home

Author Topic: Perry Miniatures: War of the Roses  (Read 46194 times)

Offline Talben21

• Members
Perry Miniatures: War of the Roses
« on: July 28, 2010, 04:47:28 PM »
Ok, before I begin let me say something. I hate the Warhammer State troops for 7th edition. All of my current state troops are from 6th edition and I loved how those models looked. 7th edition state troopers just flat out suck (if you ask me).

Now I was researching and I stumbled across Perry Miniatures: War of the Roses. A lot of people recomended these models for the Empire. You get 40 archers (Who needs that many Empire bowmen, really?) and 18 Halberdiers all for about $25.

My question is has anybody painted these models? Do they work for the Empire?

The ordering page is here...    http://www.perry-miniatures.com/index2.html

You can find some pics of them here...   http://noizehive.blogspot.com/2009/03/perry-war-of-roses-plastics-range.html

Offline laribold

• Members
Re: Perry Miniatures: War of the Roses
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2010, 05:01:42 PM »
They really are lovely models but the scale is off for using them with GW stuff. Th Perry miniatures are probably best described as 'realistic' 28mm as opposed to the GW 'heroic' 28-30mm. Basically the Perry stuff just looks smaller all round. I'm sure there's a thread somewhere comparing them all. If not, I'll try and post some comparison pics.

Offline Talben21

• Members
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2010, 05:20:42 PM »
Ah yeah I was wondering that. Thanks for the warning.

Can anyone recommend any other models that work for the Empire? I am just looking for Halberdiers and Spearmen/Pikemen.

Offline Random_dude

• Members
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2010, 05:31:43 PM »
Ah yeah I was wondering that. Thanks for the warning.

Can anyone recommend any other models that work for the Empire? I am just looking for Halberdiers and Spearmen/Pikemen.

Bretonnian Men at Arms, and order some empire shields to go along with that? Mix up some of the bits with state troops bits (especially for heads and cool looking empiry bitz). Should work just fine I think!

Offline White Knight

• Members
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2010, 05:53:08 PM »
Go metal.
Foundry landsknechts sculpted by the Perry's or Artizan Designs landsknechts. They will look more like the 6th edition troopers.

Offline Talben21

• Members
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2010, 06:01:12 PM »
Thanks White Knight. Do you have links to those miniatures?

Also, what are these figs? Halberdiers? Spearmen or Swordsmen?

Offline Talben21

• Members
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2010, 06:02:29 PM »
Go metal.
Foundry landsknechts sculpted by the Perry's or Artizan Designs landsknechts. They will look more like the 6th edition troopers.

Also, well these guys be of the correct scale?

Offline Gneisenau

• Members
  • Alleged Ungulate
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2010, 06:04:45 PM »
I suggest checking 023's posts. He has lots of Foundry Landsknechts in there, painted to a very high standard.

Offline wolfsbreath

• Members
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2010, 09:11:07 PM »
i wouldnt worry too much about them being an exact match for Empire stuff, just look at the British Army in WWI they had Bantam battalions which were troops that didnt quite come up to the regulation height. I have used warlord games minis when i wanted to increase my hangunners but didnt want to pay gw prices. they are slightly smaller but when put together look fine.

Offline Talben21

• Members
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2010, 09:23:04 PM »
So I guess my only questions is if you have a Foundry (pewter metal) landsneckt how do you get it to stick on the base?

Offline Finlay

• Members
  • C'mon Son
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2010, 09:38:26 PM »
The WOTR look fine when used as their own unit, just don't mix them in the same unit as GW figures.

I used a unit today at warhammer world! what bnetter endorsement than that can you get?
I don't care about the rules.

Pass the machete.

Offline steveb

• Members
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2010, 10:54:07 PM »
you might look at the Gamezone figures, they match up real well! accident? I think not.  steveb
« Last Edit: August 03, 2010, 02:43:15 PM by steveb »

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
  • i'm a mercenary doom bringer
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2010, 12:26:59 AM »
I also agree with the recommendations for Artizan and Foundry if you want the puff-n-slash landsknecht look.

The Artizan figures are here:
http://www.artizandesigns.com/list.php?man=20&page=1

And regiment deals here:
http://www.artizandesigns.com/list.php?man=18&cat=137&page=1

Foundry are here:
http://foundryarchive.co.uk/historical_ranges/single_packs/renaissance/german/

Though if you're outside the UK, I recommend buying from somewhere like The Warstore or Caliver Books, as Foundry's currency conversion and shipping plan are... brutal.

Old Glory are a less expensive choice. OG figures are usually pretty hit-and-miss, but I think their landsknechts are some of their better figures. Don't expect them to be as good as GW or the two companies listed above, though.

http://www.oldglory25s.com/index.php?cat_id=254&catname=%27Italian%20Wars%20Landsknechts%27

Pike pic:

Gunner pic:

I can't seem to locate my pic of the Old Glory zweihanders...  :-(

Offline Cannonofdoom

• Members
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2010, 01:42:08 AM »
I ordered two boxes of the Perry plastic infantry, and will let you know how they are once they arrive later this week.
CannonofDoom spews his shit at me all the time and I haven't banned him.

Offline Talben21

• Members
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2010, 02:23:08 AM »
023 I really like the look of some of those figs but most of them are converted to Euros or English Pounds. Is that why you recomend using Warstone or Cavalier?

Offline Talben21

• Members
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2010, 02:25:42 AM »
Also, 023 how do you get those figs to stand up on a Citadel base?

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2010, 02:56:31 AM »
Also, 023 how do you get those figs to stand up on a Citadel base?

Glue. They are standing on a thin flat disk. Sometimes referred to as an "integral base", rather than the GW style "slotted base". It gets covered up by the sand & flock when you finish the base off. You can see it a little bit on the Mirliton handgunner -- the base on that one is a bit thicker. If I had done a better job, I could have sloped some putty or more sand up around it to disguise it more. Even some of the older GW figures used to be done like that. (Often referred to as "pre-slotta GW.")

023 I really like the look of some of those figs but most of them are converted to Euros or English Pounds. Is that why you recomend using Warstone or Cavalier?

Just for Foundry figures. Northstar (the distributor for the Artizan figures) will convert directly at the current rate from UK Pounds to US Dollars, Canadian Dollars, Euros, or whatever. So they give a fair deal.

Foundry, on the other hand, convert the currency based on some fantasy conversion rate that is almost always much worse for the buyer. For example, the UK to US conversion has been floating around anywhere from 1:1.40 to 1:1.60 for a while now. But Foundy charges something like 1:2. Same with Euros.

So, for example, many of their packs are priced at £11.00. If I convert £11.00 at the recent rate to US currency, that's about $16.50. But Foundry will charge me $23.00 if I buy from them. That is a HUGE difference if you're ordering a bunch of figures. For that reason, I refuse to buy from Foundry.

If I order from a UK merchant selling Foundry figures, who trades at current rates (like Caliver) I will only be charge the $16.50. So the only Foundry figures I've bought in years (since they dropped their US distributor) have been through them or off eBay.

Offline Talben21

• Members
« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2010, 03:06:52 AM »
Yeah I really like the Artizan figures. They will make for a good 40 man strong spearmen unit! Sadly, it looks like I will have to stick with GW for my Halberier unit but oh well.

Currently I have a 25 man strong Swordsman unit (cool 6th edition) that id like to bump up to 40. Any recommendations for those figs?

Offline White Knight

• Members
« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2010, 06:55:00 AM »
Yeah I really like the Artizan figures. They will make for a good 40 man strong spearmen unit! Sadly, it looks like I will have to stick with GW for my Halberier unit but oh well.

Currently I have a 25 man strong Swordsman unit (cool 6th edition) that id like to bump up to 40. Any recommendations for those figs?

You know, many companies make separate halberds. The Foundry and artizan figures being openhanded, you could arm them just as well with halberds as with spears or pikes. You could even give them swords, though the poses might be a bit stiff for that.

Also, I've got about 30 or so of the old glory pikemen for sale or trade if you want. I can supply pikes for them from Northstar if needed, though I think you're better off making your own with wire and plastic bits for that more "heroic" look.

Offline Uryens de Crux

• Members
« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2010, 08:21:43 AM »
There are some Perry WotR figures in the pics for our 5000 point picture thread on the Electors Forum >See if you can spot them...http://warhammer-empire.com/theforum/index.php?topic=34770.0

They are lovely figures, a better scale and lets face it, yer actual people come in different shapes and sizes...
We go to gain a little patch of ground that hath in it no profit but the name.
The Free Company of Solland

The Barony of Wusterburg

Offline Gneisenau

• Members
  • Alleged Ungulate
« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2010, 08:39:10 AM »
They are lovely figures, a better scale and lets face it, yer actual people come in different shapes and sizes...

Very true. It's funny; we got used to models of the same height so much that we now mark it as negative if they aren't. But it's actually way more "realistic" that way.

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2010, 02:37:29 PM »

You know, many companies make separate halberds. The Foundry and artizan figures being openhanded, you could arm them just as well with halberds as with spears or pikes. You could even give them swords, though the poses might be a bit stiff for that.

My thoughts exactly.

I think the swords would look a bit odd, without some major conversions. But haberdiers are an easy option.

Here's Foundry's:
http://foundryarchive.co.uk/weapons_and_shields/spears_and_lances/any/any/polearms_and_halberds_wp013/?sector_id=

Back in the day... when I bought a lot of my Foundry landsknechts, they used to put those halberds in each pack so you automatically had the option to either make them halberdiers or make your own pikes. That was before they started trying to squeeze every last penny out of their customers...

These may not fit exactly, but could be another option for swordsmen:

http://foundryarchive.co.uk/historical_ranges/single_packs/elizabethan/spanish/

Vendel Miniatures also has Elizabethans, but their web page seems to be in limbo at the moment. They've recently undergone a change of ownership, so I think they're still sorting things out.

It may also be worth mentioning The Assault Group. They have various lines around the period of the Italian Wars, though no landsknechts, per se.

http://www.theassaultgroup.co.uk/store/home.php?cat=1

I have not actually seen TAG or Vendel figures in person, though. So I can't really speak for their quality other than what's shown on the web pages. Also, both TAG and Foundry (and Old Glory) offer some figures that could potentially be used as Kislev figures, should anyone be so inclined.

Offline Talben21

• Members
« Reply #22 on: July 29, 2010, 02:44:24 PM »
There are some Perry WotR figures in the pics for our 5000 point picture thread on the Electors Forum >See if you can spot them...http://warhammer-empire.com/theforum/index.php?topic=34770.0

So you think the Perry figs are a better scale than Artizan and Foundry?

Offline White Knight

• Members
« Reply #23 on: July 29, 2010, 03:02:46 PM »
The Perry miniatures have different proportions (more slender), where Foundry and Artizan are maybe a bit smaller  than GW (though not that much), but with more similar proportions to GW.

Offline Talben21

• Members
« Reply #24 on: July 29, 2010, 03:05:09 PM »

Also, I've got about 30 or so of the old glory pikemen for sale or trade if you want. I can supply pikes for them from Northstar if needed, though I think you're better off making your own with wire and plastic bits for that more "heroic" look.

Yeah I would actually be interested in buying those OG figs from you. However, ive looked all over the net and I can't find any decent pics of them. I know 023 posted one on here but I can't really see it that well. Can you provide any pics?

Also, I found some really good Halberdiers! They are a bit pricey, but real good figs...

http://www.warpathgames.com/wholesale/warpath.php?m=detail&p=38604