home

Author Topic: The Royal Tomb and messages from the past.  (Read 7102 times)

Offline phillyt

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
  • Watching... always watching...
    • https://www.facebook.com/philip.estabrook.1
The Royal Tomb and messages from the past.
« on: December 07, 2012, 10:37:56 PM »
Continuing our reorganization, we present you with The Royal Tomb.  The Royal Tomb is the newly visible archive for the site.  Many boards from the past have now been made available viewing.  Among them are the various campaigns run here on the site!  The Royal Tomb is read only, but the contributions of the past are now open to everyone.  Enjoy!

More changes are on the way, pay close attention to the Altdorf Press for further information.
Where did she touch you Eight? Show us on the doll.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
Re: The Royal Tomb and messages from the past.
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2012, 03:59:01 PM »
Not having been around for the infamous Ostermark Succession campaign, I'd always been curious.  Thanks for releasing the info!

Some initial comments ...

It seems the newsletter links go nowhere.

Saw one poster with an avatar that included having his middle finger up, lovely.

Is there a campaign map somewhere?

And so far for fluff, this story was particularly interesting ...

http://warhammer-empire.com/theforum/index.php?topic=8368.msg0#new
« Last Edit: December 09, 2012, 03:30:36 AM by GamesPoet »
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2012, 04:13:19 PM »
And this from Rufus ...

Hmmm, it's interesting to compare different accounts of Mannfred's death.

Zainer states in his Discourse on the Accursed Dead that the vampire was attempting to flee the battle on his chariot (which is in itself odd, since nowhere else is there mention of the use of such vehicles by the von Carstiens), when Graf Martin simply struck off his head. From behind, no less.

De Montferrat's Campaigning in the Wretched North claims that a lucky shot by a mercenary crossbowman transfixed the count through the heart, just as he was about to deal the death blow to Graf Martin. One should be wary of believing a Tilean, however.

Hagenberg records the traditional Stirland version in his work Martin, Saviour of The Empire. I'm sure we are all familiar with this overblown, yet stirring, text.

And then we have Breytenbach, who in his monograph The Light of Truth: a History of Ostermark during the Vampire Wars, alledges that Ostermarker soldiers surrounded and overwhelmed Mannfred by sheer determination and courage, finally slaying him at the cost of more than two thirds of their number. The cartoon of Graf Martin posing over the slain vampire, pointedly ignoring the heaps of dead Ostermarkers, is especially telling.

Interesting that such a recent and important event should be so confused in the reporting.

Great stuff! :::cheers:::
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2012, 04:57:15 PM »
It seems the newsletter links go nowhere.

There was a separate website, which did indeed have a map, the newsletters, and lots of fluff. But it's gone!
Hey, I could still beat up a woman!
If I wanted to.

Offline phillyt

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2012, 05:00:06 PM »
There will be broken links throughout the Tomb.  That is what happens to the dead!  The older they are, the more holes appear!

Offline fox_in_boots

• Members
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2012, 01:30:41 AM »
i have some projects id like to share pictures sand theorys upon how do i do so :mellow:

Offline S.O.F

• Members
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2012, 03:55:57 AM »
Just a thought but with the 8th Edition Empire army book wish listing/unofficial rules musing now in the Tomb where are new threads of rules or unit tweeks going to go? Now of course it is far too premature to start a whole 9th edition forum but still there were plenty of things the 8th sections thread that were general alternate army selection rules and other such homebrew rule ideas. I mean I suppose you could direct them to the Office but keeping that lit and stories seems nicer.
Soldier of Fortune
Crazy DOW player
Rabid Mets Fan

Offline phillyt

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2012, 04:46:52 PM »
A big reason for the archiving of the 8th Edition board was that it had served it's purpose.  At the time of it's creation, we were trying to contain all the wish listing being posted in the Elector's forum.  With the 8th edition book out, there is no need for a full board just for that book.  Most of the discussion should be within the elector board.

In addition, no posts had been made for 4 months with the exception of someone accidentally posting within the board about a current Empire topic!  Any new discussion within the context of Empire in 8th edition should be taking place in the primary Empire discussion board, the Elector's forum.

Offline Irisado

• Members
  • Retired Amethyst Wizard Lord
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2013, 06:17:55 PM »
I really like these changes, especially archiving all the eighth edition boards, as it was pointless leaving those as current boards, in view of the fact that eighth has been out for some time now.

I have a lot of catching up to do regarding the Ostermark campaign.  It looks as though that was great fun.
Soņando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente.