home

Author Topic: Watch Tower Project - Fozzrik's Folding Fortress  (Read 10447 times)

Offline steveb

• Members
Re: Watch Tower Project - Fozzrik's Folding Fortress
« Reply #25 on: December 16, 2012, 06:07:58 PM »
use 1/8 inch wide strips of copper to make the sills and sides of the firing slots, then paint the inner section black.  steveb

I_I bottom  reverse for top

Offline Shadespyre

• Members
« Reply #26 on: December 16, 2012, 07:18:29 PM »
Smartarse Hindsight   :engel:  -      The arrow slits would have been easier to punch when the sheets of metal were flat.

Well, yes. Except I'd have needed to cut them in the cardboard tubes to match if I wanted to make "proper" windows.

But this project is about doing it quickly, not doing it properly. Which is why I'm amazed it looks so good so far...

I like your thinking Steveb. I think "L" shapes will be quicker to make, and I think I will glue them onto thin black card to make the slot - this avoids any chance of getting paint on the copper, glue is bad enough.

How about a door? I have two thoughts on this:

A door in the bottom section, as you would expect in a normal tower
OR
A door in the top section - the garrison embark before the tower rises up

Offline Shadespyre

• Members
« Reply #27 on: December 17, 2012, 11:11:44 PM »
I started making windows:

No matter how tedious you think this might be, it's actually worse...

Each is made out of 2 L shapes. They are nominally all the same size, but the inaccuracy of cutting the foil with scissors is all to apparent - I hope it adds to the Old World charm. I think I need 12, 8, 8 and probably 4 of these on the floors (from the top down) - that's 32 in total. I think I'll try and do half a dozen at a time over the rest of the week.

Also still thinking about the door, and possibly a name plate, and maybe a telescope through the roof? How about a top spike or weather vane or flagpole?

While I'm thinking about all that, I'll finish the base and paint a few fluffy bits for another regiment...

Offline SorenJ

• Members
« Reply #28 on: December 18, 2012, 11:46:36 AM »
You might want to seal the whole tower with a clear coat of varnish, otherwise it will corrode (rust) in a couple of weeks. Corroded copper gets green and looks pretty cool in itself, but it may not be intended effect you're going for. Bending/working the copper and fingerprints will fasten the corrosion process. :closed-eyes:

Offline Fidelis von Sigmaringen

• Members
  • Attorney-at-RAW
« Reply #29 on: December 18, 2012, 11:58:46 AM »
It would look a bit venereal on the Terrifying Mast of EEE.
It is not enough to have no ideas of your own; you must also be incapable of expressing them.
Sex, lies and manuscripts: The History of the Empire as Depicted in the Art of the Time (10/07/16)

Offline Delthos

• Members
  • Evil Polish Guy
« Reply #30 on: December 18, 2012, 01:52:56 PM »
You might want to seal the whole tower with a clear coat of varnish, otherwise it will corrode (rust) in a couple of weeks. Corroded copper gets green and looks pretty cool in itself, but it may not be intended effect you're going for. Bending/working the copper and fingerprints will fasten the corrosion process. :closed-eyes:

Copper doesn't corrode to green in a couple weeks. It takes years to corrode to green!
Ostermark Photo Gallery
Ostermark Painting Log
"Kill 'em all and let Morr sort 'em out!" (General Ghent, Battle of Dumsky's Fallow)

Offline steveb

• Members
« Reply #31 on: December 18, 2012, 02:18:37 PM »
you might try cutting door out of copper and doing rivet pattern around the outside edges like the arrow slits, it would also establish a continuity of style throughout the whole.  keep going. steveb

Offline Shadespyre

• Members
« Reply #32 on: December 18, 2012, 09:15:03 PM »
Soren, thanks for the advice about protecting my shiny erection (!) but as it happens I work in the metal finishing industry and am fully prepared! :)

I'm going to wipe the tower down with a degreasing solution, dry it with a hair dryer, glue the accessories on while wearing gloves, and then give the whole thing a couple of coats of spray varnish. If it wasn't for the cardboard I'd be able to use all sorts of fancy chemicals on it, but I don't want to risk it getting soggy!

I thought about letting it corrode, or even deliberately corroding it, but I want it to look freshly telescoped when deployed. Possibly some oil stains around the joins, but I think I will just leave it shiny. Whatever finish you want on metal, it'll fingerprint terribly so you need to lacquer it to protect it.

Oh god, I just got Midaski's "Orange" pun, dude, that is terrible!!! :icon_eek:

Steve, that's pretty much what I'm thinking of. It's a pretty easy technique and the continuity is important, I agree  :smile2:

Offline Darknight

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
  • Dipped in Magic, Clothed in Science
« Reply #33 on: December 18, 2012, 11:27:48 PM »
I'm going to wipe my erection down with a degreasing solution, dry it with a hair dryer, glue the accessories on while wearing gloves, and then give the whole thing a couple of coats of spray varnish. If it wasn't for the cardboard I'd be able to use all sorts of fancy chemicals on it, but I don't want to risk it getting soggy!

Slight edit . . .
Completed Projects | History of Ophelia VII

Quote from: PhillyT
Everyone finds their balance between satisfaction and obsession.

Offline Von Leerkopf

• Members
« Reply #34 on: December 19, 2012, 08:20:46 AM »
Sweet rising tower. A thought i would pop the roof up à bit so
You could place models in the top of the tower. Dont know if
it will work for you.  :smile2:

Offline Commander Bernhardt

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
  • Geweldig!
« Reply #35 on: December 19, 2012, 04:38:20 PM »
do the oil stains! can't have a towering boner without some lubricant
President Merkin Muffley: Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room.

• Members
  • Attorney-at-RAW
« Reply #36 on: December 19, 2012, 05:20:30 PM »
You cannot? There must be something wrong then.
It is not enough to have no ideas of your own; you must also be incapable of expressing them.
Sex, lies and manuscripts: The History of the Empire as Depicted in the Art of the Time (10/07/16)

Offline Shadespyre

• Members
« Reply #37 on: December 19, 2012, 06:19:29 PM »
Sweet rising tower. A thought i would pop the roof up à bit so
You could place models in the top of the tower. Dont know if
it will work for you.  :smile2:

Yes, I thought of this and agree that it would look great. But then I thought of all the extra work - adding a floor, and supports for the roof, and making the roof strong enough to be a stand alone structure.... and I decided it would be okay like this. There's a lot of compromises in the design and construction due to the speed I need to do it with.

Offline theorox

• Members
Watch Tower Project - Fozzrik's Folding Fortress
« Reply #38 on: December 20, 2012, 05:07:43 PM »
Well, this is amazing. Awesome idea well executed! :D

Theo

Offline Shadespyre

• Members
« Reply #39 on: December 20, 2012, 08:03:34 PM »
Thanks very much :)

Had a few issues with varnishing it, suddenly there are strange discoloured patches here and there, but I'm going to strip those back and give it another coat. For now, here's a picture with the added door and windows and slightly patchy varnishing:

Offline Commander Bernhardt

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
  • Geweldig!
« Reply #40 on: December 20, 2012, 09:09:54 PM »
looking good!!
President Merkin Muffley: Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room.

• Members
  • Attorney-at-RAW
« Reply #41 on: December 20, 2012, 10:04:26 PM »
Rising to the challenge!

Offline Quickbeam

• Members
« Reply #42 on: December 21, 2012, 12:02:03 AM »
Amazing!  :::cheers:::
“An army of principles will penetrate where an army of soldiers cannot.”
― Thomas Paine

Offline steveb

• Members
« Reply #43 on: December 21, 2012, 02:43:51 PM »
fantastic! steveb

Offline Shadespyre

• Members
« Reply #44 on: December 31, 2012, 10:26:21 AM »
Just as a footnote for now, I got to use the Telescoping Tower in our Christmas game, and while it had little impact on the game everyone said that it looked great. So, job done I guess!