home

Author Topic: Core Troop Suggestion  (Read 3814 times)

Offline darkman889

• Members
Core Troop Suggestion
« on: December 04, 2009, 07:01:15 AM »
This was in another thread but I it was deemed off topic so I'm putting it here.  GW already has a lot of this info taken care of with Mordheim; would it be so hard to implement?

What if we could upgrade a State Troop according to province?  Mordheim rules have different provinces with different abilities; Middenheim gets +1 str, Reikland gets +1 BS or +1 LD, Marienburg could get heavy armor, Averland gets +1 BS, Ostlanders become immune to fear (that would be too much though) etc etc.

I like this in that you could make the Empire just that much more versatile; point costs and stuff could be worked out to make it work.

Offline borgar

• Members
  • Make war not sense
Re: Core Troop Suggestion
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2009, 09:11:16 PM »
middenheim halberds with s5? :ph34r:
As for borgar - you sir are a genius.

Offline darkman889

• Members
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2009, 09:22:05 PM »
Why not?  Orcs are 5 pts basic with superior toughness; upgrade them to big 'uns for 4 pts and they get bonuses to WS and Str and have the rule that allows them to strike for +1 Str on the first round of combat, effectively being Str 5 first round.  For 3 pts you can upgrade Dwarf Warriors to 5 WS and 4 Str and immune to panic.  Why can't we do that with our guys??

Offline kk14

• Members
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2009, 09:12:30 AM »
It seems like that would overly complicate our already very diverse army. Furthermore, the army would be that much harder to balance.

On the other hand, the idea is very cool, and could be executed quite fluffily.
If you can't convince the voters to accept your view, and you take to the gun, you are by definition anti-American.

Veni, Vidi, domum meum redire volo.

Offline darkman889

• Members
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2009, 04:45:28 AM »
I'm a fan of complication, and in all honesty, our army isn't all that bad.  And it shouldn't be that hard; as I said before, the Dwarfs have the rules already in place for upgrades on their Core units. 

Offline Rodman49

• Members
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2009, 07:41:00 PM »
Yeah, but for Orcs and Dwarves its only one upgrade - to Big 'Uns or Longbeards.  It's not multiple exclusive upgrades.  I agree with KK.

Offline darkman889

• Members
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2009, 10:04:46 PM »
Oh well, I like it.  :)

Offline Freman Bloodglaive

• Members
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2010, 09:10:43 AM »
I want to submit my idea for 'Imperial Guard'.

They are magically enhanced super soldiers with the following profile.

M6 WS6 BS5 S5 T5 W3 I6 A3 Ld10

They wear armour powered by steam, electricity and magic that confers a 1+ armour save and 4+ ward save.

They are armed with swords that cut with a toothed chain blade powered by a small electrical takeoff from their armour. These add +1 strength in combat and are armour piercing. They count as magical for the purposes of wounding ethereal creatures.

They carry a ranged weapon that fires a compact version of the helstorm rocket a mere 0.75 inches in diameter. Because they fire multiple shots they have a combined damage effect of:
Range 36 inches, strength 5, armour piercing, small blast. They count as magical for the purposes of wounding ethereal creatures.

If the Imperial Guardsman stands still he may fire twice in the shooting phase.

Guardsmen are immune to psychology, and stubborn. They always count as being within 12 inches of a battle standard bearer for the purposes of re-rolls.

They are bought in units of 1 to 3 models as core choices and always skirmish. They cannot buy command models, but any model may accept a challenge.

I'm tentatively proposing 175 points a model as the standard point cost. That might be a little on the cheap side.

Their Lord choice is the Imperial Guard Commander.

His profile is

M6 WS9 BS6 S6 T6 W5 I9 A5 Ld10

And he is armed and equipped as his brother Guardsmen are. His cost would be about 350 points.
"Reason is a thing of God, inasmuch as there is nothing which God the Maker of all has not provided, disposed, ordained by reason - nothing which He has not willed should be handled and understood by reason" Quintus Tertullian