home

Author Topic: Pandemonium Multi-PLog (update: out)  (Read 296170 times)

Offline Doc J

• Members
  • The Prince of Brooklyn Park
Re: Pandemonium Multi-PLog (open for critique)
« Reply #550 on: March 03, 2016, 06:57:29 PM »
Im looking forward to seeing the new Fomorian painted up how are you gonna base it? If I can give an idea for the future, I think a frog spear would fit their swampy theme.
In the words of the late great Nicki Minaj - Ya done son

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #551 on: March 03, 2016, 07:02:11 PM »
I absolutely love the base on that frog demon. Everytime I try and make a base like that it ends up looking like a child threw sand on the table and ran away.

Offline Shadespyre

• Members
« Reply #552 on: March 03, 2016, 07:36:28 PM »
Nice to see Kermit based, with a slightly marshier version of the other bases you've done. I think you were absolutely right not to change the base style too much - it'll look nice when they're all on the table together.

I'd prefer it if you kept everything in one place - more regular updates all in one place is nicer, I think.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #553 on: March 03, 2016, 08:35:05 PM »
I'm flexible on how folks set up their hobby threads.  If I recall, this one is all based around setting your figures in motion northwest of Marienburg, and the idea was to have multiple types of figures to develop story and games.  It is very enjoyable. :icon_biggrin: :::cheers:::
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
  • i'm a mercenary doom bringer
« Reply #554 on: March 05, 2016, 05:23:09 AM »
Nice to see Kermit based,

Haha, I think I'm going to call him that from now on. Or Kermeth.

Im looking forward to seeing the new Fomorian painted up how are you gonna base it? If I can give an idea for the future, I think a frog spear would fit their swampy theme.

Frog spear could be cool! The trick will be constructing one...

If I recall, this one is all based around setting your figures in motion northwest of Marienburg, and the idea was to have multiple types of figures to develop story and games.

Yes, most of what I've got in mind is set in the Marienburg and the western Wasteland.

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
« Reply #555 on: March 05, 2016, 05:24:50 AM »
Finished a second Fomorian/Fimir. This one uses another "reject" club tail sculpt. I did end up sculpting the feet on this one, too. The flesh turned out a little too green for my preference. But I would like to have a bit of subtle variation in flesh tones, so I can live with it on this one figure.

I have started chopping up a third. Here's the start. My plans are to replace the weapon, replace the feet, cut the spikes off of the pauldrons (my one complaint about these orcs is that half of them have pauldrons -- I would prefer my Fimm without any,) most likely cut the spikes off of the shield face as well, carve out the middle third of the lower armour in the back to accommodate a tale, and, of course, add a tail. May be one more one-off tail.

I continue to procrastinate in regard to sculpting some decent, castable tails. But it needs done. Soon. Besides, sculpting individual tails is even worse.

Offline Doc J

• Members
« Reply #556 on: March 05, 2016, 02:03:25 PM »
Looks great painted up, do you have any Ideas as to smaller troops like some goblinoid boglings?

Offline King

• Members
  • Island-fortress of Malta
« Reply #557 on: March 05, 2016, 04:53:50 PM »
Gorgeous  :happy:
We cannot direct the wind, but we can adjust our sails....

Link to my blog http://www.warhammer-empire.com/theforum/index.php?topic=23114.0

Offline steveb

• Members
« Reply #558 on: March 05, 2016, 07:08:41 PM »
I love your fimir conversions. steveb

Offline King

• Members
« Reply #559 on: March 07, 2016, 07:08:42 AM »
Absolutely gorgeous

Link to my blog http://www.warhammer-empire.com/theforum/index.php?topic=23114.0

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
« Reply #560 on: March 08, 2016, 07:09:14 AM »
Thank you!

Slow but steady progress...

Also I think I've decided that smaller & simpler tails are the way to go. I like these two better than some of the others I've posted and/or used. They may be candidates for casting, once they're cleaned up a bit more.

Still working on commission/trade stuff, too...

Offline Doc J

• Members
« Reply #561 on: March 08, 2016, 12:28:45 PM »
How many are you looking at for the unit?

Offline Shadespyre

• Members
« Reply #562 on: March 08, 2016, 09:00:45 PM »
The fimir are just great!!!  :eusa_clap:

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #563 on: March 09, 2016, 02:17:15 AM »
I continue to like the fimir project. :icon_cool: :eusa_clap:

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #564 on: March 09, 2016, 02:39:06 AM »
The guy with the mace looks fantastic! This project is awesome.

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
« Reply #565 on: March 09, 2016, 04:17:38 PM »
How many are you looking at for the unit?

I've got a vague notion of "build and paint a lot of them" for use in various games. For the moment, my basic "building blocks" for several sets of rules has been sets of four 40x40 bases for regular units of infantry. Units of six are the next step up, and then eight (which is, obviously, just two units of four, combined.) So.... not much of a plan, really. Just going to keep painting and aim for multiples of four.

Since Shadow Storm/Hail Caesar has been my initial focus, a single unit of four is enough to field in a game, and a set of maybe four units, plus a commander, and maybe a creature would be a good size for an initial division in that game. So after this first set of four is complete, I'm going to aim for 12 more.

These conversions based on the Reaper orcs represent, in my mind, a majority "warrior class." I would like to work out a conversion for lesser (unarmoured) warriors after that, plus a few command figures. I recently learned of this figure: http://www.troll-outpost.de/index.php/minis/mercaneries/swamp-folk-warrior.html which I think I would get like for a commander/general as soon as I am able.

Offline Shadespyre

• Members
« Reply #566 on: March 09, 2016, 09:12:32 PM »
Oh wow, Troll Outpost have re-appeared? I bought their lovely Vampire Lord model ages ago (I recently used the horse for my Vampire Lady!) and then lost track of them. Thanks for pointing that out. :) That Swamp Folk chappy looks ideal, if the size works out.

16 of these guys sounds like a challenge, but not too extreme. Not so many that you will hate doing the last few, which is important in my eyes.

I don't suppose it's as easy as Reaper doing some unarmoured orcs, too? That would be nice...

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
« Reply #567 on: March 10, 2016, 06:52:22 AM »
Oh wow, Troll Outpost have re-appeared? I bought their lovely Vampire Lord model ages ago (I recently used the horse for my Vampire Lady!) and then lost track of them. Thanks for pointing that out. :) That Swamp Folk chappy looks ideal, if the size works out.

16 of these guys sounds like a challenge, but not too extreme. Not so many that you will hate doing the last few, which is important in my eyes.

I don't suppose it's as easy as Reaper doing some unarmoured orcs, too? That would be nice...

I'm going to look some more, but I haven't seen what I'm looking for from Reaper. I would really like to keep them simple, like the three classic Fimm Warriors from the old CItadel range: http://www.solegends.com/citcat912/c20295fimir.jpg I've seen a few people use plastic savage orcs for their Fimir conversions, but I don't like the bones & tusks hanging all over the figures. I've been debating whether I'm up for trying to sculpt a couple of bodies like that myself. I would like to... I just need to get past being intimidated by the challenge.

Getting my smooth on.

New silicone arrived. I'm going to try my first two part mold in the next few days, maybe a small one for those two tails I posted.

I like how the packaging urgently implores you, "MAKE IT NOW!"

I've also been thinking I should just go ahead and do something to finish this really old & incomplete sculpt. It started off as a one-off, but then I cut it up and reworked it to make it castable. (The arms are separate and just held on with poster-tack in the photo.) But I sort of lost track of what I waned to do with this, and don't have quite the enthusiasm for it anymore. So maybe just a couple of open hands gesturing, except... I'm not sure how well that will work when the plane of the arms/sleeves and plane of the hands are fixed 90 degrees from each other. But, on the other hand, that will make this a good learning experience for mold making, I suppose. But on the other, other hand, I'm not certain what I would do with more than one of him, so maybe I shouldn't waste the silicone on a figure I don't have a use for at the moment. Especially when there are other (unsculpted, as of yet) things I do have a use for. (Like the above mentioned warriors.)

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #568 on: March 10, 2016, 05:20:20 PM »
That swamp creature looks like he'd make a good warlord.  Also, I noticed that it's tail seems more like the tails of the female fimir's without a weapon like end to it.

Offline Sixt

• Members
« Reply #569 on: March 10, 2016, 11:09:05 PM »
Fimorians look great!

Good luck with the casting!
My other plog, with more elves, dwarves, and ogres than Halflings at the moment - http://garagehammer.net/forum/index.php?topic=2629.0
The Halfling Horde - http://warhammer-empire.com/theforum/index.php?topic=46992.0;nowap

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
« Reply #570 on: March 11, 2016, 11:37:20 PM »
Thanks! Although I did some reading and even took casting class a year ago, I really have you to thank for helping me with some of the details that really got me through these first molds & casts.  :::cheers:::

My basic building block is groups of four 40x40 bases for most infantry. So this is my first little milestone, four Fomorians/Fimir.

That's one prototype, three with cast heads but individually sculpted tails.

I had some ups & downs with my first two-part mold, trying to cast a couple of basic tail designs that I could use for future figures.

First, I mixed up far too much silicone. So the first half of the mold (top) is way too thick, and I still had enough left to pour a single "cup" mold of one of the preferred heads. (Which is an OK thing, I guess because those molds deteriorated quickly -- though I've probably got more than enough heads at this point.)

Next, my first casting (left) didn't work so well. I knew I should have created some vents, but for whatever reason, I decided I preferred the trial & error method of learning. So, I removed the failed castings and then cut some vents (right.) Below is the second cast -- success! (Though not without an air bubble or two.)

So after this whole process -- a few one-piece block molds, and my first two-piece, plus building an initial unit of four figures, where do things stand?

1. A Fomorian/Fimir army is GO. I still need to work out things like what to do for everything besides the armored warriors/Fianna Fimm. But I can see that it's within reach. I will start with roughly a "division" -- about four units of four figures, plus a general, and one or two critters. So with the figures above plus the bog demon, I'm about 25% into that first goal.

2. Casting is GO. I'm still working on refining technique, checking out further materials and tools, and getting better castings. But I've got over the big hump of starting out and achieving a degree of success. I have the equipment for a pressure pot, but nowhere to use the air compressor. I've seen a manual bike pump used before, so I think I will try that. I hope that the pressure pot will produce better molds & castings. I think my next step will be to try molding & casting a full figure or two. That will give me some further practice in all aspects -- sculpting, molding, and casting.

Oooh, and just a week away from (hopefully) getting to play a few games! It has been years since I've played anything, and just as longs since I've seen a lot of my old friends, so I'm really looking forward to this!

Offline King

• Members
« Reply #571 on: March 13, 2016, 01:02:07 PM »
I would be interested in buying some heads and tails off you 023 :)

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
« Reply #572 on: March 14, 2016, 02:38:14 AM »
Initially I was going to cast a bunch and sell off those I didn't need, but I had increasing problems with bubbles and molds degrading as I went, so quite a few of the heads need cleaned/patched quite bit. I only have a couple of tails cast so far, anyway. I need to cast more of those, and then sort through the various qualities of heads. If I do sell them, it will be pretty inexpensive and just to help me cover the cost of materials and I will let you know.

In the interest of upping my casting game, I've been looking into further info.

I spotted this last year and hunted it down again, and I'm still looking for more information on it. Looks like someone took a couple of heavy duty floor fans, bolted a plate to it, then poured their molds in cake pans. Brilliant DIY spincaster. https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10153536908324568.1073741869.6524129567&type=3

And some good examples of mold layout & venting. This is the first I've seen of the forum, I may have to dive into it for more useful info. http://www.resinaddict.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=721

Edit:

Another: http://www.resinaddict.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=80
« Last Edit: March 14, 2016, 02:50:43 AM by ZeroTwentythree »

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
« Reply #573 on: March 14, 2016, 05:41:50 AM »

I think I've come to the conclusion that there's no real point in casting this guy anymore, so I'm going to finish him as a one-off for myself and just it done. So I ended up wasting time with cutting the arms off and reposing them. I also wasted some more time today taking another shot at sculpting some hands on him, so I tried out some modified hands from elsewhere. I was working on sculpting over-sized hands on him, but now that I see these, I'm wondering if this is too large. The concept was long arms & large hands to relate to the huge wings of vultures. I may leave this on the desk for a bit so I can keep looking at it and overthink it some more. It's been half finished for years, no point in hurrying now. ;)

I've been wanting to work on the unpainted 'shrooms from DeafNala (look back a few pages) but hadn't made up my mind about colors scheme. I just knew I didn't want to try to replicate the one he used on the painted 'shrooms he also sent. I ended up going with this test subject for two reasons. One is that it's a big contrast with his colors, and is also similar to the tiny purple 'shrooms I put on a few of the recent Fomorian/Fimir bases. This turned out a bit darker, but I'm OK with that. Maybe that happens as they age/grow.

I'm thinking about basing them up on some small group bases, with a bunch of plain, tiny 'shrooms around them. Then I can put small patches around other terrain features (next to the barn, in woods or marsh, etc.) or custer them together in a larger 'shroom field or fairy ring.

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
« Reply #574 on: March 18, 2016, 09:00:44 PM »
Not every painted figure is a winner. Thus, I present, the really crappy giant centipede...

I was trying to paint it up a bit like one of these...

I also finished & primed the little vulture guy, stealing some Mordheim bits to complete the figure.