home

Author Topic: Other Manufacturers  (Read 668485 times)

Offline Uryens de Crux

• Members
Re: Other Manufacturers
« Reply #525 on: April 15, 2011, 07:29:26 AM »
I have a few of the AoW dwarves and they are superb sculpts, and a joy to paint.

We go to gain a little patch of ground that hath in it no profit but the name.
The Free Company of Solland

The Barony of Wusterburg

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #526 on: April 15, 2011, 12:54:05 PM »
I probably need to be more open minded and look around their site, not just basing my first view of their berserker dwarfs as my overall view.
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline Uryens de Crux

• Members
« Reply #527 on: April 15, 2011, 01:21:05 PM »
I also have their vampire woman figure and that's excellent too, I will be getting the warrior priest as well.

The Barony of Wusterburg

Offline Timbor

• Members
« Reply #528 on: April 15, 2011, 05:24:03 PM »
The AoW orcs range is pretty darn awesome IMO.  I have the savage orc and the goblin, but have not yet painted them up.
If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason. - J.H.

Paint Log: link  Blog: My Life in Millimetres

Offline Silver Wolf

• Members
  • I see lead people.
« Reply #529 on: April 15, 2011, 06:48:18 PM »
Are there any cheap replacements for the greatsword box?
« Last Edit: April 15, 2011, 06:58:41 PM by Silver Wolf »
"Watch the skies, traveler."
Check out my wargaming blog - The Forge of War

Offline DariusZero

• Members
  • I'm a non native speaker from Mars and I bite.
« Reply #530 on: April 15, 2011, 07:17:53 PM »
Gamezone, the only one really :wink:
One of the big wigs... once told them "If a household doesn't have an income of $70,000, we don't consider them a GW target customer."
MyEmpireBlog: http://warhammer-empire.com/theforum/index.php?topic=33477.0

Offline FR1DAY

• Members
« Reply #531 on: April 15, 2011, 08:53:28 PM »
Artizan do some as well
There are 40 different shades of black, so many fortresses and ways to attack.

So why you complaining!

Offline Timbor

• Members
« Reply #532 on: April 15, 2011, 10:41:39 PM »
The Artizan ones are very nice.  If cheap is the first priority, I suggest the old glory ones:

http://www.oldgloryminiatures.com/proddetail.asp?prod=PIL-04

023 has some painted examples up here somewhere...
If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason. - J.H.

Paint Log: link  Blog: My Life in Millimetres

Offline DariusZero

• Members
  • I'm a non native speaker from Mars and I bite.
« Reply #533 on: April 16, 2011, 05:50:11 AM »
The Artizan ones are very nice.  If cheap is the first priority, I suggest the old glory ones:

http://www.oldgloryminiatures.com/proddetail.asp?prod=PIL-04

023 has some painted examples up here somewhere...

"25mm scale - 30 Figures - 4 Sword Poses with Head Variants"

...aren't they too small?
One of the big wigs... once told them "If a household doesn't have an income of $70,000, we don't consider them a GW target customer."
MyEmpireBlog: http://warhammer-empire.com/theforum/index.php?topic=33477.0

Offline Uryens de Crux

• Members
« Reply #534 on: April 16, 2011, 08:21:24 AM »
No, I have some of their pikes, they are the same size as the GW stuff, again 023 has comparison pics

The Barony of Wusterburg

Offline Silver Wolf

• Members
  • I see lead people.
« Reply #535 on: April 16, 2011, 05:32:19 PM »
Old Glory seems to be exactly what I'm looking for ... But I couldn't find any comparison pictures which include greatswords...
And there's another problem... They're not shipping to Croatia.

Thanks anyway guys !  :icon_smile:
"Watch the skies, traveler."
Check out my wargaming blog - The Forge of War

Offline FR1DAY

• Members
« Reply #536 on: April 17, 2011, 08:21:08 PM »
Perry are doing mounted men at arms in plastic, sweet!

http://theminiaturespage.com/news/622364/

boxes of 12, no release date though
There are 40 different shades of black, so many fortresses and ways to attack.

So why you complaining!

Offline Blue in vt

• Members
« Reply #537 on: April 17, 2011, 08:50:42 PM »
 :::cheers::: Perry's for the WIN!!!

those look great.

Blue
My Painting and Collecting Blog: http://bluesmarauders.blogspot.com/

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #538 on: April 17, 2011, 09:17:40 PM »
Wow.  Perry is moving full speed ahead with there 28mm plastics.  Very exciting. :icon_biggrin:

They are even doing Austrian, Russian, and Prussian infantry! Cacoo! :::cheers:::

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

Offline Fandir Nightshade

• Members
« Reply #539 on: April 18, 2011, 07:19:52 AM »
We no longer need new Knights it seems....awesome and also nice kits for light cavalry.

Offline Midaski

• Sunny Sussex, England
  • Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #540 on: April 18, 2011, 11:33:23 AM »
I thought I had a decent look at the Perry stand at Salute, but I only saw the Plastic Napoleonic PrussianInfantry 1813-15 they have been promoting on their website.
However Donnachaidh emailed this morning asking about them too - so maybe I missed the greens.

Based on the timescales for the two previous plastic sets, I guess it will be towards September / October though.

I did buy some of the metal armoured infantry with the halberds though .......... along with a lot of other stuff ......... far too much other stuff .........  :engel:

Quote from: Gneisenau
Metal to Finecast - It is mostly a swap of medium. 

You mean they will be using Ouija boards instead of Tarot cards for their business plans from now on?

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #541 on: April 18, 2011, 11:39:23 AM »
Midaski ... did you ever provide pictures or an update form Salute around here?

Offline Midaski

• Sunny Sussex, England
  • Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #542 on: April 18, 2011, 01:35:38 PM »
Midaski ... did you ever provide pictures or an update form Salute around here?

No    :engel:

I forgot the camera ........... well I didn't really think about it to be honest. I get the shakes quite a lot, and need a tripod to take pics.

I went with specific targets in mind, that were all old news really.

I had pre-ordered the new rules - Clash of Empires and Hail Caesar which were both released on the day, but have been discussed in the Hail Caesar thread.

Mini -wise it was Perry WotR, some WF Persians and Amazons, Artizan Arthurians, some Crusader ancient Spanish, some bargain Foundry late Romans, the Conquest games metal Norman command and Monks & Nuns sets plus some spare horse sprues, and various odd bits and bobs.

I tried to get to meet jimbibbly but he was besieged all day  :icon_lol:, but his scenery is even better close up.

I waved at Donnachaidh in the queue .........

I did meet up with JustNorth and exchanged banter and barbs. 

Oh and found 2 boxes of Ed.6 Soldiers of the Empire still 'MINT' in the cellophane ........................

.......... and I won't tell you what I paid as you will cry ............

« Last Edit: April 18, 2011, 01:37:57 PM by Midaski »

You mean they will be using Ouija boards instead of Tarot cards for their business plans from now on?

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #543 on: April 18, 2011, 02:31:56 PM »
 :icon_lol: Looks like me asking over on the miniholic thread might have been better. :icon_wink:

Maybe I'll copy and paste over there, instead of carrying on the conversation I started here. :engel:

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #544 on: April 18, 2011, 03:26:41 PM »
But seriously ...

1.  How were the WF Persians?  I got a small sprue of a couple infantry when I ordered from one of their sales, back before the big breakdown over there.  They looked appealing, and although I'm debating whether or not I want to order after all the hub bub because I'm not thrilled with how things happened and wondering if WF under current ownership will do something of a quality follow up to their infantry, and wondering how the over all box of Persians came out.

2.  I really like the attacking poses of the Artizan Arthurians.

3.  The crusader ancient Spanish are interesting, but they seem to lack a bit of dynamicness some how.  Think I saw some at Historicon last year, and maybe I'll have a look again this year, but the pictures on their website just don't do it for me.  Also, they make a difference between light and heavy cav by putting small plates of armor on the heavy's chest and that seems to be it, and I'm wondering if this is really how it was with those?  However, I like their newer El Cid series!  Those look really good.

4.  Regarding Conquest Games ... do they only have the norman knights on horseback (and the nuns & monks)?  Maybe I'm missing something on their website.  The knight sprue pictures seem to look good though, and I like the variant heads, but it seems they could have fit a few more on the sprue, too.

Offline Midaski

• Sunny Sussex, England
  • Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #545 on: April 18, 2011, 06:02:58 PM »
1. I have had a cursory look - they ended up on a different multi sprue set up to what was posted on the website, and I think linked earlier in this thread.
The small sprues thing is weird - several sprues for just a few weapons, and different sorts of shields. Some of the weapons appear in both the Infantry and Cavalry boxes.
I also got a box of the Amazons and again some of the same sprues are in there - the female limbs look very spindly.

They look ok, but I think it will need some experimenting when I get round to building them - which will not be happening until after the Eurobash.

2. I just like all Artizan stuff. The Arthuians have sort of crept up on me as I picked up some Black Tree at half price, and I have a lot of Saxons and Vikings, so I was looking at some combatative armies from Late / Romano British and early Dark Ages.

3. Again Northstar did a half price Crusader Spanish Army deal, and so I bought them  :engel: mainly because I had seen 'allied spanish units' in Fall of the West etc., and didn't really understand what some of the terms like Caetrati and Scutari meant ....... I have been educating myself a bit since. 

4. Conquest are new - I met Mike at the show, youngish guy who is doing it as a part time enthusiast - he has plans and ideas for more units, but it takes time and getting the capital for Renedra to make a sprue is not easy.

I think the way WF churned out units was the exception - if you look at Gripping Beast, they have done two, Vikings and Saxons, in over a year, and the Perrys probably manage only 2 or 3 a year, and indeed Warlord Games who are probably the most prolific UK outfit have been going a while now, and several of their supposedly 'different' box sets use the same base sprue.
Mantic may be a bit more regular, but I haven't been paying them much attention to be honest.

I think it is around £50,000 to develop a standard unit size sprue, which means if you are selling a box set at £15 - £20 each then you have to sell around 2500 to 3350 sets just to break even.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #546 on: April 18, 2011, 07:34:26 PM »
Regarding the Persians ... they don't currently have them up for sale on the WF website, and some how I didn't know they had done both infantry and cavalry.  Maybe I'll get lucky and find them being sold at a retailer or convention.

Regarding the Dark Ages period, is there a preferred rules set that you use?  I've got one called Pig Wars that I'm currently reading in time for a convention's large game event.

And guess I need to do some reading on the ancient and dark ages Spanish forces, too.

Yep, lots of places using Renedra, and my understanding is Defiance Games (the new company started by the original WF owners and founders) will also being using something different, and apparently based out of the U.S.A.  My understanding is its a cheaper process than Renedra.

Also, DG is apparently already on the move with multiple sprues being worked on again.  They seem to be doing a sci-fi set first, since the WF shock troops seemed so successful, before doing some more historicals.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2011, 09:05:44 PM by GamesPoet »

Offline Marek

• Members
  • Pig Tickler
« Reply #547 on: April 18, 2011, 07:38:01 PM »
Midaski,

Did you see any interesting scenery/suitably Empire-ish buildings at Salute?

Cheer up, could be worse.

Offline Midaski

• Sunny Sussex, England
  • Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #548 on: April 18, 2011, 08:11:04 PM »
Midaski,

Did you see any interesting scenery/suitably Empire-ish buildings at Salute?

I wasn't looking too hard to be honest.  I have a mental block with resin buildings as I think they are very pricey.
I also have a load of Hirst Arts moulds and have cast loads of,  :engel: well several,  bricks ready to build something with sometime ...........

The one stand I did look at was www.totalbattleminiatures.com - they had some 28mm dark age and black powder era bits.

The other person of course is jimbibbly one of our newer members on here - he mainly does Japanese buildings, but he had some of his other commission pieces on show, and they looked pretty sharp.

Offline Gneisenau

• Members
  • Alleged Ungulate
« Reply #549 on: April 18, 2011, 09:02:59 PM »
The one stand I did look at was www.totalbattleminiatures.com - they had some 28mm dark age and black powder era bits.

Those look nice, thanks for the link.

A bit pricey though. The work of a particular member here is not much more expensive, and seems to be much better.