home

Author Topic: Pandemonium Multi-PLog (update: out)  (Read 296173 times)

Offline Shadespyre

• Members
Re: Pandemonium Multi-PLog
« Reply #350 on: October 21, 2015, 08:22:03 PM »
Those Black Knights look okay from here! Sometimes you just have to get the job done and move on, I don't think you can love every unit you paint.

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
  • i'm a mercenary doom bringer
« Reply #351 on: October 22, 2015, 03:25:39 AM »
Yeah, that's what I figure, too. I don't think they look bad, by any stretch. Just not top of the line. But my plan was to do a lot of (mostly) speed painting on this project, and these things have been sitting on my painting table for months. Happy to see them on the *gaming* table now.

Offline Zygmund

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
    • https://www.facebook.com/groups/288460758594334
« Reply #352 on: October 23, 2015, 08:05:57 AM »
Splendid, splendid. :)

I've got stuff on my "painting table" that's been standing there, what, six years... Even the newest ones have now stood there six months... :icon_rolleyes:

I congratulate you for having the motivation and the Sitzfleisch to just do the thing.  :eusa_clap:

-Z
Live in peace and prosper.

Offline mottdon

• Members
« Reply #353 on: October 23, 2015, 01:18:53 PM »
Great job!  It really is such a relief to "let go" of a project and call it done!   :eusa_clap:

Offline Booah

• Members
« Reply #354 on: October 24, 2015, 06:16:15 AM »
The black Knights are brilliant. It's always a pain when you have something half done but you are motivated to do something else but also really want to clear the older stuff. I've recently completed my island of blood elves and it was such a relief.

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
« Reply #355 on: October 26, 2015, 10:06:23 PM »

Painted two individual figures. First up is Phil. Phil the Spectre. He's a plastic "wight lord" kit from GW, and as with the black knights, I'm really impressed at the quality. Phil will probably end up leading a skeletal infantry division. I think it's only appropriate to give him aggressive & violent stats, and the ability to cast some sort of "wall of sound" spell.

Next is a figure I sculpted long ago. I have a handful of castings from when it was available from Black Orc Games (they seem to have disappeared?) I've only painted one of them before & thought I would paint one to fit with the palette of the current project.

Offline Shadespyre

• Members
« Reply #356 on: October 26, 2015, 11:15:05 PM »
I'm a big fan of those vulture things, works really well with this project too.

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
« Reply #357 on: October 28, 2015, 02:52:24 AM »
Thanks! My sculpting skills are pretty rudimentary, but I've been getting the itch to pick it up again and try to improve my skills a bit.

I finished the second Jabberwock. This is a 1980s Ral Partha figure. A pretty good match for the Citadel Jabberwock!

(I swear, I have some actual Empire stuff coming soon. I've painted up a standard bearer, but just haven't made up my mind on the standard itself, yet.)

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #358 on: October 28, 2015, 10:48:25 AM »
Interesting how similar those are, thanks for posting the comparison.
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
« Reply #359 on: October 30, 2015, 07:44:59 PM »
Well, they're both really pretty close to the original (19th century) book illustration by John Tenniel. Minus the vest, thank goodness.

One last figure I was painting along with the last few, the old Citadel "Death Elemental." Turned out a bit dull with the usual color palette. But then, I'm not sure he should be any more colorful or exciting. Not a very good photo, either. He's on a 40mm base, to give an idea of scale.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #360 on: October 30, 2015, 09:08:38 PM »
Don't recall seeing that figure previously.  With the 40mm base, does that means he is taller than average?

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #361 on: October 31, 2015, 12:29:01 PM »
The jabberwocks look fantastic!

The death elemental can go out trick or treating tonight! He looks like he'd turn out not to be wearing a mask though...
Hey, I could still beat up a woman!
If I wanted to.

Offline Mightymatt88

• Members
« Reply #362 on: October 31, 2015, 02:19:11 PM »
Phil the spectre is awesome! I've always liked that figure and have been trying to come up with a legitimate reason to buy it. I love the way you've achieved the rusted metal and your painting really captures the dynamic pose well  :::cheers:::

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
« Reply #363 on: November 01, 2015, 09:53:14 AM »
Don't recall seeing that figure previously.  With the 40mm base, does that means he is taller than average?

A little larger than average. Definitely larger than other figures of his day, but I'm guessing a lot of the more modern chaos characters are similarly sized.

There is also one more "elemental," for the completest...

Phil the spectre is awesome! I've always liked that figure and have been trying to come up with a legitimate reason to buy it. I love the way you've achieved the rusted metal and your painting really captures the dynamic pose well  :::cheers:::

Thanks. I think it's a great kit. After I started this undead project, I knew I had to have it. I wish they had a mounted equivalent. I like the old mounted Wight King, but would like to see something done more in the style of this & the Black Knights.

Some lousy photos of one of the next things on my table. A pair of old Marauder dwarf swivel guns. I bought them eBay ages ago, but the package arrived damaged and a few parts were missing. It's taken me years to finally get around to creating a few replacement parts (one and a half of the two frames) for the guns. My plan is to mount these on 40mm bases and use them to bolster my insufficient numbers (10) of Marauder dwarfs with handguns.

They're cast in a very soft, presumably lead-heavy alloy. You can print pretty clearly with them on paper.

My time the past few days, however, has been taken up with building a mask for my daughter. She has been changing her mind every few days as to what she wanted to be for Haloween. With just a couple days to go, she really wanted to be a dinosaur. I ran out of time for some of the details (and rest of the teeth). As it turns out, the poor kid is really sick and didn't wear the mask anyway -- though she did go trick-or-treating for just a bit, dressed as Super Girl.

At the end of the day, T-rex (shown here after my daughter had painted it earlier in the day) got into some of the left-over candy. It is a well accepted fact that T-rex was not just a predator, but was an opportunist not above scavenging.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #364 on: November 01, 2015, 03:22:53 PM »
Hadn't seen any of those elementals before, thanks for posting them.  INterestong that they packaged the life and death elementals together, and I like that earth elemental. :::cheers:::

Great work on the dinosaur mask! :icon_cool: :eusa_clap:

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #365 on: November 02, 2015, 12:16:14 AM »
The death elemental looks really well done, very classic look.

The mask however is just all kinds of awesome.

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
« Reply #366 on: November 14, 2015, 06:53:30 AM »
Thanks. I'll post more elemental stuff soon.

I'm thinking about trees. I need to upgrade the few I have, and make some more. So I'm thinking about combining various ideas from around the internets...

http://www.beastsofwar.com/terrain/terrainscaping-awesome-tabletop-trees/
http://crookedstaff.blogspot.com/2014/07/diy-wargamingrpg-trees_4.html
http://1000footgeneral.blogspot.de/2012/10/flocktober-improving-wargame-trees.html

I'm busy trying to catch up with some vinyl toy stuff, so probably not much work on minis/gaming stuff for a little bit. And then I'm thinking about making one last push for some more undead in Deadcember. Various ramblings, photos, etc. on my webblogsitethingie... http://www.zerotwentythree.com/

Offline Shadespyre

• Members
« Reply #367 on: November 14, 2015, 02:26:15 PM »
Making trees always looks like such hard work, but then buying them always seems damned expensive. Mind you, that applies to most terrain projects, doesn't it?  :eusa_wall:

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
« Reply #368 on: November 16, 2015, 04:01:00 AM »
Yes, but particularly to trees, if you want them to look decent.

I've got a kit with a bunch of 4"-5" tree trunks, but those seem like small trees to me. I'd like some larger ones, so that's why I was looking. I will probably try some big trees like the ones at the first link above.

I've been basing them on single washers. I'm debating whether to continue that or whether to base them in small clusters of 2-3 trees. (In any case, they will be movable within a larger, marked out "forest" area.

Offline Midaski

• Sunny Sussex, England
  • Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #369 on: November 16, 2015, 10:18:38 AM »
I have pondered much the same on trees.

The 'standard' gaming ones are pretty unrealistic.
When you consider the different sizes of tree trunks relative to a man and how you can walk through a wood under trees then the shaped ones you normally get are very boring.

I have a plan with the 4Ground wood bases with removable 60mm circles to do uniform basing, but be able to have multiple choices of 60mm based trees to drop in.
So normal 'green' deciduous lands, or maybe jungle, and even palm trees or cactus.

Bishmeister's thread has scenery episode in it. Page 15

http://warhammer-empire.com/theforum/index.php/topic,41943.msg902257.html#msg902257

more in this one.
http://warhammer-empire.com/theforum/index.php/topic,50238.msg941809.html#msg941809

and this thread is gold:
http://warhammer-empire.com/theforum/index.php/topic,45979.msg804460.html#msg804460

and another member
http://warhammer-empire.com/theforum/index.php/topic,50279.msg939072.html#msg939072
Quote from: Gneisenau
Metal to Finecast - It is mostly a swap of medium. 

You mean they will be using Ouija boards instead of Tarot cards for their business plans from now on?

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
« Reply #370 on: November 16, 2015, 03:18:52 PM »
Thank you for the links. Good material for my upcoming endeavors! I really like the hydrangea trees. (I'm now considering a late night stealth mission with some clippers at a house down the street...) They are beautiful, but I wonder how durable they are.

I do think I saw just some of that before, and it was my inspiration for some earlier attempts as small/medium foliage.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #371 on: November 16, 2015, 03:39:54 PM »
Those trees look more like equatorial region types, although perhaps could pass as being in a swamp area.

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
« Reply #372 on: November 16, 2015, 05:45:25 PM »
My goal was to have them as swamp plants, but I agree, they may look better in either a tropical or arid/desert setting. Still acceptable to me, but I would probably prefer to see a lot of other types, with just a few of these mixed in.

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
« Reply #373 on: November 19, 2015, 06:47:13 PM »
I found that cheap furnace filter mentioned in the one tree making article, so I am ready to go when I get some time. Been busy with other things (vinyl toys) so no trees yet. BUT, I did make a little progress on some of the oldschool dwarf handgunners.

This is 5 of the 10 I have. I hope to have the first of the two swivel guns (and crew) done soon, too. My goal is to get them all done by the end of November. Unfortunately, I have noticed something... my plan was to put the swivel guns & crew on 40x40 bases and have them occupy the space of 4 regular handgunners. But I don't think 40mm is enough depth to fit the gun frame and the crewman holding the back end of the gun. Maybe make them 40 wide by 60mm deep and pretend the extra depth isn't there for gaming purposes (as much as possible)?

Offline Shadespyre

• Members
« Reply #374 on: November 19, 2015, 08:42:59 PM »
Hmmm, sounds like an unsatisfying solution. I'd suggest you buy more dwarves, but missile troops look strange in three ranks ( though that is a Warhammer hang up, perhaps. ) Would they fit at a diagonal angle on a 40mm base? Or something close enough to 40mm that you can obscure the difference with a clever movement tray. Oh, for that matter, do the bases have to be rectangular - I'm thinking of a triangle or curve at the (back) edge deep enough to hold the model. Or yet another idea is to raise the model up on a rock or similar which is larger than the 40mm base, yet leaves the model with a functional 40mm square base.

Or, yeah, more dwarves!  :icon_smile: