home

Author Topic: Other Manufacturers  (Read 675956 times)

Offline Mathi Alfblut

• Members
  • intres cum fixura sine misericordia
Re: Other Manufacturers
« Reply #625 on: June 03, 2011, 11:04:31 AM »
What Uryen said.  :icon_biggrin:

My reason for writing that post was not necessarily to object to you, GP, but more to explain why it is not nonsense either way. In the 16th century and earlier, it was the norm that you tried your best to show of on your arms on the battlefield. Those cannons fits the mold perfectly. My next 30-years war inspired army (probably with some Perry war of the Roses in it to represent say Bretonnian mercs (Gasp!) will contain plain cannons of the type that was standard in the much more large scale and industrialized wars of the 17th century, when also the old status and rights of the once free landsknechts soldiers were replaced by the larger proletarianized and often poorer soldiers of mass armies of the 30-years war and onward.

It was really a huge change there, not so much in how the battles were fought or on strategy or weapons, but in the scale of war. That in the end affected the attention to details on embellishment. But it did not dissappear, as the standards and the dresses of the wealthy commanders shows.
Oh, and remember GW made it personal, not you!

Offline Midaski

• Sunny Sussex, England
  • Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #626 on: June 03, 2011, 02:56:15 PM »
I like the look of these:

These great Warlord models are tooled up for the fray wih all manner of helmets, quality armour and of course the trademark sword and buckler. Two of the men are packing a pistol too, one with it on his belt and the other having a seperate arm, there being 3 differing bodies in total and a repeat body and loose arm to give the pistol option.

Each pack comes with 8 random metal swordsmen. You can grab some for your force by clicking here.

£12.00 for 8

Quote from: Gneisenau
Metal to Finecast - It is mostly a swap of medium. 

You mean they will be using Ouija boards instead of Tarot cards for their business plans from now on?

Offline Mathi Alfblut

• Members
« Reply #627 on: June 03, 2011, 05:51:17 PM »
Oho! Targetiers!

I join in on the praise.

Offline Uryens de Crux

• Members
« Reply #628 on: June 03, 2011, 06:13:59 PM »
Damn you Warlord, damn you to hell.
We go to gain a little patch of ground that hath in it no profit but the name.
The Free Company of Solland

The Barony of Wusterburg

Offline Timbor

• Members
« Reply #629 on: June 03, 2011, 09:37:19 PM »
Of course they release these after their free shipping offer ends...

I could also get them from Maelstrom though, unless WG pulls a GW  :engel:
If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason. - J.H.

Paint Log: link  Blog: My Life in Millimetres

Offline Mathi Alfblut

• Members
« Reply #630 on: June 04, 2011, 04:00:42 PM »
I´ll just wait an one of the netstores packing Warlords stuff in Sweden will get them. Sweet, sweet! This means I would be able to make an entire Empire army out of 30-years war model, including swordsmen detachments. And by adding some Perry War of the Roses I get a bunch of bretonnians mercenaries, pissed of at living and serving their stuck up lords!

Offline Mathi Alfblut

• Members
« Reply #631 on: June 06, 2011, 06:31:56 PM »
Ouch... I did it. I just could not restrain myself further.
I bought them Perry WoTR fellas.
http://www.gamemaniacs.se/products/products_show_image.asp?imageName=PMP%20WR01.jpg%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20&productName=Perry+Bros+WAR+OF+THE+ROSES+Infantry+28mm+Hard+Plastic+Box+Set

Shame they only had one box in, but I hope they get another one in later so I can bump the billmen up to horde strength. Or I will have to find some other minis around I can squeeze in the back.

I also ordered these fellas to complement my 17th century pike unit:
http://kulturkommissariatet.se/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=124_1483&products_id=11944

It should bring them up to 36. And with the musketeers from the two boxes of Coventanters I bought earlier for a low price I can now make two detachments of muskets and one independent musket regiment.

I also had to buy this crazy lass just to get a close look at what Ratnik are capable of:
http://kulturkommissariatet.se/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=124_1572&products_id=15775

I think she will form the start of a very mixed unit of Free company, probably representing the remants of a village or citys population.

Basically, this will be the start for my new Empire army. Yes, I will make them look historically sweet but still aim to make an Empire army that looks a bit different but will be Empire still.

It will most likely be a Nordland or Middenland army. A large block of pike (yeah, I know, spears in reality but pikes looks cooler) with shoote in support, that are forming a start in what Theoderic Gausser terms Nordlands New Model army. However, support comes from bretonnian mercenaries, dissaffected low nobles and runaway peasants who have formed their own mercenary company and now fight for the Empire. What a perfect excuse to mix sweet minis from different historical periods!  :::cheers:::

Online GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #632 on: June 06, 2011, 07:28:18 PM »
Ugh!  There are those Perry's again!  Stop it!  I'm not going to be able to resist, and I already bought some. :icon_lol:
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline Mathi Alfblut

• Members
« Reply #633 on: June 07, 2011, 04:49:37 PM »
"Join the power of the dark side...." :ph34r:

I will most likely get a second box when they get one in stock. I cannot wait until I get home in a week and see if it has arrived. Man, I am really getting into the period now, with me working here at Glimmingehus. I gotta finds a good bretonnian sounding name for the regiment that also say "Sod off!" towards the pompous bret king and his lords. To the annoyance of those oversensitive bret players one had to deal with back in Animosity 5. Besides the one who was on our team, who had a beautiful idea of the bretonnians as not being all paragons of virtues and whatnot.

Offline cjp

• Members
« Reply #634 on: June 16, 2011, 03:58:27 PM »
More swiss from artizan, yay!

Online GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #635 on: June 16, 2011, 07:25:27 PM »
Those look good.  Is this in addition to what they've already produced?

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

Offline TheElectorCount43

• Members
« Reply #636 on: June 17, 2011, 06:11:12 PM »
Somewhere on the Internet (probably the dogs of war website) is a list of all the alternative miniatures suppliers that could be used as pikemen in an empire army.

Offline Midaski

• Sunny Sussex, England
  • Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #637 on: June 17, 2011, 07:36:27 PM »
I like the look of these.

Bit 'early' for WHFB, but who cares .................   :engel:

I like the idea of the kontos wielded two-handed ...... and imagine the rider polevaulting off his horse occasionally  :closed-eyes:

You mean they will be using Ouija boards instead of Tarot cards for their business plans from now on?

Offline Timbor

• Members
« Reply #638 on: June 17, 2011, 11:15:22 PM »
Could make for some nice ungol or kislev heavy cavalry.  I have a unit of 10 GB russian cavalry that I am just in the process of finishing.

These guys look nicer though - any ideas on whether they are metal or plastic?
If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason. - J.H.

Paint Log: link  Blog: My Life in Millimetres

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #639 on: June 18, 2011, 09:10:14 AM »
Could make for some nice ungol or kislev heavy cavalry.

No way!

Wrong by 1000 years!
Hey, I could still beat up a woman!
If I wanted to.

Offline Commander Bernhardt

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
  • Geweldig!
« Reply #640 on: June 18, 2011, 09:30:51 AM »
but how will these compare to GW? I've seen some warlords metal mini's and decided that they were way tho small for use next to gw. How about their plastics?
President Merkin Muffley: Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room.

Offline Midaski

• Sunny Sussex, England
  • Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #641 on: June 18, 2011, 11:04:41 AM »

No way!

Wrong by 1000 years!

Is that historical nerdism .................  :engel:

Who cares  -  this is Fantasy - they could have been living in shangri-la all this time, or released from a magic spell.   :closed-eyes:

WG stuff does tend to be more 25mm, and their 'ancients' horses tend to be more like ponies compared to GW horses.

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #642 on: June 18, 2011, 11:09:11 AM »
I mean that they look nothing like Polish winged hussars or Cossacks, and so have no business being in a Kislev army.
Hey, I could still beat up a woman!
If I wanted to.

Offline Uryens de Crux

• Members
« Reply #643 on: June 18, 2011, 03:33:40 PM »
They will look small next to GW cavalry, but then again GW cavalry all run around on elephant sized horses.
We go to gain a little patch of ground that hath in it no profit but the name.
The Free Company of Solland

The Barony of Wusterburg

Offline Mathi Alfblut

• Members
« Reply #644 on: June 18, 2011, 06:34:45 PM »
If your army is made up of at least no GW sized cavalry, there will be no problem. And they look sweeet.... Damn... They look very sweet. I want.

Offline patsy02

• Members
  • Moderator in charge of Gender Equality (Honorary)
« Reply #645 on: June 18, 2011, 08:05:57 PM »

No way!

Wrong by 1000 years!
Who cares  -  this is Fantasy
:icon_mad:
I agree with the inhumane treatment of animals.

Offline Justnorth

• Members
« Reply #646 on: June 20, 2011, 05:54:54 AM »

+1

They would make a smart addition to a Kislev line up offering something between the outriders and the Heavy Gryphon Knights.
Good find Midaski.
GW can pucker their skanky lips and suck my arse.

He's French. Since when do his plans have to be feasible?

Offline Midaski

• Sunny Sussex, England
  • Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #647 on: June 28, 2011, 12:06:59 PM »
Got some of these - arrived today.

They were in a separate thread on their own, but I felt they deserved a mention in this thread too.

They are the lightweight plastic resin material and are decent sharp sculpts.
Little bits of wafer like flash, and one of the overhead sword guys has a bent weapon, but I understand it straightens well if warmed up.

Size wise they are more a 25mm - they are skinnier than a Marauder Reiksgard and a few millimetres shorter though the built in base will raise them on a standard 20mm square base. Although they have a Reiksgard feel they are a better size match to the late 1980's 'fighters' and early bretonnian looking knights.

Still at $2 each they are a bargain.

Online GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #648 on: June 28, 2011, 12:51:37 PM »
Those look very good. :icon_cool:

Offline MrDWhitey

• Members
« Reply #649 on: June 28, 2011, 12:55:35 PM »
Those look very good. :icon_cool:

They do! I mostly love the fact they're not metal!
I thought he should act responsibly and just kill himself.