home

Author Topic: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]  (Read 643812 times)

Offline Fandir Nightshade

• Members
Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
« Reply #200 on: June 08, 2012, 03:36:32 PM »
"Well....that is kind of a long story and one best told at some campfire with more audience. I hail from Averland and lets just say I wanted to escape the gray and constricting surrounding of my family home and see the wonders of the Old World. So basically I am looking for everything interesting whatever has to offer to me and hopefully becoming rich and famous on the way. Don´t you think it is a bit dangerous travelling around alone? Nordland wine? Never heard of any wine hailing from Nordland do you import over Marienburg?"

Offline commandant

• Members
« Reply #201 on: June 08, 2012, 03:52:20 PM »
"It is safe enough when you travel on populated roads and not at night.   There are not many interesting wines in Nordland but there are people there that are interested in wine.   We sometimes go to Averland to look for wine and we do quite a lot of trade with the House of Drochfion in Aldorf.   I don't know if you have heard of them.   We do some trade with Marienburg but my father is not fond of traitors to the Empire and he views Marienburg that way." she says smiling.   She pauses to sip her wine again and take a bite from the pie.   "Your family home, are you of noble birth?"

• Members
« Reply #202 on: June 08, 2012, 04:00:12 PM »
"Well.....I am not a person to boast (no comments please :-D) but as you already have noticed, yes I am a Bastard born to one of the nobles of the city of Pfungzig in Averland, as I don´t want to spill any dishonour on the house itself I want to keep the family name secret. Even though no legit son of his my father shared his fatherly love between my true born brothers and me but the Wanderlust got to me and so I left the place. Living under the stars is so much more interesting than being captive in a vault of stone and even though sometimes I miss the linen and feather stuffed beds I am always compensated on my travels by meeting incredible interesting people" ´

Stating this he toastes towards Mortus and takes a few bites of the pie.

Klaus raised his voice slightly so other people in the tavern might pick up on the story, and hopes that someone is interested in his false tales.

Offline commandant

• Members
« Reply #203 on: June 08, 2012, 04:18:20 PM »
"Being noble born I assume that you would have a fine taste in wine," Mortus says slowly.   "The nobles of Nordland are always interested in a good new wine.   If you could point me in the general direction of a new one there might be a finders fee of say 20% of the profit of the first run in it for you.   I do understand wanderlust.   You have no idea how annoyed my father was when I told him that I wanted to search for new wines.   He declared that our current importation was more than enough but I also wanted the see the beauty of the south."

Offline Cannonofdoom

• Members
« Reply #204 on: June 08, 2012, 09:16:33 PM »
“Let’s follow the Goblin’s trail. From all those crates it doesn’t look like these boys will be moving anytime soon. I think we should put the key back where it was, so they don’t realize anyone knows they have been found.”

Julian then checks the maps to see  what is above the crate filled room.
Heinrich nods. He carefully closes and locks the door, and replaces the key where he found it, then sets off with Julian to find the gobbo.
CannonofDoom spews his shit at me all the time and I haven't banned him.

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #205 on: June 08, 2012, 10:15:39 PM »
Heinrich and Julian set off along the sewer passageway, back to where Julian found the dead dwarf. When they arrive, the body is covered in rats - the creatures scatter as the lantern light falls on them. The face has been eaten half away, but Heinrich recognizes Gottri Gurnisson, the dwarf he freed from the stocks earlier today.

Since there's nothing they can do for Gottri, unless they want to retrieve his body for burial, they continue following the goblin's trail. It leads them another hundred yards or so, before reaching another wooden door set into the sewer wall  (S7 on the map). This one is much better constructed than the door that lead to the cellar, and has a barred window set into it. The blood trail leads right to the door, and there is a clear, goblin-sized foot print halfway up. Heinrich notices blood on the bars also - the gap is small, but the goblin could have forced its way through. Looking through the window, he sees a large cellar, partly lit by a flickering torch on a wall sconce. There is a strange pattern of some sort on the floor. There's no immediate sign of the goblin, and no sound coming from the room. The creature could be lurking in the shadows, hiding - or lying in ambush.

[white square because there was text over the picture!]
Hey, I could still beat up a woman!
If I wanted to.

Offline Cannonofdoom

• Members
« Reply #206 on: June 08, 2012, 10:24:52 PM »
Heinrich will examine the door.

Offline Finlay

• Members
  • C'mon Son
« Reply #207 on: June 08, 2012, 10:26:28 PM »
as will Julian, using his super engineering powers.
I don't care about the rules.

Pass the machete.

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #208 on: June 08, 2012, 10:30:08 PM »
There's no lock on the door, but it is bolted from the other side. Julian could use his tools to lever it open it with minimal effort.
If I wanted to.

Offline Finlay

• Members
  • C'mon Son
« Reply #209 on: June 08, 2012, 10:35:17 PM »
"I can open the door, but it might be noisy... What do you think Heinrich?"

Pass the machete.

Offline Cannonofdoom

• Members
« Reply #210 on: June 08, 2012, 10:48:31 PM »
"I can open the door, but it might be noisy... What do you think Heinrich?"

"Do you have any idea which building we might be under?"

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #211 on: June 08, 2012, 10:55:18 PM »
Julian checks his maps, and determines that the room is under a building on Kaufman Strasse, in the commerical district and close to the Adel Ring (where the town's richest people live). The map does not show what the building is.
If I wanted to.

Offline Cannonofdoom

• Members
« Reply #212 on: June 08, 2012, 10:59:30 PM »
Julian checks his maps, and determines that the room is under a building on Kaufman Strasse, in the commerical district and close to the Adel Ring (where the town's richest people live). The map does not show what the building is.

"Well, the gobbo went in there, so we have little choice. Open it."

Heinrich readies his bow, ready to shoot anything that comes through the door.

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #213 on: June 08, 2012, 11:07:45 PM »
Julian takes out his tools, and sets about breaking open the door. He does this with considerable efficiency and skill, so it is only a short time before he is done.

The first thing they see, close to the door, is a small pile of broken, chewed and fresh bones, including a three-socketed pelvis.

On the floor is a circle of copper, some 3" thick and 15' in diameter. Inside this is painted a five-pointed star, with a silver candlestick holding an unlit, black candle set at each point. In the centre of the star is a drawing of some sort of beast's head, with writing around it. There is blood on the drawing - Julian's dwarfish eyes can tell, even in the poor light, that the blood is greenish.

Beyond the circle, an iron cabinet stands in one corner. In the opposite corner, something small and white like a piece of cloth lies on the floor.

But they have only a moment to take all this in. Suddenly, a thick cloud of sulpherous smoke rises from the centre of the circle, accompanied by a hideous, unearthly wailing. The smoke billows out all around Heinrich and Julian, before dispersing to reveal a ghastly, tentacled abomination within the circle. Its misshapen hands pound the floor, its tentacles writhe and thrash in the air, and its single eye burns with the torments of the damned.

Make a fear test! [% roll against Cl]
If I wanted to.

Offline Finlay

• Members
  • C'mon Son
« Reply #214 on: June 08, 2012, 11:25:59 PM »
[50]

Pass the machete.

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #215 on: June 08, 2012, 11:33:41 PM »
[fear test passed]

Julian is shaken by the sudden appearance of a nameless squid-demon from another reality, but doesn't let it show. He's able to act normally.
If I wanted to.

Offline Cannonofdoom

• Members
« Reply #216 on: June 09, 2012, 12:11:28 AM »
[5]

HA! Take THAT!

If I'm still sane, I shoot it. Many times.

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #217 on: June 09, 2012, 12:15:53 AM »
[also passed, clearly!]

Heinrich has seen a lot of nasty things in his time. He's never seen anything like this before, except for that one time at the Nipponese restaurant in Marienburg... but he ate that meal anyway, and he's not scared of this thing either.

Heinrich can act normally.
If I wanted to.

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #218 on: June 09, 2012, 12:24:32 AM »
The demon looks surprised that no one is afraid of it. It pauses, as if trying to decide what to do. Heinrich already has his bow prepared, and shoots an arrow at it:

[To hit roll = 05, hits left arm. Damage roll = 4. S3+4-T5 = 2 wounds caused]

The arrow hits the monster in the arm, sinking into its gelatinous flesh and causing it some pain - it roars again, an oscillating sound that echoes maddeningly off the stone walls.

Julian is next to act.
If I wanted to.

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #219 on: June 09, 2012, 12:51:27 AM »
[meanwhile, back with Fandir and commandant at the tavern]

Klaus's stories have attracted the interest of a small number of tavern patrons, several of whom have offered to buy him drinks, before asking him questions about his high-born family and his exciting adventures. No one is interested in gambling though, despite Klaus's offers. Mortus watches with amusement.

It's starting to get dark outside, and there is still no sign of the sewer expedition's return. Four men enter the tavern that Mortus recognizes - it's the watch sergeant and his patrol who rescued her from the angry crowd earlier. The sergeant, now dressed in civilian clothing, sees her and raises his hand in greeting, before going to the bar to spend the money she gave him.

As the evening goes on, the street outside the window seems to take on an unearthly look. A thick fog is gathering, lit by unusually bright moonlight. Mortus goes to the window and looks up into the sky - as she thought, Morrslieb, the witch moon, is full tonight. But it should be a crescent at the moment. Something is wrong: the witch moon responds to unnatural forces, and a departure from the usual cycle is a strong indication of trouble. The other moon, Mannslieb, is nowhere to be seen.

"Looking at the moon, are ya," a blond man with a thin beard says, "funny, I heard a madman on Gottenplatz ranting about the moon this morning. He said the face of the moon would show the fate of the town, or some such rubbish. It don't look like nothing but a bright rock to me."
If I wanted to.

• Members
« Reply #220 on: June 09, 2012, 09:46:55 AM »
Klaus starts to feel guilty that he left the other two in the sewer alone and right now is tipsy enough to feel brave enough to go back down there....but should they be dead he wouldn´t want to go down there alone but Mortus is the daughter of a wine seller so no real help.

Several of the patrons listening to him might be able to join him on his trip down in the sewers as they might be drunk too on wine and on his stories of glory especially those guys that came in last. Klaus tries to gauge who he might convince to follow him and who also might be an actual help if there might be problems down there. After checking his chances he would like to call for silence...and proclaim that his friends are overdue so most likely they have found the monster and overpowered it and now have problems carrying it out of there so who would be up to come join him in helping them out. He will add that even helping to carry the beast will make it possible to call themselves Heroes of Bogenhafen, and the next round of drinks after the trip will be on Klaus again.

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #221 on: June 09, 2012, 10:49:44 AM »
Klaus needs to make an inspiring speech if he wants many people to follow him into the sewers... even to a drunk crowd, this is a hard thing to sell.

[Make a Ld test to see how successful you are. You can add 20% to your Ld for this roll because of your bribery skill (you are bribing them with potential glory, and also drinks). you may be able to modify your roll by another 10% if you use your luck... assuming it hasn't run out for the day.]
If I wanted to.

• Members
« Reply #222 on: June 09, 2012, 10:51:57 AM »
OOC: As I have not used my luck yet....now is the time....leadership...why leadership I suck at leadershipping! Well but ok with bribery and luck I might stand a chance....now to the roll.

.....damn.

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #223 on: June 09, 2012, 11:06:03 AM »
[You did use luck once, way back at the start of this thread... but in any case that roll sucks wombat balls.]

Klaus tries his best to motivate the crowd to follow him, but he doesn't make a very convincing leader. Only two people seem interested in joining him. One is a fat, sweaty man whose shirt is soaked with beer and seems to be having trouble standing upright. "Yeeeeaaah, I wanna go kill monstas inna sewer!" he slurrs, waving his tankard around like a club, "I'm Boris!"

The other is a short, skinny student - he's with a group of other students, who have been heckling Klaus all through his speech. As the speech finishes, one of them shoves the skinny student forward and says, "Max wants to be a hero!" The others laugh, and chant his name over and over, "Max, Max, Max!" Max himself, annoyed at being teased and filled with drunken bravado, pulls off his shirt and raises his arms triumphantly in the air. His ribs are visible under his skin, and look like a xylophone. "I'm with you!" he shouts in a reedy voice. His friends cheer enthusiastically.
If I wanted to.

• Members
« Reply #224 on: June 09, 2012, 11:19:15 AM »
Klaus doesn´t show his disappointment with a broad smile he leads his two other heroes (that will die a horrible death should we run into trouble) into the sewers. Inside fear cramps his stomach and only his guilt towards Heinrich and Julian that were pretty nice and decent so far and also showing off so much in the tavern leave him with no option but to go on with his farce.

"Mortos it was a pleasant talk but I guess I will take a look after the other two and see if they are allright. Baumann my good man I guess I might need your bath tub a second time so it better is prepared when I am back."

Is there any source of light here, lanterns or torches?
« Last Edit: June 09, 2012, 11:21:50 AM by Fandir Nightshade »