home

Author Topic: Other Manufacturers  (Read 667815 times)

Offline Midaski

• Sunny Sussex, England
  • Administrator
  • Members
Re: Other Manufacturers
« Reply #800 on: November 10, 2011, 10:31:28 PM »
Have we already discussed these?

I saw the pic on Northstar and they are: 

New plastic Teutonic Knights coming to North Star soon from Fireforge Games.

http://www.fireforge-games.com/

http://www.fireforge-games.com/index.php?option=com_k2&view=item&id=96:teutonic-knights-sculpting&Itemid=477#itemCommentsAnchor

Quote from: Gneisenau
Metal to Finecast - It is mostly a swap of medium. 

You mean they will be using Ouija boards instead of Tarot cards for their business plans from now on?

Offline Timbor

• Members
« Reply #801 on: November 11, 2011, 12:55:50 AM »
We discussed them about a month or so ago, though they were still in sculpting at that time.  Does it say when they will be released?
If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason. - J.H.

Paint Log: link  Blog: My Life in Millimetres

Offline Von Kurst

• Members
« Reply #802 on: November 11, 2011, 03:38:27 AM »
Its nice to have the photos posted though.  The old link didn't work on my home computer.  Thanks.

“Why is the rum always gone?” -Captain Jack Sparrow
"It is, it is a glorious thing To be a Pirate King."
 -Gilbert, Sir W(illiam) S(chwenck)

Offline Uryens de Crux

• Members
« Reply #803 on: November 11, 2011, 08:38:27 AM »
They are looking very nice, super alternatives to rubbish empire knights
We go to gain a little patch of ground that hath in it no profit but the name.
The Free Company of Solland

The Barony of Wusterburg

Offline Justnorth

• Members
« Reply #804 on: November 11, 2011, 11:26:10 AM »
Interesting, two chaos knights and two bretonnian knights.
GW can pucker their skanky lips and suck my arse.

He's French. Since when do his plans have to be feasible?

Offline Wolfgang aus Wien

• Members
« Reply #805 on: November 11, 2011, 01:11:25 PM »
I've probably mentioned before that I like Black Tree Design as a GW substitute.
They don't offer a great deal of Renaissancy-looking 'Empire' people, but their Helsinians - and to some extent their Men of Averaign - do have some useable  models for Empire, not to mention the Ackland Accessory line for terrain/building pieces.
They have the same chunky, cartoonish look of Citadel models and the same 'heroic 28 mm' scale and rank up really well, especially with older Citadel models, whose look I happen to prefer over the newer, more Rackham-esque ones.
If I have a choice between $ 2.01 per plastic Bret Man-at-Arms or $ 1.78 per metal Man of Averaign, BTD wins.

Offline Shadowlord

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #806 on: November 11, 2011, 02:02:31 PM »
They are looking very nice, super alternatives to rubbish empire knights

Even better, they look like knights to be used in those medieval games you all cherish and love so much.
My hood is my castle...

Offline Uryens de Crux

• Members
« Reply #807 on: November 11, 2011, 02:19:55 PM »
Exactly. Like proper knights on horses that are a sensible size with armour they could actually carry  :dry:

The Barony of Wusterburg

Offline Blue in vt

• Members
« Reply #808 on: November 11, 2011, 04:04:59 PM »
 :::cheers:::

These look awesome...any idea of price?  I'm not seeing details in the links posted above.

Blue
My Painting and Collecting Blog: http://bluesmarauders.blogspot.com/

Offline Shadowlord

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #809 on: November 11, 2011, 04:16:03 PM »
Exactly. Like proper knights on horses that are a sensible size with armour they could actually carry  :dry:

Except this forum has not medieval after the last dot...
My hood is my castle...

Offline Uryens de Crux

• Members
« Reply #810 on: November 11, 2011, 05:14:09 PM »
So.

If in the fluff they said they were super magical über horses then you might have a point, they even say they aren't as good as French, sorry Bretonian horses and they only carry cloth barding :p

Also, the empire horses are rubbish and you know it :p

The Barony of Wusterburg

Offline Midaski

• Sunny Sussex, England
  • Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #811 on: November 11, 2011, 06:23:14 PM »
Except this forum has not medieval after the last dot...

You are quite right for a change  :engel: - after the last dot it has  "COM"

I've probably mentioned before that I like Black Tree Design as a GW substitute.

I have spent money with BTD - their delivery schedules are awful, but I do think they are good value, and I always buy as a Premium member when they are offering sales discounts.
I have some of their Helsinian pikemen that do look very Bretonnian - i picked them up as a spot buy somewhere without knowing at the time where they were from - I think Donnachaidh identified them.
Most of my purchases have been from the historical side, but I have bought a few fantasy Saracens this year.

You mean they will be using Ouija boards instead of Tarot cards for their business plans from now on?

Offline Shadowlord

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #812 on: November 11, 2011, 06:52:13 PM »
Also, the empire horses are rubbish and you know it :p

You are so caught up in your GW hate that you mistake old ugly models with realism.

No biggie, when the new horses arrive from GW, it will set your GW on track.

And you know it.
My hood is my castle...

Offline Justnorth

• Members
« Reply #813 on: November 12, 2011, 07:56:45 AM »
Most of my purchases have been from the historical side, but I have bought a few fantasy Saracens this year.

Were they Black tree fantasy saracens?

Offline Uryens de Crux

• Members
« Reply #814 on: November 12, 2011, 08:09:05 AM »

No biggie, when the new horses arrive from GW, it will set your GW on track.

And you know it.

But when, dammit, when? More likely to see chaos dwarves before Empire Knights!

The Barony of Wusterburg

Offline Justnorth

• Members
« Reply #815 on: November 12, 2011, 08:16:58 AM »
Had a poke around in the Black tree catalogue and found the Saracens, some interesting bits in there, would want it all but definitely there are some elements that are worthy of collecting.

• Members
« Reply #816 on: November 12, 2011, 01:29:44 PM »
Currently using BTD Halflings and a Dwarf as Free Company.
It's true that BTD and fast shipping sometimes aren't in the same sentence, if you're like most gamers/collectors, you're not likely to suffer from a lack of things to paint anyway......
Another good line are Mirliton/Grenadier Umani (Humans...), they're a hair skinnier than GW, but still fit in well, and have exactly the late medieval/early Renaissance look I'm after.
I've always liked Grenadier models and while ordering from Italy is kind of expensive, I can't help but indulge every now and again.
Imho, their Dwarves, Undead and Wood Elves are easily among the best ever made.

Offline Midaski

• Sunny Sussex, England
  • Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #817 on: November 12, 2011, 04:52:43 PM »
Were they Black tree fantasy saracens?

Yep - I have the makings of an Arabian Andalusian/Berbers/Moors army that I got mainly for WAB El Cid, but then I felt the need for a few elements to enable me to use it for Fantasy if I wanted so some Saracens with BIG wepaons for Greatswords/Halberdiers, and a few flying carpets ..........

Offline Justnorth

• Members
« Reply #818 on: November 14, 2011, 07:12:33 AM »
That is exactly the kind of Caliphate army that floats my Dhow as well.
Ancient Caliphate list meets 'Arabian nights'.

Offline Siberius

• Members
  • The Minotaur Cat
« Reply #819 on: November 17, 2011, 06:59:14 PM »
There's so many pages in here I can't look through the whole lot so I figured I'd just ask and hope someone has something in mind.

I want to build a spears regiment for my army, but I don't want them to look state-troopish. I want them to look like woodsmen. Reasonably wild woodsmen, though preferably clothed  :-P. I don't want them to look like they're of another time period or anything, but maybe something with celtic flavour or fairly generic woodsman feel will do. Ok, it's hard to explain but hopefully you have the gist.

Now the tough part. I'd prefer a plastic kit so they are cheap cheap cheap too! The more in there the merrier, but even if it's 20, that works cos you can double to 40 and be fine. Anywho, any ideas would be much appreciated. I'm not too worried about what weapons they have as I can always convert them to spears.
Quote from: PhillyT
Magic does not have nearly the same problems with power levels as magic. 

Offline Midaski

• Sunny Sussex, England
  • Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #820 on: November 17, 2011, 09:16:07 PM »
Given you are in the US, I would probably look at the Wargames Factory Saxons and Vikings - there are two sorts  - basically armoured and unarmoured.
The bodies sprues are actually the same whether you get Saxons or Vikings - you will notice the heads are on the weapons sprues.

The only reservation might be the 'spears' and the arm positions - some of the weapons are more like javelins, and the arms are in the throwing pose.
The good bit (?) is that they are open hands and you can stick the weapon of choice.
However there aren't enough spears possibly so maybe buy/use some of the steel spears a lot of companies sell.

Saxon Weapons Sprue

Viking Weapons Sprue

The main store page.
http://www.wargamesfactory.com/webstore/hammer-of-the-gods

The other options are Gripping Beast who also do Vikings and Saxons in plastics, but again the weapons mix will nee you to get extra spears - and then Perrys War of the Roses and Mercenaries sets but they tend to have a lot of bows, and halberds/polearms rather than spears.

« Last Edit: November 17, 2011, 09:30:25 PM by Midaski »

Offline Siberius

• Members
  • The Minotaur Cat
« Reply #821 on: November 18, 2011, 07:03:06 PM »
Midaski, I think you got it first time! I love these guys. And the price is hard to argue with. The spears shouldn't be a problem. I have some brass rod and have tried it before one time. If need be, I can make it work. Now that I see these guys, I'm tempted to get one box of unarmoured for my spears and maybe the huskarls to use as swordsmen (axemen)...

Those WSS horsemen look like they could be converted to pistoliers pretty easy too... I wonder...

Does the scale pretty much work out? I'm not super worried about a little difference, just maybe not LoTR different...
Quote from: PhillyT
Magic does not have nearly the same problems with power levels as magic. 

Offline Midaski

• Sunny Sussex, England
  • Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #822 on: November 19, 2011, 10:42:52 AM »

They're very close - maybe a touch skinnier.

The main difference will be weapon size if you don't use all the brass rod spears. GW swords/axes are heroic, whereas all the stuff I linked to have pretty accurately scaled weapons.

I made a few brass rod attempts, but now use it only for banners or jail cell bars  :icon_wink:   getting a set of 40/50 for £5.00 already tipped neatly is saving so much hassle in my opinion.

Offline Mathi Alfblut

• Members
  • intres cum fixura sine misericordia
« Reply #823 on: November 19, 2011, 12:44:36 PM »
The present Empire knights look just like late 15th/early 16th century knights/heavy cavalry in full plate armour, with a sprinkling of fantasy to them. They wear armour that could have been worn in an army of the period.

The knights in those pics looks ok, for bleeding 12/13th century knights and for bretonnian Knights of the Realm. They are not Empireish in ANY way!  :ph34r:
Oh, and remember GW made it personal, not you!

• Members
« Reply #824 on: November 19, 2011, 12:57:08 PM »
Late 15th/early 16th century not Renaissance enough for ya?
Puzzling.
Be that as it may, I like to view my Empire in a more late Medieval/early Renaissance light and have absolutely no problem with mixing in some more Middle Ages type troops.
Perfectly plausible that some of the more traditional (or more backwards) areas of such a large realm wouldn't always sport the latest attire currently en vogue in Altdorf.....
Heck, there are plenty of reports written by French soldiers on campaign in Russia and French as well as British soldiers on campaign in Spain that they felt transported back in time to the Middle Ages in those places.
This was during the Napoleonic wars........