home

Author Topic: Advice/Tactics Vs. Skaven?  (Read 1077 times)

Offline FearlessFred

• Members
Advice/Tactics Vs. Skaven?
« on: February 14, 2012, 04:49:10 PM »
Hi i'm playing a 2k vs skaven next week and am looking for some advice.

My list, details can be found here http://warhammer-empire.com/theforum/index.php?topic=41093.0
waltar
lvl3 (light or shadow?)

WP
BSB
ME
ME

49 halb horde with WP
38 sword bus with BSB, maybe wiz in here?
14 flagellants

5 IC knights, (maybe GW vs the high "I" of skaven?)
Cannon
mortar
mortar
HSRbattery
---------------------------
skaven list (ish)
grey seer
assassin
bsb
lvl2 plague priest
chieftan

60 clanrats, maybe 2x30 vs my mortars
20 stormvermin
20 plague monks
2 rat ogres
mortar
flamethrower

ton of magic items.
---------------------------

I'm looking for general deployment advice and what to counter and look out for.
I'm not sure how to use my knights against his blocks.

shadow or light?

Thaks for any help

Offline TexasYankee

• Members
Re: Advice/Tactics Vs. Skaven?
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2012, 05:34:19 PM »
- His mortar is more of a priority then his flamethrower, since the mortar can move and shoot where the flamethrower can't.

- I'd go with Light over Shadow since his higher than average I and average T won't make spells like "Pit of Shades" and "Mindrazor" that appleaing. With his hordes, you want to put out as many attacks as possible, so "Birona's Timewarp" will work well and "Pha's Protection" will help you against his mortar/flamethrower. Not that Sahdow is a poor choice, I just think Light is better in this situation. Still, a good "Withering" will help your mortars wound on 2s for his big blocks . . .

-  Swordbus in the front, and knights in the flank. Although this is obvious on paper, it's usualy much harder to pull off in practice . . .  :-D

So, what would you guys do if some dude came at you with a belt that way?
Make sure I've got the safeword memorised.

Offline FearlessFred

• Members
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2012, 07:30:54 PM »
thanks

would you still go with light, bearing in mind i have a waltar and already have access to it?
So i should use the knights to support my unkilly swords rather than as a lone unit?

How about the flaggies? i might pair the flags with the swords and the knights with the halbs as that distributes my killyness reasonably well.
Should i be wanting my waltar to get into combat, if so against who, or should it sit back for ld bubble and magic?

i'm not sure how good a cannon is agianst his list as the orges are the only viable targets, maybe switch it for some pistoliers?

Should my mage go in my swords unit or free roaming?

Offline commandant

• Members
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2012, 08:26:42 PM »
you can always snipe, hit the mortars and flame throwers

Offline TexasYankee

• Members
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2012, 10:32:15 PM »
you can always snipe, hit the mortars and flame throwers

yes

Forgot that the Waltar has access to Lore of Light (I never play waltar), so yes, probably best to go with Shadow.

GW would work on the Knights, 'cause, yeah, rats are gonna strike first, and since most are only S3, the 2+ save will be the same (just stay away from the Plague Monks and Stormvermin)

As for a lone wizard, Skaven are known for thier trickery, and would just love to catch a lone wizard with a spell or war machine. I like to keep mine in a flesh bunker.

The only other thing I see is only 14 flaggies. If you are going to go with these guys, go big. Full 30. Yes, they are Unbreakable, but they are very easy to kill, and 14 is just not enough. Maybe want to switch to Greatswords, who tend to hang around a little longer (if you are still only going to go with 14, that is).

So, what would you guys do if some dude came at you with a belt that way?
Make sure I've got the safeword memorised.

Offline Athiuen

• Members
  • The Old World
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2012, 01:23:15 AM »
Remember his weapons teams only have a 4+ lookout, so a unit of 10 xbows will take 1 out each turn.
Quote from: warhammerlord_soth
No beer was wasted.
They fired at a can of Heineken.
The end is Neigh!
Quote from: Swan-of-War
Curse you clearly-written rules!

Offline FearlessFred

• Members
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2012, 01:18:29 PM »
As he only has a PW mortar and flame thrower the flags should get into combat at pretty much full strength.

I'm using them as more of a killy detachment than a proper block.

My problem with shadow vs skaven is their high I so the 2 damage spells won't be as good.