home

Author Topic: WIP Advanced Religious Rules  (Read 3983 times)

Offline S.O.F

• Members
WIP Advanced Religious Rules
« on: March 06, 2013, 03:00:31 AM »
I've grown bored with the current state of the Empire rules for Priest being limited to Sigmar and that they are for the most part a required choice. This deprives the player of choice especially when it comes to employing different play styles rather than the constant grinding hatred hordes.

Currently I have included no fluff but simply the rough rules ideas I have going. In general though only Ulricans and Sigmarites I think should be allowed lord level characters, though I may consider Myrimidians an option. Taal and Morr are not war gods and while they may have a few militant members they certainly do not got to war the same way as the proper warrior cults do. Manann and Verena are not included as they do not have the same sort of enemies that can be represented on the table as Morr or Taal. I think the Myrimidia prayers seem good for covering both the Goddess of Wisdom or the God of the Sea should a player really want to include such.

No prices have been worked out nor selection rules. Here I think armies should be limited to two types of priest but making things like Sigmarites and Ulricans mutually exclusive. Inclusion of two types of priest might require the inclusion of one unit of Templars or Fanatics of that deity in order to even out properly.

The War Altar is at the moment limited to Sigmarites and Ulricans with the upgrades being used to cover the rather pathetic magic items these days. I may limit that to two upgrades (save for the Volkmar and the Ar-Ulric who could have all three). If Myrimidia gets a nod at a High Priest type as well War Altar options may follow.

Anyway C&C always welcome.

Priests

High Priests are Ulrican lord level Priests, Arch-Lectors Sigmarite lord level Priests

Righteous Fury
The Priest and any unit joined by them gains certain special rules depending on the Priest’s patron god.
Sigmar: Hatred towards all enemy models in Destruction armies
Ulric: Hatred towards all enemy models with lower base Weapons Skill or Leadership
Taal: Hatred towards all enemy models in Chaos armies (Warriors, Beasts, Daemons, and Dwarfs) and are Forest Striders
Morr: Hatred towards all enemy models in Undead armies (Vampire Counts and Tomb Kings) and are Immune to Fear
Myrimidia: Unit may re-roll any ones rolled when rolling to hit or to wound.

Holy Fervor
Priests in the unit of Templars of the same God may re-roll failed rolls to channel. Priests in a unit of Religious Fanatics gain +1 to cast rolls toward their prayers. Priests in either unit confer Magic Resistance (1) to the unit.

Prayers
Each Priest has four prayers in which they may attempt to cast like a bound spell with a power level of 4.

Sigmar
Hammer of Sigmar (augment): Unit and Priest Re-roll failed rolls to wound until next friendly magic phase.
Armor of Contempt (augment): Unit and Priest gain a 5+ ward save until next friendly magic phase.
Unbending Righteousness (augment): On Priest and Unit, unit become Stubborn until next friendly magic phase.
Soulfire (augment): Unit and Priest count as having flaming attacks until next friendly magic phase.

Ulric
Battle Howl (augment): Priest and Unit gain D3” to marches, charges, pursuit, and overrun moves until next friendly magic phase.
Winter’s Chill (augment): Enemy units in base to base contact with Priest and Unit suffer -1 to their to hit rolls in hand to hand combat until next friendly magic phase.
Ferocity of Ulric (augment): Priest and Unit gain Frenzy until next friendly magic phase.
Ulric’s Wrath (damage): All enemy models in base to base contact suffer a S4 hit.

Morr
Morr’s Touch (augment): Cast on a single character within 12” or priest, the model gains Killing Blow special ability until next friendly magic phase.
Cascade of Dreams (hex): Range 12” Cast on single enemy character, character must take a Leadership test or the character and the unit they are with are unable to take any action next turn. If engaged in combat will react and fight back. This is not a Psychology test and only Daemonic or Forest Spirit characters are immune.
A View Beyond (augment): Priest and unit gain +1 Leadership until next friendly magic phase.
Threshold Line: (hex) Range 12” cast on enemy unit. If unit chooses to move forward it must take a Difficult Terrain test, Undead fail test on 1-2

Taal
Huntsman’s Aim (augment): Priest and unit gains +1 to ballistic skill until next friendly magic phase.
Bear’s Paw (augment): Range 12” Cast on a single character, model gains +2 strength until next friendly magic phase.
Healing Hand (augment): Range 12” Cast on a single character, model regains one previously lost wound.
Tanglefoot (hex): Range 12” Cast on enemy unit, suffers –D6 inches from next roll to charge or to move.

Myrimidia
Blessing of Myrimidia: (augment) Unit and Priest may re-roll failed armor saves until next friendly magic phase.
Bellum Strategia: (augment) Unit and Priest may claim ranks and Steadfast regardless of being engaged in the flank or being in terrain that would normally negate such bonuses until next friendly magic phase.
The Eagle’s Talon: (augment) Unit and Priest gain Armor Piercing special rule on all attacks until next friendly magic phase.
Myrimidia’s Spear: (damage) Range 12”. Enemy unit suffers hit as if from bolt thrower with S5 D3 wounds.

War Altars
War Altars are chariots with a 5+ save. They also have the following special rules: Large Target, 4+ Ward Save, and Stubborn special rules which they confer to their rider. If an Arch Lector or High Priest is mounted on a War Altar, they confer their Righteous Fury to any friendly unit within 6”. Any prayers made by the priest, with the exception of Ulric’s Wrath, are cast with 6” additional range, therefore prayers normally cast on the priest and unit may be cast on a unit within 6”. Additionally during the magic phase the War Altar confers a certain bonus as follows:

Player’s Magic Phase
The War Altar confers one of the following bonuses.
•   A single Prayer by the Priest is cast with Irresistible Force.
•   A single extra power dice may be generated and directed toward the casting of a Prayer, which may or may not, depending on the player’s wish, be supplemented by additional dice from the player’s pool as normal.

During Opponents Magic Phase
The War Alter confers one of the following bonuses:
•   Adds +1 to all dice rolled in a single dispel attempt made by the Priest to a maximum of +6
•   Adds an additional dispel dice to a single dispel attempt made by the Priest, which may or may not, depending on the player’s wish, be supplemented by additional dice from the player’s pool as normal. .

Sigmarite Upgrades
Golden Griffon: As per 8th Edition Rulebook
Horn of Sigismund: As per 8th Edition Rulebook
Shroud of Magnus: War Altar and the Arch-Lector or High Priest riding is immune to all foul magics (this includes all Chaotic Lores, Skaven Lores, Dark Magic, Necromantic Magic, and Orc and Goblin Lores)

Ulrican Upgrades
Ice Dagger: Once per friendly magic phase may add rank bonus a single friendly unit within 6” to casting roll for prayer.
Heart of the Wolf: Bound Spell (Level 4, augment) Cast on self or any friendly unit within 6”. Unit is Immune to Psychology until next friendly magic phase.
Ulric’s Bite: All to-hit rolls of 6 made by the Priest during combat automatically wound and allow no armor save.

Religious Fanatics

Crazed: Units of Religious Fanatics may never be joined by characters save for priests of the same god.

Flagellants are Unbreakable. At the start of combat Flagellants may sacrifice up to 3 of their number and count them towards combat resolution. Flagellants are armed with flails. They may have a Champion.

Wolf-Kin are Stubborn and have the Devastating Charge special rules. Wolf-Kin are armed with hand weapons and wear light armor. They may have full command, great weapons, additional hand weapons, and/or shields.

Horned Hunters are Forest Striders, Skirmishers, and are subject to Frenzy. Horned Hunters are armed with hand weapons and javelins. They may have Champion, additional hand weapons, great weapons, bows, and/or shields.

Templar Knights

Righteous Fury
Morrian Templars: Hatred towards all enemy models in Undead armies (Vampire Counts and Tomb Kings) and cause Fear.
Myrimidia: Unit may re-roll any ones rolled when rolling to hit or to wound.
Sigmar: Hatred towards all enemy models in Destruction armies.
Ulric: Hatred towards all enemy models with lower base Weapons Skill or Leadership

Witch Hunters

Burn the Witch.
Witch Hunters hate Undead, Daemons, Beastmen, Skaven, and any model that can cast a spell.

Summary Execution.
Witch Hunters have the Killing Blow special rule on attacks verses any enemy character that can cast spells.

Grim Resolve.
As 8th edition book

Tools of the Trade
Witch Hunters may not take magic items but may take three items totaling up to 50 pts from the following list:

Silvered Weapons: Witch Hunter may re-roll any failed rolls to wound.
Holy Water: Attacks by the Witch Hunter count as magical.
Hunter’s Writ: Nominate a single enemy character at the beginning of the game. This character may never decline challenges made by the Witch Hunter.
Loyal Henchmen: Witch Hunter passes all Look Out Sir Tests automatically when in a unit and may not be singled out by spell or Sniper special rule.
Witch Bane: All casters within 6” of Witch Hunter suffer -1 to casting rolls.
Holy Sigils: Witch Hunter has a +5 Ward Save.
Blessed Breastplate: +1 to armor save.

Witch Hunters wear Light Armor and are armed with a handweapon. Witch Hunters may have a pistol, brace of pistols, additional handweapon, or flaming brand (counts as additional hand weapon with flaming special rule). May ride a warhorse.

« Last Edit: April 27, 2013, 05:04:18 AM by S.O.F »
Soldier of Fortune
Crazy DOW player
Rabid Mets Fan

Offline Padre

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
Re: WIP Advanced Religious Rules
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2013, 02:59:19 PM »
Very interesting. I might try your Myrmidian and Morrite rules out during my Tilean Campaign, playtest them and see if I can offer some suggestions for tweaks and what not.

Tell me though - are 'Prophets of Doom' Morr fanatics? And do they have any special rules?
Photobucket has now re-destroyed my pictures, so the first half of my collected works thread is no longer working again. To see my website version of the campaign thread, with fully functioning pictures, please go to https://bigsmallworlds.com/

Offline S.O.F

• Members
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2013, 06:20:50 PM »
Tell me though - are 'Prophets of Doom' Morr fanatics? And do they have any special rules?

Alas that is but the name for a Champion in a unit of Flagellants; there are no Morrian Religious fanatics currently. The problem is that only some Gods illicit a degree of militant fanaticism. Flagellants look to atone for their sins through self harm and death in battle for Sigmar, Wolf-Kin seek vengeance on those that destroyed their lives in the name of Ulric, and Horned Hunters dislike modern civilization seek to defend the wild places from the despoliation. Morr, or any of the other 'civilized' Gods, simply don't get that same sort of follower. Sure a Morrian Priest that travels about following their dreams in order to find wrongs to right or undead to slay may have an entourage but they I think are better represented by say Free Company, common folks and mercenaries swayed by the charismatic priest into helping him on his mission. 
Soldier of Fortune
Crazy DOW player
Rabid Mets Fan

Offline wissenlander

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
  • The original Graf of Brennenburg
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2013, 06:44:02 PM »
I love stuff like this.  My first thought is that it's a bit weird to me to see any humans with a movement higher than 4.  I'm not up on 8th edition rules so I don't really have anything else to add besides that.
Me and Wissenlander had babies!

not together.

finding photographic evidense that Wiss smiles is going to be hard...

Offline S.O.F

• Members
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2013, 07:35:04 PM »
I love stuff like this.  My first thought is that it's a bit weird to me to see any humans with a movement higher than 4.  I'm not up on 8th edition rules so I don't really have anything else to add besides that.

Movement five may be a big deal to folks that are stuck with the stingy way GW does stat lines these days but I think it is perfectly suitable, from a WAB perspective most barbarian type or light skirmishers have M5. Locking in races to set stats other than WS and BS make them really quite boring to my mind, I for one think a min-max range for races much better than a single number that they must always sit at.

Also I added the Witch Hunter which though generally designed with the Templars of Sigmar in mind is still suitable for a Morrian or Ulrican Witch Hunter. Magic items I never though jived with Witch Hunters so a selection of special skills and weapons seemed more appropriate. Also I wanted taking a Witch Hunter to be a bigger tactical decision both on the part of the player fielding and the opponent. He has multiple ways to be kitted and doesn't rely only on the rather gimmicky pistol shot to the brain as the current incarnation does. He is a bit more fighty but if attacked with an opposing fighty character stands little chance of success. I retained accusation in the form of the Hunter's Writ but I felt here it thematically felt better, the Witch Hunter charging into a block of Zombies lead by a foul Necromancer, the poor bastards he brought along buying time by fighting the Zombies while the Necromancer in vain attempts to thwart the righteous Witch Hunter only to be shot in the stomach and then decapitated by his sword (far more fun then 'BOOM HEADSHOT' in my book).
Soldier of Fortune
Crazy DOW player
Rabid Mets Fan

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2013, 03:01:06 PM »
Looks really cool, I'll probobly be trying out the witch hunter upgrades in a game or two. The one thing that stands out is on the war altar. The sigmar upgrade that ignores all magic from half the armies seems SUPER powerful, and nothing on the Ulrican one really matched that.

Offline S.O.F

• Members
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2013, 10:18:18 PM »
The one thing that stands out is on the war altar. The sigmar upgrade that ignores all magic from half the armies seems SUPER powerful, and nothing on the Ulrican one really matched that.

True the Ulrican one doesn't have the same sort but is such an item all that powerful. Half the lists that use those lore have access to other BRB lores to which the altar is not immune. Also is magic the sole way in which an opponent plans to remove your War Altar from the table, if so I would not say it is a good one.
Soldier of Fortune
Crazy DOW player
Rabid Mets Fan