home

Author Topic: Discworld – An apology from Photobucket - Not  (Read 82098 times)

Offline JAK

• Members
Discworld – An apology from Photobucket - Not
« on: April 05, 2011, 12:37:13 PM »
Having been encouraged to get back into painting, by soth getting the blues and the monthly painting competitions, I decided to relaunch my building of units based on the Discworld books by starting with a small one.

The Army of Lancre

The army consists of just one man, Shaun Ogg. He has other jobs in Lancre and we catch him having just finished cleaning out the cess pits and doing a little heralding for the King before going on to be a footman. To keep him company there is Big Jim Beef the border guard at the river bridge on the only road into Lancre. It looks as if he's had a bit of bother with a Billy Goat. (Hope Moriar doesn't mind what I've done to his pleasant surprise) Finally the only other person who wears armour in Lancre is the King's falconer, Hodgesaargh, although he normally only wears it to protect himself from the birds.

The only other group of fighting men in the country are

The Lancre Morris Men

They didn't get to win the Fifteen Mountains All-Comers Morris Championship six times by dancing around like a bunch of pansies waving their hankies in the air

Top row: Weaver, Tailor the Fool, Bestiality Carter the Piper, Jason Ogg the Squire and  Obidiah Carpenter the Bagman.
Bottom Row: Thatcher the Hobby, The (real) Piper and The Standing Stone, Tinker and Baker.

As you can see they are equipped to undertake the infamous Stick and Bucket dance that they used to defeat the Elves after they had escaped from the stone circle.

The Stick and Bucket dance was invented by

Ankh-Morpork Assassin's Guild's Ninja Morris Team

They have send two members of their team to give instructions to the Lancre men. It is said that the Ninja Morris Team are able to do strange and terrible things with a simple handkerchief and a bell.

Together they make up a complete unit that are treated as swordsmen
« Last Edit: June 22, 2021, 07:01:39 PM by JAK »

Offline steveb

• Members
Re: Discworld - Lancre
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2011, 02:07:12 PM »
absolutely fantastic, where did the morris men figures come from? keep on with this theme, I have always enjoyed it almost as much as reading the books.  steveb

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2011, 02:55:12 PM »
Amazing!

Was Lancre where the witches lived? It's been a while since I read any Discworld books.
Hey, I could still beat up a woman!
If I wanted to.

Offline Jonadams

• Members
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2011, 03:10:26 PM »
I love your theme!

I'm currently collecting the parts and models to make The Night Watch.  :-D

Jon

Offline Zak

• Members
  • Mad Viking
    • Mad Viking
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2011, 12:18:28 PM »
 :eusa_clap: :eusa_clap: :eusa_clap:
Yes I'm dyslexic so what

Offline DariusZero

• Members
  • I'm a non native speaker from Mars and I bite.
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2011, 01:11:37 PM »
This is something new to me, are the minis all from one source? Looks interesting and fresh :eusa_clap:
One of the big wigs... once told them "If a household doesn't have an income of $70,000, we don't consider them a GW target customer."
MyEmpireBlog: http://warhammer-empire.com/theforum/index.php?topic=33477.0

Offline JAK

• Members
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2011, 07:32:05 PM »
Thanks for all your comments, hopefully there will be more, particularly as I've just realised that pictures from my earlier attempts at a blog were stored on a Yahoo server, which they kindly forgot to tell me they had shut down.

The base figures are The Morris by Woodbine Design sold by Gripping Beast. In the main they have just been given bigger sticks and the buckets, which I made with green stuff. The Hobby only had a hobbyhorse so I retained the head and sculpted the rest of the horse. The rest are old GW, except the troll who was Moriar's Ogre pleasant surprise to me last year, including the ninja bits on the Morris torsos. 

Jonadams -  by the Night Watch do you mean John Keel and co?
I have already done the current watch.

Sir Samuel Vimes' First of Foot

There are witches in Lancre but they don't use magic in the same way as wizzards so I'm not that sure on how to use them in Warhammer.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2017, 06:35:47 PM by JAK »

Offline Gneisenau

• Members
  • Alleged Ungulate
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2011, 07:40:24 PM »
The love of detail is amazing. "Om welcomes you" indeed.

Have you done Mightily Oats?

Offline Immovable Object

• Members
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2011, 08:17:37 PM »
My new favourite thread. This (as with all your stuff) is incredibly creative.

Offline Alleton

• Members
  • I'm not unit champion, shoot someone else!
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2011, 09:31:01 PM »
I hope you are gonna make Cohen the Barbarian's group. I can't wait to see how you'd portray them.  :icon_twisted:
Demonslayer
 "hey, let's use one of those seals that keep ultimate darkness contained and use it to fry goblins, also have it be operated by the college janitor".

Warhammer Plog:
http://warhammer-empire.com/theforum/index.php?topic=42622.msg751211#msg751211

Offline Delthos

• Members
  • Evil Polish Guy
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2011, 12:10:36 AM »
I'm pretty sure he already did in last year's conversion contest.

Edit: Yeah right here is the link to them.

http://warhammer-empire.com/theforum/index.php?topic=31397.msg458135#msg458135
« Last Edit: April 08, 2011, 12:16:10 AM by Delthos »
Ostermark Photo Gallery
Ostermark Painting Log
"Kill 'em all and let Morr sort 'em out!" (General Ghent, Battle of Dumsky's Fallow)

Offline Erkenbrand

• Members
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2011, 12:31:35 AM »
Ankh-Morpork Assassin's Guild's Ninja Morris Team

They have send two members of their team to give instructions to the Lancre men. It is said that the Ninja Morris Team are able to do strange and terrible things with a simple handkerchief and a bell.

Look like the midwinter morris dancers to me  :ph34r:

Offline Zoring

• Members
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2011, 11:13:29 AM »
Unbelievably good, big fan of Discworld although i haven't read the books with the Morris dancers. What is coming up next? Death on his motorcycle? The Librarian? Rincewind as a wizard! Brilliant.

Although is that a feather on Vimes helmet? I don't think he would approve!
« Last Edit: April 09, 2011, 04:49:08 AM by Zoring »

Offline Helgrim

• Members
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2011, 05:19:04 PM »
Is potatoes misspelled deliberately?  What's your plan with this army?

Offline JAK

• Members
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2011, 05:59:10 PM »
I don't think Vimes approved of anything to do with his uniform once he started on his road of promotions, but he wears it all so not to upset Lady Sybil.

Potatoes was not misspelled deliberately, but he is a troll so what do you expect, ran out of writing space on the sack, Tory cuts to education - can't think of anymore excuses.

There is no real plan to the army. I have a list of regiments mentioned in the books plus a few others based on the Discworld stories, like my dwarf miners or Leonard of Quirm's Flapping wing Devices (DoW birdmen). I rarely play the game but like to model and paint and as I was taught never to make a model/figure as the manufacturer intended this gives me the opportunity and incentive to convert into something completely different.

I will eventually go back to making individual characters but at the moment I'm concentrating on the army. This is the sixth unit I've completed and there are a few more in the pipeline to coincide with the monthly painting competitions.

Offline Firey Baps

• Members
  • Quo Fata Vocant
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2011, 08:28:02 PM »
Absolutely love Detritus and his bow. Whatever you plan on doing I daresay it will be awesome.
The entire universe has been neatly divided into things to (a) mate with, (b) eat, (c) run away from, and (d) rocks.

Offline Gedeon Mootinberg

• Members
« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2011, 04:56:23 PM »
Wow! Those ones are nice!

I especially like your first army because I'm actually reading Lords and Ladies(I don't know for how many times...;)

And I had a project like it ; Four armies : Elves, Lancastrians(and, of course, with Nanny Ogg who's following behind) and Wizards(Ook?), Dwarves and Trolls. Why these two last ones? Because it's mentioned that elves did to dwarves and trolls what they did to humans thousands years before. But the non-humans have a little thing that mens does'nt; better memory.
This version could be like if someone(Shaun Ogg?) came to the kingdoms of Dwarves and Trolls for claiming that Elves are back in Lancre.

I will think to that after I'll finish my halfling army.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2011, 05:02:44 PM by Gedeon Mootinberg »

Offline JAK

• Members
« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2011, 09:26:42 AM »
Having recovered from the Midwinter Blues with the help of warhammer-soth and others I had great hopes for this blog. But things were not to be. I haven’t stopped completely and so far have managed to enter each of the monthly painting competitions – it’s just been unfortunate that each of the single figures entered has been part of a unit which while they have been built has not yet been painted.

The two following figures are added because they stand alone. One is a warrior priest and the other because it is a concept and at present I don’t intend to progress to the modern era of Monstrous Regiments.

Hughnon Ridcully, Chief Priest of Blind Io

Nothing much to add – a priest with a large hammer and the many icons of his deity.

Private/Corporal/Captain/Major Rita Blunte of the 95th Royal Sto Plains Light Infantry,

more commonly known by their nickname “The Riflers”.

A member of the infamous Riflers can be easily recognised by the tooth extractor and boot shoehorn that hang by their large and normally overfull swag bags. She is armed with the highly sophisticated Butcher Xbow, which can be used as a spear in close combat by the fitting of a short sword, however this isn't done often by the troops as the weight of the sword makes it difficult to load, upsets the balance when shooting and there is usually little time to fix it on before combat is engaged (or, because they are 'The Riflers,' to run and hide, hence the green uniform, while others do the killing and then they can then sneak back afterwards and pick up the spoils.)
« Last Edit: October 07, 2017, 06:36:16 PM by JAK »

Offline Fandir Nightshade

• Members
« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2011, 09:42:55 AM »
 :eusa_clap:

pure awesomesauce...do the witches....do them.

Offline JAK

• Members
« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2011, 01:25:42 PM »
Witches – we’ll have to see next year -

I’ve struggled to complete entries for the monthly painting events so far and I’ve five figures/groups lined up for the remaining ones which I hope I’ll actually finish.  Then I’ve 3 units to paint to go with those figures already entered and there’ll be 3 more for the ones yet to be done. If one figure a month is nigh impossible what chance 5 or 10.

- if you can’t wait you can always follow the link below.

Offline Zoring

• Members
« Reply #20 on: July 30, 2011, 03:58:10 AM »
Awesome, Awesome to the max. Are there going to be some chaps/ettes based on the Monstorous Regiment in the future?

Offline JAK

• Members
Re: Discworld - Lord Venturi's Heavy Infantry
« Reply #21 on: September 02, 2011, 09:28:49 AM »
At last I’ve actually been able to finish a unit.

Lord Venturi's Heavy Infantry

The skirmish party as led by Vimes’s butler Willikins, has been slightly updated based on loose interpretations of narrative and conflicting comments in the book and online.

The front rank:- Private Webb k/a Spider, Sergeant Willikins, Standard - Private ‘C’, Drummer – Vimes’s kitchen boy, Private Vincent Bourke.

The rear rank:- Private Hobbley k/a Ginger,  Private ‘D’, Private Smith, Private ‘B’, Private ‘A’ k/a Smudger.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2017, 06:36:46 PM by JAK »

Offline Zak

• Members
  • Mad Viking
    • Mad Viking
« Reply #22 on: September 02, 2011, 01:21:49 PM »
hahah love it!  :::cheers:::
Yes I'm dyslexic so what

Offline Zoring

• Members
« Reply #23 on: September 02, 2011, 06:02:43 PM »
Fantastic stuff once again! This is a great interpretation of the Discworld er world.

Offline JAK

• Members
Re: Discworld - Lord Rust
« Reply #24 on: December 23, 2011, 04:35:47 PM »
My BSB, Lord Ronald ‘Ronnie’ Rust.

One of his ancestors may have been made a baron due to being a fearsome warrior, but Ronnie is somewhat lacking in this, and most other, abilities. While he believes his importance has been recognised as he carries the Ankh-Morpork Standard, the army knows it’s only to give the enemy something to fire at, saving more useful lives, as do the armorial animals who are trying to escape or hide. Never mind there's always the chance that he could emulate his ancestor and do something courageous .

« Last Edit: October 07, 2017, 06:37:02 PM by JAK »