home

Author Topic: Steg's Battle Reports (last update: 2015-10-19)  (Read 47185 times)

Offline Cursain

• Members
Re: Steg's Battle Reports (last update: 2012-04-22)
« Reply #50 on: May 04, 2012, 11:19:36 PM »
Thanks for the battle report StealthKnightSteg.
Man our demigryphs and anything armored fall apart like a wet paper bag when it comes to goblins and their armor avoidance abilities......sigh.

Offline StealthKnightSteg

• Members
  • Squishing Squickhoppers since 1999
    • https://www.facebook.com/vincent.goede
Re: Steg's Battle Reports (last update: 2012-05-05)
« Reply #51 on: May 04, 2012, 11:27:24 PM »
Indeed, that matchup on the left flank was utterly crap and on the other flank I really fluffed every damn charge roll and then taking impact hits which I then fluffed to save..

I did learn a bit more about moving with detachments and such which come out better in the next battles!

Next up will be Empire vs Empire 2500 (against Commandant), will probably do that sunday during the day.
Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.

"Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." -- Kristian Wilson, Nintendo, Inc, 1989

Offline commandant

• Members
« Reply #52 on: May 05, 2012, 11:20:24 AM »
You need 2 cannons man

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #53 on: May 05, 2012, 11:58:10 AM »
Great report Steg! I haven't played you yet, have I: next year for sure!

You actually cast the bound spell on the hurricane wagon? I played against two of those and at no point did my opponents even consider the idea!

I'm not sure owlbear knights are much good, but maybe that's because I found out the ogre version costs only a small amount extra and is way better.
Hey, I could still beat up a woman!
If I wanted to.

Offline Willem I

• Members
  • Sovereign Prince of the Netherlands
« Reply #54 on: May 05, 2012, 12:38:30 PM »
Ogres dont use rules, so it's kinda comparing apples to oranges ;)

History in the making: Averland 8th Militia

In my sword, the wind.
In my heart, courage.
In my eyes, death.
I am Matsu.

~ from Kakito Marushijins play, No Mans Bride

• Members
« Reply #55 on: May 05, 2012, 12:54:01 PM »

You actually cast the bound spell on the hurricane wagon? I played against two of those and at no point did my opponents even consider the idea!

I'm not sure owlbear knights are much good, but maybe that's because I found out the ogre version costs only a small amount extra and is way better.

You have played me last year together with Finlay on the last day 3k Orcs & Goblins of yours combined against my 3k Empire. But not one on one yet. Would be nice for us to do a game next year for sure!

I find the bound spell from the hurricanum useful to cast to draw out dispel dice as the unexpected result from the spell frightens people, it can be nothing but can be devastating as well. And if it gets dispelled so what I have other good spells and prayers I then can try and cast next :)

The Demigryph Knights are not so good on their own I found out unless they charge a really crappy opponent, but the do swing a drawed battle in your favour as a support unit and I think you should see them as that. They will life longer that way aswell for the amount of points you put on the table that way. I think Pistoliers will be my harrasment choice nr1 again.

"Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." -- Kristian Wilson, Nintendo, Inc, 1989

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #56 on: May 05, 2012, 01:25:08 PM »
Was that me though? Not sure it was! Maybe it was FR1DAY?

I'm sure the bound spell is helpful, I just thought it was funny that I never saw anyone try to cast it.

I think I regret buying my owlbear knights actually. I might sell them (still on the sprues!).

Quote from: Willem I
Ogres dont use rules, so it's kinda comparing apples to oranges

True!
Hey, I could still beat up a woman!
If I wanted to.

Offline Cursain

• Members
« Reply #57 on: May 05, 2012, 01:35:54 PM »

I agree.  I think Empire is paying a premium for a 1+ armour save and WS 4.
Compare the demigryph to the Mournfang in a prolonged battle vs say....a unit of DE spearmen. I think the Mournfang is much better being T4, and dishing out S5 impact hits, and getting 5 attacks. 

I'm not sure how they factor the points but demi gryphs should cost at least 5 less than mournfangs.  The T3 hurts, especially against stupid warmachines that ignore armour.

Offline Lord Solar Plexus

• Members
« Reply #58 on: May 07, 2012, 09:19:52 AM »
Most warmachines that matter wound T4 as easily as T3. Mournfangs may well be better. In all honesty I would care if I could chose between the two.

Steg, thanks for another cool batrep. On your turn 3, your Swordsmen charged the Boar Chariot and took a wound. Are those things stubborn/unbreakable or did your opponent just roll well for the chariot's break test?

Same question regarding the Halberdiers vs Arachnarok, is it stubborn?
Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of Congress; but I repeat myself. - S. Clemens

www.tablepott.de - Wir sind das Ruhrgebiet!
www.rheinerftliga.haarrrgh.de

Offline Fandir Nightshade

• Members
« Reply #59 on: May 07, 2012, 09:21:37 AM »
Yes stubborn but I think with very low ld so you have to keep it close to the boss.

• Members
« Reply #60 on: May 07, 2012, 09:33:39 AM »
The Boar Chariot had a succesfull breaktest if I remember correctly and the Spider actually won combat but I sticked around on Hold the Line at Ld9

• Members
« Reply #61 on: May 07, 2012, 09:36:36 AM »
Was that me though? Not sure it was! Maybe it was FR1DAY?

I'm sure the bound spell is helpful, I just thought it was funny that I never saw anyone try to cast it.

I think I regret buying my owlbear knights actually. I might sell them (still on the sprues!).

Quote from: Willem I
Ogres dont use rules, so it's kinda comparing apples to oranges

True!

Oh I think it was Fr1day indeed last year, so the we definatly need a battle next year!

maybe that bound spell is easy to forget aswell that you have it with the new toy there is so many things to remember..

I might be interested in those owlbears then if you really want to sell them on! I still want 2 boxes to model me some Halber wielding knights aswell.

• Members
« Reply #62 on: May 07, 2012, 11:16:05 AM »
The Boar Chariot had a succesfull breaktest if I remember correctly and the Spider actually won combat but I sticked around on Hold the Line at Ld9

Ah, okay. I thought you had won against the Spider (3:3 wounds + a pile of SCR).
Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of Congress; but I repeat myself. - S. Clemens

• Members
« Reply #63 on: May 07, 2012, 11:25:54 AM »

Ah, okay. I thought you had won against the Spider (3:3 wounds + a pile of SCR).

Hmm seems you are right, probably the Spider got easy on the break test that round, the round after I lost the combat due to the savage orcs in my flank..

• Members
« Reply #64 on: May 07, 2012, 11:29:24 AM »
Also you could have placed your Hurricanum better (closer to the Halberdiers) to grant them also +1 to hit against the spider. At least from the look of your diagramm the hurricanum just barely touching the Greatsword unit and also placed pointing to the table edge instead of towards the O&G army should have been enough to grant more units the bubble effect.

That said great work on those reports I will dig through all of them and give you more smart ass advice (if you want it...otherwise I just enjoy your great work and shut up).

• Members
« Reply #65 on: May 07, 2012, 11:36:47 AM »
I'm half way the report of me against Commandant, you'll see that positioning of my hurricanum from that battle on will be better :)

And please give as much comments as you can, all will be very usefull for me to analyse my own gaming! But start with the O&G against Finlay as the other once posted here are older and don't matter that much anymore with the new book.

• Members
« Reply #66 on: May 07, 2012, 12:24:55 PM »
What was your reason to place knights (white wolves) in front of knights (Demigryphons) better to keep one unit in reserve in the center and move them where you need them next time.

The biggest mistake that lost you the game was retreating with your swordsmen during the turn your halberds attacked the Spider, they should have advanced into the path of the savage orc big unz in and in an angle accept the charge of the savage orcs to divert them away from the battle, your halberdiers would have most likely killed his spider in that turn and could have helped out against the rest of Finlays army in the center.

Here just move towards them and in an angle to the table edge on your right they would have been out of the game for at least 2 turns charging killing overrunning next turn reform and only the turn after that maybe in charge range.

• Members
« Reply #67 on: May 07, 2012, 12:42:27 PM »
I put out the KotWW there first to face the Artillery when the trolls came on I figured that I needed support there to even get a change, eventually moving up was just a bit to far (15"out and the trolls charging exactly 15") and the following combats was just crap against Troll Vomit..

Thanks for pointing that out! That would have been a way better option to go with then trying to flank the Savage Orcs a turn later with my Swordsmen, as I didn't stick around with my Halberdier horde that turn..

• Members
« Reply #68 on: May 07, 2012, 12:58:17 PM »
You were too defensive overall you waited for Finlay to come to you and basically gave him control where to fight and when your army could have advanced aggressively with the war altar and the hurricanum right behind with some diverting (savage orcs) you could have most likely overtaken the other units in his army in hand to hand fighting.

Also I know it is some work to redo the unit bases but I suggest you field your greatswords 7 wide and either cut the unit to 21 or increase to 28 somehow 7 is the way to go as 14 attacks of high Ws and S are better than 10 attacks with +1 CR.

Especially with a Hurricanum and War Altar around.

• Members
« Reply #69 on: May 07, 2012, 01:32:23 PM »
Yeah that defensive feeling I had aswell and it will show in the next battles that I am a bit more offensive (made a bad mistake against Shavs dwarfs again though on this)

I will look into 7 wide GS of 28 then I think, just need to figure out how to account for 3 more in the list then.

• Members
« Reply #70 on: May 07, 2012, 01:33:57 PM »
Drop the musicians and the champions how often have you used the free reform in the last 5 games?

Champions are fine on knights and demigryphons otherwise they are 10 points bad invested (as are musicians) nobody will force you to kick the models out of the unit just make sure you tell the enemy that you have no command in the unit.

• Members
« Reply #71 on: May 07, 2012, 01:47:13 PM »
well the Musicians I used alot actually... I want them for my detachments aswell damnit!  :biggriin:
Champions in my Regimental unit were pivitol a few times to make sure my characters weren't picked up in a challenge I knew I would loose!

• Members
« Reply #72 on: May 07, 2012, 01:47:39 PM »
Battle reports are indeed very helpful in analysing one's mistakes. Of course it's all easier to lean back and discuss to and fro than during the heat of a battle but still. For example, my lone BSB got charged by a Plague Priest in my last battle. The PP caused one wound, so we figured wound + charge > army standard = dead BSB but he occupied a house and it only dawned on me much later that there is no charge bonus. 

Good that you bring that picture up once more. It looks as if the Halberdiers are quite a bit forward - can you even get them all into contact? Wheeling 90 degrees and then moving straight ahead appears to bring only a couple of Halberdiers into the fight.

• Members
« Reply #73 on: May 07, 2012, 02:12:51 PM »
well the diagram doesn't do the actual thing justice as you can see in the picture

I didn't get all 10 models in contact but about 8 maybe 9

• Members
Steg's Battle Reports - 2500 Commandant's Empire
« Reply #74 on: May 07, 2012, 09:23:30 PM »
Ducktastic Empire vs. Empire
============================

Overview
--------
Scenario: Normal Pitched Battle
Date played: zaterdag 28 april 2012

After the lost battle against the Orcs & Goblins the scouts reported that the Orcs & Goblins returned back to the mountains.
Taking note that the battle went poorly General Johan van den Kornput decided that his army needed some extra battle training and asked one of the local standing armies to set up against the 2nd Intervention Army of Altdorf.
A few Battle Wizard Lords put up some protective shields to make sure no one would actually get killed though they would feel the pain from hits.

Spell selection:
The Heavens Battle Wizard Lord from Commandant's Army rolled 1-4-5-6
1.  Harmonic Convergence
4. Urannon's Thunderbolt
5. Comet of Casandora
6. Chain Lightning

Janus Dousa - Battle Wizard Lord (Fire) rolled 2-5-5-6 and took
Sig. Fireball
2. Flaming Sword of Rhuin
3. The Burning Head
5. Fulminating Flame Cage

Ducktastic Empire
-----------------
General: Commandant

Lord:
  (AL) Infantry, Arch Lector [1 point]

(BWL) Infantry, Battle Wizard Lord [1 point]
      - Level 4, Heavens

Hero:
  (BSB) Infantry, Captain of the Empire [1 point]
      - BSB

(CotE) Monstrous Cavalry, Captain of the Empire [1 point]
      - Pegasus

(WP) Infantry, Warrior Priest [1 point]

(WH) Infantry, Witch Hunter [1 point]
      - Brace of Pistols

(ME) Infantry, Master Engineer [65 points]

Core:
  (Hal1) 50 Infantry, Halberdiers [450 points]
      - Full Command, Regimental Unit

Detachment:
  (Hal2) 20 Infantry, Halberdiers [0 points]
      - Detachment of Halberdiers

Core:
  (HG) 10 Infantry, Handgunners [90 points]

(ICK) 10 Cavalry, Knightly Orders Inner Circle [280 points]
      - Full Command

Special:
  (GS) 40 Infantry, Greatswords [470 points]

(GC) War Machine, Great Cannon [120 points]
      - 3 Crew

Rare:
  (HVG) Warmachine, Helblaster Volley Gun [120 points]

(CH) Chariot, Celestial Hurricanum [130 points]

Total: 1731 points
  ------------------

Empire
------
General: StealthKnightSteg (Vincent)

Lord:
  (AL) Infantry / Chariot, Arch Lector [319 points]
      + War Altar
      - HA, The White Cloak of Ulric, Enchanted Shield

(BWL) Infantry, Battle Wizard Lord [225 points]
      - Level 4 Fire, Dispel Scroll

Hero:
  (CotE) Infantry, Captain of the Empire [138 points]
      - BSB, FPA, Shield, Dawnstone, Dragonhelm, Shrieking Blade

(ME) Infantry, Master Engineer [65 points]

(WP) Infantry, Warrior Priest [94 points]
      - HA, Shield, Ironcurse Icon, Sword of Might

Core:
  (Hal) 40 Infantry, Halberdiers [435 points]
      - Full Command, Detachments of 10 FCM + 15 Swordsmen

Detachment:
  (Sw1) 15 Infantry, Swordsmen [0 points]

(Fc1) 10 Infantry, Free Company Militia [0 points]

Core:
  (Kn) 5 Cavalry, Knightly Orders [110 points]
      - Great Weapons

(ICK) 5 Cavalry, Knightly Orders Inner Circle [125 points]
      - Lance and Shield

Special:
  (DGK) 3 Monstrous Cavalry, Demigryph Knights [174 points]
      - Lances

(GC) Warmachine, Great Cannon [120 points]
      - 3 crew

(GS) 25 Infantry, Greatswords [445 points]
      - Full Command, Detachments of 10 FCM + 15 Swordsmen

Detachment:
  (Sw2) 15 Infantry, Swordsmen [0 points]
      - Detachment of Greatswords

(Fc2) 10 Infantry, Free Company Militia [0 points]
      - Detachment of Greatswords

Rare:
  (CH) Chariot, Celestial Hurricanum [130 points]

(HBVG) Warmachine, Hellblaster Volley Gun [120 points]

Total: 2500 points
  ------------------

Deployment
----------

2500 Points:

Using the same Battlefield structure as against the Orcs & Goblins the 2nd Intervention Army set up on the same side.

Commandant's Army deployed from left to right:
Helblaster Volley Gun -  Master Engineer - Great Cannon - Inner Circle Knights / Halberdier detachment - Halberdier Horde with Witch Hunter
and Warrior Priest - Celectial Hurricanum / Handgunners with Wizard Lord behind the Building - Greatsword Horde with the Arch Lector and
Battle Standard Bearer - Pegasus Captain hiding behind the rock formation.

Johan van den Kornput deployed his army from left to right:
Knights of the White Wolf / Swordsmen Detachment 2 / Demigryph Knights - Ostermarks Free Company Militia 2 / Greatswords - Great Cannon -
Arch Lector on War Altar - Helblaster Volley Gun / Master Engineer - Ostermarks Free Company Militia 1 with the Fire Wizard Lord -
Halberdier Horde / Celectial Hurricanum - Swordsmen Detachment 1 - Inner Circle Knights of the Blazing Sun on the other side of the table.

The roll off let Johan take the first turn. But the Witch Hunter called out a Heresy against Janus Dousa the Fire Wizard Lord.

Turn 1 - Empire
---------------

Movement phase:
All of the empire moved forwards besides the artillery.

Magic phase:
8PD - 7DD
Flaming Cage was cast upon the Inner Circle Knights. S10 big template
Burning Head IF cast on the Halberdiers where the Witch Hunter failed his look out, Sir! roll taking 1 wound with 2 more Halberdiers dead
S10 big template on the Wizard giving him 1 wound and taking down 4 Militia

Shooting phase:
The Great Cannon put one wound on the Helblaster

Turn 1 - Ducktastic Empire
--------------------------

Movement phase:
Inner Circle Knights charge the flank of the Knights of the White Wolf
Handgunners with the Wizard Lord move into the building.
Rest of the Army moves up.

Magic phase:
10PD - 6DD
Extended Comet of Cassandora was Irresistably Cast just infront of my War Altar. (2 marks on it)
He did loose 2 levels and forgot the Convergence beside the Comet.

Shooting phase:
Great Cannon missed the Hurricanum
Helblaster put 1 wound on the Demigryph Knights

Combat phase:
The Knights of the White Wolf loose combat and run of the table and the Inner Circle Knights followed taking
2 dead from the Fulminating Cage

Turn 2 - Empire
---------------

Movement phase:
Demigryph Knights charged the Helblaster
The Greatswords and their Swordsmen detachment setup to catch the Inner Circle Knights when they return.
The rest moved in closer.

Magic phase:
10PD - 4DD
Banisment from the War Altar kills 6 Halberdiers

Shooting phase:
10 Halberdiers lay dead after a good volley by the Helblaster Volley Gun
And the Great Cannon took out their counterpart.

Close Combat phase:
The Demigryph Knights lay waste to the Helblaster and overran into the Master Engineer.

Turn 2 - Ducktastic Empire
--------------------------

Movement phase:
Halberdier Horde charges the Free Company Militia detachment 1
Halberdier detachment charges Free Company Miltia detachment 2
Pegasus.. ehmm Duck Captain charges my Hurricanum in the flank
Inner Circle Knights came back on the table and moved a little to face the Swordsmen
The Hurricanum and Greatsword horde both moved up.

Magic phase:
The Comet landed putting 3 wounds on the War Altar, destroying the Great Cannon and the Helblaster.
Chain Lightning followed putting my wizard out, jumping to my War Altar where it did not do anything,
From there it jumped to the Halberdiers and then the Swordsmen1 killing 4 and 2 respectivly.

Shooting phase:
In hindsight I think he forgot his Handgunners here!

Close Combat phase:
Engineer died by the Demigryph Knights which then reformed to face the battlefield.
The Militia 1 detachment got overrun by the Halberdier Horde which then met with my Horde
The Halberdier Detachment did win combat against my Militia 2 but only killing 3, Though they
did break and so the Halberdiers met up with the War Altar (just clipping it)
The Duck Captain managed to put 3 wounds on the Hurricanum. But it stuck around.

to be continued...
« Last Edit: May 08, 2012, 03:09:13 PM by StealthKnightSteg »