home

Author Topic: Rebellion....or a new beginning?  (Read 28048 times)

Offline VonOttenheim

• Members
  • Commander Black Griffon
Rebellion....or a new beginning?
« on: June 21, 2011, 09:39:28 AM »
A cold wind blew down from the vast plains of Kislev, it’s howling icy gusts hitting the small village called Brumberg. So named because of the large number of black bears that wandered the nearby woods and sometimes even the village streets. The village sat just on the border between Kislev and Ostland, but also on the sharp divider between plains and forest.

The people in Brumberg had always cursed the founders of the village, wondering why in the name of Taal they couldn’t have built it a bit further into the woods so that they wouldn’t be exposed to the constant chilling northern winds that came down from the great plains.

Hans pulled his wet soggy wool overcoat tighter as he prepared to cross the muddy main street. The rain was drizzling down from the rooftops. It had been raining for the better part of two weeks now and it showed no signs of letting up. The winter had been long and hard with Chaos filfth raiding outlying farms. The crops planted only weeks before was now being washed away in the relentless downpour. Famine would be a guest at many tables this year. “Taal help us all” whispered Hans as he looked up at the overcast skies and started across the street heading for the inn.

Nothing much ever happened in Brumberg these days. It had once been bustling with activity when armies from the south, mercenary or otherwise, came through on their way to win glory fighting the great enemy in the north. But then someone, “a bloody elven scout no doubt” villagers used to say, had found a quicker way to Erengrad. Soon enough there was a new road going north, miles from Brumberg, leaving the small village to wither away.

But the last few days there had been excitement. Two travellers had come into town. People said they were lords by the look of them. Some who had seen them at the inn even said they were Southern lords by the way they dressed. Hans, thinking it unlikely that anyone in the village could tell a northern lord form a southern one, had to see it for himself though before he would believe it. That’s why he had left his cozy fire and braved out into the storm.
Why would two noble gentlemen come to Brumberg?
And even more curious…..why would they stay???

« Last Edit: June 21, 2011, 04:19:32 PM by VonOttenheim »
Ulrich von Ottenheim

Commander Black Griffon
Komtur Templar Knights of Taal
"...I want milk in my Khorne flakes..."

Offline VonOttenheim

• Members
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2011, 03:30:26 PM »
Little Jozef Heintzl was only 10 years old, but he would never forget what he saw that day.

Jozef lived with his parents in the small town of Borkum on the southern shore of the Upper Talabec river. Their house was the one closest to the ford over the river. His Mutti had sent him out to play with his new toy. A wooden horse his father had just finished carving the night before. It was a cold spring day. Skies were grey and a light drizzle fell from the sky.
Dark storm clouds were rapidly moving south.
Not the best weather for a young boy to be out playing in, but his mother had sent him outside after he “rode over” a bowl containing a great number of eggs meant for baking.

It started as distant rumble. Almost like an approaching thunderstorm. But the sound was constant without interruptions and it kept growing. At first Jozef didn’t pay any attention to it since it had rained continuously for almost two weeks. He sat in his favourite place, high on top of the small stone wall that surrounded his parents garden, oblivious to everything but his new toy. Normally he would just sit there looking at strangers passing by and dreaming of far away lands and adventures. From there he could see everyone that came across the river using the ford. The land across the river was open countryside and he would see for miles around.
But today the toy horse had his attention.

It was the sound of real horses that made Jozef look up. The sound of many horses. His jaw fell open and his eyes opened wide in disbelief. Never had he seen such a thing.
Splashing across the river came men on horses. Men in armour and red and white livery.
Jozef being young and not having use for it anyway couldn’t count…..but he could see men on horses and men marching as far as the eye could see all along the northern bank of the river. They all had swords, spears or guns.
In the middle of the marching column there were even wagons with strange long metallic tubes attached to them. Jozef had never seen anything like it.

The road continued south from the ford, past the wall Jozef was sitting on. The first man on horse across the river was a hard looking man in armour on a white stallion. He had many scars on his face that Jozef could see and where one of his eyes should have been there was a black patch instead.
The second man across was an equally hard looking man in armour riding a huge black horse carrying a large flag with a menacing black bird on it. The standard fluttered hard in the wind.

The first man, noticing Jozefs wide open mouth and staring eyes, laughed and called out:

“Have you ever seen such a thing boy?”
“I would think not.”
“Run….tell your parents…..The Black Griffon marches south!”

After recovering from his initial shock the boy threw himself off the wall and ran screaming into the house:
“Mutti!”  “Mutti”   “Come look at the horses!!!”

Bolts of lightning streaked across the dark sky as the long column of men, horses and wagons started crossing the river.

The storm was back.

The Black Griffon was moving south.

« Last Edit: June 21, 2011, 04:15:45 PM by VonOttenheim »
Ulrich von Ottenheim

Commander Black Griffon

Offline VonOttenheim

• Members
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2011, 06:19:36 PM »
A warm welcoming heat that came from the fireplace embraced Hans as he stepped into the common room of “Der Jägerhaus”.

“Ach Hans! Come in, come in….but hurry….close the door” came the voice of Ernst the innkeeper from behind the bar.

“Some people are colder then others” said Ernst and glanced over at something at the back of the room.

As Hans quickly closed the door he could see from the corner of his eye the two strangers sitting at a table in a dark corner of the room. The common room was empty except for the pair and that made it a strange place to sit since it must be the coldest place in the room.

“Ernst my old friend….what news?”   “What do you hear?” said Hans as he approached the rough planks laid over two huge barrels that served as a bar. Involuntarily his eyes kept glancing over at the strangers. They did look like lords. Under their long dark cloaks he could see lace and fine cloth. Yellow and black seemed to be the dominant colours. There was also a strange scent in the room. He could not quite place it. Perfume…? Could it be? Well no doubt then. They must be noblemen.

“Nothing but the rain my friend….nothing but the rain” answered Ernst.

“What will it be?”

“Mulled Wine….served as hot as you can”

While Ernst went about heating up the wine Hans kept shooting glances over in the corner that he might find out more about the travellers. It came to an abrupt halt though when the one closest to him looked Hans straight in the eyes and said in a harsh voice:

“Mind your own business peasant or I will make sure that you can only hear the rain…not SEE it!”

A southern accent. Averland was it? Hans had travelled in his youth, but it was such a long time ago and he couldn’t be sure. Averland…that must be it. Home of the mad Count Marius Leitdorf, although he was long dead now. Hans suddenly remembered hearing rumours some years back that there was civil strife in Averland and that the title was being fought over by Leitdorf’s distant relatives. Anyway….he had new information about the strangers. Elsbeth would be thrilled at this and keep off his back for awhile. His wife was the biggest tattletale in the village and the few hours peace this would bring him was almost worth the outrageous price Ernst charged for his mulled wine.

Suddenly there was the sound of men and horses outside. A low booming voice was heard saying:
“Wait here. I want sentries posted at both entrances to the village. No one leaves or comes in as long as we are here. Kill if you must, but avoid unnecessary bloodshed.”

“Remember, these are not Chaos scum but citizens of the Empire”

The answer came swift and without hesitation:
“Yes my Lord!”

The door to the inn flung open and a large man in a dark coat came into the common room.
Even a fool could see that this man was a soldier and not just any soldier, but one used to command. If nothing else then the polished breastplate and red and white livery that could be seen in the opening of his cloak gave it away. The scars in his face left by sharp weapons used in anger completed the puzzle.

“Ah, you are already here?”   “Good.” said the soldier to the two strangers.

The two strangers were already up on their feet. The taller of them. The one most scented with perfume, looked a little bit annoyed and said to the soldier:

“Why did he not come himself?”

“He does not have time for this meeting. Our forces have already moved across the river. I speak with his tongue and listen with his ears”

“Very well.”  “Come”  “We have a private room in the back where we can talk”

“Innkeeper! Bring more mulled wine to the backroom and hurry up!!!”

As the three men moved into the interior of the inn Ernst and Hans could just stare at each other in amazement.
This kind of thing was unheard of in Brumberg….at least it hadn’t happened in centuries.

As Ernst started to hastily prepare lots of mulled wine, Hans stepped out into the street and almost fell over with surprise. The street was full of soldiers and horses.

Who was this man?

And then he realized something…
Praise be to “The Green Man” thought Hans as he hurried home. All this commotion would be the talk of the town in no time. And if his Elsbeth had the story first….why then he might even have a whole days worth of peace and quiet.

Praise be to “The Green Man” thought Hans yet again as he splashed his way through the mud.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2011, 06:43:11 PM by VonOttenheim »
Ulrich von Ottenheim

Commander Black Griffon

Offline VonOttenheim

• Members
Re: Rebellion....or a new beginning?
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2011, 11:18:25 AM »
Found this site last week and like reading the stories on here and looking at other peoples armies   :biggriin:

This is the story/fluff about/around my army and its commanders the von Ottenheim family.
I write it for my own sake but thought I´d share it.

I´m always coming up with stories around my figures when I´m painting them.
There are probably plenty of grammatical and spelling errors since english isn´t my first language    :icon_confused:
Feel free to correct me if needed.

I like the Warhammer minis and started buying some in the mid-nineties but have never played the game.
I have bought some during the years but just recently (read last year) started assembling and painting them.
Not sure how to post pics on here to show it. ??

Have some early pics from last year posted on coolminiornot.com if you search for Black Griffon.

Reading here in the forum I discovered the Perry miniatures....Wow....nice ones.....will try and bolster my army with some of those.

Really enjoy this site and always finding new and interesting stuff on here  :smile2:

"Taal go with you"

Ulrich von Ottenheim

Commander Black Griffon
« Last Edit: June 23, 2011, 11:25:21 AM by VonOttenheim »
Ulrich von Ottenheim

Commander Black Griffon

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2011, 10:32:45 AM »
Enjoyed the start of your story. :icon_cool: :::cheers:::
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline VonOttenheim

• Members
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2011, 02:13:35 PM »
Thank you Sir!... for ye kind words.

Warms me heart.

Writing more fluff....but unimportant things like work, family etc gets in the way.......

Not sure if it is allowed to link to other sites on here......but have a homepage here:

http://blackgriffon.webs.com/

(It´s not good...I know....but it shows some of my army.....)

If not allowed then hopefully the proper authorities will chastise me accordingly......

« Last Edit: July 11, 2011, 02:55:36 PM by VonOttenheim »
Ulrich von Ottenheim

Commander Black Griffon

Offline VonOttenheim

• Members
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2011, 11:27:04 AM »
It was going to be a hot and humid day in Thalheim.
Albrecht had been sweating since he got up this morning and the sun was just over the horizon. But it wasn’t just the warm weather that made the little man with the well-rounded stomach sweat. He was late. The ship would sail at any moment and the captain would be down at the docks impatiently waiting for the most important part of his cargo.

Together with his wife, Lady Ophelia, Albrecht was in charge of the von Ottenheim Trading House in Thalheim. Trading on the River Stir was a most lucrative enterprise. House Ottenheims trading vessels were among the few who dared venture past the Dead city of Mordheim. Much coin was gained from trading with the dwarfs from Karak Kadrin, although they were slayers, they produced a variety of goods that was much sought after in for example Altdorf. Trading sites close to the entrance of Peak Pass was also the first and sometimes, if the prize offered was right, the only place caravans from the east stopped after coming through the Worlds Edge mountains. This was the source of the von Ottenheim family wealth and had enabled them to establish trading houses in most of the major cities of the Empire. Not only on the Stir but also on the Reik and Talabec rivers. They even had some trading posts outside the empire. The trading houses, their vessels and merchants also played a key part in the family´s information network. Nothing moved in the Empire without a von Ottenheim hearing it….

Coming up the stairs, from the secure crypt below the house, Albrecht stopped briefly in the dining room to grab one of the sandwiches from the lavish buffet laid out on the table. He hadn’t eaten since that ´middle of the night´ snack in the kitchen for Gods sake…..hunger made his large belly rumble. The injustice of it all…..all that food….and he didn’t even have time to sit down and eat it. And all because of this sword.

With sweat running down his face he stopped briefly before the altar of Taal and crossed himself before grabbing his hat and hurrying out the door while shouting:

“Ophelia!  I´m off to the docks! The package is going today!“

The villa lay on one of the hills overlooking the harbour and Albrecht always took pride in saying that he walked down there. He got his daily exercise, never mind the fact that it was all downhill and that he always took the carriage back home….him fat??....never!!!!
Ophelia had it all wrong…

Before setting off down the hill he looked out over the valley, seeing the top of the highest peak in Thalheim and the battlements of the Chapterhouse of the Temple Knights of Taal.
He could see the armour of the guards glowing in the early morning sunlight and flying of the highest tower was the temple banner and just below it the personal standard of the Komtur. “Ahhh…. Remigius is home” thought Albrecht as he almost dropped the package stumbling over a lazy dog sleeping in the middle of the street.

The anxious captain of “Der Meerjungfrau” was pacing up and down the docks as Albrecht came into the harbour area. As he came closer he could see that the captain was sweating almost as much as him. The crew and him had a long night getting the ship loaded with all the provisions a large hungry force could need. Plans were moving along more quickly then Albrecht had anticipated. The messenger had arrived late last night and the orders in the letter were clear. The Mermaid was to sail this morning, taking the provisions to Bissendorf.
Handing the captain the elongated package wrapped in finest black silk he said:
“Guard it with your life Captain. You know what it means to the cause!”

“I know my Lord. I will not let it out of my sight”

“See that you don’t. And now Sail! Sail with the speed of an arrow!”

“Any message for him?”

“Just tell him that things are progressing as planned. Our people in Altdorf and the other cities are being informed of his progress as we speak.”

“Taal be with you and the cause Sire!”

“And with you Olaf. Now sail!”

“Yes Sire.”

Albrecht watched as the ship came away from the dock and slowly started moving up the river.

Thinking of the mass of men moving down through Ostermark and their destination he muttered silently to himself:

“Taal be with us all.”

It was going to be a hot day in Thalheim.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2011, 11:32:28 AM by VonOttenheim »
Ulrich von Ottenheim

Commander Black Griffon

Offline VonOttenheim

• Members
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2011, 01:56:18 PM »
The huge double edged axe split the head open on the man next to him.
Blood, and what Dieter suspected was brain substance, gushed all over him.
It was one of the new recruits from Praag they had picked up last week.
A city boy, even he had been a Kislevite, he had known nothing of war and hadn’t had time to learn enough to know that stepping out of the battle line meant you left your flanks unguarded. Coin wasted.

“Gottverdammt!!” where was that bloody Dûraias and his elven rangers?? Their bows were sorely needed.

Dieter was a soldier in a detachment of Dietrich von Ottenheims mounted jaegers. They had left Murmagrad two nights earlier after that word came in from farms in the area that a small Chaos band was raiding up and down the forest taking slaves. The Captain had dispatched the group of jaegers and Dûraias scouts to deal with the incursion.

They had made camp during the early hours and fallen asleep like dead men despite the biting cold and falling snow. The men had been exhausted after 2 days without sleep. The enemy had attacked them after a few hours, taking them totally by surprise and killing 5 men during the first attack. Their lifeless bodies could be seen strewn among the burning remains of the tents.

After the initial shock of the attack, Dieters troop leader had managed to organize a battle line at the far end of the clearing where they had made camp.

Something was happening to the horses.
Something bad.
They were hobbled over in a dark area of the clearing and could only be made out as shadows. Terrified whinnying noises could be heard. There was a huge shadow moving around them. Wet slashing sounds were heard followed by a heavy thump as the limp body of a horse hit the ground. An unspeakable terror gripped Dieters heart as he saw that the large shadow had…. two heads??...and it was hissing.

The horses were dying.

The flames of the burning tents showed movement in the dark forest.

“Here they come again!! Hold the line!! In the name of Taal…hold the line!!! “

A large number of Marauders came charging out of the tree line. Their howling battle cries chilling the blood in Dieters already frozen body. He had no desire to die here….not today. A huge marauder had his eyes fixed on him as he charged across the clearing…Dieter knew he had been chosen …..it didn’t make him feel special…

Like a surging tide the marauder horde clashed into the thin line of mercenaries. Flails ripping huge chunks of meat off bodies, axes cleaving off limbs that were meant to be attached…..blood everywhere…..

Dieter could see the barbarian raise his huge double handed sword as he came within spitting distance of him and then in the light of the fires, the huge blade came swooping down….there was no way he could block that….no way….he could feel his bowels empty into his dirty trousers.

His scream woke the sergeant.

“For pity´s sake Dieter!! You use that as your battle cry and there wont be any enemies left”

A dream….only a dream….but it had happened….and they had survived. Pure dumb luck that time too. Dûraias appearing just as the line faltered. The elven arrows driving the marauders off and the enormous shadow howling, in disappointment at lost prey, as it dragged away two horses deeper into the forest.

“Breakfast is up. Go eat. Shake it off. Was only a dream.” The sergeant shook his head and started walking away towards morning mass.
Dieter wiped the cold sweat off his forehead, sat up and watched as the priests of Taal performed the necessary rites by the side of the road to insure that the days march would be blessed.

´The Green Man`…..what a joke, thought Dieter as he could see the commander of 1st scouts Celedol Elenvathar kneeling before a battle priest to receive his blessing. Gods and their dealings had never interested him….God had never helped him.
A cold tankard of mead, a warm woman and a sharp blade. These were things that Dieter could believe and find comfort in.

He was a mercenary.

A soldier in the Black Griffon.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2011, 02:06:37 PM by VonOttenheim »
Ulrich von Ottenheim

Commander Black Griffon

Offline Lord Equaton

• Members
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2011, 03:17:38 PM »
Good work, carry on!

Offline VonOttenheim

• Members
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2011, 08:31:31 AM »

Ulrich von Ottenheim

Raymond Charzat and Lucien Saglier

Crugeon Hawklight

Manfred von Ottenheim

Melchior Kelhammer

Hans von Ottenheim

Command group Knights Templar of TAAL

Knights Templar of TAAL

Command group 1st Swords

1st Swords

1st Halbardiers

« Last Edit: August 23, 2011, 10:04:33 AM by VonOttenheim »
Ulrich von Ottenheim

Commander Black Griffon

Offline VonOttenheim

• Members
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2011, 09:04:36 AM »
Commanders and soldiers of the Company:

Command Group: Ulrich von Ottenheim 

Lucien Saglier

Raymond Charzat

Crugeon Hawklight

Abdel-Alijj

Knights Templar of TAAL: Hans von Ottenheim

1st Swords: Manfred von Ottenheim

2nd Swords: Adam Teufelfeuer

1st Halbardiers: Melchior Kelhammer

1st Handgunners: Hermann Luijendijk

1st Jaegers: Dietrich von Ottenheim 

1st Archers: Andre Gaspard

Cannon: Cees Wagenaar   

Mortar: Christoforo D´Ambrosio

1st Elven Scouts: Celedol Elenvathar     

2nd Elven Scouts: Dûraias

1st Irregulars: Bogdan Varg

« Last Edit: July 21, 2011, 09:10:28 AM by VonOttenheim »
Ulrich von Ottenheim

Commander Black Griffon

Offline Chev

• Members
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2011, 07:28:29 PM »
Looks great mate, Nice work.

Chev,

Offline VonOttenheim

• Members
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2011, 06:06:26 AM »
This weekends addition to the Company

Christoforo D´Ambrosio

Mortar and crew

Ulrich von Ottenheim

Commander Black Griffon

Offline Alexious

• Members
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2011, 07:46:07 AM »
Very nice work... try thinning your paint a little. It will do wonders for you. But love your names especially Ambrosio!

Offline VonOttenheim

• Members
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2011, 01:11:02 PM »
Great tip !  Thanks    will try it   :biggriin:

A beginner in all this so all hints, pointers and general advise is welcome.

Guess thinner paint will make details stand out more and can build up layers, so far I have just used paint as is.

Was considering buying some Perry minis to bolster my army, but the difference in size I saw after reading comparing post here on forum made me change my mind.

So 50 new warhammer minis are joining the army instead. (wish they weren´t so expensive....)

Also done a conversion and made about 10-15 (not finished yet) mounted state troops, will paint them and show them.

See if they get shot down or not by public opinion  :blush:

I know there is no such thing in the game   but I just do this for fun and dont play.

Always thought there was a need for mounted troops that wasn´t knights.  :engel:
Ulrich von Ottenheim

Commander Black Griffon

Offline VonOttenheim

• Members
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2011, 10:09:46 AM »
Some new (painted) additions to the army.....also updated Knights of Taal pics in previous post.

....still havent decided on what kind of base would look good.....thats why no bases done.

Great cannon and crew

Cees Wagenaar

« Last Edit: September 09, 2011, 10:55:43 PM by VonOttenheim »
Ulrich von Ottenheim

Commander Black Griffon

Offline VonOttenheim

• Members
« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2011, 02:22:40 PM »
Brother Remigius was concerned.

Contingents from Bretonnia arrived this morning at the convent.

3 Knights rode into the courtyard.

The one in purple livery exclaiming "Bretonnia has arrived !!!!"

He recognized them:

Stephan "La licorne" De Taureau

Antoine "Gargouille" Le Gryphonne.

Michel "Le Crétin" DeLeon

The most powerful Barons in Bretonnia.

And they came with their men-at-arms.

A powerful host indeed.

But this was the Empire....?

« Last Edit: August 27, 2011, 08:34:44 AM by VonOttenheim »
Ulrich von Ottenheim

Commander Black Griffon

Offline VonOttenheim

• Members
« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2011, 02:30:35 PM »
Michel "Le Crétin" DeLeon....was......cousin of the King Of Bretonnia....?

Always the "black sheep" of the family.....

But now he had entered the Empire with his Army....?

This was unheard of..........War........for certain.

And two other powerful Barons in his following...

And that Elven Lord arriving last week....

Remigius had heard the rumours.....the Lion have been seen in Elven lands.

And just two days earlier....listening in to the abbots hushed conversation......"The Green Man Walks the Earth again"

But also the confusing....."This is not his timeline"....?
« Last Edit: August 27, 2011, 08:34:07 AM by VonOttenheim »
Ulrich von Ottenheim

Commander Black Griffon

Offline VonOttenheim

• Members
« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2011, 02:37:13 PM »
The Ravens brought the word.

The Ravens of Blood.

This time was not "right"

It needed change......

Or the "Green Man" would never walk the earth...

The Empire of man would prevail......at all cost....this was the mission.

In all timelines....

Ulrich von Ottenheim

Commander Black Griffon

Offline VonOttenheim

• Members
« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2011, 11:16:12 PM »
Finished some more members of the company.

Also posting some pics of not finished things just to give an idea of what Im going for.

The whole army etc....

Dont really like posting unfinished things...so I might change my mind and take them away again.

Maybe should move this to "brush and palette" since it is more of a painting thread lately....sorry about that.

Will post some more fluff post haste..... :blush:   ....(no phun intended...seriously...)

Hermann Luijendijk and brother

Go ahead. Make my day!

The Black Griffon Company

1st Handgunners

more Templar knights and footsoldiers of the Temple

the Averland noble, his Warmachine and militia

the "elven Lord" and his followers

the Bolzani brothers...they perform special tasks....dont ask....

the three bretonnian barons can be seen here, not sure where they came from..?

Just had an idea to add some Templar heavy footsoldiers and heavy crossbowmen to this army.......really want to explore/expand the whole Templar part of this.

« Last Edit: September 10, 2011, 05:57:07 AM by VonOttenheim »
Ulrich von Ottenheim

Commander Black Griffon

Offline VonOttenheim

• Members
« Reply #20 on: September 19, 2011, 08:07:58 PM »
´Its a strange collection of officers in this company´ thought Hermann as he shovelled in another spoonful of the luke warm beef stew the cooks had prepared hours earlier.
One of the downsides of marching last in the column, you got to chew the dust from all the other units marching ahead of you and the food was always cold when you reached the camp site of the day.

Hermann and his brother Andreas had their own small band of mercenary handgunners when they first met Ulrich and Hans von Ottenheim. Ulrich being a Komtur in the Kommende in the tilean town of Monte Castello. Hans serving as his 2nd in command. The Kommende was an old remnant of the crusades against Araby.

At the time it still had an active force of about 50 serving knights and ritterbrüders. The Templars manned a small fleet of galleys protecting the merchant vessels and shipping lanes in and out of Monte Castello. They also patrolled the coastline against raiding parties and pirates from Araby.

Hermann had been hired by local merchants to protect their ships. They had first met Hans during an engagement with pirates. He had commanded the templar galley that rescued them from their burning ship. The cargo was bales of wool and the fire started during the attack had explosive results, leaving many dead and the rest having to abandon ship.

The green cross banner of Taal fluttered on the battlements around the enclosed templar harbour as the galley pulled into the docks. Ulrich had been there waiting since the lookout first reported their ship approaching. He whisked Hans away as soon as he set foot on the planks of the dock. The news has been grave….a huge Chaos invasion in the north. Threatening their families trading business. They had been given leave from the order to go north and take charge of the dwindling forces of the family’s caravan guards.

Hermann, his brother and what was left of their small band of handgunners was taken care of by the kommendes serving brothers, given dry clothes and a hot meal. They were given a place to sleep in the hayloft of one of the compounds stables. After a few hours Hans had shook him awake and taken him to the office of the Komtur to meet Ulrich.

It was a short but impressive walk that took them through the Chapel-church of the Kommende and the Hall of Glory, containing all the war trophies belonging to this unit of the Order. Many of the objects were from far away Araby, but there was also things from closer to home, such as a huge skull from what have must been a gigantic orc war leader.
Hermann could almost feel the ground rumble under his feet when thinking of the “WAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!” that must have come out of that mouth.
Hans, seeing him eyeing the object said in passing:  “A formidable enemy of Taal. It took 5 of us."
"Nevertheless…. it´s now a dead enemy of Taal.”

After being introduced to Ulrich and having him explain the severe problems they were facing, along the trading lanes and on the river boats, he had been offered a very lucrative condotta with the von Ottenheims.

They very next day at sunrise, led by the Ottenheims and a small party of trusted knights, Hermann and the “Luijendijk Scharfschützen” was going north to fight Chaos.

This was the small, modest start of what was to become the “Black Griffon”.

And the beginning of a long bloody war against enemies of the von Ottenheim family.

« Last Edit: September 19, 2011, 08:10:14 PM by VonOttenheim »
Ulrich von Ottenheim

Commander Black Griffon

Offline VonOttenheim

• Members
« Reply #21 on: October 12, 2011, 03:54:59 PM »
Time: early dawn
Place: the fortress monastery of the Knight Templars of TAAL.

The fortress-monastery was an old dwarven stronghold, long since abandoned. It was situated in the Grey Mountains, close to the Brettonian city of Parravon and just south of the Axe-Bite Pass. Secluded in a narrow valley this was the place of the Orders most treasured possessions and most closely guarded secrets. This was the place of the Order Library and also where the High Seat of the Order resided, Patriarch Jozefus II.

The library was a vast underground complex and held ancient volumes collected from around the world, books and documents that had been found interesting by the clerics and battle-priests that always accompanied the fighting force. Some was mere childrens story books, others the history of lost civilizations. All was collected and studied by the monks. Books and documents on arcane religious subjects was intensely studied, no matter what the religion was.

Knowledge is power, this was one of the Orders favorite sayings, some Kommendes even used it as a battle-cry.

In this place it was guarded well.

Brother Bastien, The Keeper of Chronicles (the 2nd highest clerical position in the Order), was on a mission this morning. He had spent most of his adult life in the library so he knew his way around. This was a rare occasion. He was going down to “The Book”. The most sacred possession of the Knights Templar. At the farthest end of the library there was a door. Heavy oak door. As Bastien turned the key and the door swung open on rusty hinges, the two Ritterbrüders that accompanied him lit their torches.

The stone staircase seemed to go on forever, down and down.

When they finally reached the bottom the soldiers hands were aching from the pitch black tar that dripped down on their bare hands from the torches.
A long tunnel ensued, ending at a small crypt.
In the middle of the crypt was a pulpet and a high chair. On the pulpet lay a book.

It was THE BOOK.

The “Annalis Futurae”.

The History of the Future.

Written in the secret language know only by a select few in the Order.

“Scentia est potentia” thought Bastien as he reverently opened the book and began examining the pages under the light of the guards torches.
Ulrich von Ottenheim

Commander Black Griffon

Offline VonOttenheim

• Members
« Reply #22 on: October 12, 2011, 06:47:40 PM »
The “Annalis Futurae” is an immense book.

It contains many episodes from the empires early days.

How the twelve tribes came across the Worlds Edge Mountains and into the lands of the empire to be. Like the “Book of Origins” it tells of the early struggles of man and also of the rise of Sigmar.
None of it written in the common tongue of Reikspeil though, but in the cryptic archaic language known only to the Order….or as far as they know only known to them.

Bastiens fingers trembled as he continued turning the pages one by one. The book was too frail to turn whole sections at a time

But the book begins long before the early stories of man. And still…it is written by a man…a single man…..that writes as if he himself has been witness to these events.

It is a book that holds many contradictory elements. In some places like a story told twice but with different outcome. The monks had been studying it since it came into their possession. No one can today say how it came to them and the knowledge to read it have been passed down from Patriarch to Patriarch. Who then teaches it to the Keeper and the Hochmeister of the Order. The Hochmeister then select a few from the High Council to be thought as well, should disaster fall on the order in times of war, so that the knowledge would not be lost.

The need to learn this is the thing that keeps most aspiring young knights from reaching too high in their ambitions. Or as brother Remigius says “It´s bloody hard to learn….”

The book was not always kept here. It once sat in another crypt, in the City of Talabheim.
The Order had at one time it´s headquarters in that city. During the rule of the Ottilian Emperors and Empresses. The connection to the imperial family was so strong that they were banished from the city with the demise of the last Ottilian.

That was about to change though…..in a very near future.

The book would be restored to it´s rightful place and so would the Order.

But the things past in the book was not the problem. The disturbing part was that it was also a history of the future….a future?

The story told twice in the past becomes one in the future.

The greatest minds in the Order had for centuries tried to interpret the book. The conclusion was astounding. And very dangerous.

The book was written by the Green Man.

By Taal himself.

Taal was a living God that had walked the earth. The “Annalis Futurae” was written by his hand.

And here comes Brother Bastiens mission, the most dangerous part of the book, the Orders deepest secret, deeply offensive to all sigmarites and heretical to many.

The book is not finshed.

Someone keeps writing in it.

There is no other way into the crypt except the one Bastien entered through. A century ago the venerable Thomausz, later Patriarch in Kislev, was studying the book. He had spent many days with it when it suddenly started to shake. At first he thought it was a trick of the mind brought on by fatigue but then it started to glow green. The terrified Thomausz fled the crypt and didn’t return for many days. And then only in the company of 10 knights. The book lay as he had left it. After the crypt had been examined and found empty the knights left and Thomausz went back to study it. It wasn’t until several days later he made the remarkable discovery. The book contained almost as many blank pages as filled. It had always been so. But now new text had appeared on some of the empty pages.

It chronicled the events surrounding the twin-tailed comet. How the comet actually was a celestial vessel and that the twin-tails was a propulsion system of sorts, not unlike the steam engines of a tank from the factories in Nuln.
And that there had been three comets, not one.
The new text and what it told was earth shattering news and one of the orders biggest secrets. No new text had appeared since then. But the book was a living document, written by Taal. A living God. And the word had come….that he had been seen. That the lion…who is his messenger, had also been seen….in elven lands.

Bastiens hand trembled so much when he turned the last page that he thought he might rip it out of the book.

A cold sweat broke out on his forehead as the page turned.

No new text. A sigh of relief came from Bastien so deep that it almost blew out one of the torches.

‘Next time’….thought Bastien as he huffed and puffed up the long stairs….’next time …his High honour… the almighty Patriarch …can lift his well rounded behind …and check it for himself for once’…this was too much for an old librarians heart.

Bastien didn’t know it then….but the next time he was sent to check…there would be new text…..and that….would indeed prove to be too much for his heart.

« Last Edit: October 12, 2011, 10:04:23 PM by VonOttenheim »
Ulrich von Ottenheim

Commander Black Griffon

Offline VonOttenheim

• Members
« Reply #23 on: November 21, 2011, 09:34:28 PM »
The two guards at the entrance to the great hall straightened visibly as the towering figure crossed the courtyard. Hochmeister Corvus Starkenberg was a gigantic man, well over 2 meters in length. He carried a big two-handed great sword and was followed around by a huge black raven. It usually sat perched on his shoulder when he held council, but this morning it flew by on its own accord. Following Starkenberg by half a step was Ordensmarschall Valacchia, middle aged with a big white beard, he was also a tall man, but still a heads length shorter than his superior. His hand firmly gripping the pommel of the sword “Draconia”. They were deep in conversation as they passed the guards and only motioned slightly that they had recognized their salute.

“They must see reason…..Empire first…then Bretonnia “ grunted the Hochmeister as he climbed the first steps up to the hall.

“They will, once they understand what forces we are up against….it´s just a way to make sure we don’t forget their help once the Empire is secured…DeLeon is hellbent on becoming king…..he just needs reassurance my Lord.“

“We march tomorrow. With or without them. I got word a few hours ago by pigeon…the first blow has been struck…the fool Alberich and his stirlanders tried halting them north of Kiel, there was a battle and my Lord Ulrich lost a few good men, but was not stopped. Light horsemen from Ostermark chased Alberich all the way back over the Stir. Many drowned. It is not known if the Count made it or not.”

“Word may have reached Altdorf already Corvus !!??”  the Ordensmarschall forgetting all protocol in his excitement and calling the Hochmeister by his first name in front of the soldiers.

“Hence the haste my old friend….hence the haste….things have taken a momentum of their own….as often is in times of war…..tomorrow we march on Mörlenfurt.” Starkenberg grunted as he climbed another set of steps.

The grunts made one of the guards, Matthias, smile slightly since he knew the reason behind them….their commander was more often than not plagued by….well….boils…in his lower regions…

That was the main reason the Hochmeister fought with the infantry when there was a battle. Riding was just impossible at times. And that the main part of his bodyguard was dismounted Ritterbrüders, also known as the “Fratres Panthera”, as they carried a panther as their symbol as well as the green cross.

There is a unit of mounted “Fratres Panthera” for the times when Starkenberg can ride, but they are usually commanded by Ordensmarschall Valacchia. The Panthers history is not long, they came into existence around the same time that the Commander got his problem…with….well….piles…..
Not being able to ride because of his problem he had been attacked by a panther while leading his horse down a mountain trail in the World´s Edge Mountains, the two sword brethren who saved him had become the first two Panthers.

The “Fratres Panthera” are the elite heavy unit of the Templar Order of Taal, they are the old guard. Tested and proven worthy in countless battles.

Ulrich von Ottenheim

Commander Black Griffon

Offline VonOttenheim

• Members
« Reply #24 on: November 25, 2011, 06:36:53 PM »
Patriarch Jozefus II, his bodyguard, the Taal spears and crossbows moved out at dawn.

They had the middle of the column....Corvus had the lead.....Bretonnian forces....in large numbers had the cue of the column.

Karl Franz was no more at the first step of Patriarch Jozefus II personal guard.

The empire was falling.

Times was "a-changing".....

Taal everlasting.

And you all knew it.

The green man lives among us.

This is the end....and the beginning.

Mankind over Chaos....the ultimate goal...fulfilled.

Man triumfs everlasting...... and reaches for the stars........ as it had always been prophesized....

The Ravens say...
« Last Edit: November 25, 2011, 06:58:01 PM by VonOttenheim »
Ulrich von Ottenheim

Commander Black Griffon