline IcedCrow

• Members
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2004, 09:14:27 PM »
A couple of notes...

First, for those that don't know me, I'm chris.  I'm the guy that coordinates the LWGA and I post a lot on portent.net and some on the wps boards.

On the battle vs jlutin, it was a fun game that occurred right after the release of the beastman book.  Yes the flank charge thing was an error.

Onto the crux of my post.  I would say that most of our players play the game simply for fun.  As was pointed out, most of us are not die hard WAAC attack players who strive to shove our list down someone's throat.  

The lizardmen player was a wild card entry.  He erased my army with the same list he used against Jesse.  (I played chaos khorne this year).  His salamander packs were ruthless, killing 10 furies, 5 knights, and a handful of chosen warriors.  He did quite well against a lot of opponents this year.  

Yeah his deployment was less then stellar, but calling it "moronic" and all is a little bit over the line.  

The army lists we construct are not meant to be jammed up someone's butt.  Yeah I realize I could have made a more powerful chaos list that had a shaggoth and all of the cheese items... Jesse could have taken the mandatory steam tank and dual units of inner circle knights, etc... but we don't usually play that way.

However, I have also watched Jesse take one of his lists, watch it get laughed at by some random WAAC player, and watch Jesse pound the living hell out of them, much to our amusement as the cheesed out WAAC player stands their drooling wondering how such a "crappy" army could have dusted him like that.  Not once but twice have I seen him do that to a power gamer at a tournament.

Also our lists are fixed 1900 point lists with 300 points extra.  We also play with *gasp* scenarios.  So if you take your traditional jam cram tournament list you will do great in a pitched battle, but then have fun when you have to play a scenario.  We have to keep all of that in mind when we make our army lists and submit them for posting on the website.

Sure if those lists would have been present at a super waac GT they would probably get spanked.  I mean, it would probably appall some players that an empire army had neither a single war machine or a steam tank.  But then again we play for fun, and we like more "realistic" armies, instead of the mandatory cookie cutter tournament crap armies that have become quite boring to play against.

Honestly, go to your next big tournament and take a not of the army lists.  While they are going to have some minor differences, the majority will all have the same boring elements in them (read... the really hard stuff, all the time)

We break out the cheese graters every once in a while as well, but for the most part we also strive for a good army composition that is fun for the opponent to play against as well as for a good sportsmanship score.  Bringing a super hard min/maxed list will probably not garner you those things, but if you win I guess to most people that's what it is all about.

In short, I post battle reports to show off our collections, players, and our games.  We have fun.  I don't post them so that our players can be attacked for their "moronic" choices.  We are aware that our army composition would sicken most hardened tournament veterans.  We are also aware most of us probably won't ever win a GT and are quite content with knowing we will never be the lord of the universe.

Enjoy reading how other players play the game and see some choices most of you probably would never take in a tournament enviornment.  But please keep the nasty comments to yourself, lest someday you make a mistake and someone slams you for it.  

And if anyone is around the Louisville area and wants to have a game we are more than happy to accomodate!  

Thanks!
~chris
For battle reports, visit www.lwga.org

Offline Tanker

• Members
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2004, 10:00:59 PM »
Great battle rep, only thing I noticed was that the Empire player forgot that his GS were stubborn and rolled their leadership at 6 on the turn they lost combat to the Saurus who attacked him in the flank.

I noticed because that is exactly something that I would do and have done. It could have cost him some points, if they'd fled and been run down....Army BSB and General, plus the unit standard, plus I believe recapturing a lost lizzie standard.

I can't comment on the lizzie deployment as I haven't ever played against them and don't know their list. All in all it certainly seems like both players had a good time.
"The early bird may get the worm, but it is the second mouse that gets the cheese." - unknown

Offline Atchman

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2004, 12:48:01 AM »
Thank you "IcedCrow" for the additional comments.  Though I only know you online, I find you to be as fair and impartial as they come.  I'm really thankful that you posted on our forum, perhaps it will increase the notoriety of this venue.  

For those that don't follow Portent forums, Iced is a big advocate of a "comp" system and has in fact written one of his own.  I think that is why most of you find that the army lists on their battle reports are a little mild.

Offline queek

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2004, 01:47:18 AM »
*waves to IcedCrow*

your bat-reps on WPS are always worth reading.  (I'd rather be turned over to Goblin inquisitors than read Portent, but that's a different matter.)

Offline cwalker

• Members
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2004, 03:09:18 AM »
Excellent report.

How do you guys judge Painting? :D

Just kidding..

Anytime you can shoot up Saurus on their way into combat they are going to be in big trouble.

I really liked the way the Empire player used his army.  No war machines?  It would have been interesting to see what would have happened if the Lizardman player had showed up with a Stegadon.

Maybe he knew that the player did not own one.

Anyway - it was a good read.

Chris
Kill, Kill!!

• Members
  • Servant of the Slann
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2004, 09:20:16 AM »
Ok, sorry if I came across a bit harsh. I had been reading what the guys on the Lizardmen forum had to say about the report - and if you think I'm being harsh, you obviously haven't read what they said about it. 8)

I'm not suggesting he should have taken the rock-hard cheesy army, for I myself am not a tournament player either. But at the same time, when I'm playing against my friends in the garage over cigarettes and beer, I don't go around shooting myself in the foot regarding my tactics and deployment, simply because the game isn't that serious.

For example, I don't let 180 valuable points of Jungle Swarms tarpit an enemy unit of knights without hitting it the flank, and I certainly don't let the enemy player kill off my swarms with scarcely any loss to himself.
I don't take a unit of less than 13 skinks, knowing they'll be hideously vulnerable to challenges. (15, 12, 11 - makes no sense)
I don't waste Kroxigors trying to charge T3 no armour save archers.
I don't rely on 5 salamanders to clean the field for me.
I don't charge my Jaguar Saurus at a ranked up unit, knowing they've got a +5 to CR to begin with.

I understand you're playing for fun, and not just for wins, but c'mon. Even if you're playing for fun, these are elementary errors. If these guys were new, it's perfectly understandable, but since you insisted on putting forward their record in the final, expect a bit of flak when one of them plays like a newb.

By all means play for fun. But also play to win. Like it or not, winning does form a part of what this game is about, and from the report, it looks as though the Lizardman player forgot all about it.

"To beat the French."

Offline Kaz

• Members
« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2004, 10:11:21 AM »
Hmm, atch, I think it has something to do with the style of the lizards if they are easy or hard to kill.

I play a magic heavy slann army, with few saurus and mostly skinks and other support units. And it's generally designed to take out opposing wizards, warmachines and light support unit, while slowing dowm the big things. When that is done (usually at the end of turn four all warmachines, almost all wizards, and all "light" units is gone) I surround the big things and finishes them off.

That style is very hard for empire to handle, especially with my relatively high amount of skinks. While VC which you say is a very difficult army to use against lizards is a downright nightmare for me, as the loss of just a single of my combat units to fear to lose me the battle. But I can see the point about certain lizard styles being easy for empire.

Ahh, the joys of the lizards, where you can design a wide array of good armies :)

On to the battle rapport, well, it's not that I have anything against nice "fun to play against armies", I even sometimes field them. This is just not a very good version of it...

Actually karl, I disagree with the notion of having at least 13 skinks, better keep the buggers cheap, and if I have 3x13 skinks, I would prefer to have 4x10 to get a higher degree of flexibility
It is better to be silent and have people think you're stupid, than to open your mouth and prove them right.

Offline Atchman

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2004, 09:09:00 PM »
I warned you guys about being nice to the nice folks that let us use their battle report.  Take you comments over to the LM forum where they belong.  I edited out the link, because there was nothing constructive there.  No accolades at all for the Empire guy that actually won the game, just criticism of the Lizardman guy.  

• Members
  • Servant of the Slann
« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2004, 12:50:24 AM »
Use a battle report with two good players, as opposed to just one and maybe you won't have cause for complaint.

I can understand wanting to glorify the empire site, but what's the point in chucking up a battle report that shows a good player beating up on a lousy player?

I always enjoy your reports Atch - they are well-written, and more importantly, they are hard-fought games between two evenly matched players.

This one was neither.

"To beat the French."

Offline Atchman

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2004, 03:00:50 AM »
This was one of my old, old Battle Reports from the Annual Days. I thought you might enjoy it. :D  :D It was never posted on the site, because it was "pre-site".  

Lizardmen versus Empire Battle Report (June 26, 2003)
(2100 pts per side)

This was a test battle for an army I am taking to a RT tournament on Saturday.  It is based around the city of Altdorf and uses multiple heroes riding monster mounts from the Emperor’s Menagerie.

Lizardmen Army: (At least I think this is it)

Saurus Hero, on Cold One, with Sword of the Hornet, Bitametl armor, and Amulet of Itzl

Level 2 Skink Shaman with 2 dispel scrolls

Skink Hero

Units:
3 units of Saurus, one with Spears

1 unit of 7 Saurus on Cold Ones, led by General

A unit of Chameleon Skinks

2 units of regular skinks with short bow

1 unit of skinks with Javelins

3 swarm bases

Empire Army (The Menagerie Army)

Elector Count, Griffon, Lance, Shield, Full Plate, and 4+ ward save

Battle Captain, Pegasus, Lance, Shield, Full Plate

Battle Captain, Pegasus, Lance, Shield, Full Plate

Level 1 magic user with 2 dispel magic scrolls

Core:
8 Inner Circle Knights FC

8 Knights FC

10 Handgunners, Marksmen, Repeater Handgun

10 archers
5 Huntsmen

Special:
2 Great Cannons
1 Units of Pistoliers, Champion with Repeater pistola

Rare:
5 DOW Lt Cavalry

Turn 1:
Lizardmen go first move forward,

Magic:
Thunderbolt at IC Knights, brings out dispel magic scroll

Shooting:  
Chameleon Skinks kill one archer
Salamander spits at Handgunner unit and misses

Melee:
None

Empire Turn 1:
Move:  
Archers and Huntsmen hold to shoot at Chameleon Skinks
Knights both move forward, DOW Cavalry move forward behind the Knights
Pistoliers move out to the flank to slow down the swarms
Flyers all relocate together in the middle of the line.

Magic:  Why bother?

Shooting:
Both Cannons misfire and cannot shoot for two turns!
Archers and Handgunners kill 6 Chameleon skinks they pass panic test
HG#1 kills 1 Saurus from spear unit
HG#2 1 wound on one swarm
GH#3 kills one skink

Melee:
None

Lizardmen Turn #2
Move:  
All units move forward again, no charges yet

Magic:  fails to cast Thunderbolt
Shooting:
Skinks kill 3 archers, they pass panic test
Salamander misses again

Melee:
None

Empire Turn #3
Move:
Knights Charge Spear Saurus unit
IC Knights charge skink unit in front of Saurus unit
All three heroes charge the Cold One knights and the Saurus General
Pistoliers move and block the swarms from attacking

No Magic

Shooting:
Misc Shooting kills 3 Saurus from the unengaged unit

Melee:
Saurus hero lashes out with his sword wounding the Griffon once
EC and both Heroes and mounts, kill 6 Cold One Saurus Riders, unit routs, is ran down along of course with the Saurus General by one of the Pegasus riders.  
EC holds ground.  
Skink unit nearby routs, as does the rear guard skink unit
Knights impact the Saurus spear unit, they putz out and only kill 3, with their ranks, etc, and the melee is a tie.  
Knights kill all skinks and overrun into the other Saurus unit

Lizardmen Turn#4
Move:
Swarms charge Pistoliers, which stand and shoot and kill one base!
All units that routed fail to rally and run further away

Magic:  failed to cast

Shooting:
Salamander misses again; all other archery units are routed

Melee:
Saurus spear unit wins melee, but Knights just pass break test with a 5, no Knights killed, and I cannot remember if any Saurus killed
IC knights, break the Saurus unit, killing 4 of them, but fail to catch them (they rolled a 12)
Swarms miss or fail to wound, the Pistolier flurry kills another base and leaves the other one minus one wound
(Not much left except the unit in melee now)

Empire Turn #4
Move:  
Both Pegasus riders run down fleeing unit, Griffon charges the spear Saurus unit in the flank.

Magic: None

Shooting:  
Salamander is killed by cannon fire, nothing else can shoot

Melee:
The Griffon rider is the difference, killing 5 Saurus on the flank charge, the Knights feel inspired and kill one as well.  The unit breaks and is ran down and destroyed

Lizardmen player concedes with almost nothing left except a swarm and some fleeing Skinks.  

Empire Player:

Only going to get one side of the story, but my 3-hero combination, broke the back of the Lizard army.  My shooting did nothing except kill some skinks.  He deployed well and protected his flanks and rear with skink screens and swarms.  This game I just decided to deploy an Empire army that can punch straight up the middle and defeat the enemy in combat.  Two units of Knights and the heroes are very near overpowering.  

What could he have done differently?  Screen his units with a line of Saurus warriors.  The skinks just are bowled over too easily.  He needed one less unit of skinks and another salamander

What could I have done better?  I forgot to move the DOW Light Cavalry around to the flank of the spear Saurus unit; it could have been a lot worse if they had charged.  I am also thinking of deploying my cavalry 6 wide, the extra swings are much better than the extra rank.  

Notes: Both cavalry units had magic standards; one was the Steel Standard, and the other the war banner.  

It is very funny to look back on it and realize how poor the unit selection was on both sides.  Of course it was a long time ago relative to this forum.

Offline IcedCrow

• Members
« Reply #20 on: May 21, 2004, 03:27:39 AM »

I always enjoy your reports Atch - they are well-written, and more importantly, they are hard-fought games between two evenly matched players.

This one was neither.

Which parts were poorly written?  For my own benefit I'd like to know.  Please post examples that I might correct them.

Offline cwalker

• Members
« Reply #21 on: May 21, 2004, 04:32:46 AM »

This one was neither.

Just to clarify, I think he was saying that the battle was neither hard-fought or evenly matched.

I don't think the writer was trying to downplay the narration.

My fav battle report of LWGA is the one with HEs vs Chaos Khorne.  The FLASH stuff on that was amazing!

Chris
www.iwfb.org
Kill, Kill!!

• Members
  • Servant of the Slann
« Reply #22 on: May 21, 2004, 05:47:33 AM »
Thanks Cwalker, I should have seen that my comment could be taken the wrong way. :oops:

The report was great, it's the battle I'm complaining about. :)

"To beat the French."

Offline Biz

• Members
« Reply #23 on: May 21, 2004, 09:18:48 AM »
Ditto that Flash report is wicked.

Offline IcedCrow

• Members
« Reply #24 on: May 21, 2004, 12:56:58 PM »
Thanks

The flash report is indeed great.  It should become the standard way of doing a battle report.

The only downside to a flash report is that it takes so damn long to do!  That one took me all weekend to put up.  (or maybe it was because I got my butt kicked and was still smarting from defeat)

I'll be trying to do more flash reports in the future if I can get the time to do so.