home

Author Topic: Companion Thread to Tilea's Troubles  (Read 273 times)

Offline Padre

• Pure of Heart
Companion Thread to Tilea's Troubles
« on: August 31, 2020, 10:29:53 AM »
I thought I ought to have a thread to allow discussion of matters relating to my Tilea campaign, as well as a place for me to put posts about the hobby aspect of it (in many forms).

Having just completed my first 'Play by e-mail' battle, where the Skaven assault the Brabanzon in the city of Ravola, I am now in the early stages of of starting the next battle: Duchess Maria's Undead are to attack Lord Alessio's Alliance army at the bridge of Pontremola.

The tabletop

Lord Alessio has the Tilean List 'Mercenary Command' skill "Strategist" which allows him to move two terrain pieces up to 6" in any direction. This skill doesn't make sense at the Bridge of Pontremola as he can't move the river or the bridge!  Also, the battlefield already appeared in an earlier battle so its layout is set (http://forum.oldhammer.org.uk/viewtopic.php?p=38023#p38023) in which the following field of battle was fought over ...

And so I decided that Lord Alessio's skill would be represented by the player getting a say in the design of the fortified camp his army built at the bridge, which incorporated the river as a defensive feature (see a story about the camp's construction at http://warhammer-empire.com/theforum/index.php/topic,46787.msg1058253.html#msg1058253)

In terms of game play, first I sent three images to the player for camp layouts ...

Layout A

This layout features lots of earthwork and timber fortification, but not much room for maneouvre. The outer stone tower has been demolished to improve fields of fire. The whole of Alessio's side of the river is well fortified, with some room between defences and river for other troops.

The river, btw, in Spring, is in full flow, and will count as dangerous terrain even for infantry!

Layout B

This layout has a bit less fortification, some more maneouvre room. Both stone towers have been demolished, one having had a wooden bastion built over it suitable for a machine. The Bridge is well defended, the rest of the defences are further back from the river. This would allow missile  troops and engines to shoot over other troops heads BUT it would out them further back range-wise!

Layout C

Here there us more room for maneouvre, the bastions being a gun platform and for missile troops. Both stone towers are still intact, but there is more room to maneouvre around the bridge area.

I also listed the following possibilities

Possibility D - Even less defences, maybe just a big artillery bastion? Towers demolished or not.
Possibility E - Some other version described by the player with the river, bridge fixed, and towers either demolished or not.
Possibility F - March out and fight elsewhere in open ground. Some scenery. Your general gets to use his ability.

I told him to be aware that all troops could suffer if they attempt to cross the river. The river is in full spring flow. The enemy may lose a good few zombies in it.

I also stressed he should keep possibility F in mind if he doesn't want the defences and river to 'cramp his style' regarding tactics.

The player responded saying something between Layout B and C. So I came up with this, probably the final format ...

Final Layout

Not too much by the way of space-hogging defences. This layout is made to defend the bridge, giving deployment areas for troops, using river as defensive obstacle too whilst missile troops and engines can shoot over melee troops' heads!

The field of battle view shows both armies' deployment zones and the 24" field of fire from the main artillery bastion. One side of the bastion will struggle to see the other side of the field, but engines at the tip and on the bridge side get great views of the the centre and the bridge. Anything at the tip can see everything!

I also sent views of the towers with troops on to give a clear idea of the scale.

I hope Lord Alessio is happy!

Photobucket has now re-destroyed my pictures, so the first half of my collected works thread is no longer working again. To see my website version of the campaign thread, with fully functioning pictures, please go to https://bigsmallworlds.com/

Offline GamesPoet

• Global Moderator
  • Autumn has arrived! : )
Re: Companion Thread to Tilea's Troubles
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2020, 10:45:28 AM »
Quite the effort with all of that! :icon_cool: :eusa_clap:

Noticed in the first picture there is some terrain in front of the bridge that doesn't show up on the final selection.  Does that mean the defenders have cleared it all, even leveling the hills?
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"No them, only us."  U2

Offline Padre

• Pure of Heart
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2020, 10:53:55 AM »
I moved the river up because the camp was built behind it, and so I knew most of the hills would not feature. Then I was so keen on getting the pics to the player regarding camp layout, I forgot to place the two that might still be on the field.

I will either put the two outside ones on the field, or using a kind of 'artistic licence' (as they will have zero effect on the game being so far back and in the deployment zone of a non missile army) leave them out.

I'll probably stick them on though! Thanks for reminding me GP!

I might put some of the small hedges back on too, alongside the road area. Very little in the undead army would suffer terrain tests going over it though! But I reckon Lord Alessio might just have removed them to prevent someone (something) sneaking around behind them!
Photobucket has now re-destroyed my pictures, so the first half of my collected works thread is no longer working again. To see my website version of the campaign thread, with fully functioning pictures, please go to https://bigsmallworlds.com/

Offline GamesPoet

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2020, 12:20:07 PM »
True on the hedges.  Seems lot's of time and effort on building more fortifications, so would there have been time to take out whole hills?

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"No them, only us."  U2

Offline Padre

• Pure of Heart
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2020, 12:22:51 PM »
The rear line of hills aren't on the table any more as the area of battle has shifted and the river is further towards the middle. Only the two outer hills will go on the field. But considering they will make no tactical difference whatsoever, most likely, and their only contribution will be to tip up figures, I may not put them on!

Offline Von Zorn

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2020, 12:30:07 PM »
An excellent layout. This is not going to be an easy attack for the undead! Perhaps the water being able to flow through rib cages will make the river less dangerous for them!

I wonder if Duchess Maria is conscious of the fact that her predecessor's rampage was halted here in the past! Will Biagino remember he fought here as a brave mortal? Quite profound that the battle is taking place here, actually!
« Last Edit: August 31, 2020, 12:33:46 PM by Von Zorn »

Offline Padre

• Pure of Heart
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2020, 12:48:34 PM »
Interestingly, the undead cavalry have ethereal rule and so can travel over and through any terrain. That's got to help.

Offline GamesPoet

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2020, 01:04:47 PM »
The rear line of hills aren't on the table any more as the area of battle has shifted and the river is further towards the middle. Only the two outer hills will go on the field. But considering they will make no tactical difference whatsoever, most likely, and their only contribution will be to tip up figures, I may not put them on!
Such is the value of visual integrity. :icon_wink: :icon_cool:

"No them, only us."  U2

Offline Padre

• Pure of Heart
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2020, 04:33:33 PM »
Here are where the new table edges are, so you can see how the rear line of hills are no longer on the battlefield. Now I have measured carefully I can see that more of the front two hills are on the field than I thought (I thought they would be chopped in half) so I will put them on!

Also, Damo just noticed that I have flipped the towers on the bridge, so that will definitely need correcting!

Offline Padre

• Pure of Heart
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2020, 05:33:12 PM »
We have the final, full field of battle!

And the final camp, with the large square bastion moved over the ruins of the correctly placed tower!

Offline Padre

• Pure of Heart
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2020, 11:33:40 AM »
The two allied Undead armies laid out for the player's perusal. He needs to get a feel for the sizes etc before issuing deployment orders!

Offline GamesPoet

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2020, 12:08:08 PM »
Massive, the way a titanic WFB game can be! :icon_biggrin: :eusa_clap: :::cheers:::

"No them, only us."  U2

Offline Zygmund

• Pure of Heart
  • Europe, Finland
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2020, 06:11:52 PM »
Following. :)

-Z
Forget the 6'x4' game, focus on the story beyond that. Because fantasy matters.

Offline Padre

• Pure of Heart
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2020, 08:49:12 PM »
Just stopped for the night. We have deployed! Lots of discussion, and me taking lots of photos (for the story and for my players).

Here are two of my favourites so far ...

The Colossus of Portomaggiore

The zombie cultist hordes

Offline GamesPoet

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2020, 08:54:55 PM »
Presuming the Colossuss moves?  Will the undead be able to stop it?  Stay tuned!  :icon_cool: :icon_mrgreen:

"No them, only us."  U2

Offline Padre

• Pure of Heart
« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2020, 09:15:54 PM »
It does. He paid dearly for it's inclusion in his army, in terms of campaign and points costs, and it is directed by a particular wizard, It slows his army down in the march (being hauled on massive wagons!)

It uses slightly modified Tomb Kings Heirotitan rules. It once stood over the gate of his city, but he brought it on campaign with him!!!!

Offline GamesPoet

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2020, 09:18:57 PM »
It causes me to cheer for Portomaggiore ...

Huzzah!  Huzzah!  Huzzah!

"No them, only us."  U2