home

Author Topic: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]  (Read 643364 times)

Offline Karl Voss of Averland

• Members
  • Captain of Loningbruck
Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
« Reply #10475 on: February 08, 2017, 01:38:37 PM »
Admund leans forward and squints as the boat edges closer to the docks. He will attempt to make out any figures on the docks.
I sexually violated the cat.  When we have children I will push harder for this time honored and enjoyable tradition

Remembering what Rufas started and endures in us all

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #10476 on: February 08, 2017, 04:16:10 PM »
"Want me to bring us in by that yacht then?" Freddie says, "or over the other side, at one of the jetties?"

As they get closer, the group can see more of the shipyard.

The yacht is a sleek racing boat, its sails furled. The building it's docked by [building 1] has two levels and a tiled, pointed roof. A door from the lower level leads directly onto the dock. A large window on the upper level looks out over the water. This looks like it could be the office of the shipyard's owner, and the yacht might be his personal craft.

Each of the six of the drydocks holds a vessel of varying size. They need to be examined more closely. Close by is a building with an open side [building 5], in which can be seen a forge.

The two long jetties have no boats moored at them. The large building nearby [6] looks like a warehouse. Past the second jetty, up against the fence, is a tall tower with a signaling light at the top of it [building 7]. This light is on, and glows softly. It doesn't look like a fire.

There are two more large buildings further back in the yard [2 and 4]. There's also a hut near the gate [3], which could be the ogre's lair.

There's no sign of any people anywhere in the yard.
Hey, I could still beat up a woman!
If I wanted to.

• Members
  • Captain of Loningbruck
« Reply #10477 on: February 09, 2017, 05:15:59 PM »
"Look there, that building might be a forge. We could hide there if needed. I think we should make for that first Jetty." Admund whispers to the others.
I sexually violated the cat.  When we have children I will push harder for this time honored and enjoyable tradition

Offline Cannonofdoom

• Members
« Reply #10478 on: February 10, 2017, 06:17:57 PM »
"A forge promises to be occupied. We would have better luck in an alley or warehouse. I should make for that tower." Heinrich points at the lighted tower. "I could see the whole yard from there, might be able to signal if something is going wrong."
CannonofDoom spews his shit at me all the time and I haven't banned him.

Offline commandant

• Members
« Reply #10479 on: February 12, 2017, 04:23:38 PM »
Mortus will stick with Admund

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #10480 on: February 14, 2017, 12:38:07 PM »
Freddie takes the boat in to the first jetty [1]. He jumps ashore, holding the rope, and ties the boat up. He'll wait by the boat, ready for when the group leaves.

There are no other boats at the jetties. The nearby warehouse has its doors shut and windows shuttered. The forge is dark and unoccupied. Everything is quiet, except that Admund [acute hearing] can hear snoring coming from the small hut near the gate.
If I wanted to.

• Members
  • Captain of Loningbruck
« Reply #10481 on: February 17, 2017, 01:20:40 AM »
Admund helps the others off the boat carefully. "Someone in the gate house" Admund whispers and points to the others, passing along what he heard.

He will advance carefully and slowly toward the forge, remaining in the shadows. He will use the darkened building's shadowy open side as cover and look down the row of boats. He will try to make out any that appear to be similar to a clipper as the elf described.

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #10482 on: February 17, 2017, 12:01:06 PM »
Admund moves alongside the forge and looks at the boats in the drydocks. Two of them are large vessels - as large as the drydocks can accommodate [ships A and B], but both are under construction and so can't be the Silver Isles ship. Another is an elaborate barge [Ship D], which is also still being built. The two nearest the forge [E and F] are in for refit, but appear to be yachts like the one moored near the office [building 1]. In the remaining drydock [ship C] is an ocean-going ship, not as large as the two under construction but fitting the description of the one the group are seeking. Getting to it will mean passing through the open courtyard, in sight of the gatehouse.

Admund can now see the other two buildings [2 and 4] properly. Both are single-level buildings that look like workshops, and both are closed up for the night.

Heinrich moves along the waterfront of the warehouse and approaches the watchtower. It has a single, heavy-looking door, which is closed. The open roof is surrounded by crenelations. The signal light looks to be a softly-glowing orb of some sort: elven magic. The tower has arrow-slit windows, which are unlit. It would be possible to climb up the outside.
If I wanted to.

Offline Cannonofdoom

• Members
« Reply #10483 on: February 17, 2017, 10:57:24 PM »
It would be possible to climb up the outside.

Heinrich will attempt to do so.

Offline Sig

• Members
« Reply #10484 on: February 18, 2017, 05:14:07 AM »
"The ogre and his dogs should be in that guard house" whispers Hans. "Probably not worth going over there... his dogs might smell us and wake up. Don't need that. Should be able to creep across the yard to that boat."

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #10485 on: February 19, 2017, 11:20:53 AM »
Heinrich reaches the tower and starts to climb.

[climb test (bonus due to ambidextrous): pass]

It's not a difficult surface to climb - the tower was designed to be decorative rather than defensive. He makes his way to the top and hauls himself over the parapet. A trapdoor (which is closed) leads down into the tower). In front of him is the glowing orb, which is fixed to a stand. There are no visible controls for it.

Looking out from the parapet, Heinrich can see the whole yard.  Everything looks quiet. He can also see over the water, and so should notice if any boats draw near.
If I wanted to.

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #10486 on: February 19, 2017, 11:29:32 AM »
Mortus, Admund and Hans walk cautiously towards the ship [drydock C]. The watchtower casts everything in an eerie light, creating weak shadows that flicker and dance as they move. But, they reach the drydock without incident.

The ship rests on a wooden support frame. Steps lead down into the drydock, which is isolated from the sea water by a wooden gate. A plank reaches onto the ship's deck from the dockside. The ship itself is a typical elven design, sleek and elegant. Its name is delicately painted on the bow - the characters look like those the elf wrote down for you.
If I wanted to.

Offline Sig

• Members
« Reply #10487 on: February 19, 2017, 12:14:14 PM »
"In and out, nice and quick" whispers Hans, nodding towards the plank. "Mortus, are you able to tell if there are any magic wards or suchlike on this thing?"

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #10488 on: February 19, 2017, 10:13:35 PM »
[Mortus knows that she can sense that something is magical by touching it, and that she can sense the presence of other magic-users if she concentrates. That's all though.]
If I wanted to.

Offline Cannonofdoom

• Members
« Reply #10489 on: February 20, 2017, 12:36:53 PM »
Heinrich will keep on lookout. He will string his longbow and nock an arrow just in case.

• Members
  • Captain of Loningbruck
« Reply #10490 on: February 21, 2017, 04:59:10 PM »
"Mortus, can you sense anything?" Admund whispers. He gestures for her to put her hand on the ship to sense for magical traps or wards.

Admund will board the ship slowly and cautiously once given the all clear.

Offline commandant

• Members
« Reply #10491 on: February 22, 2017, 09:30:12 PM »
Mortus will touch the ship  and then concentrate to see if there is anything magical

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #10492 on: February 23, 2017, 10:49:35 PM »
Mortus walks along the gangplank and touches the side of the ship. What she senses is ambiguous. There isn't a definite enchantment present... yet there is magic woven into the timbers at a fundamental level. Perhaps all elven ships are like this: she doesn't know.

Mortus then concentrates to sense the presence of other magic-users. Again, her senses are somewhat blurred. She doesn't think she can detect anyone on the ship or nearby, but she can certainly sense a significant number at the edge of her range. She supposes that she's sensing some of the elves in the other buildings beyond the shipyard, but it's hard to tell.

The ship's two masts have been removed, presumably so they can be repaired or replaced. Two doors lead to the fore and aft castles respectively. A hatch leads down into the main body of the ship.
If I wanted to.

Offline commandant

• Members
« Reply #10493 on: February 25, 2017, 01:17:50 AM »
Mortus will inform the others that she doesn't think that there is any magic users on board but that there are some around.

She will go into the main body of the ship carefully

• Members
  • Captain of Loningbruck
« Reply #10494 on: February 25, 2017, 01:37:47 AM »
Admund will also board quietly, and begin moving aft, slowly.

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #10495 on: February 25, 2017, 12:46:41 PM »
The timbers of the deck are fitted together so neatly that they almost look like a continuous surface. The ship's railing has mounting points for small weapons of some sort, but those weapons are absent.

Admund walks towards the aft-castle. He can see the ship's wheel on the raised deck above it. Steps at either side lead up to that deck. Between the steps, in front of him, is the door that leads inside the aft-castle. It's closed.

Mortus goes to the hatch on the main deck. Steps lead down into the dark interior. Descending, she can see something of the area by the light coming through the hatch. She's on a gun-deck, though the ship is carrying strange bolt-throwing machines rather than cannon. There are four of these contraptions, two on each side of the deck. Each has an associated gun-port, which is closed. Another hatch leads further down into the ship. There are also two doors on this deck: one to the fore, one to the aft.
If I wanted to.

• Members
  • Captain of Loningbruck
« Reply #10496 on: February 25, 2017, 01:56:30 PM »
Admund will pause for a second and listen through the door. He will then open the door slowly.

Offline commandant

• Members
« Reply #10497 on: February 25, 2017, 02:00:43 PM »
Mortus will go aft, carefully, slowly, listening all the time

Offline Sig

• Members
« Reply #10498 on: February 25, 2017, 09:45:23 PM »
Hans can't help but sneer at the bolt throwing contraptions. No wonder the elves lost to the dwarfs. Hans creeps toward the hatch to see if he can open it.

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #10499 on: February 26, 2017, 09:52:18 PM »
Admund listens at the door, but hears nothing. He goes to open it, and finds it unlocked. Beyond is a relatively large room that can only be the captain's quarters. There are two windows on the far wall (so on the aft face of the ship), both with their shutters closed. One section to the right is partitioned off: the door to it is closed, but Admund assumes it's the captain's bedchamber. The main room contains a table with eight chairs around it. Cupboards line the wall to Admund's left. The room looks relatively empty - much of the room's contents has presumably been removed and placed in storage while the ship is worked on.

On the gun-deck, Mortus walks aftward. She hears nothing. On reaching the door, she opens it. Beyond are the crew quarters, but (as with the captain's cabin) there are no personal items visible. There are multiple folding beds, stowed neatly against the walls. Each has a storage locker beside it. There's another door on the far side of the room.

Also on the gun-deck, Hans approaches the hatch. It opens easily - the wood is light, and the hinges run smoothly. Steps lead down into what looks to be a cargo hold. It's very dark down there, but from what he can see it's empty. Just then, he thinks he hears something. Somewhere down in the hold he hears a soft scraping noise. He freezes, listening intently. Then he hears it again. He thinks it's somewhere at the fore end of the hold.
If I wanted to.