home

Author Topic: Great Weapons vs Lances?  (Read 6263 times)

Offline Hieronymus

• Members
Great Weapons vs Lances?
« on: October 06, 2012, 09:42:18 AM »
This has been something that I have been thinking about a bit over the last few days; if you take a big Knight unit, is it better to have Greatweapons or Lances?

The example in my current list would be 12 Inner Circle Knights (with Arch Lector and BSB). By default I went for the Lances and Shields, as I thought that  "1+ with a parry after the first round that's pretty ok", but I've recently been thinking, "Would a 2+ save, with a S6 attack be much worse?".

To be perfectly clear - this block is not actually a combat block, unless my opponent is S3.

I'm vacillating on this issue, and I was wondering if any of you had any insights into which was better. At the moment, I find myself leaning towards Greatweapons, especially when combined with the Arch Lector buffs. At only I3, I'm not convinced that I'll be missing out on much, and to be honest, the troops that usually go for Greatweapons, tend to have even lower initiative anyway, so I'll still be going before them.

Any thoughts/math-hammer/anecdotes would be appreciated. I could just play a couple of practice games I suppose, but it's always good to ask as well I find!
Check the Imperial Office to read my Warhammer vignettes - all feedback gratefully received.

Latest: Dark Resurrection

Offline Fidelis von Sigmaringen

• Members
  • Attorney-at-RAW
Re: Great Weapons vs Lances?
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2012, 09:47:22 AM »
There are a number of previous threads on this issue. The general conclusion one can draw from those seems to be that it depends on which adversary you are facing. Note that mounted models do not get the parry save from HW & shield.
It is not enough to have no ideas of your own; you must also be incapable of expressing them.
Sex, lies and manuscripts: The History of the Empire as Depicted in the Art of the Time (10/07/16)

Offline Hieronymus

• Members
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2012, 09:58:45 AM »
I did look back a bit, but I confess I didn't look that hard.

You do get a 5+ ward from the AL on a bound Lvl3, which is pretty good if you can get it off.

I'll look back through the Forum, wasn't sure if there was one that dealt with the new Empire and 8th, so I thought I'd just post.

Thanks for your response.
Check the Imperial Office to read my Warhammer vignettes - all feedback gratefully received.

Offline Noght

• Members
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2012, 02:45:47 PM »
The choice is this:

1+ Armor Save, Str 6 on the charge, Str 4 round 2 vs  2+ Armor Save, Str 6 ASL.

Min/Max says take the Lances.  Fluff says take what you want.  I have 13 old White Wolf Knights that I've been using because I like how they look.
"...the most incorrigible vice being that of an ignorance which fancies it knows everything..."  Camus.

Offline Lord Solar Plexus

• Members
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2012, 05:45:07 PM »
Both are useful. For ICK I personally recommend lances, since S4 is already relatively good. Of course 12 ICK are a combat unit - they're your hammer, to decide a combat in which a block holds someone in place.

Hammer Knights are very good to do the job of said infantry block themselves, especially against S3. Ini 3 isn't anything to write home about but it has the advantage that it can much more easily be boosted, for example when you're fighting a monster.

Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of Congress; but I repeat myself. - S. Clemens

www.tablepott.de - Wir sind das Ruhrgebiet!
www.rheinerftliga.haarrrgh.de

Offline TCWarroom

• Members
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2012, 05:56:17 PM »
I think lances but there is no parry from horseback. 1+ is too good to pass up.

Offline Hieronymus

• Members
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2012, 06:32:57 PM »
Interesting, Lances seem to be the prevalent opinion.

Just checked the BRB, can't find anything say Cavalry can't use parry saves - where are you getting that from? Is it an FAQ?

I've also got two units of Demigryphs and a Steam Tank in this list. I've still got a few things to smash people up with.

I suppose it entirely depends about who I would match it up against. I3 is fairly weak.

My understand is: If you have troops that have low initiative (by that I mean I2 and below), they strike last anyway, so might as well give them Greatweapons. I think that throwing in Empire knights against high s units is probably not a good idea anyway, so they are there to grind out hordes of fairly unimposing units. You've got the AL there for prayers, which granted, you might not get off, but are still a one-dice (risky) cast, and that's better. 

I'll have to think on it some more. I'll post my list if anyone has any one thinks that is germane.

• Members
  • Attorney-at-RAW
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2012, 06:44:03 PM »
BRB p.88:
As a final caveat, the parry save cannot be claimed by Frenzied warriors - they're far too bonkers to think overmuch about their own personal safety - nor can it be used by mounted models.
It is not enough to have no ideas of your own; you must also be incapable of expressing them.
Sex, lies and manuscripts: The History of the Empire as Depicted in the Art of the Time (10/07/16)

Offline Hieronymus

• Members
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2012, 06:58:34 PM »
Wow, I read that exact paragraph and completely glossed over that. Whoops.

Thanks for pointing it out!

+1 for Greatweapons!

• Members
  • Attorney-at-RAW
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2012, 07:01:14 PM »
Wow, I read that exact paragraph and completely glossed over that. Whoops.

Do not worry: it happens to the best of us. Why, it even happens to me!  :icon_wink:

Offline matt217th

• Members
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2012, 07:19:41 PM »
I prefer Lances, another vote for the +1 save.  Even against a high I army, lances would still be favoured as the increased save means more will survive to hit back.
I am Catholic. Purgatory is the best I can hope for, in this and the next life.

Offline Quickbeam

• Members
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2012, 08:56:20 PM »
The only time I use lances is against dwarves and lizardmen because i have initiative on them!
“An army of principles will penetrate where an army of soldiers cannot.”
― Thomas Paine

Offline zifnab0

• Members
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2012, 09:24:59 PM »
I like lances because I think they look better.

I usually run a unit of 10 with greatweapons because they're painted.

• Members
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2012, 09:42:00 PM »
My understand is: If you have troops that have low initiative (by that I mean I2 and below), they strike last anyway, so might as well give them Greatweapons.

What do you mean? You don't have I2 troops.

The thing is, you cannot look at this unit in a vacuum. Both Light and Shadow are very popular lores with Empire players, and incidentally both have spells that affect initiative. Such spells are wasted on ASL units but can make a huge difference in other cases. And not everyone is steadfast: The monsters I mentioned aren't, chariots, characters, remnants with few remaining ranks...
Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of Congress; but I repeat myself. - S. Clemens

Offline Hieronymus

• Members
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2012, 06:39:49 AM »
My understand is: If you have troops that have low initiative (by that I mean I2 and below), they strike last anyway, so might as well give them Greatweapons.

What do you mean? You don't have I2 troops.

Sorry, I had to recheck the ASL rules, I was working off the assumption that if you were fighting a low Initiative unit, if they could have greatweapons they would, i.e. Dwarfs, so you'd be striking before them anyway at I3. Ofc that's not the rule, you strike simultaneously, so the point is moot. Not, 'The Moot' - no Halflings here.

The thing is, you cannot look at this unit in a vacuum. Both Light and Shadow are very popular lores with Empire players, and incidentally both have spells that affect initiative. Such spells are wasted on ASL units but can make a huge difference in other cases. And not everyone is steadfast: The monsters I mentioned aren't, chariots, characters, remnants with few remaining ranks...

I agree, although my Level 4 uses Lore of Fire in this list.

Offline TheBelgianGuy

• Members
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2012, 10:00:16 AM »
For me it doesn't matter whatsoever.
I'm that guy who manages to miss with every knight but wounds once with the horses.
I'm that guy who when he has to make 4 armour saves on his lance&shield knights, throws 3x 1's.

I dunno why, but my knights are completely cursed.
Though I must say with a little help of regrowth, they do hold up an enemy unit for the entire game. I just wish they could do it on their own  :cry:

I3 is fairly weak.
I hate this part about warhammer. A 3 on a statistic is supposed to be human, or 'average'. If that's true, why are there so many units with T4 yet so few with T2? Why is a human as squishy as a goblin? It seems like 90% of the warhammer world is above average... and I don't like it!

Offline mr chumley warner

• Members
  • Ninth Age , paint everything, Metal Only !
« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2012, 11:37:43 AM »
This style topic has run a few times, I always concluded Lances!

The 1+ AS is crucial in ensuring your knights last out their opponent in combat.

:eusa_wall:
Ask yourself , what is real? 5 sense filtered reality is a very limited perspective.

Offline Darknight

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
  • Dipped in Magic, Clothed in Science
« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2012, 10:13:21 PM »
A stat of 3 is not "human " or "average"; it is "human average". There is a big difference. Goblins are as tough as humans are - goblinoid physiology? Orcs are tougher than humans although not any stronger.

I don't know about 90%, but a lot of the universe being better than humans is a standard fantasy trope.
Completed Projects | History of Ophelia VII

Quote from: PhillyT
Everyone finds their balance between satisfaction and obsession.

Offline Quickbeam

• Members
« Reply #18 on: October 08, 2012, 01:50:18 AM »

I don't know about 90%, but a lot of the universe being better than humans is a standard fantasy trope.
Well then screw fantasy! I'm gonna go play Warhammer Ancient Battles...... oh wait...... GW killed that too  :cry:
― Thomas Paine

Offline MrDWhitey

• Members
« Reply #19 on: October 08, 2012, 01:58:48 AM »

Well then screw fantasy! I'm gonna go play Warhammer Ancient Battles...... oh wait...... GW killed that too  :cry:

I feed on your tears.

WAB needed to go, it offended me.

+1 for Lances.
I thought he should act responsibly and just kill himself.

Offline Quickbeam

• Members
« Reply #20 on: October 08, 2012, 02:29:27 AM »

I feed on your tears.

WAB needed to go, it offended me.

+1 for Lances.
Why?  :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
« Last Edit: October 08, 2012, 03:49:34 AM by Quickbeam »
― Thomas Paine

Offline The Peacemaker

• Members
  • Baron Karl von Balombine of Wissenland
« Reply #21 on: October 08, 2012, 03:25:46 AM »
For me it doesn't matter whatsoever.
I'm that guy who manages to miss with every knight but wounds once with the horses.
I'm that guy who when he has to make 4 armour saves on his lance&shield knights, throws 3x 1's.

I dunno why, but my knights are completely cursed.
Though I must say with a little help of regrowth, they do hold up an enemy unit for the entire game. I just wish they could do it on their own  :cry:

And then you roll double 6's on a break test >:/
And then you give up and decide to play a horde army and start rolling 30dice and achieve 2 wounds and then your like >:/

I hate this part about warhammer. A 3 on a statistic is supposed to be human, or 'average'. If that's true, why are there so many units with T4 yet so few with T2? Why is a human as squishy as a goblin? It seems like 90% of the warhammer world is above average... and I don't like it!
Fantasy has a few different types of goblins. I know the lord of the rings goblins were roughly the size of a human, while other fantasy genre's have goblins as smaller.
For Wissenland and the Countess!!!

My Painting Blog
My Entire Gallery

Offline Uryens de Crux

• Members
« Reply #22 on: October 08, 2012, 07:30:52 AM »
goblins and orcs were the first to benefit from the infamous "power creep" of 4th and 5th ed i think.

they werent that tough in 1st-3rd

anyway, Lances all the way. you can swing a greatsword from horseback and it looks silly.
We go to gain a little patch of ground that hath in it no profit but the name.
The Free Company of Solland

The Barony of Wusterburg

• Members
« Reply #23 on: October 08, 2012, 08:25:10 AM »
Hieronymus, I wish to repeat what I said before: Both Great Weapons and Lances have merit. The former are a viable option whenever you expect a grind while the latter mean the unit is designed for the decisive charge. Inner Circle are kind of a mixed bad because they already have S4 so they can often fulfill either role with lances.

Offline csjarrat

• Members
« Reply #24 on: October 08, 2012, 11:19:23 AM »
There is a role for both, small units for flanking are better with lances as they are more survivable and will remain effective for longer.
Large units of ICK with characters are a proper fighty unit, i load mine up with GW. Hopefully i can get the oriest to cast his 5++ spell on them to offset the drop in AS
Compared to the state troops they are a gentle handjob on a friday evening - jaggedjimmyj in ref to knights