home

Author Topic: Timbor's Fantasy Log (12-7 Westfalia Halflings)  (Read 70507 times)

Offline Timbor

• Members
Re: Timbor's Fantastic Fantasy Log (08-18 WK Halflings!)
« Reply #150 on: August 19, 2012, 12:19:25 AM »
Finally, I can share these photos!  As you may have seen, I was given the chance to paint up some mastercastings of WK's halfling heads for him to post pictures.  I painted up 6 of them, and they were a blast!  The details are nice and clear, and the faces have loads of character.  The best heads of the lot were the bare heads, and with 12 in total they will allow for lots of unit customization!

The are a tad smaller than GW halflings, but I think they would mix ok in a unit.  I hope to paint up some GW ones soon to post some size comparison painted photos.

Here are a couple photos, I have some more photos and discussion on my blog

The middle halfling, with the halberd, in this picture is my favourite of all.  I named him Tom, because he kinda looks like my late grandfather:

And here are the other 3 I painted:
If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason. - J.H.

Paint Log: link  Blog: My Life in Millimetres

Offline White Knight

• Members
« Reply #151 on: August 19, 2012, 06:59:17 AM »
The are a tad smaller than GW halflings

Don't you mean "taller"?  :Ohmy:

Offline Timbor

• Members
« Reply #152 on: August 19, 2012, 12:01:51 PM »
Well,  smaller in girth, which is the more important measurement for a halfling  :closed-eyes:
If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason. - J.H.

Offline Padre

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #153 on: August 23, 2012, 09:16:49 PM »
Those are gorgeous enough to make me want to start a halfling army. Lovely figures, great paint job.
Photobucket has now re-destroyed my pictures, so the first half of my collected works thread is no longer working again. To see my website version of the campaign thread, with fully functioning pictures, please go to https://bigsmallworlds.com/

Offline Timbor

• Members
« Reply #154 on: December 10, 2012, 04:23:07 AM »
Long time no update?!?!

Well, I was here the whole time.  Most of the fall was spent painting Arthurians and Saxons for the historical skirmish game Dux Britanniarum.  I will not bore you with the pictures and details of those adventures, for you can read about them on my blog.  Though if folks are interested in that sorta non-empirey thing, I will post the pictures here as well.  Just ask.

Now, back on topic, I recently stumbled upon a wonderful resource for building terrain - specifically Mordheim, ruined terrain.  You can check it out here: http://www.ironhands.com/mordheim.htm  - I would suggest adding it as a bookmark.  Now, what caught my eye was how the author used porcelain Christmas buildings in his Mordheim stuff - link.  Tis being the season of such ornaments, I thought it was a splendid idea and proceeded to scour the online classifieds for a good source of gently used porcelain buildings.  After a successful search, I returned home with three suitable targets.  Here is the first test piece:

I think the witch hunter fits in wonderfully with the serene, winter wonderland portrayed by this cozy little dwelling, don't you?  Also, I think the scale works beautifully.

After admiring the piece, I assembled a few of my more delicate instruments:

Donning the glasses (safety first, folks!) I went to town trying to make a convincing ruin.  The porcelain is quite tricky to work with, as it is quite hard and tends to break in large pieces.  I managed to end up with this piece here:

I think its a good start.  I had hoped I would be able to punch out the doors and windows, but that seems like an impossible task due to the properties of the porcelain.  The building you see is actually 2 pieces, as it cracked down the middle.  That will glue together fine, but it gives you an idea of how finicky it is to precisely smash porcelain.  I  may have a go with a dremel and a grinding wheel (outside where my mess will not get me in trouble, most likely) or I might just leave it as is.  The inside will need some decorating - a second floor, wooden planks and rubble, etc.  I might try and add the inside of the chimney using milliput or something similar.  I suppose the outside of the house will be painted minimally - likely just some brown and black washes and some drybrushing, then I will have to base it.  The building cost me $5, so I think for the investment it is looking quite swell so far! 

Any suggestions?

Offline Albrecht Hexenjaeger

• Members
  • Imperial Liberal
Re: Timbor's Fantastic Fantasy Log (12-10 Mordheim!)
« Reply #155 on: December 10, 2012, 08:27:37 AM »
Not really, but I LOLed.  :biggriin:
I got my affordable healthcare. Now I need affordable miniatures.

Offline Alleton

• Members
  • I'm not unit champion, shoot someone else!
« Reply #156 on: December 10, 2012, 05:03:50 PM »
Because of the properties of porcelain, I would have probably made a mold using the porcelain one as a master, and using the resin one to modify.

That would have defeated the purpose of cheap sourcing however, may as well but one of the great pieces of scenery other places sell.

I wish you luck on your journey of discovery.
Demonslayer
 "hey, let's use one of those seals that keep ultimate darkness contained and use it to fry goblins, also have it be operated by the college janitor".

Warhammer Plog:
http://warhammer-empire.com/theforum/index.php?topic=42622.msg751211#msg751211

Offline Timbor

• Members
« Reply #157 on: December 10, 2012, 05:30:22 PM »
Indeed, making a mold would be much more trouble than its worth, since the building is not entirely 'perfect' for the setting.  I will have to mask the wreaths and garlands, and I will have to modify the snow to look like ash and debris.  Plus, I am not sure how I would make the resin model hollow so I can have an interior.

Also, the pre-paintedness of the exterior is also part of the charm - it should look nice with just some basic washes and highlighting.  If I were to make a new model of the building, I would have to paint the whole thing as well.

One nice thing about the porcelain is that it breaks fairly cleanly, so if a piece breaks off in the wrong place, you should be able to patch/glue it.  You can see in the interior picture that there is a crack running through the right side of the floor.  Pretty much the whole right side of the house broke off, but it will just be glued back together.  Once I glue in some floor and wall boards and such, it will be nice and sturdy.

Offline Delthos

• Members
  • Evil Polish Guy
« Reply #158 on: December 11, 2012, 05:29:25 PM »
I'm wondering if you could score it like when cutting glass, then try breaking it. Maybe that would give better results.

When breaking it you also have to be careful of those edges. The are very sharp and people could easily be cut by them. I think you'd have to take the dremel to them for that reason alone. You don't want your friends getting injured by your terrain.
Ostermark Photo Gallery
Ostermark Painting Log
"Kill 'em all and let Morr sort 'em out!" (General Ghent, Battle of Dumsky's Fallow)

Offline S.O.F

• Members
« Reply #159 on: December 11, 2012, 05:32:06 PM »
I'm wondering if you could score it like when cutting glass, then try breaking it. Maybe that would give better results.

I was thinking similar and now that there is the chunk removed perhaps testing on that before having a go at the keeper part of the buildings doors and windows.
Soldier of Fortune
Crazy DOW player
Rabid Mets Fan

Offline Timbor

• Members
« Reply #160 on: December 11, 2012, 07:23:47 PM »
Yeah, the sharp edges will be filed down before it is finished.  Though perhaps the risk of injury would make the games more lifelike?  :engel:

I had a go with my dremel on some of the detailing last night, and I also discovered a quick and useful technique.  I will post up some details when I get home from work later!

Offline Timbor

• Members
Re: Timbor's Fantasy Log (12-11 Mordheim terrain)
« Reply #161 on: December 12, 2012, 12:46:04 AM »
Alright, some more pictures!

Yesterday, I took the dremel to the porcelain.  It was slow going, and quite loud.  I used a diamond-tip bur for the dremel.  I varied between a round end and a cone-shaped bur.  The round end to gouge into the porcelain, and the cone to widen the hole.  I ruined the round bur completely by the end of it - burned off all the diamond bits so its just smooth metal now, lol.  The bur creates a lot of heat - you will quickly see the porcelain turn red where you put pressure on the bur.  I found that by getting an eye dropper and dripping water onto the site, it helped clear debris, and it kept things a bit cooler which I think helped it cut a bit faster.  It still took forever though.  I punctured through the porcelain in a few sites, then mostly scored out where I wanted to break, and it ended up pretty clean.

After gouging the wreath out of the front window, I had an epiphany.  Pliers!  Using some hefty needlenose pliers, I was able to break out the other windows that had little holes in them for the light.  Basically grip the thin bit of porcelain between two holes with the pliers, and then rock the pliers back and forth to make the little teeth grind along the porcelain.  After a few tries, the porcelain chips and breaks away (always wear safety goggles!)

After cracking open the windows, I glued the big pieces back together, added some balsa floorboards to help reinforce them, and then I did a quick wash using diluted future floor polish (hence the shine) and black/brown paint - just to bring out some of the details and darken the mood a bit.

I think its starting to look a lot better!

Now, should I try and gouge out the front door as well, and risk collateral damage?  Or do you think it looks fine and I should get to detailing the interior?

Offline S.O.F

• Members
Re: Timbor's Fantasy Log (12-11 Mordheim update!)
« Reply #162 on: December 12, 2012, 12:53:30 AM »
I think for the sake of more fun game play I'd give the door ago at trying to remove it. If you are doing the interior why not do the door frame area to have cross glued bits before to try. Might keep it together better just thought.
Soldier of Fortune
Crazy DOW player
Rabid Mets Fan

Offline Timbor

• Members
« Reply #163 on: December 12, 2012, 01:00:09 AM »
I was thinking a similar thing.  I might just give the door a try tonight.  I think since it is recessed, it might be easier to break off.  I will likely try to put in a couple holes, then chip away at it with the pliers...

Offline S.O.F

• Members
« Reply #164 on: December 12, 2012, 01:31:22 AM »
Also if it goes a little poorly and the frame is also damaged, reattaching it potentially covers up the damage. Hell if it goes even medium bad you could sub in some other sort of replacement door and have it jammed in at a weird angle and make it look like the door frame semi-collapsed.

Heavy whole building cracking your on your own though  :-P
Soldier of Fortune
Crazy DOW player
Rabid Mets Fan

Offline Timbor

• Members
« Reply #165 on: December 12, 2012, 03:24:49 AM »
I am pleased to say I managed to gouge out the front door successfully without any breakage  :biggriin:  I also glued down most of the floorboards.  I should get some pictures tomorrow, its getting late for me tonight.

Offline S.O.F

• Members
« Reply #166 on: December 12, 2012, 03:43:53 AM »
I am pleased to say I managed to gouge out the front door successfully without any breakage  :biggriin:  I also glued down most of the floorboards.  I should get some pictures tomorrow, its getting late for me tonight.

Awesome sir, also remember to throw some faux support planks on that tile roof...I think without even serious work on a second floor (which you said you aimed for but even without) some strips of broken balsa coming off the truncated ceiling would sell the building like nothing.

Look forward to the results.
Soldier of Fortune
Crazy DOW player
Rabid Mets Fan

Offline White Knight

• Members
« Reply #167 on: December 12, 2012, 08:06:49 AM »
Starting to look the part. I must confess I had some doubts about how this was going to work out (I have some of those buildings too, but the non christmassy ones and I keep them whole for use as a pulp city buildings), but it seems to work.

Only thing I would still do is work a bit on the break lines in the brickwork on the back. Bricks wouldn't break/crumble like that, so I'd use some pliers to try and make it a bit more horizontal and then build up the edge a bit with putty to simulate crumbling bricks. That will also take care of those sharp edges.

Offline Von Leerkopf

• Members
« Reply #168 on: December 12, 2012, 11:16:32 PM »
I just must comment. Youre painting is top notch.
But youre basing is just wickedly good.
Keep it up.  :smile2:

Offline Timbor

• Members
Re: Timbor's Fantasy Log (12-17 Mordheim update!)
« Reply #169 on: December 18, 2012, 04:09:58 AM »
Thanks for the comments, guys!  Using some suggestions, I made some headway:

Broken timbers have been added, a door and more windows were gouged out using both the dremel with a round diamond bur (and some water to cool and clean out debris) and pliers to chip away the broken pieces.  I have also started to add debris around the edges of the main floor.  This was done using a base of styrofoam (to act as a filler), with bits of wood and broken plaster glued on top.  I also spread some glue on the bits of smooth 'snow' on the building, and glued crushed plaster to that as well.  When painted, it should resemble dust/ash/debris nicely.

Lastly, I also completed the inside chimney and fireplace using some Hirst Arts blocks.  It looks nice, but unfortunately to follow the outline of the outside chimney, you have to block a couple windows.  Design flaw there, I guess.  At least I can say I did not make the building!  Enjoy the pictures, its starting to look a lot more Mordheim-esque.

There are a couple more pictures on my blog for those interested.  Feel free to comment of leave suggestions!

Offline S.O.F

• Members
« Reply #170 on: December 18, 2012, 06:11:15 AM »
Should be amazing good job sir
Soldier of Fortune
Crazy DOW player
Rabid Mets Fan

Offline Delthos

• Members
  • Evil Polish Guy
« Reply #171 on: December 18, 2012, 01:52:03 PM »
Nice work, I like how you've disguised the curved break on the masonry.
Ostermark Photo Gallery
Ostermark Painting Log
"Kill 'em all and let Morr sort 'em out!" (General Ghent, Battle of Dumsky's Fallow)

Offline Timbor

• Members
« Reply #172 on: December 18, 2012, 02:41:32 PM »
I was pretty happy with that as well.  It was somewhat by accident actually.  I was adding some glue to the inside of the wall there, to add rubble, then some glue got onto the bricks.  One thing lead to another, and now the break is nicely hidden!

Offline Zak

• Members
  • Mad Viking
    • Mad Viking
« Reply #173 on: December 18, 2012, 04:54:22 PM »
 ok, now i see it very impressive dude  :::cheers:::
Yes I'm dyslexic so what

Offline Darknight

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
  • Dipped in Magic, Clothed in Science
« Reply #174 on: December 18, 2012, 05:27:13 PM »
It does look very good indeed - really very nice and much better than most scenery one sees. My question would be; how long does it take to change the "ornament" to "scenery" (and how much does it cost) vs scratch-building the thing from foamboard etc.?
Completed Projects | History of Ophelia VII

Quote from: PhillyT
Everyone finds their balance between satisfaction and obsession.