home

Author Topic: Gamer thread  (Read 805867 times)

Offline valmir

• Members
Re: Gamer thread
« Reply #8775 on: April 24, 2015, 03:44:33 PM »

Get Bloodborne!

Goes without saying! It's why I'll get a ps4 in the first place! ;)
Quote from: rufus sparkfire
I'm pretty sure the dwarfs are carved from refined suck. I'd rather build an army out of lego.

Offline phillyt

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
  • Watching... always watching...
    • https://www.facebook.com/philip.estabrook.1
« Reply #8776 on: April 24, 2015, 06:32:55 PM »
I am liking Dark Souls 2, but its quite a change from Bloodborne!  Truly meaningful armor options and such a nice variety of weapons!
Where did she touch you Eight? Show us on the doll.

Offline Sig

• Members
« Reply #8777 on: April 24, 2015, 06:59:17 PM »
It's a good game. I just found the bosses crap and the art terrible. The weapons and spells are way better than DS1.

Once you beat the second boss of the Forest, you have the option to go to a new area. If you find the game easy, go there as soon as you can :P

Offline phillyt

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #8778 on: April 24, 2015, 07:11:46 PM »
I don't think it is easy anymore.  It felt easy after playing Bloodborne simply because being able to block was so much easier than dodging, but the slower rolling speed and less forgiving animations make things tough!  You can ignore so many attacks while in the dodge animation in Bloodborne that it took me a while to get out of the habit of thinking it would work in DS2!

But it is odd that the game is so ugly.  I really feel like DS1 looked better even though I know it wasn't!  Bloodborne looks much better and even it isn't a great example of what the PS4 is capable of.  Second Son for example looks far better than almost any other game on PS4.  It is a terrific example of how good an exclusive can look when you are only writing for one system!

Offline Sig

• Members
« Reply #8779 on: April 24, 2015, 07:19:53 PM »
Heh, all I meant was the Forest is super easy but there's a shortcut to a much harder area after it. What you're "meant" to do after is backtrack and go to the Tower of Heide. After that is a pirate area.

The game did look worse than DS1 when it was released on PS3. It looked terrible. It's just a damn ugly game.

Offline phillyt

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #8780 on: April 24, 2015, 07:24:15 PM »
The pirate area is pretty annoying.  Is the shortcut the nest after the second boss?

Offline Sig

• Members
« Reply #8781 on: April 24, 2015, 07:28:43 PM »
Yeah. I take it you dropped down and got the drangleic set? Good shield. Armour looks vaguely Roman.

Did you beat the Cathedral boss in Heide? He might be a bit familiar! And I loved the pirate area. One of the few zones that doesn't have far too many bonfires. There's one, and that's it. Gotta open a shortcut if you want to get to the boss quickly.

Offline phillyt

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #8782 on: April 24, 2015, 08:46:14 PM »
The drop down after killing the second boss?  No, not yet.  I had 19000 souls and wanted to cash them in before dropping down to my potential death!

Offline Brad

• Members
« Reply #8783 on: April 25, 2015, 12:25:18 AM »
Just beat Celestial Emissary.  I almost got him first try - one more hit would've done it, but I ran out of stamina at just the wrong time and he splattered me with celestial spooge.  I'm beginning to think Blades of Mercy aren't as awesome-sauce as they first appear.  All the aliens appear to be resistant to slash, and BoM only do thrust damage on fancy roll/backstep/etc attacks (same ones that proc the arcane damage, it appears).  So I used some of the billions of shards and twin shards and a few of my oh so precious chunks to get my rapier-gun thing up to +7.  Unlike BoM, the rapier can be buffed, so a dose of bolt paper and stabbing him in his celestial goolies dropped him super-quick.  I have a suspicion the BoM is more of a PvP weapon.

The rapier-gun R1 alternates between thrust and slash damage - you can tell just by looking at the moveset - and when using it on aliens the first attack (a poke) does lots of damage, the second (a swing) does only a little.

Offline Baron von Klatz

• Members
  • warhammer> All other works of mankind
« Reply #8784 on: April 25, 2015, 04:48:30 AM »
Salutations friends! In honor of PhillyT's, Sig's and Brad's Bloodborne gaming I thought I would sketch a tribute to them and their blood-drenched ventures. (I apologise for any liberties taken regarding characters/clothing/weapons/monsters, I do not own the game so I had to make due with designs garnered from screenshots. A big thank you to Sig for explaining his character and PhillyT and Brad for uploading theirs on youtube) I hope you guys like it. :-)

Sig, the docter of Yharnam. One of the few individuals thankful for the horrors unleashed upon the land, with the innumerable bodies and blood available to him his experiments have never before been so bountiful. He takes to the hunt on the prowl for the perfect specimen for his studies. Even the horrors hidden from the minds of mortals fear the ever seeking scalpel of the docter.

Brad, the highwayman. A feared bandit and scourge of the authorities of the city. He used guile and flair to rob any carriages and wagons that entered or left Yharnam, the hordes of sick that assailed the city in search for the miracle cure were merely more currency to the elusive rogue. When plague swept the city and man became beast, many sought escape from the nightmare. Not the highwayman. He saw opportunity where others saw terror, the homes, crypts and ruins of Yharnum were ripe for the picking. The shadows of death paled in the face of his boundless greed.

PhillyT,  The executioner. When the order of executioners had fallen to death and madness many believed none remained to carry forth the order, they were wrong. In the bowels of the castle of the vilebloods, covered in slain corpses of those who prey upon the innocent, a man emerged covered in tainted blood. He made his way out of the castle like a force of nature, no nightmare or beast stood for long before his flashing blade and thunderous cannon. Many beasts were blasted to pieces and ruins were sundered into rubble by his fury. Though none can say of his mind's condition, none can question his strength. He has declared war upon the endless horrors of the land, any with a shred of sanity left are drafted into his order, those who deny find themselves nought but a bloody smudge upon the walls. The executioner has bested death, now seeks to pass sentence upon it.

The hunters have joined forces in order to prevail against the nightmares that strike at them at every corner. These men are known as the Blood brothers, their grisly work seems to be endless as they try to find the source of evil in the lands. They can barely remember the color of grass and stone, only red and crimson can be recalled by their blood-covered minds. Their ongoing hunt takes them to a courtyard of sinister shadows. They find themselves beset by beasts of fur and fang.

As the battle commences the executioner is ambushed by a beast and shambling wight. He cleaves the moving corpse clean in half, it's upper torso moving despite it's dismemberment. A quick slice to the head finishes it, however the beast is upon him. He dodges it's vicious strikes and lashes out at the fiend. His blade cuts through it's arm but the beast is not quelled and comes at him once more. He strikes it's second arm but his blade becomes embedded in the bone. The docter and highwayman try to come to his aid but are attacked in turn. The docter contests with a beast while a lethal shadow of Yharnum sets it's sight on the highwayman.

The executioner wastes no time with trying to free his blade, he grabs the beast by the throat to hold back it's gnashing jaws. He readies his cannon to blast the cur's head off. A shadow falls upon him. A massive troll makes it's way towards him, it's footsteps shake the cobblestones and it's maul drips with past gore and hair from crushed skulls. Seeing his companion in trouble the docter finishes his battle with the beast by removing it head from it's shoulders in one quick slice. The highwayman had finally gained the advantage against the shadow and struck his blades through it's back.

The troll readied to smash the executioner to a pulp, the executioner, struggling with the beast in one hand and unable to properly aim his cumbersome cannon, could only brace himself for the onslaught.  A boom sounded. The troll yelled in agony as blood and bone flew from the back of it's cranium. The docter had gotten his shot off before the brute could land his blow. With the troll reeling from the blow the executioner aimed his cannon accordingly, the following blast obliterated the beast's head and left a gaping chasm where the trolls upper torso used to be.

As the dust of battle settled the Blood brothers heard the approach of more fiends. They were quick to loot any valuables from the corpses before making a retreat, but upon the troll they found a chattering skull. It was part charred from the cannon blast but remained intact, a single eye spun around in the socket. The eye looked upon the hunters and the thing croak out the words "The Baron is watching".

Sorry for dragging that story on for so long. :blush:  Keep up the great job at beating those games guys and make sure to tell us what happens. :::cheers:::
"No battle is ever meaningless for all life is merely death post-poned"
-elector count of the Empire.

Offline Sig

• Members
« Reply #8785 on: April 25, 2015, 05:54:39 AM »
The drop down after killing the second boss?  No, not yet.  I had 19000 souls and wanted to cash them in before dropping down to my potential death!

Yeah, you want to do the drop down. It's just to a ledge above an area you've already been anyway, and the set is awesome for your build. It's the heaviest armour you can get for quite a while, and a 100% physical shield. The sword is pretty good but it's a Twinkling Titanite weapon and needs high dex/str (mostly dex) to use properly so not good for you.

Brad, if I was doing Arcane I'd probably be running a Ludwig's Holy Blade with a fire gem. Or have you seen the exploit with the rifle spear and flat + arcane gems? Each bullet hitting for 1700? Lol.

Offline Sig

• Members
« Reply #8786 on: April 25, 2015, 05:56:28 AM »
Love it Baron. Just amazing  :::cheers:::

Someone buy this man a PS4!

Offline Brad

• Members
« Reply #8787 on: April 25, 2015, 06:27:30 AM »
@Baron  :::cheers:::

@PhillyT I second the recommendation to get Drangleic armour and shield.  You only need enough equip load to keep under 70% to be able to fast roll.  Increase ADP to get more I-frames in the roll.  But if you go full tank, don't even bother rolling.  Any 100% physical block shield with high stability will serve you well.  Drangleic shield is the best medium shield you can get until near the end of the game.

@Sig 1700 damage  ::heretic:: wtf I need to look that up right now.

Offline Sig

• Members
« Reply #8788 on: April 25, 2015, 07:24:02 AM »

Offline phillyt

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #8789 on: April 25, 2015, 01:30:43 PM »
Baron, those are fantastic!  You need to have the opportunity to play this game!

I muffed up a little.  After killing the Flexible Guardian guy, I meant to increase my carrying capacity so I can use the Ultra Great Sword.  I ended up doing the one that increases my endurance!  And I put a few points into dexterity, which is probably not a great idea given my desire to tank and use ultra heavy weapons.  But There are a few really nice weapons that require a 15 dex or so.

Offline Sig

• Members
« Reply #8790 on: April 25, 2015, 03:06:44 PM »
You can easily re-spec in DS2. Take a Soul Vessel to the hags at the starting area and they will do it. You get about 6 per playthrough but you can farm them late game if you can be bothered.

Offline phillyt

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #8791 on: April 25, 2015, 03:26:35 PM »
Ahhhh, thank you!

So what is the purpose of the souls you get from bosses?  Should I just be converting them to experience or is there something else I can do with them as suggested in the flavor text.

Offline Feanor Fire Heart

• His Royal Highness
  • Members
« Reply #8792 on: April 25, 2015, 03:48:28 PM »
Warhammer Total War announcement trailer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qjzLuddjIUI
Something we as painters and hobbyists should always remember:
“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
― Jake the Dog

Offline Baron von Klatz

• Members
  • warhammer> All other works of mankind
« Reply #8793 on: April 25, 2015, 04:00:24 PM »
Glad you guys approved of my sketches, I had a lot of fun making them. :happy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KRdbO7Nb9yA

That's only a +6 weapon too.

That's just beautiful.

Concerning Feanor, we already had someone post the trailer on this thread, thanks for trying to give us a heads up though. :-)

I'll probably never get to play Bloodborne (money issues right now) but I can always look forward to warhammer total war.
"No battle is ever meaningless for all life is merely death post-poned"
-elector count of the Empire.

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #8794 on: April 25, 2015, 04:31:18 PM »
In fairness I think we actually have a thread about it in just about every section. People are excited.

Offline Sig

• Members
« Reply #8795 on: April 25, 2015, 04:46:30 PM »
Ahhhh, thank you!

So what is the purpose of the souls you get from bosses?  Should I just be converting them to experience or is there something else I can do with them as suggested in the flavor text.

Nooooo. Loads of the best weapons and spells are made from those. There are two main NPCs that do the trades, one early and one late. You should save them.

Offline phillyt

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #8796 on: April 25, 2015, 10:07:42 PM »
So I killed the Three Guardians at the Bastille.  That was a bit difficult!  I also managed to kill the two bosses in the forest, the Dragon Rider at the Tower, and the weird guy in the bowels of the pirate ship. 

Enjoying the game so far!  I'm level 80 or so.

Offline Sig

• Members
« Reply #8797 on: April 25, 2015, 10:18:13 PM »
There is another boss at both Bastille and Tower :)

Glad you're enjoying it. The Bastille is my favourite zone in the game. Really grim and nasty.

Offline phillyt

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #8798 on: April 25, 2015, 10:28:43 PM »
Yeah, I like the Bastille!

I can't get past the dragon at the Tower.  He is making my life very difficult.  Apparently, he is new to the PS4 version.

Offline Sig

• Members
« Reply #8799 on: April 25, 2015, 10:30:09 PM »
A dragon in the Tower of Heide? That is new.