home

Author Topic: Pandemonium Multi-PLog (update: out)  (Read 296452 times)

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
  • i'm a mercenary doom bringer
Re: Pandemonium Multi-PLog (open for critique)
« Reply #625 on: April 30, 2016, 05:13:18 PM »
Also struggling with my back recently - my hobby posture doesn't help, I often find myself bent double over something I'm concentrating on!

A good trick I discovered is to keep my work surface up higher than a regular table. I currently paint & sculpt at a drafting table set at about 36" high. I sit on a stool that's at regular chair height (around 16".) This helps keep me from hunching over, as the work surface is closer to chest height. (Previously I had some blocks under a regular writing desk.)

But I've strained & restrained my back on a variety of other, unrelated tasks over the past couple weeks.  "What a draaaaag is is getting old.:wink:

That's a lovely clan of giant-kin you've got now - is the furry one a GW yhettee or what? Looks particularly interesting.

Thanks. Back before the Skaven Abomination existed, I wanted a monster in my army. So I sculpted that to use as a DoW giant. It's a little rough, but I'm still fond of it.

Offline Shadespyre

• Members
« Reply #626 on: April 30, 2016, 06:42:58 PM »
He's a beaut! I just knew it was something special  :eusa_clap:

I need to raise my table up. My PC desk is a good height, but because I thought I'd be moving a lot my workbench is a folding table a good foot lower. The other problem is that the space underneath it is full so I can't really sit at it properly. I always seem to end up working with stuff in my lap.

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #627 on: April 30, 2016, 07:06:36 PM »
Man those giants look awesome. I was going to ask about the furry one as well, didn't realise it's a Skaven giant. You say you sculpted that beauty yourself!? Did you use something as a base?

The river is good as well. I've tried for years to make decent rivers and still can't get anything that looks decent. I think in my last game at home I used a blue garbage bag cut into sections, that was the best we had.

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
« Reply #628 on: April 30, 2016, 07:48:23 PM »

Yeah, blue paper or cloth has been my standard for rivers for a long time. Been wanting to do this for ages.

The Skaven giant is based on wire (coat hangar, I think) & home repair epoxy as the base. Greenstuff over that.

Offline steveb

• Members
« Reply #629 on: May 01, 2016, 05:02:49 PM »
lovely skaven giant, I am entirely envious of your sculpting skills.  steveb

Offline Siberius

• Members
  • The Minotaur Cat
« Reply #630 on: May 01, 2016, 07:13:32 PM »
This may sound odd, but in your pic of the giants, with nothing smaller to use for scale, it is easy to think of them of being normal size!

Good to see the water, I am affraid I have put all my energy into Necromunda terrain lately and pretty much ignored fantasy stuff.
Quote from: PhillyT
Magic does not have nearly the same problems with power levels as magic. 

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
« Reply #631 on: May 03, 2016, 03:00:34 AM »

Offline Zak

• Members
  • Mad Viking
    • Mad Viking
« Reply #632 on: May 03, 2016, 11:31:14 AM »
wow skaven giant is a win !!!!
Yes I'm dyslexic so what

Offline Von Kurst

• Members
« Reply #633 on: May 03, 2016, 11:59:52 AM »
Love the Oldhammer character sheet  :::cheers:::
“Why is the rum always gone?” -Captain Jack Sparrow
"It is, it is a glorious thing To be a Pirate King."
 -Gilbert, Sir W(illiam) S(chwenck)

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #634 on: May 03, 2016, 12:25:52 PM »
That is quite the impressive sculpt of a skaven giant! :eusa_clap: :::cheers:::
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #635 on: May 03, 2016, 03:13:18 PM »
Thanks for the extra water terrain pics.
Do you have any of the bridge pieces?
I have really struggled with bridges, so just make use of the fjords I built into it.

Swamp looks great too - I need to finish mine too...
Quote from: Gneisenau
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
« Reply #636 on: May 04, 2016, 06:05:10 AM »
Thanks everyone.

Thanks for the extra water terrain pics.
Do you have any of the bridge pieces?
I have really struggled with bridges, so just make use of the fjords I built into it.

I haven't built any bridges yet, they are on my to-do list. I have one ford for the big river, and will make at least one more. Plus I'd like to do two bridges - a simple wood bridge, and a stone bridge. Maybe a hybrid as well? Something with wood spanning between stone piers?

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #637 on: May 04, 2016, 02:23:11 PM »
A hybrid would look beautiful.

I need something - the stone one I made looked terrible. Thinking the bridge(s) I will make will probably only fit between the river pieces, rather than trying to span the river and embankment entirely.
Quote from: Gneisenau
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
« Reply #638 on: May 04, 2016, 05:57:21 PM »
I think I may try making a river section with a bridge permanently built upon/over it.

I was going to make my own stone bridge, but it may be far easier to just buy one, such as...

http://www.armorcast.com/fantasy/bridges/medium-stone-bridge

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
« Reply #639 on: May 06, 2016, 11:31:32 AM »
I'm climbing out of the funk of the last few weeks. A lot of things contributed to me not really painting miniatures much. But now we're all getting over our various recent illnesses in the household, my back is (mostly) feeling better, new glasses arrived, and I got a couple nights of good sleep.

In the mean time, I've been wrapping up "wave two" of my terrain binge. Here's a pic of most of what I've done lately.

4" river sections, 2" river sections, bogs, shrubs, and muddy dirt road. Kind of oldschool & cartoony looking, but that's the way we roll in the lonely attic.

But the real big deal is... I sat at the desk and actually applied paint to a couple of half-finished figures that I had wanted to wrap up a couple weeks ago. (The Ultraforge giant and a vampire I need to send off in the mail.)  I also applied quite a bit of GW Nuln Oil wash to my desk. About half of a new bottle, when I accidentally tipped it over. I'm looking forward to finishing both ASAP. Both figures, that is. Not the desk.

Offline Shadespyre

• Members
« Reply #640 on: May 06, 2016, 12:08:15 PM »
Excellent work, already more than you'll use at once, which is good for lots of options. Do you have a small river to large river confluence in your collection (not trying to make you more work but...).

Was it, by any chance, one of the new, bigger GW wash bottles? I'm paranoid about mine, I think I might glue it to a nice stable base for safety!

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
« Reply #641 on: May 06, 2016, 01:25:26 PM »
Not sure about the bottle as this was the last from a stash I purchased last Summer and I can't keep up with the changes they keep making to their paints. The washes are about the only ones from GW that I still use. I was so annoyed. I was trying to recover from the spill with a dropper, but wasn't getting very far. So i just used as much of it straight from the table as I could - whih meant the giant got like 90% of his planned black wash areas done before I wanted to do it.  :icon_lol:

I've sketched out the pieces of rivers & roads I want to make with the remaining bits of board as a "wave three" terrain building binge. That includes various junction pieces (including the small river joining the larger, two smalls merging to form the large, etc), a few more another ford or two for the big river, a few bridges, and maybe a river mouth & small table-edge coastline.

Offline Shadespyre

• Members
« Reply #642 on: May 06, 2016, 03:56:28 PM »
Oxbow lake please! ;) Sounds like Wave 3 will be awesome, too.

I always like the idea of making scenery, and have a few bits tucked away - a few small woods and hills and some walls, I think . But it always comes down to time where I could be painting miniatures, and I'm lucky that my regular gaming buddy has a double garage packed full of scenery that we can use, so I never quite get a big project like yours going.

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
« Reply #643 on: May 12, 2016, 08:50:02 PM »
I've more or less finished the Ultraforge giant. I just have to decide how to do his base (and the base on the Marauder giant.)

There's some more late night rambling about the giant and what I'm planning next on my blog.

http://www.zerotwentythree.com/2016/05/ultraforge-giant-almost-done-whats-next.html

(Spoiler alert! I think I'm going to do some new Empire stuff.  :wink: )

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #644 on: May 12, 2016, 10:14:53 PM »
Looking forward to seeing the upcoming Marienburgers!
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
« Reply #645 on: May 15, 2016, 05:18:26 PM »
OK, last time I post pics of these same giants - they're finally, completely done!

And one last shot of giant size hierarchy. :)

On to new stuff!

Offline Shadespyre

• Members
« Reply #646 on: May 15, 2016, 10:22:27 PM »
Nice base work: carries on with the theme, not too empty, not too busy  :eusa_clap:

Offline Von Kurst

• Members
« Reply #647 on: May 16, 2016, 01:24:55 PM »
Great work on the giants  :::cheers:::
“Why is the rum always gone?” -Captain Jack Sparrow
"It is, it is a glorious thing To be a Pirate King."
 -Gilbert, Sir W(illiam) S(chwenck)

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
Re: Pandemonium Multi-PLog (back to Marienburg!)
« Reply #648 on: May 18, 2016, 04:55:18 PM »
I'm heading back to Marienburg for a bit!

First on the menu are halberdiers. Long overdue -- they've been the one missing troop type from my army! I've got some of the usual oldschool plastics cleaned, assembled and primed, as well as some metal WotR era figures I will be using as rural militia.

I thought I would try out some other figures, too. I have some assorted pikemen with pikes held low/level. I don't like using them with pikes because of the problem of using them in games. So I was thinking they might make good halberdiers. Here are two quick test figures. The poses look OK for halberds?

Offline FrancMarson

• Members
Re: Pandemonium Multi-PLog (back to Marienburg!)
« Reply #649 on: May 18, 2016, 07:40:23 PM »
Very nice testing figures!
For the poses i have to say that the first one on the left is good to go while the other one has still a "pike" position. But he's OK :icon_wink: