home

Author Topic: b0007452's Army of Bogenhafen  (Read 23247 times)

Offline b0007452

• Members
Re: b0007452's Army of Bogenhafen
« Reply #25 on: March 27, 2013, 12:11:23 AM »
Darknight - Cheers bro, They'll be up soon. I'm fairly sure you won't be dissapointed with yours either.

DariusZero - Yeh Raging Heroes. It's another manufacturer that makes some really nice 28mm female human models (Closer to 30mm). They really are quite detailed, just a little pricey.

Their site: http://www.ragingheroes.com/

GamesPoet - Thanks buddy, I can feel myself constantly improving with each model I paint as well so as a long term project this is going to be quite satisfying.

Houndmaster - Cheers pal, I got the inspiration from Tiny's thread on here to change the purple from a lilac. As for the wine I'm going to try and do a freehand banner based around that sometime in the future.

Anyway I'm currently beginning work on a unit of Handgunners and have been hunting around here for some great examples. Feel free to post any links in here if you have some personal favourites. Work is slow at the minute as I'm splitting it between my dissertation and gym work but I'm slowly getting there. I have one of my best mates coming around tomorrow to look at his Ogres for the first time in at least 4 years and he's just bought a Stonehorn which we're quite excited to put together. Also have a mate taking another crack at his Dwarves later in the week as we're looking to build a table for the summer and get a couple of the others of our group involved. All in all it should be very exciting and I'll keep you guys updated with as much of it as I can.

I'll soon upload a 1000Pt army list to see what you guys think and how you think the army looks on the table.

Thanks, Jimmy
:) My Slowly Growing Army of Bogenhafen - http://warhammer-empire.com/theforum/index.php?topic=44020 :)

Offline DariusZero

• Members
  • I'm a non native speaker from Mars and I bite.
« Reply #26 on: March 27, 2013, 08:27:28 AM »
Thanx for reply, but I allready knew that, I just wanted to express my impatience of actually seeing their minis in the daylight so to speak, they are difficult to be seen on internet outside their official web site.

:::cheers:::
One of the big wigs... once told them "If a household doesn't have an income of $70,000, we don't consider them a GW target customer."
MyEmpireBlog: http://warhammer-empire.com/theforum/index.php?topic=33477.0

Offline Noble Korhedron

• Members
  • Empire General
    • www.facebook.com/rtedders
« Reply #27 on: May 07, 2013, 03:39:48 PM »
Vincenzo disgusts me, but your painting is very good, even if it's not quite 'Eavy Metal material..... :)

Also, how exactly were the swordsmen made? Which parts are from which kits....?

Offline b0007452

• Members
« Reply #28 on: May 27, 2013, 03:44:30 PM »
DariusZero - Oh right haha, my bad. Well I'll be honest I haven't done anything other than look at them thus far, despite my willingness to do so. Pretty hectic IRL at the minute. Was writing a dissertation throughout April, finished University of May 1st and have just started working night shifts full time at a hotel.... so yeh Warhammer is a little on the backfoot. They will come this summer though I promise, that's not too tight of a timescale haha.

NobleKorhedron - Haha, he disgusts me too. I also agree about my painting however what I do like is that despite the minimal amount of models I've currently painted I can see consistent improvement and it's giving me the confidence to attempt newer and more ambitious techniques. I also take solace in the fact that all painters start somewhere and that with the help of the other members of the forum I might one day be a great painter myself. It's all part of a learning process so I appreciate your kind comments.

Anyway they're amazingly simple to make. They're Men-At-Arms bodies and shields with trimmed State Troop sword arms, then a mixture of Empire and Bret heads. My biggest regret with them is using so many of the Brettonian heads; I need to make around 12-15 more so I imagine they'll have a mixture of Empire heads.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Anyway as for recent developments in terms of painting there have been very few. I'm about 50% finished on 15 Handgunners. I've tried a couple of different techniques like painting from a grey undercoat rather than black, I'll have to see if this play dividence in the final result. I have a few other projects lined up for after the Handgunners, primarily my Pleasent Surprises VI gift.

Nevertheless I have invested in some MDF boards and a couple of pieces of scenery which me and my friends have started to turn into a gaming table. Me and my Ogre playing pal have managed two games so far, one at 1000Pts and another at 1500Pts. We've been familiarising ourselves with the rules and stuff seems to be going well so far. A couple of mistakes here and there but for the most part nothing too drastic.

As I have the night off I'm going to attempt to break my Battle Chronicler virginity and create a couple of Battle Reports so you guys can help evaluate the games. For now I'd love some advice on using Battle Chronicler if anyone has any?

Thanks guys.

:) My Slowly Growing Army of Bogenhafen - http://warhammer-empire.com/theforum/index.php?topic=44020 :)

Offline Darknight

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
  • Dipped in Magic, Clothed in Science
« Reply #29 on: May 27, 2013, 05:12:38 PM »
Darius, mate! Sorry, forgot about this thread.

Just shot some quick-and-dirty pictures of the girls (which arrived a couple of weeks ago, all the way from Languedoc - I would make a joke, but only Fidelis and perhaps Mathi would get it). Click for larger image;

They are really, really nice models - lovely sculpting, and they go together like a dream. Minor flash. Very characterful models indeed. As B0007452 said, there are lots of extra bits (I've used the flamberge to convert up a Greatsword - which is why the piece is not there!)

The footwomen I am going to use in my next project - they won't be for my main army (as they are very clearly "Germanic Imperial" which doesn't fit with my Border Prince / Greek expy army) pretty much "as is". I'm going to convert the horsewoman to a Pegasus Captain; she's got a lot of sun motifs on which are perfect for Blazing Sun - so she'll be an allied officer. I've converted her very slightly - repositioned the shield arm so it is slightly more angled down.

Nice models, a little spendy, but worth it, I think.
Completed Projects | History of Ophelia VII

Quote from: PhillyT
Everyone finds their balance between satisfaction and obsession.

Offline b0007452

• Members
« Reply #30 on: January 07, 2014, 11:03:51 PM »
So it's been 7 or 8 months since I last updated my PLog. A lot has happened in that time. I finished university, moved back home, got a job, found a better job, graduated with a First :engel: broke up with my girlfriend of 4 years :icon_sad: had a car crash and a generally pretty up/down end to 2013.

In amongst everything I guess Warhammer wasn't a priority but nevertheless last summer I managed to get 5 or 6 battles in while my friends were home from university, this is the most regularly I've had games since I was 12 or 13 and what was better is that now as adults we seemed to enjoy it more and play with a more relaxed atmosphere. Nothing beats casting Final Transmutation on a Gutstar while sipping a cold Peroni :::cheers:::

However I want to gradually introduce a little bit more painting to my life again, I'm trying to do 2 or 3 hours a week. What helped me was the commitment I made to be a part of the Pleasant Surprise event and so I had a responsibility to at least finish my gift.

My recipient was InvaderZim who collects an Ostland themed force. I initially wanted to create a small diorama of a shepherd and cattle. I hunted around for appropriate models and while I could find a family of farmers including a 'milking-maiden' I couldn't really find the animals I wanted and it went down the drain. Then 1 day I was looking through Hasslefree's site for a couple of mini's for myself and I found 1 that I thought might work as my gift. A fighter with a horned helm, sword and shield with a bull motif... Perfect :icon_mrgreen:

Lapzig Uberkruger

So I chucked him in a box with some homemade special rules and sweets and InvaderZim got a late Christmas present.

Now onto my own models and I've got 10 Handgunners 50% done and the same with 5 Hasslefree Minis. Hopefully they wont take me another 7/8 Months :blush:

Offline b0007452

• Members
« Reply #31 on: April 20, 2014, 11:16:02 AM »
So again it's been a while since I updated. I did my fair share of painting while at university, but I graduated a year ago and just can't find as much time alongside work to paint. A little disappointing really. Either way I have a couple of units very close to completion and as I wanted to post an update I have a couple of minis to upload.

Free Company - Champion & Musician

These are both Hasslefree minis and really represent the kind of rag-tag pub brawlers I'm hoping the final unit will be. It's not my best work and to be honest I really struggled to paint that much skin realistically, CJP's blog features a really great example of the big bruiser with a bunch of tattoos but I don't think I quite have the ability to try that.

I appreciate any advice regarding that? Nevertheless it's nice to have a couple more minis finished and hopefully it will inspire me to finish the handgunners I've done about 75% of.

« Last Edit: April 27, 2014, 08:51:56 PM by b0007452 »

Offline b0007452

• Members
« Reply #32 on: April 27, 2014, 08:01:53 PM »
For the first time in about a year I'm going to have updated my PLog twice in a week. Have a few more models to show at the minute:

- One is a converted Flagellant carrying a lance. He's eventually going to go alongside a unit filler in my Free Company, holding the weapon of an old knight.
- One is a Free Company Man/Swordsman armed with a hammer. I think he's an old DoW figure but not sure. He's stood in as a Captain/Warrior Priest in a couple of my battles recently.
- Then finally there is Rex, the bulldog from the Konigsmark sisters set by Raging Heroes. Really characterful mini and he's going to be the Standard Bearer for my Town Guard Swordsmen. He'll have a a little fluff too.

Here is all three:

Just the Free Company (Lance Bearer):

The guy with the hammer. To be either a Free Company ruffian or a member of my to-be mercenary Swordsman.

Rex the faithful hound, mascot of the Bogenhafen town-guard.

Then finally a few Prayer/Spell markers. On the left is Miasma that von Trott usually brings to the fray, followed by the 3 prayers. Really simple to put together but helpful when it comes to a game.

So next up is the aforementioned Handgunners, then maybe a few more individual models.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2014, 08:52:17 PM by b0007452 »

Offline Darknight

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
  • Dipped in Magic, Clothed in Science
« Reply #33 on: April 28, 2014, 01:15:27 AM »
Great looking models!

With regard to tattoos - I have seen people do excellent work with a very fine dark blue technical pen. Also, you can get waterslide transfer sheets of tattoos, also.
Completed Projects | History of Ophelia VII

Quote from: PhillyT
Everyone finds their balance between satisfaction and obsession.

Offline Zak

• Members
  • Mad Viking
    • Mad Viking
« Reply #34 on: April 28, 2014, 01:03:51 PM »
 :::cheers:::
Yes I'm dyslexic so what

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #35 on: April 28, 2014, 01:20:14 PM »
I really like the dog with the hat!
Hey, I could still beat up a woman!
If I wanted to.

Offline Kelhaim von Horst

• Members
« Reply #36 on: April 28, 2014, 02:50:49 PM »
Lovely Swordsmen, the shields are done well.

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #37 on: June 26, 2014, 09:54:42 AM »
Roderigo Delmonte

Captain of the Alcatani Fellowship Dogs of War unit.

Great model, one of my favourites...
Quote from: Gneisenau
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.

Offline Fidelis von Sigmaringen

• Members
  • Attorney-at-RAW
« Reply #38 on: June 26, 2014, 11:28:45 AM »
The man from Delmonte, he says "yes".
It is not enough to have no ideas of your own; you must also be incapable of expressing them.
Sex, lies and manuscripts: The History of the Empire as Depicted in the Art of the Time (10/07/16)

Offline b0007452

• Members
« Reply #39 on: June 26, 2014, 08:35:35 PM »
Cheers for the positive feedback guys :smile2:

Also thanks for the info on the model, I've noticed mine has a different arm and a pistol attached but he is a great mini. Some really well painted versions on Google that put mine to shame.

I have actually finished 12 Handgunners and done absolutely loads of scenery. Played our first game of the summer last Saturday too so will update soon I hope! Just need time to take photos! :engel:

Offline b0007452

• Members
« Reply #40 on: November 30, 2014, 10:17:32 PM »
Hi All,

Unfortunately it's been a long time since the last update to my PLog. I've moved house, got a new girlfriend, the football season has restarted and a few other things in general have cropped up, but I've still been doing a little hobbying and I've still been around on the forum.

So here's an update. Firstly I've finished another unit... Finally. Here are 12/13 Handgunners.

I'm not 100% happy with them but I feel they're good enough. I tried to paint from a grey undercoat and I wasn't overly keen. Either way I only ever chuck a unit of 10 in my list to clear chaff and babysit my warmachines so it's no big deal.

Off the painting topic here but I personally love a unit of 10 missile troops, while I won't argue they are overpriced I've rarely regretted taking them. One of my regular opponents plays Ogres and I find them really valuable in this situation. Initially they're a quick drop which buys me time while he places his Sabrecats. They work as a bunker for my Lvl 1 and with Dellous (Lvl 4) running metal they can always use Enchanted Blades, between that and maybe a throw away Searing Doom they really threaten Mournfang; which I don't want hurtling into State Troops. Also my friend regularly plays a Gorger and they seem to shine against it, whether from Stand & shoot, soaking a charge up before my cannon or the fact that they can sometimes hold it for a turn in combat; it it fluffs it's attacks slightly.

However I don't see them getting much game time after I received an amazing Pleasent Surprise from ZeroTwentyThree! :-D

...22 Crossbowmen. Historical miniatures but they look amazing alongside my Men-At-Arms conversions Swordsmen.

Obviously as I received a Pleasent Surprise it means I'd committed to send one also. Here are some images of the gift I sent to Somegeezer.

I'm hoping to update again soon, I painted some scenery over the summer and will put that on here. I'll also include a few lists I was trying over the in the few battles I managed while everyone was around in the warmer months. Unfortunately my opportunities are limited to when people visit family in winter but I'm hoping to get a couple more games in this Christmas, when everyone goes back to our hometown :smile2:

Offline Noble Korhedron

• Members
  • Empire General
« Reply #41 on: November 30, 2014, 10:35:14 PM »
The football players are weird to see in an Empire PLog, but cool models and for some reason I found them quite funny - can't think why though....

Offline b0007452

• Members
« Reply #42 on: December 01, 2014, 06:06:04 PM »
Indeed, they aren't the most common thing on the Brush & Palette I doubt :blush:

Nevertheless I felt I had to update with something so I didn't look too lazy. Did a bit of basecoating to some Huntsmen last night though. God I love those models :smile2:

Offline Noble Korhedron

• Members
  • Empire General
« Reply #43 on: December 01, 2014, 11:37:08 PM »
Indeed, they aren't the most common thing on the Brush & Palette I doubt :blush:

Nevertheless I felt I had to update with something so I didn't look too lazy. Did a bit of basecoating to some Huntsmen last night though. God I love those models :smile2:
Which models are you using? Personally I don't like how GW brought out the separate Archer set, it seems like pure greed, IMO. What they should've done IMO is add command parts to the Free Company box, that way you can make those units from the Milita sprues if you need to. I know they're state troops now, but the Free Company box is better value these days, especially in the days of Hordes and such..... I made my crossbowmen that way, and I also used spare Milita parts to boost the size of my swordsmen units, taking the cutlass type swords and armoured arms from the Milita kit, and using the metal helmeted troops also.

Offline b0007452

• Members
« Reply #44 on: June 21, 2023, 12:01:12 AM »
Hey all,

So, my first post in I think 8 or 9 years. I was a spritely, active 23-year old graduate - I'm now withered by adult-life, getting progressively greyer and balder, turning 31 in a fortnight.

Tbh I don't think I've logged in since 2015 until this week (Thanks for keeping the account open haha). Life has changed a lot. Back then I ditched Warhammer at the drop of a hat. I was fortunate to get a promotion, gave notice on my flat and moved in to a London flatshare in the space of a couple of weeks. That flat has no space for and Warhammer or miniature-painting materials and everything went in to my parent's loft for the last 8 years.

In that time I lived the London life in flat shares for 5 years, moved out of London with a girlfriend just prior to Covid, did 2020-2023 in a small 1-bed flat with said girlfriend and no Empire models in sight. They were still gathering dust at my parent's and were strictly banned from taking up space in our small flat. Roll on 2023 and my partner and I have finally bought our first place, a 3-bed semi-detached house with a nice size loft. Mum wants all my stuff out and I finally have the space for them.

In that time the Old World has sadly died (For now) and AoS doesn't take my fancy much at all. My mates and I - who'd play probably once a month - are also now sufficiently spread out across the South East of England that it's not really possible now. Only one of my mates still is active in the hobby (He plays AoS weekly at a club local to him) but a few murmurs are out there of the others wanting to dip their toes in again.

So my real aim is to slowly turn the mass of grey plastic I'll be moving in to my loft in to a more pretty bunch of colour... That will still probably sit in my loft for the most part, but that I'll hopefully bring out a couple of times per year when hosting mates, particularly once The Old World Drops.

I know engagement on the site has dropped in the last decade, I couldn't get it to work on Chrome and I've just had to do the Photobucket to Imgur switch that seems to have happened back in 2018; I think that's all probably because of the way social media and internet engagement has changed, plus the decisions of GW. Personally though I kinda want to use the thread as a way to hold myself to account on doing a little bit of painting occasionally and you guys can hold me to that to.

So, to avoid me waffling on forever. I looked at where this PLog got to and it missed out some things I painted before I dropped the hobby 2015. A Warrior Priest (His 2nd hammer has snapped but an easy fix) and a unit of Huntsmen. It's a shame as I feel like back then I was hitting my stride a little with painting and generally improving.

And then, where I'm at now... Wading through dry paint and re-learning, taking photos on an iPhone7... But 6 of my mish-mash Free Company, including a couple of single base unit fillers.

And some exciting things to slowly work through over coming months including some Raging Heroes, Hasslefree, Forgeworld minis from 2015 or so. Plus Demigryphs and the big ol' monster the guy in green is running from.

Good to be back, hope you're all well  :::cheers:::

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #45 on: June 21, 2023, 09:56:18 AM »
Welcome back!  Looking forwrad to seeing your progress. :icon_cool: :::cheers:::
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline b0007452

• Members
« Reply #46 on: July 16, 2023, 12:02:53 AM »
So, first minis painted in about 7/8 years. Takes some getting used to again but finding it quite relaxing on an evening. Trying to do about 30 minutes a couple of times per week. I have plenty of plastic and metal to get through. So that’ll take a while.

These 6x are all for my Free Company horde, if I do pick up the dice for 8th again. A mix of minis; the running giant guy, a couple of 1-man unit fillers and a couple of Hasslefree Minis. Theme and story is important to me, the Free Company in my army are meant to represent a mix of rogues, drunks and mysterious strangers, the lost and forgotten souls of the wealthy town of Bogenhafen. A fair few more to come to finish the unit.

Basing still needs finishing but I need to buy some new bits. Slowly replacing old, dried out paints too.

Next up are 4x more single minis, All minor conversions. The guy with the lantern will be the Standard Bearer for my Town Guard themed Swordsman unit. The other 3x will be Free Company, including 2x retired Reikland State Troops  :-D
« Last Edit: July 16, 2023, 12:13:43 AM by b0007452 »

Offline Naitsabes

• Members
  • Never slid
« Reply #47 on: July 17, 2023, 08:52:36 PM »
Welcome back!

Isn't it neat how all those little models waited in a loft all those years and are now just as eager to get painted as they were back then?
The Empire Road to Volganof Last update 18Mar2023 - Pistoliers & Baggage train)

Offline Rowsdower

• Members
  • Is there beer on the sun?
    • Jesse Cowled
« Reply #48 on: July 18, 2023, 12:14:55 PM »
Great job on Not-Conan and the musician
Here's a tip on how to paint tattoo's.
1: Use a tiny detail brush to paint the tattoo
2: Wait for paint to dry fully
3: Use a lighter flesh shade [of whatever skin tone the mini's flesh is] and dry brush it over the tattoo

Offline b0007452

• Members
« Reply #49 on: October 26, 2023, 05:47:32 PM »
Thanks all for the couple of comments.

Tbh, I've always been a slow, dip in and out for half hour painter. With more space now I'm in my own house now and a little hobby corner set-up, it's much easier, and definitely fun to pick up a brush again.

A couple of mates are dipping their toes back in with TOW looming and there's talk of the new Necromunda being picked up for some chilled gaming/beer evenings, so that should be fun.

Anyway, a few recent minis are finished aside from basing.

3 Free company, including 2 retired Reikland state troops. I like to imagine the Free Company as being a rabble of rogues and drunks who've been chunked out of a tavern to fight... That includes these two old boys who were just after a quiet pint. The guy with the lantern will be the Standard Bearer for my town watch Swordsmen unit. Most are a kitbash of some description.

50% done with two 4-base unit fillers for my Swordsmen and Handgunners. Then either treating myself to a character or making a start on my Redemptionist gang for the Necromunda mentioned above  :icon_biggrin: