home

Author Topic: The War Altar  (Read 3102 times)

Offline DivineVisitor

• Members
  • Hammer Time
The War Altar
« on: June 28, 2011, 01:26:32 AM »
I've been reading a bit on the War Altars of days gone, specifically that of the Medieval Italian Carroccio. Which was pulled by Oxen and protected by a guard of warriors in battle. Sermons were performed encouraging those nearby, the Altar with its bodyguard would act as a rallying point and serve as the army standard on the battlefield. Which made me wonder if anyone else would like to see the War Altar have the ability to join certain units. As one of the most important and sacred pieces of kit in the Empire it probably should be well protected. After all its not like the man has a megaphone to blast his sermon across the battlefield and he could always use some friends :icon_mrgreen:

I would propose these minor changes:

The Popmobile!

War Altar M - WS - BS - S 5 T 6 W 6 I - A - LD -
Warhorse M 8 WS 3 BS - S 3 T - W - I 3 A 1 LD 5

The War Altar is drawn by two warhorses.

Impact hits:
The War Altar does D6 S5 impact hits when it charges.

Battle Sermons:
The War Altar must be deployed in a unit of Infantry, the War Altar and the Arch Lector confer great confidence upon those close enough to hear the Priests words, as long as the War Altar has at least 1 wound remaining the unit accompanying it is unbreakable and hates all enemies.

Blessed Weapons:
The weapons of those tasked with protecting the War Altar in battle have been blessed by the High Priests of Sigmar before the mighty Golden Griffon, all of the units attacks count as Magical.

Battle Standard:
The War Altar may carry the army battle standard, if so as a Large Target it's "Hold Your Ground" range is increased from 12 to 18 inches.

The Power of Sigmar:
The War Altar and Arch Lector receive a 4+ Ward Save and Magic Resistance (2).

The Golden Griffon:
In the magic phase may use any spell from the Lore of Light at bound level 5.

Points cost:
Sigmar knows, expensive anyway seeing as how its damn good for the price paid already.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2011, 01:30:31 AM by DivineVisitor »

Offline commandant

• Members
Re: The War Altar
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2011, 08:08:21 PM »
300 points of kit, 250 at least

Offline Cannonofdoom

• Members
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2011, 11:02:53 AM »
I think if you have it join units, it should lose the horses, and not be able to move if the unit is destroyed, like the screaming bell.
CannonofDoom spews his shit at me all the time and I haven't banned him.

Offline DivineVisitor

• Members
  • Hammer Time
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2011, 01:04:07 PM »
I think if you have it join units, it should lose the horses, and not be able to move if the unit is destroyed, like the screaming bell.

Probably, let the flagellants pull it. Seen a number of those conversions :D