home

Author Topic: Terraplog (6 NOV 11)  (Read 9822 times)

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
  • i'm a mercenary doom bringer
Terraplog (6 NOV 11)
« on: February 18, 2011, 05:43:47 AM »
I thought I had started something like this ages ago, either here or at Warseer. But since my new drive is based on 8th edition, I'll go with a new terrain log. My goal is to cover as many (hopefully all) of the 8th edition terrain pieces as possible. I've started into a terrain making frenzy tonight. Even some of the ones listed as "not started" have a solid plan in my head.

I will keep a checklist here on the first page to track my progress and keep myself organized. I will use colors for tracking progress: red = not started, orange = in progress, green = completed. Additionally I will include a (#) number to show any multiple terrain items beyond one, except for things like forests which are composed of multiple trees. A few terrain pieces will be used for multiple terrain selections.

Hill, Ordinary (3)
Hill, Temple of Skulls
Hill, Scree Slope
Hill, Anvil of Vaul
Forest, Ordinary
Forest, Abyssal Wood
Forest, Blood Forest
Forest, Fungus Forest
Forest, Venom Thicket
Forest, Wildwood
River, Ordinary
River, Boiling Flood
River, Necrotic Ooze
River, Raging Torrent
River, River of Blood
River, River of Light
Marshland, Earthblood Mere
Marshland, Khemrian Quicksand
Marshland, Mist-Wreathed Swamp
Obstacle, Fence
Obstacle, Wall
Obstacle, Blazing Barricade
Obstacle, Blessed Bulwark
Obstacle, Ghost Fence
Monument,  Altar of Khain
Monument,  Arcane Ruins
Monument,  Bane Stone
Monument,  Charnal Pit
Monument,  Elven Waystone
Monument,  Idol of Gork/Mork
Monument,  Magic Circle
Monument,  Sinister Statue
Monument,  Sorcerous Portal
Monument,  Wyrding Well
Building, Ordinary (4)
Building, Ordinary (8+)
Building, Acropolis of Heroes
Building, Dwarf Brewhouse
Building, Grail Chapel
Building, Haunted Mansion
Building, Nehekharan Sphynx
Building, Sigmarite Shrine
Building, Tower of Blood
Building, Wizards Tower
Building, Ordinary Tower

Additionally I've got some "obsolete" terrain that was useful in previous editions but is no longer part of the "official" chart. They will still find their way into games. These include:

Building, Ruined (I may use theses as regular buildings)
Rough/Broken Ground
Hedges (I will use these as fences)

What I find most embarrassing is that at the start of this project, I no longer have any ordinary buildings, nor a tower.

Photos will be forthcoming.

« Last Edit: December 10, 2011, 03:33:49 PM by ZeroTwentythree »

Offline Alleton

• Members
  • I'm not unit champion, shoot someone else!
Re: Terraplog
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2011, 07:12:25 AM »
Holy smokes, I can't even find time to finish my actual army, much less start terrain...and certainly not anything as ambitious as this. Bravo on your mission, I look forward to the pics.  :Ohmy:
Demonslayer
 "hey, let's use one of those seals that keep ultimate darkness contained and use it to fry goblins, also have it be operated by the college janitor".

Warhammer Plog:
http://warhammer-empire.com/theforum/index.php?topic=42622.msg751211#msg751211

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2011, 04:56:17 PM »
OK, first some repeats of old photos of some existing terrain. These are some patches of cropland, and some tropical or swampy flora.

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2011, 05:00:20 PM »

Now some of the new stuff I'm working on. First the small items I did last night in a fit of simple inspiration. I've altered a few of these a bit from the book descriptions (which are usually vague anyway):

Magic Circle and Sorcerous Gateway (fairy ring):

Bane Stone and Elven Waystone (warpstone):

And another project I am working on, these will probably get used for the Blood Forrest and Wildwood, as both are "angry tree" terrain pieces:

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
Re: Terraplog (18 FEB 11)
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2011, 06:13:32 AM »

Tonight I did a Wyrding Well,  which is described as where the blood of the earth, an amber liquid, bubbles to the surface. So I made mine like a spring. Also did some small mushrooms for a Fungus Forrest. I'm working on some larger ones, but I can get by with these for the moment.

Working on more the Sinister Statue and Arcane Ruins, along with the "angry trees" and more 'shrooms.

Offline Immovable Object

• Members
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2011, 04:25:51 PM »
I like it all, particularly love the faces on the angry tree. Are the stones made from polystyrene?

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2011, 07:06:03 PM »

The Bane Stone and Waystone/Warpstone are all made from insulation foam.

The mushrooms are made from Crayola Model Magic air dry clay. I was using it as a filler for a mask and had some left over. I had to use it for something or it would go to waste, so thought of mushrooms.  :-D

I've talked with a terrain casting company and would like to sculpt up some evil trees and mushrooms for commercial casting, but I've got to work out some design issues. They will probably look nothing like the stuff above. Actually if I could make a couple of sets that, when put together, would supply most of the list of WFB terrain, I think that would be great. But I'm getting ahead of myself here...

My Sinister Statue is almost done, slow progress on the marshes, half way done with the Ghost Fence, bases cut for the rest of the obstacles, and finished one last small mushroom. Photos to come soon!

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2011, 11:23:42 PM »

A few more pieces of terrain...

Ghost Fence:

Sinister Statue and one more 'shroom for the Fungus Forest collection

On the worktable: two marshes, Arcane Ruins, and then more walls/fences...

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
Re: Terraplog (20 FEB 11)
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2011, 08:49:48 PM »

Two more. Arcane Ruins and something I haven't decided. The elf was from a tournament trophy I won a long time ago. It was stored in a box in the basement and got a bit smashed up. I just found it again while packing up my office/studio for a move. Thought I'd turn it into terrain. I'll probably call it a Sinister Statue... from a Skaven point of view. Or I could use it as an Elven Waystone, I suppose.

Offline Zak

• Members
  • Mad Viking
    • Mad Viking
Re: Terraplog (22 FEB 11)
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2011, 10:28:14 PM »
OH thats awesome!! :::cheers:::
Yes I'm dyslexic so what

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
Re: Terraplog (22 FEB 11)
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2011, 08:26:46 PM »
Khmerian Quicksand. Doesn't really look like a desert sand thing, but I wanted it to match my table and my armies.

Generic Marsh. Either an Earthblood Mere or a Mist-Wreathed Swamp. Not exactly realistic looking, but this is "mystic" terrain, after all, and I wanted it to stand out a bit more. Mayne I will use it as the Earthblood Mere, and do a more muddy/darker swamp for the actual swamp. I had wanted to add a bunch of reeds & other foliage, but I know how that messes up gameplay. So I left them off. I think it would look better with the foliage, though.

Offline Immovable Object

• Members
Re: Terraplog (23 FEB 11)
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2011, 09:04:22 PM »
That High Elf statue thing is  really quite a stunning piece of work. I like your Ghost Fence as well, very understated. I've bookmarked this thread as Im enjoying it alot.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2011, 09:44:36 PM by Irresistible Force »

Offline Shadowlord

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2011, 10:46:44 PM »
While I think you are a better painter than a terrain builder, this thread and your work is good indeed.

And with the pace you are keeping that list will be done before the weekend. :icon_cool:
My hood is my castle...

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2011, 08:04:14 PM »

Looking for advice. I've seen people make smokey flames using steel wool. So I tried my hand at it, but it just doesn't look right. So I' looking for any input, insight or links to examples of where this was done properly.

Thanks!

Offline Cannonofdoom

• Members
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2011, 02:30:40 PM »
While I think you are a better painter than a terrain builder, this thread and your work is good indeed.

If his painting were anything other than HIS painting, I think that might be an insult. However, I doubt his terrain work could ever surpass his amazing painting skills, so it is not an insult.  :::cheers:::

This stuff looks great. You inspire me, which means more projects. CURSE YOU!  :eusa_wall:
CannonofDoom spews his shit at me all the time and I haven't banned him.

Offline Finlay

• Members
  • C'mon Son
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2011, 04:00:00 PM »
Wjhat do you use to make your water?
And the mushrooms?
I don't care about the rules.

Pass the machete.

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2011, 06:17:20 PM »
The mushrooms were Crayola Model Magic air drying clay. I had some left over from something else. It's lightweight and doesn't hold much detail, but it worked for these.

The water is a heavy body gloss acrylic medium. In the Wyrding Well I made the bubbles by putting a few small beads in the gel before it dried.

Offline McSheehy

• Members
« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2011, 08:30:01 PM »
All these pieces are looking pretty damn cool so far.  :eusa_clap:
I wish I could sculpt better than I do because I'd love to borrow you angry tree concept.
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch.
Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!
- Benjamin Franklin

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
« Reply #18 on: October 06, 2011, 04:13:20 AM »
Whoops -- I put this in my Marienburg thread before I remembered I had a terrain plog:

Just got a start on my upcoming Imperial village. A box full of buildings from Armorcast!

Offline warhammerlord_soth

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Eurobash : Ascension weekend. Be there !
« Reply #19 on: October 06, 2011, 05:52:25 AM »
Whoops -- I put this in my Marienburg thread before I remembered I had a terrain plog:

No you didn't.  :engel:
Have one  on Midaski's tab.  :::cheers:::
Famous last words. R.I.P.

Offline Otaku

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
Re: Terraplog (06 OCT 11)
« Reply #20 on: October 06, 2011, 06:24:16 AM »
wow!  Lots of cool stuff. I really like the trophy/statue. Your way stone is pretty cool too.  I would love to see the forests you have finished. Keep it up!

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
Re: Terraplog (06 OCT 11)
« Reply #21 on: October 13, 2011, 05:22:00 AM »
wow!  Lots of cool stuff. I really like the trophy/statue. Your way stone is pretty cool too.  I would love to see the forests you have finished. Keep it up!

I got further on them, but got distracted and ran out of greenstuff. I'm starting to feel the urge to finish them, though, as well as some "normal" trees.

Progress on buildings:

I have 6 Armorcast buildings so far. 2 are painted but not yet assembled (see photos below.) 2 are prepped & primed. 2 are not started.

I also have the GW fortified manor set. I've already painted the low stone walls, but everything else is still in the box.

I also have a partially painted scratch built wizard's tower that I built over  a year ago, but lost the will to paint for a while (see early WIP photo below.)

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
Re: Terraplog (16 OCT 11)
« Reply #22 on: October 16, 2011, 02:35:52 PM »
Shots of the interior of the house & barn, plus post-assembly shots. The roofs are removable, so you can see the inside after assembly. The chimney looks more crooked in the photos than in real life. Still, I should have fit it a little better.

Also, (finally!) finished the first angry tree and started painting it. The second one was just finished at the end of the night, after the batteries in the camera died. I'm hoping to prime it tonight.

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #23 on: October 16, 2011, 02:51:00 PM »
The angry tree looks angry!

Nice shed too.
Hey, I could still beat up a woman!
If I wanted to.

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
« Reply #24 on: October 17, 2011, 02:17:39 AM »
Second tree sculpted and primed.

Started painting both -- they're both, half done.