home

Author Topic: Gamer thread  (Read 789972 times)

Offline Brad

• Members
Re: Gamer thread
« Reply #11550 on: September 20, 2020, 08:24:41 PM »
Anyone tried Iron Harvest?  I like the aesthetic of it, but RTS games really aren't my thing.

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #11551 on: September 20, 2020, 08:44:34 PM »
Anyone tried Iron Harvest?  I like the aesthetic of it, but RTS games really aren't my thing.

My son just picked it up.  Like it. Told me to check out the trailer

Just checked out the trailer. Ww1 era with dreadnoughts and other cool things
« Last Edit: September 20, 2020, 08:50:54 PM by Artobans Ghost »
Mathi Alfblut Feb 4,2017 Simple, You gut the bastard with your sword, the viking way.
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020
Yes, even W:AoS.

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #11552 on: September 21, 2020, 10:51:01 AM »
So super mario 3d all stars came out.
Spent 5 hours smashing out 60 odd stars in Mario64.

Probably going to leave it alone for a while now though.
Quote from: Gneisenau
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.

Offline Jmash

• Members
  • Lancashire, UK
« Reply #11553 on: September 21, 2020, 11:28:02 AM »
My thoughts have been swinging back to 40k and my horde of unbuilt Astartes lately, so this weekend I actually put Warhammer 40,000 Space Marine back on the PS3!

It's a good laugh smashing your way through thousands of Orks with a thunder hammer and actually quite satisfying to gun down a few with Titus' trusty Kraken Bolter!  :biggriin:

Quite nostalgic and tbh, even though the story is very one dimensional I really quite enjoyed blasting through it and makes me think they really should have continued with these sorts of games. A lot of GW video games in recent times seem to have gone down the strategic squad-based route like Kill Team and Dawn of War but there's something far more engrossing (to me at least) about embodying a single character in a 3rd person RPG.

So many opportunities especially if the chosen protagonists are space marines, I'd love a chance to don the Terminator armour and lightning claws and slash my way through a Space Hulk horror!

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #11554 on: September 22, 2020, 06:48:55 AM »
I know right. I feel like the IP is ripe for a bunch of good genre games.
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.

Offline S.O.F

• Members
« Reply #11555 on: September 22, 2020, 10:27:33 AM »
So Necromunda Underhive wars is okay, pretty fun if you like the setting and the Mordheim game play style. Maps with tons of verticality are very cool but the change from story missions along the way to just a giant 15 match tutorial story not so good. AI needs some work and some serious navimesh issues. If folks are interested wait until the Christmas Steam sale but it is enjoyable.

Further Microsoft bought Zenimax/Bethesda, with Obsidian in house as well it is nice to have those brief dreams of a New Vegas 2.
Soldier of Fortune
Crazy DOW player
Rabid Mets Fan

Offline Jmash

• Members
  • Lancashire, UK
« Reply #11556 on: September 23, 2020, 12:47:56 PM »
I know right. I feel like the IP is ripe for a bunch of good genre games.

Two dreams of mine would be to have;

1. Open world RPG set in WFB world, gameplay somewhere between Witcher, Elder Scrolls and the batman games for combat.
2. 3rd person shooter as an Imperial Guardsman, gameplay like the Ghost Recon games.

But then I guess I could muse on everything I'd love to play for hours on end.

Anyhu yes I saw the news about Microsoft buying up Zenimax & Bethesda sooo I can wave goodbye to any hopes of getting ES and Fallout on my Playstation in the future?

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #11557 on: September 23, 2020, 06:06:45 PM »
Its not quite what you folks are talking about, but have you seen the trailer for DarkTide?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zp44GNRzvCc

It sounds like its going to be more like left 4 dead but as guardsmen, and its from the same team that made vermintide.

Offline Jmash

• Members
  • Lancashire, UK
« Reply #11558 on: September 29, 2020, 04:29:35 PM »
Yeah the teaser looks enticing - high hopes for it going down the FPS route and not being another strategy sort of Kill Team thing. Have they announced any sort of time frame for release on this?

I've actually been bitten again by the Imperial Guard bug recently and dug out all my old guard... considering a drastic stripping and re-painting of my faithful cannon fodder...

Offline S.O.F

• Members
« Reply #11559 on: September 30, 2020, 12:32:16 PM »
It sounds like its going to be more like left 4 dead but as guardsmen, and its from the same team that made vermintide.

My take away exactly, Genestealers would have been more interesting though then what seems more like Chaos Mutants/zombies

Other notes Baldur's Gate 3 comes out in early access next week. Shame my experience with using the co-op functions with my friends has been less than stellar with previous Lirian titles. I seem to know too many folks that are on the stat end of the spectrum and get most the their enjoyment out of games on a mechanical level rather than narrative.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2020, 12:35:43 PM by S.O.F »
Soldier of Fortune
Crazy DOW player
Rabid Mets Fan

Offline Brad

• Members
« Reply #11560 on: October 18, 2020, 12:44:26 AM »
Anyone played the new Star Wars game?  It looks mildly interesting but I think I'll wait for a sale.  Reviews seem very positive but I'm sure a lot of that is SW brand - if it was just a generic space shooty game I'm wondering if it would still get the same praise.  Because let's be honest, Star Wars sells on name as much as anything.  SWBF2 was hot buttered garbage but it still sold huge numbers based on the SW IP.

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #11561 on: October 18, 2020, 01:21:02 AM »
The few people I know who have it all quite like it, but they're very into flight sims and games just like it.

Offline WolfyGriess

• Members
  • Grandmaster of the Sanguine Temple
« Reply #11562 on: October 18, 2020, 01:50:05 AM »
Other notes Baldur's Gate 3 comes out in early access next week. Shame my experience with using the co-op functions with my friends has been less than stellar with previous Lirian titles. I seem to know too many folks that are on the stat end of the spectrum and get most the their enjoyment out of games on a mechanical level rather than narrative.

Regarding BG3, I've been playing it on my YouTube channel (Zelgrax) and it's great. When i play D&D normally I do enjoy the stats and minmaxing, I also like to minmax the rp - I want characters with character, you know?

First playthrough is a Drow Warlock and I have a future run planned with Siberius as an evil Cleric. My warlock is a Seldarine Drow, meaning he is very much not the old stereotypical evil drow, instead he wants to resolve the issues with the Lolth-sworn drow and in general is a good guy wanting good things to happen to good people.

Anyone else been playing? I tried to be disciplined and not watch other people's games so I didn't spoil anything for myself. So far, unspoiled!
I... I... I don't know what to say.  I think I like you very much.

Offline StealthKnightSteg

• Members
  • Squishing Squickhoppers since 1999
    • https://www.facebook.com/vincent.goede
« Reply #11563 on: October 18, 2020, 01:45:11 PM »

Regarding BG3, I've been playing it on my YouTube channel (Zelgrax) and it's great. When i play D&D normally I do enjoy the stats and minmaxing, I also like to minmax the rp - I want characters with character, you know?

First playthrough is a Drow Warlock and I have a future run planned with Siberius as an evil Cleric. My warlock is a Seldarine Drow, meaning he is very much not the old stereotypical evil drow, instead he wants to resolve the issues with the Lolth-sworn drow and in general is a good guy wanting good things to happen to good people.

Anyone else been playing? I tried to be disciplined and not watch other people's games so I didn't spoil anything for myself. So far, unspoiled!

Would love to play but I haven't got a system that would run it (yet), but seen a few yt's on the first stages, don't want to see too much just to get a grasp of the gameplay
Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.

"Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." -- Kristian Wilson, Nintendo, Inc, 1989

Offline WolfyGriess

• Members
  • Grandmaster of the Sanguine Temple
« Reply #11564 on: October 18, 2020, 02:01:24 PM »
I understand that. I only watched the first 20-25 minutes, although I watched that from three different YouTubers because while I had some self-control I didn't have enough  :-D
I... I... I don't know what to say.  I think I like you very much.

Offline Rowsdower

• Members
  • Is there beer on the sun?
    • Jesse Cowled
« Reply #11565 on: October 21, 2020, 01:00:18 PM »
The only game that works on my new P.C at the moment is my old copy of Dark Crusade.
I find it hard to play as i'm too busy laughing at the characters comments
"You want that worthless trinket?!"
"Dair fings ta shuut ova dair?"
"'Fall back' mean run da uva way!"

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #11566 on: October 23, 2020, 12:31:33 AM »
Anyone played the new Star Wars game?  It looks mildly interesting but I think I'll wait for a sale.  Reviews seem very positive but I'm sure a lot of that is SW brand - if it was just a generic space shooty game I'm wondering if it would still get the same praise.  Because let's be honest, Star Wars sells on name as much as anything.  SWBF2 was hot buttered garbage but it still sold huge numbers based on the SW IP.

I haven't. It looks awesome.
I am not good at flight sims, but I HOPE it gets popular. Problem was, we needed this 20 years ago. Even 10 years ago.
I have no idea why there was such a big gap between Star Wars Flight Sim games.
Rogue Squadron on N64 and Gamecube - all anyone wanted was multi player for it. We have since have 3 console generations since, and nothing.
Lylat Wars on N64 proved it could be done.

Anyway, hope its a success. Just shame there are already games in that genre now that dominate, such as EVE Online and Elite Dangerous.

Offline Brad

• Members
« Reply #11567 on: November 13, 2020, 08:02:00 PM »
Craftworld Eldar now available for Gladius Relics of War.

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #11568 on: November 27, 2020, 02:20:38 AM »
Anyone playing War Machines? I have the iPhone app. Fun but expensive
Mathi Alfblut Feb 4,2017 Simple, You gut the bastard with your sword, the viking way.
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020

Offline StealthKnightSteg

• Members
  • Squishing Squickhoppers since 1999
    • https://www.facebook.com/vincent.goede
« Reply #11569 on: November 28, 2020, 01:54:59 PM »
Playing some BB2 via steam, pretty fun and after doing the solo campaign I'm now in Cabal Vision 36-5 league/competition. having a run of 5-2-3 now with Lizardmen.

Add me on Steam to maybe play a game together one day? StealthKnightSteg
Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.

"Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." -- Kristian Wilson, Nintendo, Inc, 1989

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #11570 on: November 28, 2020, 02:15:17 PM »
Playing some BB2 via steam, pretty fun and after doing the solo campaign I'm now in Cabal Vision 36-5 league/competition. having a run of 5-2-3 now with Lizardmen.

Add me on Steam to maybe play a game together one day? StealthKnightSteg

How I miss steam. My pc gaming days are over unless I find myself single again lol. To have a partner that understands gaming ...,.🙏
I just have the phone apps now. Such a drag 😺
My son just spent close to 5k on a gaming monster. To bad he lives 30km away
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #11571 on: November 28, 2020, 04:29:11 PM »
Wowzer 5k on a computer, now thats the dream. I'm always stuck on a laptop thats either to old, or just not that great. Currently having a delightful time trying to play Halo when it gets all janky every 5 minutes.

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #11572 on: November 28, 2020, 04:46:59 PM »
Wowzer 5k on a computer, now thats the dream. I'm always stuck on a laptop thats either to old, or just not that great. Currently having a delightful time trying to play Halo when it gets all janky every 5 minutes.

It does sound extravagant for sure. He works for Galpower and is on call every other week. 70 hour weeks
aren’t  uncommon with properly paid overtime, benefits and all the stuff I dream of. Gaming is his main outlet so it seems a worthwhile expense I guess but I would have loved a pc like that. 😺
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #11573 on: December 05, 2020, 11:18:10 PM »
"Hitler can't get a playstation 5" ... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mBFjDWRUl3k  :icon_eek: :icon_lol:
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #11574 on: December 07, 2020, 01:51:12 AM »
@Artoban, that makes sense. If you only have so many ways of blowing off steam it makes sense you'd invest pretty good in it. After all, were much the same. waves hand vaguely at the hordes of plastic troops..

I've been playing a ton of Halo with my buddies, slowly working through the master chief collection. But I find its strangely, badly buggy in places. Its not just me either, pretty much all of us have tons of problems.