home

Author Topic: Happy and Random Thoughts!  (Read 835761 times)

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
Re: Happy and Random Thoughts!
« Reply #9500 on: April 04, 2020, 11:40:22 AM »
Mathi Alfblut Feb 4,2017 Simple, You gut the bastard with your sword, the viking way.
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020
Yes, even W:AoS.

Offline Feanor Fire Heart

• His Royal Highness
  • Members
« Reply #9501 on: April 04, 2020, 09:25:12 PM »
Since moving to Massachusetts, we've encountered a lot of wildlife in our yard. The second or third night here I could hear owls just outside the house. One was on one side of the house, and another on the other side. They were talking to each other. I checked out what kind of owls they were, and based on the hooting of the owls in the area, it matches the great horned owl.

There are also rabbits. Not only did I see one outside the living room window one night, but I have found their droppings in the yard.

This morning I saw a fox trot across the street. When I looked in my neighbors backyard, following the path of the fox, hoping to see it again; I saw a rabbit, cotton tail up and in flight, dart across the yard and hide under the neighbor's house. The fox trotted on by, looking for it but the rabbit hid well and it went into the woods behind my yard.

My wife has seen a full flock of turkeys (12-13) waddling around in the morning just down the street on her way to work (this was shortly before COVID-19 started locking down the state). I too have seen them waddling in yards or crossing the street in the morning in groups of 2 or 3.

Our second week in our new house there was 7 deer in the backyard. I took my oldest onto the deck so she could watch. She thought they were big dogs and kept saying "Hello woof woof" over and over again. This spooked them and they cautiously retreated in the woods. Watching us from afar as they left in an orderly fashion.

On another day, feeling cabin fever-ish, I took both girls outside. The oldest was walking around, while I had the youngest strapped to my chest. we were hanging out by the side of the house with the water and power meters, when I turned around and saw what I thought was a squirrel facing me. I took a couple of steps towards it (it was about 40-yards away) to see if I could get closer, but instead of turning tale and running, it sucked its head back into the ground. It was at that point I realized it was no squirrel, but a gopher! I walked over and sure enough it was a hole. I talked with one of the neighbors today, trying to see what they do to keep the animals off their lawns, and she said gophers are not known to be around here and it was probably a vole or a woodchuck. Looking them up and the vole seems too small for what I saw (it was just a head) and the woodchuck seems too big. So who knows what it is.

There has also been a fairly large flock of seagulls circling the street since we moved in. About 30-40 seagulls in total, just a big dense circle above our street. Not sure why.

Based on the neighborhood app we have installed, there is a pig farm between our town and the town next to us. Depending on which way the wind blows, sometimes just walking outside smells like a farm...or sewage. Apparently when the wind blows the opposite direction, the other town gets to "enjoy" the smell too. This has caused both towns to complain but as far as I can tell nothing can be done since its private property. Its going to be fun going outside in the summer, depending on which way the wind blows...
 :closed-eyes:
Something we as painters and hobbyists should always remember:
“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
― Jake the Dog

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #9502 on: April 04, 2020, 11:52:51 PM »
Since moving to Massachusetts, we've encountered a lot of wildlife in our yard. The second or third night here I could hear owls just outside the house. One was on one side of the house, and another on the other side. They were talking to each other. I checked out what kind of owls they were, and based on the hooting of the owls in the area, it matches the great horned owl.

There are also rabbits. Not only did I see one outside the living room window one night, but I have found their droppings in the yard.

This morning I saw a fox trot across the street. When I looked in my neighbors backyard, following the path of the fox, hoping to see it again; I saw a rabbit, cotton tail up and in flight, dart across the yard and hide under the neighbor's house. The fox trotted on by, looking for it but the rabbit hid well and it went into the woods behind my yard.

My wife has seen a full flock of turkeys (12-13) waddling around in the morning just down the street on her way to work (this was shortly before COVID-19 started locking down the state). I too have seen them waddling in yards or crossing the street in the morning in groups of 2 or 3.

Our second week in our new house there was 7 deer in the backyard. I took my oldest onto the deck so she could watch. She thought they were big dogs and kept saying "Hello woof woof" over and over again. This spooked them and they cautiously retreated in the woods. Watching us from afar as they left in an orderly fashion.

On another day, feeling cabin fever-ish, I took both girls outside. The oldest was walking around, while I had the youngest strapped to my chest. we were hanging out by the side of the house with the water and power meters, when I turned around and saw what I thought was a squirrel facing me. I took a couple of steps towards it (it was about 40-yards away) to see if I could get closer, but instead of turning tale and running, it sucked its head back into the ground. It was at that point I realized it was no squirrel, but a gopher! I walked over and sure enough it was a hole. I talked with one of the neighbors today, trying to see what they do to keep the animals off their lawns, and she said gophers are not known to be around here and it was probably a vole or a woodchuck. Looking them up and the vole seems too small for what I saw (it was just a head) and the woodchuck seems too big. So who knows what it is.

There has also been a fairly large flock of seagulls circling the street since we moved in. About 30-40 seagulls in total, just a big dense circle above our street. Not sure why.

Based on the neighborhood app we have installed, there is a pig farm between our town and the town next to us. Depending on which way the wind blows, sometimes just walking outside smells like a farm...or sewage. Apparently when the wind blows the opposite direction, the other town gets to "enjoy" the smell too. This has caused both towns to complain but as far as I can tell nothing can be done since its private property. Its going to be fun going outside in the summer, depending on which way the wind blows...
 :closed-eyes:
Welcome to New England! :icon_mrgreen: :::cheers:::

Wildlife abounds!  That's great regarding the owls ... rare even here.  Rabbits can be found in certain areas.  I know this certain sea side park where they're everywhere.  The fox are out and about, so cool to see them occasionally.  I once saw so many turkeys in one location that I turned the car around, and went back to count them.  I counted exactly 100, but might have been slightly off with that many, totally nuts.  Today I saw 6 males with the little bit of red hanging from their throats.  Seven 7 deer is a good bit to see all at once, congrats!  It is still winter and they do congregate looking for food together and perhaps to keep warm.  The "gopher", probably a small/one year old woodchuck.  And ah!  Pigs, cows, horses ... nohting like the smell of manure in New England.  Welcome Feanor and family!

:icon_biggrin: :icon_cool: :eusa_clap: :::cheers:::
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #9503 on: April 05, 2020, 02:05:08 AM »
Loved having all that type of wildlife at the old place!
I said in the unhappy thread that I was missing a number of models. That was true as well as the fact that when I was telling my son about the loss, he looked at me and said ‘you mean the ones you gave to me for a dnd game’ he was playing a year ago.
Yes, those are the ones. Goddamned looney having a true senior moment !
All well that ends well ffs.
😺
Mathi Alfblut Feb 4,2017 Simple, You gut the bastard with your sword, the viking way.
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #9504 on: April 05, 2020, 03:23:08 AM »
So he still has them? Awesome if he does.  Get them back! :icon_wink: :icon_lol:

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

• His Royal Highness
  • Members
« Reply #9505 on: April 06, 2020, 12:42:26 AM »
“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
― Jake the Dog

• His Royal Highness
  • Members
« Reply #9506 on: April 06, 2020, 01:40:43 AM »

Welcome to New England! :icon_mrgreen: :::cheers:::

Wildlife abounds!  That's great regarding the owls ... rare even here.  Rabbits can be found in certain areas.  I know this certain sea side park where they're everywhere.  The fox are out and about, so cool to see them occasionally.  I once saw so many turkeys in one location that I turned the car around, and went back to count them.  I counted exactly 100, but might have been slightly off with that many, totally nuts.  Today I saw 6 males with the little bit of red hanging from their throats.  Seven 7 deer is a good bit to see all at once, congrats!  It is still winter and they do congregate looking for food together and perhaps to keep warm.  The "gopher", probably a small/one year old woodchuck.  And ah!  Pigs, cows, horses ... nohting like the smell of manure in New England.  Welcome Feanor and family!

:icon_biggrin: :icon_cool: :eusa_clap: :::cheers:::

One of the neighbors on the neighborhood app sighted a beaver crossing a parking lot not too far away. Another reported seeing bears walking down one of the mains streets.

The UK has goats taking over and we have beavers and bears moving in now that humans are not around to scare them away.
― Jake the Dog

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #9507 on: April 07, 2020, 03:15:21 PM »
Ha! I thought these were long gone (probably ok if they were). I was 15 (‘79) and this was as close to riding these I ever got. My cousin and his dad were Harley fans forever but I was hooked on that triumph ‘68 650. My other cousin painted the tank emblem. I could have had this rigid frame MF’er for $3K at the time. May as well been $3 million. These pics are for Grutch as he is a Harley fan. That was a new 80 cubic inch ‘77 1200 cc low rider. That was beyond even dreaming about.
Disregard that bastard ginger on the bikes. I don’t know who he was (😺)

Just remembered. That wasn’t an 80 cubic in motor. He got a new 1980 or 81 with the first 80” type a little later.

« Last Edit: April 07, 2020, 03:35:22 PM by Artobans Ghost »
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #9508 on: April 07, 2020, 05:23:38 PM »
I'm a tall guy, would never fit on to one of those.  Looks like the guy is already too tall for them in the picture. :icon_wink:

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #9509 on: April 07, 2020, 05:36:18 PM »
I'm a tall guy, would never fit on to one of those.  Looks like the guy is already too tall for them in the picture. :icon_wink:

As it happened, my cousin did take me for a ride onthe Harley. He said ever again. Was like riding with a tree attached lol. I was pretty disappointed. I mean the guy in the pic was disappointed 😺
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020

• His Royal Highness
  • Members
« Reply #9510 on: April 08, 2020, 12:38:12 AM »
Since we don't know if its a gopher, a vole, or a woodchuck, we have started referring to it as "The Beast." My wife has seen the beast almost once a day in our neighbors yard. She agrees with me that its too small to be a woodchuck and too big to be a vole. We're pretty sure its a gopher, even though the neighbors say there are none in the area.

In other news:

@Artoban:
Thats a handsome devil there. I am sure the ladies blushed whenever he came around. Whomever he was.  :mrgreen:
― Jake the Dog

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #9511 on: April 08, 2020, 03:26:51 AM »
 :icon_eek: Looks like he got stopped for going 110mph!

- - - - - -

As for the Beast ... take a picture. :icon_cool:

Offline Fidelis von Sigmaringen

• Members
  • Attorney-at-RAW
« Reply #9512 on: April 08, 2020, 07:02:52 AM »
Nuln oil...
It is not enough to have no ideas of your own; you must also be incapable of expressing them.
Sex, lies and manuscripts: The History of the Empire as Depicted in the Art of the Time (10/07/16)

Offline Victor

• Members
  • ✠ Sol Invictus ✠
« Reply #9513 on: April 08, 2020, 11:24:40 AM »
Absolutely essential!

Offline Rowsdower

• Members
  • Is there beer on the sun?
    • Jesse Cowled
« Reply #9514 on: April 08, 2020, 11:41:52 AM »
I've read enough about the blitz to know how to survive a crisis
1: Don't panic [especially if your name is Captain Manwaring]
2: Conserve food. Live off spam if need be
3: Don't waste essentials
4: Be on the look out for nuns, wearing jackboots and speaking in thick, German accents

• Members
  • Attorney-at-RAW
« Reply #9515 on: April 08, 2020, 11:44:11 AM »

It is not enough to have no ideas of your own; you must also be incapable of expressing them.
Sex, lies and manuscripts: The History of the Empire as Depicted in the Art of the Time (10/07/16)

• Members
  • Attorney-at-RAW
« Reply #9516 on: April 08, 2020, 11:45:59 AM »

• His Royal Highness
  • Members
« Reply #9517 on: April 08, 2020, 12:48:44 PM »
:icon_eek: Looks like he got stopped for going 110mph!
Needed to get there before it was all gone. My guess is someone is horde buying it so now its scarce.
https://www.games-workshop.com/en-US/Shade-Nuln-Oil-2019
Out of stock.

As for the Beast ... take a picture. :icon_cool:
Haha, I'll ask her to.

Absolutely essential!
One of my favorite washes for sure.

I've read enough about the blitz to know how to survive a crisis
1: Don't panic [especially if your name is Captain Manwaring]
2: Conserve food. Live off spam if need be
3: Don't waste essentials
4: Be on the look out for nuns, wearing jackboots and speaking in thick, German accents
And girl scouts:
― Jake the Dog

• Members
  • Attorney-at-RAW
« Reply #9518 on: April 11, 2020, 11:01:54 AM »

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #9519 on: April 11, 2020, 12:47:08 PM »
That cat one is crazy! Can’t be real?
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020

• Members
  • Attorney-at-RAW
« Reply #9520 on: April 12, 2020, 08:59:40 AM »

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #9521 on: April 12, 2020, 01:18:00 PM »
Not sure what calendar they use in Munich, but October hasn't arrived yet in the US for such issues to be occurring. :icon_wink:

• His Royal Highness
  • Members
« Reply #9522 on: April 12, 2020, 05:24:33 PM »
I mentioned in the gamer thread that actor Henry Cavill (Superman: Man of Steel, Justice League, The Witcher) plays Warhammer Total War and said as much in an interview. Well it looks like its not just the Warhammer video games. This quarantine has made shut ins of everyone. He decided to take that energy and apply it to the table top:

― Jake the Dog

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #9523 on: April 12, 2020, 06:33:47 PM »
Sounds like Henry is enjoying the hobby. :icon_cool: :::cheers:::

• His Royal Highness
  • Members
« Reply #9524 on: April 14, 2020, 05:11:01 PM »
Sounds like Henry is enjoying the hobby. :icon_cool: :::cheers:::
If I didn't have two little ones to chase during this quarantine I would be too.  :::cheers:::

Like it or hate it, the star wars sequel trilogy had some cool nerdy easter eggs. Here is one I missed until someone pointed it out to me (not sure if it was in Last Jedi or Rise of Skywalker):

Notice the badge on this pilot's helmet?

Take a closer look:

Nice Last Starfighter reference.

in other news

― Jake the Dog