home

Author Topic: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]  (Read 637081 times)

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
« Reply #10425 on: January 03, 2017, 11:23:15 AM »
[Heinrich and Hans]

While they are talking, Heinrich and Hans see a young woman hurriedly nail a printed poster to a wall a little way down the street. Once she's finished, she glances nervously around her and then rushes away.
Hey, I could still beat up a woman!
If I wanted to.

Offline Sig

• Members
« Reply #10426 on: January 03, 2017, 11:27:07 AM »
"Yeah, night sounds good" says Hans. When he sees the woman, he raises an eyebrow at Heinrich and strolls over to investigate.

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #10427 on: January 03, 2017, 11:40:54 AM »
[Heinrich and Hans]

The poster looks to have been printed in a rush: its excitable block capitals are a little smudged. It reads:

MARIENBURG HAS BEEN STOLEN FROM THE PEOPLE!
DIRECTOR VAN DE KUYPERS RULES AS A TYRANT!
THERE IS NO JUSTICE FOR THE PEOPLE!
THE TYRANT MUST FALL! HE MUST CHOKE ON HIS STOLEN GOLD!
BE READY!
If I wanted to.

Offline Sig

• Members
« Reply #10428 on: January 03, 2017, 12:03:16 PM »
Hans sighs and shakes his head. "More Vrijbond stuff. True enough, but they haven't a prayer of anything changing." He sounds tired and a little sad. "One shiny guilder is worth more than any litany of prayers in this city. In any city. Nothing changes."

Hans goes back to watching Admund.

Offline Karl Voss of Averland

• Members
  • Captain of Loningbruck
« Reply #10429 on: January 04, 2017, 02:42:18 AM »
Admund, still in conversation with the men, "You mean to say, that they make you get up from your bed at the crack of dawn, haul gibbets and scraps in a cart all the way to Elftown, only to have some pointy eared shits take it from you AND THEN get the tips for it? That's absurd. I can't believe what them elves get away with sometimes..."

"You should slip some real rancid meat or put some shittin' milk in the shipment and give their stupid bloody ogre and the pets at the shop a bad case of the shits. Aye, I could have a nice cold beer taste colder in this summer heat just knowing some elf has an ogre with the bad case of the shits. Just the thought of one of them snooty elves mopping up a pet shop animals with the runs would be hilarious."

Admund laughs with the men.
I sexually violated the cat.  When we have children I will push harder for this time honored and enjoyable tradition

Remembering what Rufas started and endures in us all

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #10430 on: January 04, 2017, 10:12:44 PM »
[Heinrich and Hans]

Shortly after Hans stops looking at the poster, a watch patrol passes by. One of them points out the poster.

"That meant to be there, sergeant? Should we take it down?"

The sergeant approaches the poster and makes a great show of studying it. He nods sagely to himself. "That depends," he says at last, "if you think the ancient and honourable company of Watchmen was founded to go about clearing up bits of paper. If you think that's what the great men who established this mighty bulwark against criminality intended, then yes, we should take it down." He arches a sarcastic eyebrow at the unfortunate watchman. "But it seems to me, Denkers, that we have better things to do." With that, he marches off. The others follow, Denkers looking suitably chastened.
If I wanted to.

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #10431 on: January 04, 2017, 10:32:09 PM »
[Admund]

Leo laughs at Admund's suggestion. "Aye, that'd show them, right enough! I bet that ogre'd crap enough to fill a whole yard!" The apprentice laughs too: it's a heavy, dull sound that well fits its maker.

But the bearded man furrows his brow. "Maybe the elves are difficult customers. But their money's as good as anyone's. We all live under the same sky, and we might as well try to get along. There's no call to go stirring up trouble. Now, we've got deliveries to make. Come on, Leo." The bearded man glares at the apprentice. "As for you, boy: get back to work if you don't want the boss to catch you idling."

Leo and the bearded cart-man set off with the donkey cart, leaving Admund and the apprentice in the yard. The apprentice nods to Admund, then starts to walk slowly towards the slaughterhouse door.
If I wanted to.

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #10432 on: January 07, 2017, 10:50:58 PM »
[Mortus, Julian, Max, Ragni]

Neralon grins and raises his cup in response to Julian's remark about drinking.

When Julian talks about the necromancers in Middenheim, Max supplies some additional information. "The three were called Cassilda, Camilla and Aralldor. They were working together with human criminals and cultists, but they were also pursuing their own schemes. The most serious of these was to contact the spirit of an ancient necromancer known as the 'Doomlord of Middenheim.' I'm not sure if you've heard of him, but he raised a massive undead army over a thousand years ago. Um, this plan was very nearly successful - Cassilda was in the process of making a bargain with the Doomlord when she was slain." Max pauses. "As Sir Julian says, all of this was proved to the satisfaction of the Graf of Middenheim and his court,  but we had no evidence that could have been brought to Marienburg besides witness testimony." Neralon listens attentively, replying only with a slight nod of his head.

Julian hands Neralon the ring. The elf holds it in his fist, closing his eyes and concentrating. Mortus recognises that Neralon has at least some degree of magical skill and is using it to sense the item's properties.

"A ring that protects against the hazards of the open seas," he says. "Old work. An heirloom item. I believe that such a ring is among the attributes of the Lord of the Silver Isles... and, coincidentally-" he says this with an amused inflection in his voice "-the current lord has not been seen since around the time of your zombie encounter. Perhaps - for want of his ring - he ended up on the sea bottom."

He returns the ring to Julian. "As I said, the Silver Isles are lands belonging to Clan Lianllach. They are on the far western side of Ulthuan, and thus closer to the lands of the exiles. It is an open secret that there is trade between them. If the exiles were to infiltrate anywhere, that would be a good place to begin.

"But trade is one thing. The Silver Isles are remote and wild. There may have been times in the past when they were forced to trade with outposts of the exiles in order to survive. Such a relationship would naturally continue in better times. However, to directly collude with the exile's schemes... that I cannot believe. These incidents - the zombie attack, and the attempt to burn part of the fleet - do nothing to support Lianllach commercial aims. They work against them. There is already ill-will between the city and the elves. News of this would only make things worse.

"The explosive device you describe could be elven in origin. But anything we can make, the exiles can make also." Neralon sets down his empty cup with a thud. "Sir Julian, I am convinced that Lianllach have been infiltrated by the exiles, and I will say as much to my clan and to any of the others who will listen. But what we need now is irrefutable proof. And quickly, before the exiles make their next move."
If I wanted to.

Offline Finlay

• Members
  • C'mon Son
« Reply #10433 on: January 09, 2017, 10:47:28 AM »
"Neralon my biggest fear is that the clan is totally controlled by the exiles, not just some infiltration.
My treatment in your city today made me think the first was true. But perhaps it was the pride and arrogance of the ambassador that made him so dismissive of my claims, and not that he had turned.

If you feel that parts of Lianllach are still working towards their normal commercial aims then I am partly reassured.
They might even help us if we can offer them proof and the chance to keep it private. I'm sure if it was widely known they had been infiltrated, their standing amongst both the elves of your city and the other residents here would fall.

I have a tip that there is likely some evidence of this infiltration upon the boat that the owner of this ring arrived in Marienburg upon. We believe it also carried the three necromancers slain in Middenheim.

My friends are planning to search the ship, but even gaining access to elftown is troublesome for us. And there is an ogre guard to concern ourselves with."
I don't care about the rules.

Pass the machete.

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #10434 on: January 09, 2017, 11:55:27 AM »
[Heinrich, Hans, Admund]

As the apprentice walks away, Admund hears someone says, "I thought I knew that voice!" Turning, he sees that the door from the shop into the courtyard has opened, and a man has stepped through it. He's a large, middle-aged man with a ruddy complexion and thin brown hair. He's dressed all in white. Admund [and Hans, who can see him from across the street] recognises him as being one of the people who was attacked by zombies a few days ago. The man fought the zombies with particular enthusiasm.

"One of my saviours from that attack by the dead!" He grins, his eyes friendly, and offers a thick-fingered hand to shake. "I didn't catch your name, sir, but mine is Groenewoud. Owner of this shop. Have you come to buy something? I'd be pleased to give you a fine selection of meat as thanks for your brave deed. Come through into the shop!" He gestures towards the shop door.
If I wanted to.

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #10435 on: January 09, 2017, 04:58:49 PM »

Neralon's expression is unreadable. "I feel sure we would know if the exiles controlled Clan Lianllach. We could not be so fooled again." He sounds as though he would like to convince himself that that is true.

"Once there is proof, all of Elftown will unite to destroy the exile intruders. This is beyond politics. Prideful as Liallach is, they will not deny reality."

When Julian speaks of the tip about evidence aboard a ship, he says, "An ogre guard. So the ship is at the Race the Winds yard." He is silent for a moment, and then says, "if there was truly evidence there, I would not hesitate to retrieve it... but if there was not, and I was discovered... that would be difficult.

"I should be pleased to assist you, but in a... facilitating role. You know about the boat patrols and the ogre, but do you know of the magical defences around Elftown? There are elemental spirits in the water that keep watch against intruders. I can give you a token that will pacify them. I can also arrange for the ogre to be sleeping deeply when you arrive. I can even redirect the patrol boats for long enough for you to get into the shipyard and out again. In return, I would like to see any evidence you find first, before you take it to anyone else."
If I wanted to.

Offline Finlay

• Members
  • C'mon Son
« Reply #10436 on: January 11, 2017, 10:31:36 AM »
I also believe that I cannot personally be involved in going to the shipyard. After all if you were already aware what I was investigating, then who else is within elftown.
Might you be able to offer any protection if my men ARE caught? I have no experience with elvish legal matters.

We were not aware of the water magic. I do not think we could do this without your help so I accept your terms. If you think Llanliach are infiltrated and not entirely controlled we could then try again to resolve the matter privately.

Pass the machete.

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #10437 on: January 11, 2017, 04:16:18 PM »

Neralon nods. "It is for the best that you do not go yourself. Your presence would be viewed as an extreme provocation - not only because you are the agent of the Graf, but, yes, because you are a dwarf.

"I assume that your men are skilled at this sort of work. If they are, then my assistance will ensure that the operation goes smoothly. However-" he shrugs fatalistically "-fortune is sometimes unkind. I will arrange for a watch to be kept on the shipyard, ready to intervene if needed. I believe we will be able to cover an escape. If any of them are caught, matters are more complicated. The most I can say is that I would hope to save them from execution.

"The elementals are not common knowledge. The worry is that the people of Marienburg would be alarmed if they knew about them." He grins. "You are fortunate that my clan is especially skilled at magic. I will send someone to you with the token. You can tell him the time you intend to send your men to the shipyard, so that I can plan accordingly."

He offers his hand to shake on the deal. "A private resolution would be the best for all concerned. I've enjoyed this meeting, Sir Julian. Now, do you have any further questions?"
If I wanted to.

• Members
  • Captain of Loningbruck
« Reply #10438 on: January 12, 2017, 05:14:34 PM »
Admund laughs with the other men. He forces it to be a hearty laugh to match the laughs of Leo and the apprentice. Acting funny to get along with dimwits and scoundrels, old tricks from his days in the militia. His laugh trails off as the bearded man starts into his lecture.

Admund scratches his head, a bit shocked by the normality of the delivery man. "Aye, 'suppose your righ, mate. Though, I don't fancy having to bend over to 'get along' with them elves..."

He nods at the men, and gives a friendly 'well met' to the men as they depart.

He turns to meet the ruddy man, and returns a friendly handshake to the man's soft pudgy hand."Ah, Herr Groenewould. Yes, you fought well that day. I've heard a lot about you. We were just in Elftown and we heard about your shop."

"I'd love a tour if you've got the time, Herr Groenewould."
I sexually violated the cat.  When we have children I will push harder for this time honored and enjoyable tradition

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #10439 on: January 14, 2017, 12:52:43 PM »
[Admund]

"I am not a fighting man, in general," Groenewoud tells Admund, "but I am in the habit of carrying my carving knives around with me, and it seems that my knife-skills work on more than just animals." He laughs. "Even so, I would have been dead if if hadn't have been for you and your friends. Come through into the shop!"

He leads Admund into the shop. He's already seen it through the windows on the street-front: a huge variety of meat and fish are displayed on crushed ice. The room is chilly as a result. The serving boy wears furs to keep him warm. Groenewoud waves absently at the boy, who immediately pours two cups of hot, spiced ale from kettle. Groenewoud takes them, offering one to Admund. "This is the shop-front, where I keep samples of everything I sell. Through that door-" he indicates a heavy oak door "-is the storage locker, where the rest of the inventory is kept. It's colder than this room, and rather crowded, so I will not bore you with it. Upstairs is simply the office.

"I'm gratified that you heard talk of my business in Elftown. I should very much like to have customers there - I supply my goods to some of the most exclusive inns and the best households, but thus far the elves have shown no interest. Ah, except for the offal orders for some of their animals.

"All of the beasts this meat came from are brought in alive and slaughtered on the premises. I believe this is important, since it means my goods are as fresh as they can be. The slaughterhouse is just across the yard there. It's a bloody, noisy place, naturally, but if you are interested I will be glad to show you.

"Either way, I insist that you take some of my products away with you, as a token of my thanks to you and your friends. What would you prefer? Sausages? Steak? Poultry? Fish? Choose anything you like."
If I wanted to.

• Members
  • Captain of Loningbruck
« Reply #10440 on: January 16, 2017, 01:25:28 PM »
"Aye, well I'm thankful you had those knives you. Your knives did work on more than just animals, though undead meat might not sell very quickly!" Admund jokes. "That was a strange day that could have gone from bad to worse."

"If you insist, and thank you for your kindness. I'll take some fish. I've been inland in Middenheim for quite some time, and fresh fish are hard to find there."

"I wouldn't mind seeing the slaughterhouse. I met one of the apprentices earlier, good lad, he seems."

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #10441 on: January 17, 2017, 02:57:50 PM »
[Admund]

"Only fish?" Groenewoud says. "I stock them because there is demand, but to my taste they are - what's the word? - rather too light. They lack body, substance. Fish are mindless things. But a cow - or better yet, a boar - those are beasts with character. You can taste their experiences in their flesh. Come through to the slaughterhouse and I'll show you what I mean."

When Admund mentions the apprentice, Groenewoud sneers slightly. "Bram? That boy is lazy and stupid. But he does have one very useful trait - not a mental one, needless to say. He's extremely large and strong, which makes him ideally suited to the slaughtering business. There are heavy bodies to move around, and - sometimes - they fight back!" He laughs.

Groenewoud opens the door into the slaughterhouse and shows Admund in. It is a single large room, windowless and thick-walled. A door at the far end presumably goes to a loading dock on the canal. Close by is a trap door in the floor, leading to a cellar. Rows of carcasses - cows, pigs, sheep, goats and various birds - hang from the ceiling on hooks. A set of wooden pens along one wall are used for slaughtering. Channels in the floor allow the blood to run off into drains. Various blocks and tables, complete with knives, saws and hammers, are ready for reducing different types of animals into meat.

Bram the apprentice is carving a carcass. He looks up as they enter, absently wiping a bloody hand across his chest. Groenewoud tells him to get on with his work. Groenewoud then explains the sights of the room to Admund, talking at length about the many cuts of meat and their individual virtues.
If I wanted to.

• Members
  • Captain of Loningbruck
« Reply #10442 on: January 18, 2017, 06:48:37 PM »
Admund will nod along and look around as Groenewoud speaks. He eyes the cellar door for a moment, then the drains built into the floor.

"All right, Herr Groenewoud, you've convinced me." Admund points to a carcass he is sure belongs to an animal. "Some roast boar sounds quite nice. Any tricks on preparing it?"

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #10443 on: January 19, 2017, 11:31:32 AM »
[Admund]

Admund can't see anything suspicious in this room, but he has a very strong feeling that something horrible is close at hand. He knows to trust these instincts.

Groenewoud grins, mouth gaping, sharp eyes fixed on Admund's. "You won't be disappointed. The boar should be rare - too much cooking destroys the texture - and in a sauce with red wine and redcurrants." He looks over at his apprentice, calling his name abruptly. "Bram. Cut a prime joint of boar for this gentleman and wrap it up. Now, boy!"

He watches the apprentice cut the meat, and personally gives the package to Admund when it's done. Then, he says, "I have just finished a batch of sausages - a new recipe I'm extremely proud of. Will you take a dozen of those too?"
If I wanted to.

• Members
  • Captain of Loningbruck
« Reply #10444 on: January 19, 2017, 05:12:04 PM »
"Thank you, Herr Groenewoud." Admund says, taking the package and tucking it under his arm. " You  must spoil your patrons too much." Admund eyes Groenewoud back, his usual steeled gaze hiding his true feelings. The feeling in his gut warns him of danger.

He rests his hand casually on his belt, hooking just the thumb through as he talks, only inches away from his sword should he need to draw it. "If you recommend it, I'd be happy to try a few links. You're quite the experimental butcher, it seems. Good mix of the old way and the new, eh?"

Offline Finlay

• Members
  • C'mon Son
« Reply #10445 on: January 19, 2017, 10:51:54 PM »
"Thank you Neralon. There is no point wasting any time, we will act as soon as we can to thwart the exiles plans" Julian will shake the elves hand, and then head back to their inn,

Pass the machete.

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #10446 on: January 19, 2017, 11:59:26 PM »
[Admund]

"Oh, I value my customers," Groenewoud says, "they're the lifeblood of my business: the blood must keep flowing. I know you'll enjoy that boar."

He looks delighted that Admund has agreed to take the sausages too. "Experimental! Yes, that's just it! That's it exactly. I find that unusual combinations lead to fascinating results." He goes over to a pile of sausages on a bench, beside a sausage-filling machine, and wraps a dozen of them up. He hands this to Admund too. "Do enjoy them. Some of my customers have found them surprisingly compelling. They just can't stop eating them."

Admund has the slight suspicion that Groenewoud knows he suspects him... and he doesn't care. This is a man of such monstrous arrogance that he believes he can get away with anything.

"I must get back to work now," Groenewoud says, escorting Admund back into the courtyard. "I've enjoyed your visit. Come again!" With that, he goes into the shop and leaves Admund alone.
If I wanted to.

Offline commandant

• Members
« Reply #10447 on: January 20, 2017, 05:59:10 PM »
Mortus walks quietly beside Julian, turning over what she heard in her mind

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #10448 on: January 21, 2017, 02:19:32 PM »

"Excellent," Neralon says. "My agent will meet you soon to finalize matters. Good luck with your venture." He bows, then leaves. Julian, Mortus, Max and Ragni return to the Salted Salmon to await the return of the others.
If I wanted to.

• Members
  • Captain of Loningbruck
« Reply #10449 on: January 21, 2017, 02:45:50 PM »
Admund's fingers flex as Groenewould turns to get the sausages. He briefly entertains the idea of drawing his sword, his brain already working out the footwork and steps he'd have to take to handle Bram. It plays through his mind like a script being read.

But he lets it go, as Groenewould turns back. Damn him. thinks Admund. The high purpose of dealing with the elves stays his blade.

"Thank you for your time, Herr Groenewould, you are most generous." Admund says, his cold eyes unchanged since he first walked into the place.

He departs around the corner pondering what has occurred, and heads down the street to find Hans and Heinrich.