home

Author Topic: Warhammer Android App  (Read 6680 times)

Offline DekoPuma

• Members
Warhammer Android App
« on: February 22, 2010, 11:55:52 PM »
I recently purched the Motorola Droid phone, which runs on Google Android.  One of the nice things about Android is that you can make your own apps for it.
I just finished my first app, a little utility to help out with the end game of Warhammer Fantasy.  You enter in the point level of the game, the amount of points you won, and how much you lost.  It in turn displays the difference and whether ist's a minor victory, solid loss, etc.

Is there any interest in this sort of thing here?  I was thinking about publishing it to the Android Market (for free or donations probably) after I polish it a bit, and I was curious what kind of interest there might be. 

I also have ideas for a more advanced version for helping you calculate how many points you've won and such, but that's for another time once this is polished.

Offline Calvin

• The Old Ones
  • Members
Re: Warhammer Android App
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2010, 12:11:31 AM »
Sounds like a cool idea to me! Would it work on a HTC Dream running 1.6? I also have a Magic running 1.5 so if you would like me to test it on those devices you can send it to me.

Have you had a good time developing? What resources did you use to learn how? I've wanted for a while to give it a try but haven't had the time recently. I was going to go to one of those developer conferences but unfortunately I had a midterm the same day I couldn't miss.
Quote from: Rufas the Eccentric
Remember this every one, when in trouble just screem, CALVIN!
Quote from: Eight
I'd pay an extra 15 points or so to be able to take the engineer out back and shoot him.

Offline DekoPuma

• Members
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2010, 02:54:59 AM »
In theory, it ought to work on any android phone from 1.5 on up.  Once I polish it a bit more, I can let you take a look and see how it does on your phones.

Overall development has been pretty good.   I started with the basic Hello World tutorial on http://developer.android.com/index.html which did a decent job explaining how to set up Eclipse with the SDK.  I went through the Notepad exercise there as well, but it seemed less useful, not explaining as much as far as what is actually going on.  Another tutorial I looked at was http://whyandroid.com/android/227-tipster-building-a-tip-calculator-for-the-android-os.html which was pretty helpful.  I haven't done a whole lot of programming, so I can't say how this compares to other systems, but it seems pretty decent.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2010, 03:08:26 AM »
Calculator works ok. :icon_wink:
« Last Edit: February 23, 2010, 04:07:10 AM by GamesPoet »
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline DekoPuma

• Members
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2010, 03:16:26 AM »
Calculator works ok. :icon_wink

Yes, it does.  If you have the victory condition chart on page 103 of the BRB on hand or memorized, anyway.  ;)

Offline DekoPuma

• Members
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2010, 03:31:27 AM »
Figured I might post a screenshot of the current iteration.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2010, 04:09:55 AM »
Calculator works ok. :icon_wink:
Yes, it does.  If you have the victory condition chart on page 103 of the BRB on hand or memorized, anyway.  ;)
Yep, its in the rule book. :icon_wink:

I suppose I'd be in trouble if I forgot mine.

Oh well, probably borrow someone elses, if I wasn't playing at home. :icon_cool:
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline neverness

• Members
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2010, 04:22:40 AM »
Figured I might post a screenshot of the current iteration.

This is neat!
Hopefully 8th edition won't nullify your efforts by going to the 'kill point' system or something...

Offline DekoPuma

• Members
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2010, 05:04:37 PM »
Yeah, it remains to be seen what will be done in 8th edition.  I figured I'd go ahead and code this now for the 5 or so months 7th is still here, then modify it as needed, if possible.

Offline Calvin

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2010, 05:20:56 PM »
What would be really cool (though quite outside the scope of this I'm sure) would be an army builder. You could use it at a game day to build a list on the spot or you could do it some other time and then have it sent to your email.

Also an errata/faq app with a search feature could be pretty useful.
Quote from: Rufas the Eccentric
Remember this every one, when in trouble just screem, CALVIN!
Quote from: Eight
I'd pay an extra 15 points or so to be able to take the engineer out back and shoot him.