home

Author Topic: The Nachtdorf Crusaders - an acceptable beginning?  (Read 3499 times)

Offline Facilier_

• Members
The Nachtdorf Crusaders - an acceptable beginning?
« on: July 03, 2013, 07:29:52 PM »
Hi all :)

Not quite sure where this should be posted, but I've tried to write a bit of fluff for my Empire army. I love the stories revolving around the different provinces, and after reading up on all of them I feel most connected to Ostermark. Due to a fascination with Sylvania combined with a desire for other colours than the normal Ostermark uniform they do not look quite like other Ostermark armies.  :icon_redface: I therefore wanted to base my army in a background story. Hopefully this can also help justify some of the more rare choices for an army from a small, rural town.

Since my meta consists mostly of competitive players who couldn't care less about fluff I'm hoping for some feedback from you guys :) Right now it's mostly a draft over the general idea behind my army:

Joseph Nachtdorf, former Grand Master of The Knights of The Everlasting Light, has recently returned home to the town which his last name derives from after a necromancer and his ghoul horde slipped into the town at night and slaughtered among others his family. The small town guard were woefully unprepared, and only the stalwart defence organized by a few war veterans prevented the attack to turn into a complete massacre. The citizens of Nachtdorf, both shaken to their core and without a leader, seeing as how their Major was one of the unfortunate victims, quickly turned to the former grand master for hope and guidance, and after some consideration he now styles himself Lord of Nachtdorf.

Using influencial connections and much of his personal wealth he has assembled a sizable army, ready to strike out in grim vengeance. In addition, he wishes to create a sense of union and pride in his small town, perhaps even turning it in to a proper city in the future. The uniforms and banners used by his men are a part of this, hopefully without seeming too arrogant. He has kept the burgundy color of Ostermark, perhaps a touch more red than usual. Due to the towns earlier relationship with Sylvania of old Joseph has exchanged the other province colors with black and cream, creating a uniform similar to the ones worn during the Vampire Wars. Still there are more thought behind this: the black and red reflects his good relationship with the Hertig family, who has the same colors in their family crest, and the soldiers themselves quickly connected the colors to blood and death, fitting thoughts for an army founded upon tragedy.

Among his forces are:

- Tyrael Lightbringer: A wizard and long time friend of Joseph, who has assisted him in many battles before.
- Jacen Hartig: The nephew of Ostermark's Elector Count, who does not wish young Jacen to make the same mistakes he did in his youth. Has been granted the honor of being the army's Battle Standard Bearer.
- Baltus Karr: An experienced and stern engineer, who is in charge of the artillery generously provided by the Count.
- Willem Van Mileu: A witchhunter local to the area, eager to join any crusade against the undead and whatever other abominations they might encounter.
- Kargain Rigelhoff and Othello Tyrmark: Senior and junior warrior priests
- Defenders of Nachtdorf: A combination of the bravest city guards and determined volenteers, the Defenders are out for revenge, adventure, even fame and glory - but most of them have yet to prove themselves in a real battle. Consists of a halberdier regiment supported by archers and militia.
- Veteran Knights of The Everlasting Light: Even though most of the order displayed shock and in some cases outright anger over Joseph's hasty resignation, something almost unheard of in such a position, he still has allies there who gladly rides with him for a good cause.
- Demigryph Knights of House Hartig: Being both rare and deadly on the battlefield, Joseph considers himself lucky for being supported by even three of these. The riders themselves are almost too sure of their own excellence, but fights fiercy in every battle.
The Swift Justice (Outriders): a personal favorite of Joseph, this small unit usually punches far beyond it's weight.
- A great cannon, a helblaster and the pride of the army - the steamtank Morr's Fist.
- A celestial Hurracium/ Luminark (haven't decided yet): Morr only knows how Tyrael managed to borrow this revered contraption, when asked he simply smiles slightly and mutters something about "...hell to pay if it returns with even a scratch". Whatever the reason, it's surely a awe-insipiring sight and hopefully a major asset in larger battles.

« Last Edit: July 06, 2013, 10:07:54 AM by Facilier_ »

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
Re: The Nachtdorf Crusaders - an acceptable beginning?
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2013, 02:25:33 AM »
It looks pretty good. I like the idea and the fluff behind the characters especially.

Offline thundercake

• Members
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2013, 03:29:31 AM »
I want more!
Don't underestimate a halfling, their ladle will do a number on your stomach, and on your head.

Offline Facilier_

• Members
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2013, 03:26:37 PM »
Thank you both for the positive feedback, means a lot :) I'll keep working on both the fluff and painting, hopefully I'll also find a way to use future battles as a part of the army's story.

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2013, 04:16:19 PM »
Keep it up, it's looking good.

I always like armies that are more than just another state army, so to speak. And I like the idea about saving the town and ending up as the lord. So many different angles to go from. Could have a dark and conspiracy bend to it, or be a real champion of light and looking after the innocent. Can't wait to see some models.

Offline Facilier_

• Members
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2013, 09:06:37 PM »
Glad you think so :) I love how Empire armies can differ so much from each other with regards to both fluff and appearance, and that they open up for more nuances that good/bad.

I've actually started a small blog where you can find the models I've painted so far, although they're far from masterpieces, and a slightly updated army prologue. The fluff for both the army itself and the different units will be updated according to how future battles pan out.  If anyone's interested you can find the blog at: http://battlememoirs.wordpress.com/. I guess the best way to start reading would be to click on the Empire category and scroll down to the beginning.

Since I've sadly usually have far too few opportunities to actually play, this serves as extra motivation if nothing else :) hoping to find the time for a game or three this weekend though. 

Offline thundercake

• Members
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2013, 10:23:50 PM »
Love the blog. The only thing I would say is that it seems that some of your paint on the faces/beards is a little heavy. But, I am not a great painter so I don't have much room to talk.
Don't underestimate a halfling, their ladle will do a number on your stomach, and on your head.

Offline Facilier_

• Members
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2013, 04:08:42 PM »
Thanks :) I know there's much to improve when it comes to the painting, especially the faces...trying to figure out how to find the perfect balance between using too thick/thin paint, but apart from a few orc models when I was a kid these are the first models I've painted. Appreciate any tips though, and find it very interesting to check out other people's works in the forum.