home

Author Topic: 2250 Tournament list  (Read 1744 times)

Offline kalle

• Members
2250 Tournament list
« on: March 16, 2010, 12:58:00 PM »
Hejsan,
I'm entering my first tournament in a few weeks. Here is what I have so far. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Characters

Arch Lector (war altar, AoMI, Great Weapon) 256 pts

Warrior Priest (warhorse, Heavy Armour, Great Weapon,  Van Horstmans Speculum) 142 pts

Captain of the empire (Pegasus, Full Plate, Shield, Lance, Pistol) 118 pts

Lvl 2 Battle Wizard (Rod of Power) 130 pts

Core

5 Knights (musician) 123 pts

24 Swordmen (F.C.) 169 pts
 - 9 Halberdiers 45 pts
 - 5 Crossbowmen 40 pts

14 Flaggellants (Prophet) 150 pts

10 Handgunners (Marksman) 85 pts

Special

1 Great Cannon 100 pts

5 Pistolliers (musician) 97 pts

20 Greatswords (F.C.) 230 pts
 - 9 Halberdiers 45 pts
 - 5 Crossbowmen 40 pts

Rare

1 Steamtank 300 pts

Should add up to 2193 pts. Currently I'm thinking about switching the pistolliers for outriders or work in a hochland longrifle or include a second great cannon or two or incoorporate my helblaster somehow? What do you think?
cheeers
Karl

Offline polybus11

• Members
Re: 2250 Tournament list
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2010, 03:28:13 PM »
I would trade your captain there for another Lvl 2 wizard with Wiz staff and Dispel scroll.

I like pistoliers better than outriders but I always take the outrider champ with the repeater pistol.  He often does as much or more than the unit he is with.

If you want to squeeze another cannon in (recomended) you could drop your swordsmen down to one of my favorite units: 15 strong, one is musician, no detatchments.  You can keep your crossbow detatchment actually.  The unit is just used to get in the way of light cav and then get a table quarter.  Possibly could stick it in someone's flank somewhere.

Offline kalle

• Members
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2010, 05:44:02 PM »
Thanks for the reply. Agree that another wiz would give me punch in the magic phase. Should I in that case mount any of the wizards?

Also I have a question about the captain. What unit strength does the cap and the peg have? On page 50 it says that if a mounts has 2 or more wounds in is a monstrous mount and thus has unit strength equal to starting wounds (+ the cap)? From the table on page 71, however, I suppose one could consider the cap on peg as flying cav and then should have unit strength of 2?

Offline polybus11

• Members
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2010, 07:42:10 PM »
Yeah, I usually mount as many of my wizards as points allows.  It helps to be mobile to be able to jump from unit to unit if one unit is going to be charged or to get into advantageous positions.  Some suggest adding the horse mounted wizard to a cannon crew thereby being unit strength 5 and being able to capture a table quarter. 

I believe peg captain would only be us 3... 2 for monster and 1 for the cap.  I don't think it actually qualifies as flying cavalry but it isn't a large target. 

Offline Jelle

• Members
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2010, 10:45:34 PM »
I think your list looks good, but I've got some suggestions to make your list a bit more competative.
Your AL looks good. I'd gve him Van Horstman's Speculum though. I think many people here will agree with me.
Obviously the WP will have to give the VHS up, but if he fights a challenge, that almost certainly means he is in the front of a unit. He isn't unbreakable so it will be likely for him to run after 2 rounds of combat. The AL is unbreakable and when he gets in a challenge, he doesn't care about the enemy unit having a static 5. (3 ranks, banner, outnumber). I field my WP on a barded warhorse, giving him HA and a shield, and giving him sword of might. He is a cheap model, but a effective.
I'd definitely keep the Captasus. He is one of my favourite guys in my army. I would however give him the doomfire ring or aldreds casket. This makes the model, and your magic phase, a lot better, and scarier for your opponent. If any of your characters has to be swapped to a wizard, I'd say you should change the warrior priest to a wizard.
The wizard looks good.
The core look good. I would consider changing the crossbowmen detachments to archer detachments. They're more flexible.
Same goes for the Great Swords.
Last but not least. Two great cannons are so much better then only one. Even though this seems quite obvious, I think it's something some people forget. Two great cannons are very important, to take down all the big stuff, that your troops wont be able to handle. Also they 'protect' your Waltar and Stank from the enemy's artillery.

The Pegasus has US 3, and if you add the captain, the whole model has US 4.

Hope it helps

JJ

Offline kalle

• Members
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2010, 01:01:51 PM »
Thanks for the replies  :smile2:
I have tuned the list somewhat and still have a few points to spare. Once again, advice, critique and ridicule is greatly appreciated.
salute
K

Characters

Arch Lector (AoMI, G.W.,  Van Horstmans Speculum) 286 pts

Warrior Priest (warhorse, Heavy Armour, Great Weapon) 112 pts

Captain of the empire (Full Plate, Shield, Lance, Pistol, Doomfire Ring) 148 pts

Core

- 9 Halberdiers 45 pts
 - 5 Archers 40 pts

Special

1 Great Cannon 100 pts

1 Great Cannon 100 pts

5 Outriders (musician, champion) 129 pts

20 Greatswords (F.C.) 230 pts
 - 9 Halberdiers 45 pts
 - 5 Archers 40 pts

Rare

1 Steamtank 300 pts

That should put me at 2232 pts. Thought about giving the outrider cham p a HRL but don't have the model for it. The only other thing that comes to mind is to either increase blocksizes or gear up the characters somewhat. Ideas?

Also, I wanted to ask if the captain can use the doomfire ring and fire his pistol in the same turn  (would make him a great annoyance  :-D). In addition I was wondering what penalty the outriders get when they fire their multiple shots?

Offline Muppet

• Members
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2010, 05:08:41 PM »
Hej Kalle,

The pistoliers (and any other stuff using multiple shots) will get a -1 to hit modifier (p. 55 in the rule book).

The Captasus can fire his pistol in the shooting phase and then use his doomfire ring in the magic phase. Good to keep in mind is that your Captasus is moved like monster, thus he needs to see where he is aiming his pistol. The doomfire ring though fires in any direction so you can shoot behind you if you like.

By the way, where is the tournament and when?

Regards

Muppet

Offline kalle

• Members
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2010, 05:19:32 PM »
The tournament is @ GothCon in Göteborg, Sweden (2-4 of April). Currently I'm on the reserve list but hopefully someone will bail so that I can have a spot :-)
cheers
Karl

Offline Jelle

• Members
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2010, 05:33:22 PM »
That looks better! :smile2:
I guess the Captain is still mounted on the Pegasus. You might want to put that on the list.
With the 18 pts you've got left, you could mount your warrior priest on a barded warhorse, drop the great weapon, and take a shield and sword of might. This way his armour save is better, and he's still got S5.
I hope you'll be able to participate in the tournament.

JJ

Offline Muppet

• Members
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2010, 08:01:38 PM »
Göteborg, eh? A little bit too far from Sandviken to just drop by and have a look. Hope you will squeeze your way into the tournament! (If you do it would be fun if you told us how you fared.)

Offline kalle

• Members
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2010, 10:31:37 PM »
Thanks for the help  :smile2: If I get to play I'll let you know how I did ... here is the final list (beefed up the WP and added another halbardier for the final 5 pts for a grand total of 2250)
salute
K

Characters

Arch Lector (War Altar, AoMI, Great Weapon, Van Horstmans Speculum) 286 pts

Warrior Priest (Barded Warhorse, Heavy Armour, Shield, Sword of Might) 125 pts

Captain of the empire (Pegasus, Full Plate, Shield, Lance, Pistol, Doomfire Ring) 148 pts

Core

- 9 Halberdiers 45 pts
 - 5 Archers 40 pts

Special

1 Great Cannon 100 pts

1 Great Cannon 100 pts

5 Outriders (musician, champion) 129 pts