home

Author Topic: Pandemonium Multi-PLog (update: out)  (Read 296158 times)

Offline Shadespyre

• Members
Re: Pandemonium Multi-PLog (art. crew & war altar of Manann)
« Reply #50 on: January 20, 2015, 12:38:43 AM »
Seagulls!!?

Just a thought, looks great though.

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
  • i'm a mercenary doom bringer
« Reply #51 on: January 23, 2015, 02:29:31 PM »
Not too much new. Finished cleaning the bits for my first 16 halberds. I need to decide if I will continue the multi-color mercenary look with them, or if I should do a uniform unit for a change. ::heretic:: Still making slow progress on some of the old artillery crew, finished this old one...

I have also started talking to a couple of the guys I used to game with about starting up again. They're interested in playing some historicals, so I might be switching gears to ancients in the future.

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
« Reply #52 on: January 24, 2015, 03:17:19 AM »
Trying to clean/organize things a bit. So I got a count of my artillery crew. At some point, not too long ago I was short-handed for regular games. For whatever reason, I just wasn't into painting crew. But at this point, once I finish the last two half-painted guys that are on my desk, I will have:

24 Artillery Crew
4 Engineers

That includes a full set of 3 crew, and one engineer, that I received as Pleasant Surprises. That also includes old Imperial dwarfs (5.) So it looks like I could field 8 pieces of artillery with full crew. I still have about 9 more bare plastic/metal crew (and one engineer) that I could conceivably paint at some point in the future.

I also have one hotpot and two incomplete Dwarf swivelguns. I have all the important parts for the latter (like the crew!) Just missing parts of the "wood" frame, which should be easy to fabricate.

:dry:  We need a cannon emoji.  :dry:

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
Re: Pandemonium Multi-PLog (Latest: art. crew)
« Reply #53 on: January 27, 2015, 08:16:38 PM »
Over in the Counts Tavern I've been rambling about some gaming ideas. Related to that, I've painted a few quick test pics for an idea I've got for humans who are technically living but magically bound & enslaved to a dark/evil/necromantic power. Some of the inspiration is from the Brothers of the Pines from Moorcock's Chronicles of Corum. Or maybe a bit like the slave Podlings from the Dark Crystal, too.

Obviously a limited color palette. But rather than the warmer color of skeletons/bone, this is more of a cool grey. I think it will be a good contrast against my colorful Marienburgers.

« Last Edit: January 27, 2015, 08:48:11 PM by ZeroTwentythree »

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
Re: Pandemonium Multi-PLog (Latest: test figures, undeadish)
« Reply #54 on: January 31, 2015, 05:44:17 AM »
First batch of 24 enslaved/bound. Still need to base them up.

Deciding what to work on next. If I'm going to do some solo gaming, I should continue to work on opponents like this. But there are still many Marienburg troops calling to me.... paint us! paint us!

Offline Shadespyre

• Members
« Reply #55 on: January 31, 2015, 10:31:38 AM »
Those are gorgeous!  :eusa_clap:

Offline Zak

• Members
  • Mad Viking
    • Mad Viking
« Reply #56 on: January 31, 2015, 02:37:13 PM »
wow very neat  :::cheers:::
Yes I'm dyslexic so what

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
Re: Pandemonium Multi-PLog (Latest: undead lead)
« Reply #57 on: February 02, 2015, 04:07:42 AM »
Thanks! I'm working on getting them based up now.

I'm continuing my Warhammer archaeology and digging up more old figures I can make use of. I found some old undead with really old paint on them. Going to get them in a nice Simple Green bath. I don't have use for two vampires at the moment, but I think I can put the other two (both from the older LotR range?) to use once they have some new paint on them.

I also have this newer Confrontation mini that I'm possibly going to put to use as well...

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
Re: Pandemonium Multi-PLog (Latest: undead lead)
« Reply #58 on: February 02, 2015, 10:28:24 PM »
As long as I'm finishing long forgotten miniatures, I spent all of 30 minutes or so putting the final bits of paint on these (mostly) snotlings, which I had been painting up as "Lesser Goblins" long ago. (I couldn't stand the way the 5th ed. gobbos got so big.) I will finish the remaining bases when I catch up on all the other basing I need to do.

I also dropped the above undeadlies into some Simple Green, along with my regiment of Golgfag's Ogres v.2.

http://www.solegends.com/citrr/rr08golgfags.htm

They will serve as mercenaries either for or against the Marienburgers.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2015, 03:48:01 AM by ZeroTwentythree »

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
Re: Pandemonium Multi-PLog (Latest: gobbos?!?)
« Reply #59 on: February 03, 2015, 04:04:11 AM »
I just spent 45 minutes clipping all of the bits off of a box of 5th ed. skeletons. I still have to clean all of the clip points and mold lines, which will take at least an equal amount of time, then assemble them. In some ways, I prefer old fashioned metal figures to plastic. But each really does have it's pros & cons.

Also, why the hell would skeleton regiments need musicians or embossed shield devices? I would really prefer flat shields, but they all have small raised rings on them to accept the tiny peg in the back of one of three optional embossed devices (two are skulls, the third is a pair of crossed bones.) Standards I can understand from a C&C standpoint. The commander needs to know where their troops are. But the rest seems odd.

As I was clipping plastic off spues, I started thinking about the identification and decoration of battlefield undead. Why not just paint the skeletons up in different colors? Like a unit or brigade of red skeletons on the left flank, and some dark blue ones on the right. Hell, if the undead are going to attack at night (which seems logical, since living mortals will generally be at a disadvantage due to visibility) why not paint them all black?

Offline Galafreed

• Members
Re: Pandemonium Multi-PLog (Latest: gobbos?!?)
« Reply #60 on: February 03, 2015, 05:31:20 AM »
Love the lesser goblins, where did you get hold of the toadstool's? really make the base.

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
Re: Pandemonium Multi-PLog (I've got a giant boner)
« Reply #61 on: February 04, 2015, 08:00:02 PM »
Love the lesser goblins, where did you get hold of the toadstool's? really make the base.

Thanks. I made them. Whenever I have any putty left from sculpting or conversions, I try to do something with it, either using it on bases or making little mushroom caps. The stem is usually just a bit of leftover wire or plastic rod/tube.

I'm making my rounds to some of the local & not-so-local stores when I end up near them. Sometimes you never know what you will find. Today I picked up the "Colossal Skeleton" from Reaper Miniatures. Or as I call him, the giant boner.

I don't have much experience with them yet, but I'm thinking that Reaper's "Bones" line of figures is pretty awesome. At least for larger figures. Man sized figures are still inexpensive, but don't seem like quite as much of a bargain. This guy was only $15.

http://www.reapermini.com/Miniatures/Bones/latest/77116

Offline Shadespyre

• Members
« Reply #62 on: February 04, 2015, 08:57:17 PM »
Reaper Bones are an awesome concept. Some work better than others - the weapons on man-size models can be a bit wobbly and overly chunky, I've replaced a few with GW plastic bits and you end up with a very nice model very cheap. They are massively convertible too, you can hack off huge bits with nothing more than a sharp knife. Top marks to Reaper for using this to bring us cheap models and affordable large models rather than just to gouge extra profits out of people (they probably make more profit per mini sold, but you know what I mean). Read the advice on the Reaper website about working with the Bones polymer - mind you, it might be similar to the vinyl toys you work with?

Interesting point about command groups for skeletons. I guess it depends how you think Necromancy work. If it reanimates dead bodies and brings back a shadow of the former self, then you might expect undead soldiers to slavishly follow the patterns set in their lives and obey an officer, flag and drum. It also seems more practical for the reanimator to directly control the command group and the others follow, rather than send specific magical signals to dozens of undead puppets. Just an idea.

I like the painted undead idea. You could just have them dunk themselves in a vat, save on the effort of brush painting them all. Could look interesting. Psychologically, I wonder if it might detract from the Terror a bone-toned walking skeleton causes?

Offline steveb

• Members
« Reply #63 on: February 04, 2015, 10:06:12 PM »
color of bones can be quite varied as in mineral seeps from the ground vs. sun bleaching, vs. moldy. Red skeletons would be very funny specially if you are an old gamer who remembers the red Skelton comedy night show.    steveb
« Last Edit: February 05, 2015, 01:33:56 PM by steveb »

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #64 on: February 05, 2015, 01:22:45 AM »
I like the enslaved/bound humans.  Also like the older GW undead figures.  And the snotlings are awesome! :icon_cool: :eusa_clap: :::cheers:::
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
« Reply #65 on: February 05, 2015, 05:00:55 PM »
Reaper Bones are an awesome concept. Some work better than others - the weapons on man-size models can be a bit wobbly and overly chunky, I've replaced a few with GW plastic bits and you end up with a very nice model very cheap. They are massively convertible too, you can hack off huge bits with nothing more than a sharp knife. Top marks to Reaper for using this to bring us cheap models and affordable large models rather than just to gouge extra profits out of people (they probably make more profit per mini sold, but you know what I mean). Read the advice on the Reaper website about working with the Bones polymer - mind you, it might be similar to the vinyl toys you work with?

I saw that. Yeah, the vinyl toys don't always take well to aerosol primer. I think it's the solvents. I usually use brush on gesso, which is what I may use on Boner. I do plan on converting this guy, I think I would like to repose him, at the very least.

I agree, it's great to see that they are offering affordable alternatives. Once figures get to a certain size, metal just isn't practical, either.

I like the painted undead idea. You could just have them dunk themselves in a vat, save on the effort of brush painting them all. Could look interesting. Psychologically, I wonder if it might detract from the Terror a bone-toned walking skeleton causes?

color of bones can be quite varied as in mineral seeps from the ground vs. sun bleaching, vs. moldy. Red skeletons would be very funny specially if you are an old gamer who remembers the red Skelton comedy night show.    steveb

A friend used to talk about creating a diorama with a big vat of bleach, with a necromancer directing a line of skeletons to walk into it, coming out the other side all nice & white-ish colored, the way most armies depict them. The same could probably be done with paint or dye.

As far as the terror, I think that having barely visible, nearly silent, animated, black skeletons attacking in the dark would be pretty creepy. There's a lot of room for more humorous ideas, too, I guess.

Then there's this bit of awesomeness someone did:  :ph34r:

http://redearthterrain.deviantart.com/art/Molten-Colossal-Skeleton-Front-444946055

Offline Syphon

• Members
« Reply #66 on: February 05, 2015, 06:17:55 PM »
That is blooming amazing! Think he painted it or, god forbid, put in LEDS? :D
Now go! Ride towards the sun atop these noble steeds
You're our spandex heroes, now fullfil your destinies
And so we turned and rode beyond the castle walls
with shiny codpiece armour that doth cradle our chivalrous balls

Offline steveb

• Members
« Reply #67 on: February 06, 2015, 03:25:23 PM »
amen!, flaming boner indeed, awesome does not adequately describe it.  good work whoever you are.       It just dawned on me that these bones figures, the larger ones, ought to be super easy to convert/reposition.  I know that you can cut through easily, then use a little wire in the joints etc creating whole new figures.  Has anyone done this yet with bone's large pieces yet?    At the price these could be cut up for bits to use elsewhere.  just a thought.  steveb

Offline Shadespyre

• Members
« Reply #68 on: February 06, 2015, 05:17:55 PM »
So far I have only worked with the smaller models - the big ones are my reward for when I have Been Good and painted some more rank and file!

Darknight built his pleasant surprise Dragon Ogre Shaggoth from a Bones Giant and Dragon, seemed to go rather well. I have seen tutorials elsewhere for the big skeletal dragons, so yes, it is very much possible.

Offline Darknight

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
  • Dipped in Magic, Clothed in Science
« Reply #69 on: February 06, 2015, 08:40:36 PM »
Bones is lovely to work with - easy to cut, easy to glue. Just make sure you give it a good wash beforehand and make sure the primer is absolutely bone (lol) dry before you start painting.
Completed Projects | History of Ophelia VII

Quote from: PhillyT
Everyone finds their balance between satisfaction and obsession.

Offline Syphon

• Members
« Reply #70 on: February 08, 2015, 08:06:00 AM »
Bones is lovely to work with - easy to cut, easy to glue. Just make sure you give it a good wash beforehand and make sure the primer is absolutely bone (lol) dry before you start painting.

Sounds like you are talking about actual bone. Are you trying to tell us something, dr. Lecter?
Now go! Ride towards the sun atop these noble steeds
You're our spandex heroes, now fullfil your destinies
And so we turned and rode beyond the castle walls
with shiny codpiece armour that doth cradle our chivalrous balls

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
Re: Pandemonium Multi-PLog (Unconventional mercenaries & a witch)
« Reply #71 on: February 15, 2015, 04:10:17 PM »
Painted a witch to go with the not-quite-undead-yet. Also rebased a great orc mercenary to fit with the others. Need to get at least one more & paint it up for the min unit size.

Offline Shadespyre

• Members
« Reply #72 on: February 15, 2015, 04:22:08 PM »
Once again, I love the work with the limited palette on that witch. Do you have a basing plan for the undead force? Will you maintain the look or emphasise it by using brighter materials?

Offline steveb

• Members
« Reply #73 on: February 16, 2015, 02:35:39 AM »
witch and orcs are top notch,    steveb

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
« Reply #74 on: February 17, 2015, 02:50:21 AM »
Thanks guys.  :::cheers:::

As far as the bases, I will probably stick with something generally similar to my other figures & terrain, so it will all match. I'm planning on building another table too, so would like to keep it somewhat consistent. However, I've got some ideas for some minor changes & details for the undead bases that might tie them to the figures a bit. I need to do a bit of experimenting, though.