home

Author Topic: Tom "Terrific" Seaver has passed away ...  (Read 96 times)

Offline GamesPoet

• Global Moderator
  • Autumn has arrived! : )
Tom "Terrific" Seaver has passed away ...
« on: September 03, 2020, 05:26:53 AM »
Mets pitcher, and likely the greatest player the franchise has known, passed away this past Monday due to complications of dementia, and covid 19.

Seaver had 311 wins over his career, with a 2.86 ERA, 3640 strikeouts, 61 shut outs, 1 no hitter, is the only pitcher to have ever struck out 10 consecutive batters in a row, and holds the record for most consecutive 200 strike out seasons at 9.  His career shutouts are second behind only Warren Span (63) in what is called the live ball era.  When he retired, he and Walter Johnson were the only pitchers to have done so with over 3K strikeouts, over 300 wins, and under a 3.0 ER.  He had a 20 year career, and while with the Mets, won National League Rookie of the Year, and 3 Cy Young Awards.

A giant of the game, and a gentleman in life.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2020, 05:36:47 AM by GamesPoet »
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"No them, only us."  U2

Online S.O.F

Re: Tom "Terrific" Seaver has passed away ...
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2020, 10:24:17 AM »
A Mets relayed topic not started by me, my word.

Anyway yeah this news sucked though sadly Seaver had not been doing particularly well for a while. Dementia began to set in a few years ago and it was bad enough last year he could not take part in the 50th anniversary of the Miracle Mets.
Soldier of Fortune
Crazy DOW player
Rabid Mets Fan

Offline GamesPoet

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2020, 11:58:10 AM »
I am a Mets fan.  And yes, I heard at some point further back, believe when he retired from public life, that dementia had begun.  Anyone with such it is disappointing to see such happen, and this one always seemed to be a good guy too.

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"No them, only us."  U2

Online S.O.F

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2020, 12:42:17 PM »
I still from time to time interject a Seaver comment when watching a Mets game from the days he used to the color commentary for  the PIX11 broadcasts. Also I always wanted to track down a bottle of wine from his Vineyard in California.
Soldier of Fortune
Crazy DOW player
Rabid Mets Fan

Offline GamesPoet

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2020, 01:05:10 PM »
That would be cool to have a bottle from his vineyard, and drink a toast in his honor. :::cheers:::

"No them, only us."  U2