home

Author Topic: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]  (Read 643848 times)

Offline Cannonofdoom

• Members
Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
« Reply #10575 on: April 16, 2017, 02:28:56 AM »
Heinrich will loose arrows at the ogre to try to slow him.
CannonofDoom spews his shit at me all the time and I haven't banned him.

Offline commandant

• Members
« Reply #10576 on: April 16, 2017, 03:24:16 PM »
Mortus will cast duel lightening bolt at the orge and then run for the boat.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2017, 03:44:40 PM by commandant »

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #10577 on: April 17, 2017, 04:03:05 PM »
Mortus stops running and begins to cast her spell.

Heinrich draws his bow and shoots.

[Heinrich (longbow): 22, hits right arm. S4+d6 roll of 1-T6-A1 = no damage]

The arrow hits the ogre's weapon arm, but is deflected by his mail armour.

The ogre continues to rush towards them.

Mortus completes her spell

[casts lightning bolt with 2 bolts. -12MP. Auto hit. Ogre I test for half damage: 92, fail]
[Bolt 1 vs ogre: S4+d10 roll of 7-T6 (ignores armour) = 5 wounds]
[Bolt 2 vs ogre: S4+d10 roll of 6-T6 (ignores armour) = 4 wounds]

Two bolts of lightning arc from her hand and connect with the ogre. For a brief moment he is lit up by scintillating energy, and an unpleasant smell of burning hair fills the air.

[Ogre Cl test: 18, pass]

The ogre staggers back, clearly injured by the spell. But then he narrows his eyes, growls, and starts to charge forward again.

[end of round]

Freddie unties the boat from the jetty and pushes off [Mortus can still leap aboard].

Mortus turns her back on the ogre and flees for the boat!

On the boat, Heinrich shoots again.

[Heinrich (longbow): 08, hits body. S4+d6 roll of 5-T6-A1 = 3 wounds]

The arrow slips between mail links and embeds itself in the ogre's shoulder. The monster keeps coming, but it's been slowed somewhat.

[Mortus M test to reach the end of the jetty: pass. Leap test to reach the boat: pass!]

Mortus runs at full speed to the end of the jetty, then launches herself into the air. She clears the gap and lands on the boat.

[I test or fall over: 48, pass]

She lands well. The boat continues to move away from the jetty, now going more quickly.

The ogre reaches the end slightly too late. But his reach is formidable, and he takes a swing with his huge axe!

[Ogre1 (at boat): 46, miss]
[Ogre2 (at boat): 36, hits hull. S7+d6 roll of 2-T4 = 5 wounds to boat]

The axe cuts a chunk out of the boat's hull. Freddie curses and strains at the rudder to keep on course. The boat has moved out of range now, leaving the ogre to shout and wave his axe in fury from the jetty.

"I think we're taking on water," Freddie tells the others. "I hope we'll make it to the Vlakland shore, but I don't know... can any of you swim?"
Hey, I could still beat up a woman!
If I wanted to.

Offline commandant

• Members
« Reply #10578 on: April 17, 2017, 08:23:23 PM »
Mortus looks terrified, she remembers what happened last time she tried to swim.   She shakes her head.

Offline Sig

• Members
« Reply #10579 on: April 17, 2017, 09:11:53 PM »
Hans curses as the axe hits the boat, trying to remember what poison Max said would be effective on the Ogre, but in the heat of the moment he can't remember if it's Trollbane or Manbane. He decides to fling both at the ogre (assuming he's still in range), reaching into his pouch and throwing the first of those he grabs.

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #10580 on: April 17, 2017, 09:51:59 PM »
"I thought not," Freddie says, "well, these aren't good waters for swimming anyhow. Not sure I can make it if we sink, and I'm a pretty strong swimmer. Say a prayer and hope we make it to land!"

Hans throws the poison vials at the ogre.

[Hans (thrown weapon): 15, hit. ogre toughness test: 77, fail]

The vials hit the ogre and shatter, spraying him with the concentrated poison (both types). He sways for a moment and then crashes down onto the jetty, either unconscious or dead.

The boat sails away from the shipyard. With the ogre dealt with, it will be a while before anyone else can arrive at the dockyard to investigate the situation. The only danger now is being intercepted by elven patrol boats... and the fact that the party's boat is slowly sinking.

Freddie steers them on the most direct course towards the mud flats that face Elftown. Water floods the bottom of the boat, filling their shoes, and soon the boat is only inches above the water level. They bail out as best they can.

"Not far now," Freddie says, "looks like the patrols aren't coming at least. This boat has had it, mind."

They keep going, the boat wallowing deeper and deeper. As the Vlakland mudflats come into sight the water is pouring in too fast for the party's efforts at bailing to make any difference. At last, it dips below the waves and is lost. Fortunately, the water is only five feet deep (Freddie is out of his depth, but can indeed swim well). The party are able to wade, waterlogged but alive, onto the shore. Freddie emerges from the water. "That was a fine boat. It's a shame. Oh well - it carried us to shore anyway. Looks like we're walking back."
If I wanted to.

Offline commandant

• Members
« Reply #10581 on: April 18, 2017, 12:22:16 AM »
"We will, of course, cover the price of your boat," Mortus says, shaking water and mud from her hair.   "Conside it part of our fee."

Offline Karl Voss of Averland

• Members
  • Captain of Loningbruck
« Reply #10582 on: April 18, 2017, 02:08:35 AM »
Admund uses his helm to bail water, until it becomes obvious the boat is lost. He helps gather the gear from the boat, and is one of the first to get into the water. As the tallest member of the group, he helps hold the boat as the others get out. "Mortus, keep that knife safe. Keep your voices down, lads. Easy now, shore is that way."

As they trudge through the shoulder height water, Admund offers his shoulder to Freddie and Mortus to keep their heads above water. He feels his boots alternatively sink in the mud and roll over smooth rocks. He pushes through the cat-tails and reeds to make it ashore. He finds a large rock to sit on and catch his breath while the others collect themselves.

"Aye, sorry 'bout the boat Freddie." Admund says in a low voice. "Least it's a nice night for a bloody swim."

Admund peers around the reeds and marshland of Vlakland trying to get his bearing. "Hans. Heinrich. You figure the city walls are that way? We could make our way around to Noordmuur?"
I sexually violated the cat.  When we have children I will push harder for this time honored and enjoyable tradition

Remembering what Rufas started and endures in us all

Offline Sig

• Members
« Reply #10583 on: April 18, 2017, 02:18:41 AM »
Ignoring the filth and mud Hans peers in the dark. "Your guess is as good as mine" he replies to Admund. "Never been here and I've no sense of direction out here anyhow. I don't care where we end up as long as it isn't Elftown. Mind you, I've heard rumours of mutants out here on the mud plains. Don't really care about mutants myself, but the rumours say they're bandit, cannibal types."

• Members
  • Captain of Loningbruck
« Reply #10584 on: April 18, 2017, 02:26:29 AM »
"I think we're still inside the walls of the city. This looks like Vlakland. Only poor fishermen in their huts out here." Admund says, picking a reed out of his sling and checking his sword.

"Either that or we're on Rijkers and we'll all have a good time."

"Heinrich, can you make anything from the stars?" Admund looks up at the moon.
I sexually violated the cat.  When we have children I will push harder for this time honored and enjoyable tradition

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #10585 on: April 18, 2017, 11:04:52 AM »

Freddie takes off his sodden shirt and wrings it out. "Can't be helped about the boat," he says, "I reckon we're pretty lucky it got us this far. Can't ask more than that." He seems to be happy enough to have survived.

Heinrich [with his Astronomy skill] can estimate their location. They are roughly north of Elftown, on the mudflats that adjoin the city wall (but still inside the walls). Fortunately, they're on the mainland rather than on one of the outlying islands. Even so, it's going to be a long and unpleasant walk through the mud, since the only bridge to the city is near the Oostenpoort gatehouse. At this hour, there won't be any boatmen about to give them a lift.
If I wanted to.

Offline Sig

• Members
« Reply #10586 on: April 18, 2017, 11:11:59 AM »
"I've seen worse" says Hans almost cheerfully, looking relaxed with the evidence found and no elves in sight. "The muck doesn't bother me much, unless we get caught by the elves. Nothing else to do but walk. Let's go."

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #10587 on: April 18, 2017, 03:03:06 PM »
"Elves don't like mud much," Freddie says to Hans, "I'd be surprised if any would bother us out here."

They set off, heading first towards the sea wall. The thick mud clings to them, slowing their steps and constantly threatening to claim their shoes. In due time they reach the wall. As they saw on their boat journey earlier in the night, the wall is of packed earth bolstered with brick, rather than the stone construction that it is near the Middenheim Road. In the shadow of the wall, the ground is drier and much easier to traverse. They begin to follow it.

Once they see a white boat glide past along the canal, focused lanterns scanning the dark water. "Elf patrol," Freddie whispers. "Looking for a boat though. They won't see us up here."

They continue. It's a relatively warm night, but their wet clothes make them shiver. As they trudge on, the sky begins to show signs of dawn. The sun will soon rise. Eventually they come to a heavy stone tower, and past it the wall is a traditional city wall rather than a flood barrier. It's not much further before the gatehouse of the Oostenpoort comes into sight. The gates to the Middenheim Road are still shut, but it won't be long until they are opened for a new day.

To the party's right is the bridge to the city. A patrol of watchmen stand at the near end of it, clustered in a circle, smoking and chatting to each other.

The party will no doubt be seen by them when they cross - and in their damp, muddy state are likely to draw attention.
If I wanted to.

Offline commandant

• Members
« Reply #10588 on: April 20, 2017, 09:49:56 AM »
Mortus will walk across the bridge.   If she is stopped she will explain that she had a boating accident with her friends and offer the guard a considerable but safe some of money to not report it to her father or get her into trouble.

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #10589 on: April 20, 2017, 11:13:31 AM »
As the party approach, one of the guards says, "What've we got here! Looks like revolutionaries to me, boys."

"Aye. The captain said to watch out for revolutionaries," another guard says.

"They look dirty enough, that's for sure," a third guard says, "and that little one's got no shoes."

"I'm a halfling!" Freddie says indignantly.

"If you say so. I'd say you're all up to no good, regardless. Sticking up more of those posters, most likely."

"Better run them into the station."

Mortus tells her story about the boating accident. The guards show no interest until she produces the money [12 crowns] and offers it to them.

[Bribery test against guard's WP: 67, bribery succeeds]

It's more than enough money to satisfy them, since all they have to do is look the other way. They make a show of apologising to Mortus for delaying her and promise not to report what happened.

The party cross the bridge without further trouble. They continue into the Handelaarmarkt district as the dawn breaks. They find a boatman to take them the rest of the way to their inn at Ostmuur, to avoid any further trouble with guards. As they travel, the boatman tells them that the city watch have been unusually visible during the night, as though trouble is suspected.

They arrive at the Salted Salmon Inn. Max is actually sitting on the doorstep, nursing a cup of beer, and is delighted when he sees them. "You're back! I'm so glad. Um, no one is hurt? No? Fantastic!"

Once inside, the party can get cleaned up and have breakfast. Then they can reunite with Julian, Ragni and Max and talk about what happened at the shipyard.
If I wanted to.

Offline commandant

• Members
« Reply #10590 on: April 23, 2017, 11:55:41 AM »
Mortus will take the time to meditate 5 magic points while she is changing behind her locked door.

• Members
  • Captain of Loningbruck
« Reply #10591 on: April 23, 2017, 04:48:08 PM »
Admund has a bath drawn and changes his clothes. He reslings his arm in a fresh and does his best to dry and oil his sword to prevent rust. The fine elven steel glints in the candle light as he runs a rag along it.

He leaves his room in plain sturdy clothes with his Knight's Panther medallion tucked underneath his shirt, and joins the others. He knocks on Julian's door, and will quietly enter when he answers. He'll fill Julian, Ragni, and Max in on what happened during the raid.

"We found something, Master Dwarf. A knife was hidden in compartment in the captains quarters. Mortus thinks it's defintley something evil. Wouldn't even touch it."

"We had come help. Another elf was on the ship, friends of the clan who met with you. She opened the case and a poison needle pricked her. Far as we could tell, she's dead."

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #10592 on: April 24, 2017, 10:53:02 AM »
Max takes a look at the scroll. He frowns with concentration. "Um, the letters are Elvish, of course, which I'm afraid I don't read. But I do recognise some of the patterns in the words.. it's hard to explain... but they're like the arcane language of magic. So I'd guess this is a ritual, or a spell. The ink is either blood or it's supposed to look like it. And this scorpion symbol... I think that's the sign of the elven god Khaine. Ah, there's some confusion in academic circles as to whether or not the elvish Khaine is the same as the brother of Morr from our own pantheon. The human Khaine is the lord of murder, but the elvish one is a god of war - not quite the same thing, though close to it. Anyway, Khaine - in a darker aspect - is the patron of the evil elves. The knife is probably a sacrificial implement.

"This elf you encountered: was she from Clan Tallaindeloth or Clan Lianllach?"
If I wanted to.

• Members
  • Captain of Loningbruck
« Reply #10593 on: April 25, 2017, 12:50:32 AM »
"She was Lionach... erhm Lianllach" Admund says struggling with the elven name, "She was concerned about "putting her own house in order'. It gives me reason to think there are a few in the clan that want to set things right."

"Well, one less in the clan now anyways. We had to leave her on the boat. Lucky for us she was shit was a crossbow."

Admund hooks a thumb through his belt and thinks for a minute. "So some elves are secret worshippers of Khaine, their god of war. They want war with Middenheim. It does seem to fit, no?"

Offline Finlay

• Members
  • C'mon Son
« Reply #10594 on: April 25, 2017, 09:00:23 AM »
Julian greets the party  feeling extremely well rested "ah, best nights sleep I had in a long time. Doesn't seem like you guys are as well rested. interesting night?"

"A Llanliach agent investigating their own house... seems like not all of them are part of this plot then. Shame we couldn't get any more information from her though, we need someone to talk to within the house who might be more sympathetic to us. or at least appreciate the importance of stopping whatever is happening.

If you left her on the boat with a bit of luck they might think it was only fellow elves there, although now they know this knife is gone they're sure to act quickly."
I don't care about the rules.

Pass the machete.

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #10595 on: April 25, 2017, 10:19:00 AM »
"It's good news that Clan Llianlach isn't completely corrupted," Max says. "The dark elves' plan might still be in its early stages. Hopefully Neralon will be able to help us solve this problem without causing an outcry in the city."
If I wanted to.

Offline Sig

• Members
« Reply #10596 on: April 25, 2017, 12:45:28 PM »
"Not completely," Hans says with more than a hint of contempt, "but the elf bitch was clearly more concerned about her clan's welfare than doing what's right. Good riddance to trash like her, I say."

Hans pauses for a moment. "This elf who helped us, he kept his word. But can we trust him not to take our evidence from us and not involve us further? Shut us out? Then we're relying on him to sort it out. Who's to say he doesn't just want to embarrass his rival clan? I doubt he gives a shit about Middenheim or any necromancy."

Offline Finlay

• Members
  • C'mon Son
« Reply #10597 on: April 25, 2017, 01:42:18 PM »
"I don't trust him really", Julian ponders, "but I'm certain he cares about more than his clan's status. Was one of the most open elves i've ever met, drinking dwarven beer! If that don't make an elf trustworthy I don't know what would. besides, as much as the elves claim, they do need the humans here. What good is being the biggest clan if you've pissedd off your neighbours so much no one will trade with you. We've met several elves here willing to help us, and Neralon did all he promised to help you last night. I say when we meet him we go in force though. I can meet him with Mortus, keep it as before. you guys stationed around the meeting place in case he does try anything. We're relying on his help to use this though, as I'm not sure where else to go from here. All we've really got is a kidnapped prisoner and a stolen dagger"

Pass the machete.

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #10598 on: April 25, 2017, 09:19:12 PM »
"Neralon did say he wanted to see the evidence, not take it," Max says. "And he did sound very worried about the dark elves. I'm sure he'd like to see Llianlach reduced in power, but a dark elf infiltration is far more important than a political squabble. I think you're right, Mr Julian, sir: we should meet him and show him what we have. But, um, on our territory."

"Or we could march back into that smug Lanlack bugger's office in Elftown and stick the dagger in his desk and ask him what he says to that!" Ragni says. "Bet it'd wipe the grin off his face."
If I wanted to.

Offline Finlay

• Members
  • C'mon Son
« Reply #10599 on: April 25, 2017, 09:35:48 PM »
"Not lacking for courage Ragni, but I think if we did that we'd not be leaving elf town"

Julian scribbles a quick note on a piece of parchment to Neralon

We've found what we're looking for. Meet us at the salted salmon as soon as you can

Pass the machete.