home

Author Topic: NOVA Open Tourny Report - with pictures!  (Read 10662 times)

Offline BAWTRM

• Members
  • The Netherlands
Re: NOVA Open Tourny Report - with pictures!
« Reply #25 on: August 17, 2010, 08:57:40 PM »
Wonderful report!! Thanks for writing that. :eusa_clap: :eusa_clap: :eusa_clap:
"...granted it isn't as retarded as having a lady popping out of your head holding a cup while humping a boar with a sword through its back, but there can only be one Brettonia."

PhillyT

Offline EmpireJohnny72

• Members
« Reply #26 on: August 18, 2010, 06:30:56 AM »
This Battle Report was a great read!!  Thanks for doing it  :eusa_clap:

I am rethinking if the 10x frontage horde is the way to go... Being able to hold onto the steadfast advantage is more effective at holding an enemy unit in place for support to arrive....

If you can't join 'um beat 'um.

Offline Skyros

• Members
« Reply #27 on: August 18, 2010, 09:30:50 PM »
Excellent report Skyros, thanks for sharing.   :eusa_clap:

What are your post game thoughts on:

1) 3 mortars = 225 points; very little effect even when spammed vs. high T or high AS troops (Dwarves, Ogres)
    / great vs. low T and AS troops (O&G)

vs.

1 HRB + 1 mortar = 195 points ....... do you think the S5 HRB would have been more consistent vs. all opponents.

I ask because I have yet to make a decision myself   :?,  although I have an unhealthy fascination for the HRB.

My mortar would probably have done better against ogres and dwarves if I hadn't continually forgotten the D6 S3 hits under the hole. I like the HRB, but it's inaccuracy (and higher cost) dissuaded me from taking one. If I had the spare points I'd definitely replace a mortar with one, but I'm not sure one mortar and an HRB is better than three mortars.

2) 3 blocks of regular troops (1 Sword, 2 Halberd) @ 30 bodies per unit + a small (15 bodies) unit of GS

vs.

2 blocks of regular troops (2 Halberd) @ 40 bodies per unit + a big (30 body) unit of GS

(a)  Do you think that the bigger units, although fewer in number, would have lasted longer against all opponents
        especially 'killy' ones like Dwarves with GW or Ogres?   

(b)  would you have been able to achieve your various objectives/flexibility despite having one less unit?

Your opinion/analysis would be very useful to the tactically challenged, such as myself   :icon_biggrin:

My blocks were big enough except in two instances, really: fighting the dwarf warriors, where I broke and ran after being pounded by template weapons, and fighting the ogre tyrant's unit + gorger friend, where I was eventually wiped out. More men wouldn't have necessarily helped in the first instance, but would have helped in the second. However, I definitely needed all 3 blocks against the ogres, as he had 3 decent sized blocks of bulls/ironguts.

There are a lot of spells that punish larger units more (flames of phoenix, dwellers below) so that taking a larger unit isn't necessarily better. I've tried the 30 GS unit and they just attracted mass 'death by characteristic test' spells that would finish off 15 at a time.

That's why I also don't put my characters in my 'elite' troop blocks - it becomes too many eggs in one basket and a no brainer for my opponent to target with pit of shades or dwellers or what have you.  There was one skaven player at the tournament who counted on a suicide IF 13th spell to wipe out the opponents small elite units and general, if he was with them.

Offline Eighty

• Members
« Reply #28 on: October 11, 2010, 12:11:24 PM »
well played sir, good read and i think i can say i learnt something!
Trumpets sound around me, the wind blowing through my hair, as fellow gamers look in awe at my Army, secretly wishing they chose empire instead of their stupid rats

Offline KenshiValion

• Members
« Reply #29 on: October 12, 2010, 06:24:46 PM »
Hey, was starting to read this thread when I read this:

Winning combats is pointless if your opponent is steadfast, and detachments don’t break steadfast.

Why don't detachments break steadfast?  I don't see anything that would suggest that they don't, but I am fairly new so feel free to correct me.  If that is true I would strongly consider dropping my detachments as well.  Anyway, looking forward to reading the rest of the thread and hopefully someone will have answered my question by the time I get to the end!

Offline Delthos

• Members
  • Evil Polish Guy
« Reply #30 on: October 12, 2010, 10:17:02 PM »
Because they don't unless they have more ranks than the enemy unit. They can cancel an enemy units rank bonus for combat resolution if they have more two or more full ranks of their own, but only the bonus for combat resolution, they do not remove steadfast.
Ostermark Photo Gallery
Ostermark Painting Log
"Kill 'em all and let Morr sort 'em out!" (General Ghent, Battle of Dumsky's Fallow)

Offline KenshiValion

• Members
« Reply #31 on: October 13, 2010, 04:00:29 PM »
Thanks for pointing that out.  Huge oversight on my part and I believe my gaming group has been playing it wrong.  I assumed disruption removed Steadfast but it very clearly states in the rules that it does not.

Offline Cursain

• Members
« Reply #32 on: October 14, 2010, 09:07:03 PM »
I'm curious what kind of prizes people win at these tournaments.  Skyros do you recall what 1st and 2nd prize was for this one?

-Cursain