home

Author Topic: Anyone know the deal with the Black Library these day?  (Read 806 times)

Offline S.O.F

• Members
Anyone know the deal with the Black Library these day?
« on: July 03, 2013, 06:31:47 AM »
So in general I'm not a reader of much fiction, most often I read boring things like Capetian tax schemes or results of Polish Kingly elections, but the Black Library is one of my guilty pleasures. For as long as I remember they used to tell you near a year in advance the books in production now no longer. Anyone have a clue why for this mysterious change of policy, I mean Amazon told me there is another new Gotrek and Felix book in September but not the Black Library
Soldier of Fortune
Crazy DOW player
Rabid Mets Fan

Offline Finlay

• Members
  • C'mon Son
Re: Anyone know the deal with the Black Library these day?
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2013, 07:01:32 AM »
Because the best PR strategy is not to publicize anything you do, just spring it on the public two weeks before its released.

Also, shut down any websites talking about it.
I don't care about the rules.

Pass the machete.

Offline S.O.F

• Members
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2013, 08:36:21 AM »
Because the best PR strategy is not to publicize anything you do, just spring it on the public two weeks before its released.

Also, shut down any websites talking about it.

See I'm thinking perhaps that but that seems super mental for books, minis vaguely that you don't want others making similar types but books you can most certainly sue. Honestly this is quite perplexing...though I can buy many short stories for stupid amounts of money though :roll:
Soldier of Fortune
Crazy DOW player
Rabid Mets Fan

Offline Mathi Alfblut

• Members
  • intres cum fixura sine misericordia
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2013, 09:02:44 AM »
Yes, and ainīt that fantastic?  :dry:

The BL is run with the same idiot scheme that they run the rest of GW. Spring it on the public. It is strange that as far as I know, other book companies are still using the stupid idea of teasers and free samples to wet the appetite for what is too come. But GW knows better than the whole book market! Yeah!

I guess they feel at exclusive stuff written by mostly mediocre authors given the BL zeal is of the value of a Ferrari. But as I am quite a picky SF and Fantasy book consumer and am careful about selecting one for purchase. So if they do not give me some info beforehand they will have too wait for me to pick one up. And no, I do not do limited ed. purchases. Why bother when it is obvious it is a scam?
I buy Dan Abnett cause he is good. I buy him because I know I like his style and because he have developed tremendously over the years. I listened to him reading aloud from his coming Horus Heresy book about the Ultramarines. Man, me and my son have cared less about the Horus Heresy but hearing Dan read that part made us consider reading his books, especially that one. It was a great read.
Would any of us have even considered it without that teaser? No, not unless we had heard numerous people wow to it being good.

Oh, and remember GW made it personal, not you!