home

Author Topic: Timbor's Fantasy Log (12-7 Westfalia Halflings)  (Read 70552 times)

Offline Timbor

• Members
Re: Timbor's Fantastic Fantasy Log (08-18 ogre orceaters)
« Reply #25 on: August 19, 2010, 03:02:28 PM »
Wow, that guy's ogres on warseer are way better than mine  :icon_redface:

I still need to find out how the pros get their greenstuffs so smooth for smooth surfaces.  It's one thing to have it smooth before you put it on, but once I start shaping and sculpting, it just gets bumpy...
If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason. - J.H.

Paint Log: link  Blog: My Life in Millimetres

Offline anvalous

• Members
« Reply #26 on: August 19, 2010, 03:15:06 PM »
I completely agree!  I sometimes use a wet, rounded tool and a file after it's dried.  Problem with that is getting the file in position without scratching other stuff.  I've had some success with ultra-fine sandpaper - 220 grit.  I still don't think I'm really doing it right...

Even so, I dig your orc-eaters!

Offline CM Dante

• Members
« Reply #27 on: August 19, 2010, 05:01:35 PM »
I completely agree!  I sometimes use a wet, rounded tool and a file after it's dried.  Problem with that is getting the file in position without scratching other stuff.  I've had some success with ultra-fine sandpaper - 220 grit.  I still don't think I'm really doing it right...

Even so, I dig your orc-eaters!

Posted this tutorial I created a while back but since it's relavent, here it is again, should find some tips on smoothing here - http://cmdante.blogspot.com/2009/12/warhammer-etc-figure-sculpting-tutorial.html

Basically you want to get things as smooth as possible when your initially working the GS, then go over it again after it's cured for an hour or so and is a little firmer. Finally sand/scrape away any remaining roughness with 1200 grit wet dry paper and a sharp scalpel blade.

Great kitbash conversions here Timbor!

Offline Timbor

• Members
« Reply #28 on: August 19, 2010, 05:57:53 PM »
Thanks for the link and the compliments!  A question about the clay shapers - I just leared about them.

What size do you use?  What about the hardness?  I was looking as something like this:

Size 0, soft:

http://cgi.ebay.ca/M00167-MOREZMORE-5-Color-Shapers-Clay-Tools-Size-0-Soft-/200507559994?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0
If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason. - J.H.

Offline CM Dante

• Members
« Reply #29 on: August 19, 2010, 06:20:27 PM »
The ones I use most often are a white chisel size 0 and a black bullet tip size 0

Also use a wax 5 carver - it's a metal tool.

Offline Timbor

• Members
« Reply #30 on: August 19, 2010, 06:23:58 PM »
I have a bunch of wax carving tools from my school kit.  I'm in a good position to get good quality sculpting tools  :happy:

How much of a difference is there between hard and soft points when working with greenstuff?

Offline CM Dante

• Members
« Reply #31 on: August 19, 2010, 06:30:48 PM »
Depends what point in the curing time you work it at but in general, a reasonable amount. The softer the tool, the more control I find.

Offline Timbor

• Members
« Reply #32 on: August 19, 2010, 06:36:33 PM »
Cool, I think I will give the soft ones a try!

Offline Captain Schweinkreiger

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #33 on: August 20, 2010, 02:19:55 AM »
Great stuff here Timbor, I have no idea how I have missed this until now. I really like the ogres and the Kislev converts. Keep it up!

-Cap.
The most persistent sound which reverberates through men's history is the beating of war drums.  ~Arthur Koestler

Offline Timbor

• Members
« Reply #34 on: September 20, 2010, 03:50:55 AM »
I finally got around to taking some pictures of the foundry mercenary ogre I painted up as my orc character for the TnG campaign.  I find the 'ogres' are the size of GW black orcs.  Too bad they don't fit it with the GW ogres... would make great maneaters!

I present Mukktaaw the Wanderer

Man, macro shots sure are unforgiving!  I'm happy with the final product, though.  It's nice to spend more time on a mini every once in a while.

Offline ChumpChange

• Members
Re: Timbor's Fantastic Fantasy Log (09-19 orc character)
« Reply #35 on: September 20, 2010, 09:33:20 AM »
Now thats a codpiece!!!!
The empire and ogres look fantastic BTW. I'm looking forward to seeing some more of your models painted up.
Doubt is not a pleasant condition, but certainty is absurd. --Voltaire

Offline DariusZero

• Members
  • I'm a non native speaker from Mars and I bite.
« Reply #36 on: September 20, 2010, 03:18:43 PM »
Great mini and a very good paintjob. I esp. like the gemstone on the sword hilt. Ok. I see now it's his ring.lol
One of the big wigs... once told them "If a household doesn't have an income of $70,000, we don't consider them a GW target customer."
MyEmpireBlog: http://warhammer-empire.com/theforum/index.php?topic=33477.0

Offline anvalous

• Members
« Reply #37 on: September 20, 2010, 04:19:16 PM »
Great stuff, sir!  Talk about character on this dude.  Are you going to try and build a unit around him in similar attire?

Offline Timbor

• Members
« Reply #38 on: September 20, 2010, 04:33:10 PM »
I have about 3 or 4 from this range.  I would like to get more and make a unit of them - would be a nice fill in for orc biguns or black orcs.  They are expensive though - one LGS near me sells em for $15 apiece, and then there is one back home with a whole bunch on clearance for about $8 apiece.  The blister includes some snotling-type guys too.  My main concern is that many of them carry handguns, which may make it harder to sell them as regular orcs...  I do love the character of the minis though!

I have lots on my plate with the tale of many gamers. Even if I bought up a whole unit of them, I would probably not get to paint them until next year sometime  :dry:.  Im working on trying to finish a unit of 25 pirazzo's this month, then next month I plan on painting up those ogres, plus Ruglud's if I have the time.  Finally getting some motivation to paint up the horde of DoW minis that I have accumulated over the past 2 years.

Offline Delthos

• Members
  • Evil Polish Guy
« Reply #39 on: September 20, 2010, 04:41:05 PM »
That cod piece is just wrong! Looks more like a gem encrusted wang!
Ostermark Photo Gallery
Ostermark Painting Log
"Kill 'em all and let Morr sort 'em out!" (General Ghent, Battle of Dumsky's Fallow)

Offline Heinrich von Kampfmann

• Members
  • May Sigmar guide my blade
« Reply #40 on: September 20, 2010, 05:02:02 PM »
That cod piece is just wrong! Looks more like a gem encrusted wang!

He's a manly orc, what had you expected? It's not his fault his so blessed! :engel:

Nice model and painting, although a bit disturbing  :laugh:

Offline Midaski

• Sunny Sussex, England
  • Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #41 on: September 20, 2010, 07:13:23 PM »
It's unfortunate that you are not in the UK Timbor.

I have a few of those Foundry Ogres and Orcs and I got them at Salute in the bargain bins - a lot cheaper than you are paying.

I was planning a Pirate gang for Legendsof the High Seas, or a similar rules set.
This last Salute show there was only one stand with them, when in previous years Foundry themselves were also present and also had their cheap bargain bins - at monetary amounts of 4 blisters for £20 or better.

If you ask nicely I am sure members attending UK shows could look out for them for you. The main dealer guy is called Dave Thomas and I believe he comes from the North East of England, but he does a fair amount of Trade Shows.

http://wargamesfoundry.com/fantasy_ranges/single_packs/fantasy/ogre/

Not sure if this is the full range? It may be an indication of how they sell them now, and the packs I have seen are old blisters.

Edit:

On closer inspection of the new Foundry site, theabove are OGRES and the other ones I mainly have are Mercenary (Imperial Looking ) Orcs at the on this page:-

http://wargamesfoundry.com/fantasy_ranges/single_packs/fantasy/orc/?sector_id=23&page=4

« Last Edit: September 20, 2010, 07:39:35 PM by Midaski »
Quote from: Gneisenau
Metal to Finecast - It is mostly a swap of medium. 

You mean they will be using Ouija boards instead of Tarot cards for their business plans from now on?

Offline Timbor

• Members
« Reply #42 on: September 20, 2010, 10:30:05 PM »
Yeah, all miniature collecting would be better in the UK  :happy:

At the trade shows, were the foundry blisters at 4 for 20 blisters of single figures, or blisters with more than one mini in them?  5 quid per blister is roughly equivalent to what I would pay for the clearance ones for $8 a blister with one mini and a few of the orclings.

I'm not sure how the war orcs size up to the ogres - I imagine the war orcs would be of similar size to the old style GW comedic orcs.

Offline Midaski

• Sunny Sussex, England
  • Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #43 on: September 21, 2010, 09:06:00 AM »
They're the actual blisters I linked to - current retail is £11.00 a blister on the Foundry site I think.

The ones I got were rather tatty yellow card, but the reference numbers were the same. I said 4 for £20 because I couldn't quite remember, but it may have been 5 for £20 looking at my notes on what I bought in April.

Size wise they vary. One or two of the Orcs with muskets are not overlarge, and yet some of the close combat weapon guys are quite big.

You mean they will be using Ouija boards instead of Tarot cards for their business plans from now on?

Offline DariusZero

• Members
« Reply #44 on: September 21, 2010, 10:03:42 AM »
http://wargamesfoundry.com/fantasy_ranges/collections/fantasy/ogre/mercenary_ogre_characters_collection_bcorc001/?alsopartofback=17910

FREE SHIPPING?...NOT BAD. I'm seriously starting to get tempted to get some mrecenary ogres...... :eusa_wall:
One of the big wigs... once told them "If a household doesn't have an income of $70,000, we don't consider them a GW target customer."

Offline Midaski

• Sunny Sussex, England
  • Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #45 on: September 21, 2010, 03:29:41 PM »
That still works out at £60 for 16 models so £3.75 each.
The bargain blisters mean £2 or £2.50 each.

I do think Foundry are overpriced, and £2.00 each is acceptable - nearly £4.00 is too much IMO

I see Dave Thomas is at the Worlds show at Derby University Oct 2nd & 3rd

Offline DariusZero

• Members
« Reply #46 on: September 21, 2010, 04:39:19 PM »
@Timbor: Is it possible to see foundry mercenary ogre mini compared to some empire foot trooper? I'm curious about the size... :icon_razz:

Offline Timbor

• Members
« Reply #47 on: September 21, 2010, 04:41:58 PM »
Ill see what I can do later this week.  Keep in mind that he is on a 25mm base if that helps.  His body height and proportions are similar to a GW black orc boss.

Tim

Offline peraturabo

• Members
« Reply #48 on: September 25, 2010, 10:42:54 AM »
his codpiece.... o_o
great paintjop btw

Offline Zak

• Members
  • Mad Viking
    • Mad Viking
« Reply #49 on: September 25, 2010, 02:08:38 PM »
I think you could see that orc from space!!! he looks great good job  :::cheers:::
Yes I'm dyslexic so what