home

Author Topic: Drop troop plog *DW and vendetta complete and other bits *  (Read 10758 times)

Offline FR1DAY

• Members
Drop troop plog *DW and vendetta complete and other bits *
« on: November 25, 2014, 10:40:22 PM »
I've been thinking of expanding my space marine army, and although I intend to add many more marine is fancied something else.

I toyed with the idea of a blood axe ork army, but realise the huge amount of work it will need. To this end i have reduced my ambitions on adding a new army. I've decided to add a drop troop allied detachment, using the Elysian list from IA3 2nd. I will be coming back to the orks however.

My initial plan is to add a platoon of drop troop infantry and a HQ for a legal force. These guys will deep strike onto the table and, try, to secure an objective. I intend to keep the points down on the detachment as it is semi sacrificial.

Model wise i have decided to use Mad Robot miniatures. They do some very nice Sci-Fi human models. http://madrobotminiatures.com/zencart/
I also got some underslung grenade launchers from Anvil industries to make the AGL's the drop troops have access to.

I have gone with the colonial defence force range, basically colonial marines for Alien. I have also bought them all grav packs, which cost a bit, but reflects their deployment method so was worth it.

This is the list i intend to add to my force

Captain Thandstadt - IC captain without command squad, gives all troops within 12" stubborn and his unit fearless. This should be good for keeping them on an objective.
Platoon command - Lieutenant with AGL and 4 melta guns
2 Infantry squads - sargeant with AGL and grenade launcher
2 SWS squads - three flamers

Hopefully this little lot comes to about 360pts, has 38 bodies who should all be in the stubborn bubble, and i'll have 3 orders to use. These orders, all LD10, will allow me to give the fire and move order allowing them to disperse while getting their shots off. They could also go for the run, run, run and make sure they get into cover.
The flamers will give me 6 templates to thin out some hordes if required and clear out objectives for the squads to occupy.

The parcel arrive from America today

I'll start the assembly tomorrow. They are drying from their early bath to remove the mould release chemicals.

I have also already been out and got a new set of paints to paint them in. I'm going for a savannah camo pattern on them.

Stay tuned guard fans
« Last Edit: November 26, 2016, 11:28:19 AM by FR1DAY »
There are 40 different shades of black, so many fortresses and ways to attack.

So why you complaining!

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
Re: Drop troop plog
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2014, 10:53:23 PM »
Sounds good! Get on with it!
Hey, I could still beat up a woman!
If I wanted to.

Offline Finlay

• Members
  • C'mon Son
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2014, 11:13:09 PM »
sounds cool!
I don't care about the rules.

Pass the machete.

Offline Aldaris

• Members
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2014, 11:44:26 PM »
Nice! Epic Infantry fights will be goin' on!

Offline Aldaris

• Members
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2014, 04:29:50 PM »
Oh, one question though. Why are all orders resolved at LD10? You realize that you roll on the LD of the recipient unit, not the one giving the orders, right?

Offline FR1DAY

• Members
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2014, 05:23:24 PM »
Dont guard officers allow unit within 12" use thier ld. Like a general in wfb?
is that what vox units do?

So why you complaining!

Offline Aldaris

• Members
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2014, 06:31:02 PM »
Nah, they don't spread their Ld around, sorry. Lord Commissars have a 6" Ld aura, but it's only for fear, morale and pinning tests. Voxes give you a reroll if both the officers and the recipients unit have a voxcaster.

It's one of the reasons (besides the vulnerability) why heavy weapon squads aren't very popular. No sergeant, and no vox means always testing for orders on 7, unless you attach a higher Ld character.

Offline Midaski

• Sunny Sussex, England
  • Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2014, 09:53:13 PM »
You were supposed to tell him that before he ordered all the minis ................................  :icon_evil:

PS - I have loads and loads of unused Catachans I would have given you ......................  :engel:
Quote from: Gneisenau
Metal to Finecast - It is mostly a swap of medium. 

You mean they will be using Ouija boards instead of Tarot cards for their business plans from now on?

Offline Aldaris

• Members
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2014, 09:59:07 PM »
You do? I can still use these! I only have 15 built ones so far ordered, need plenty more.
We can switch to PM for details if you wanna part with those.

And what Adam bought still works pretty fine. It's just not quite as reliable as he thought!

Offline FR1DAY

• Members
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2014, 05:54:02 PM »
Right oh, like you said still workable, but not as workable as i thought. I can put the captain in a sws squard for Ld10 to ge the shoot and move order. Squads and command are ld 8 so a reasonsalbe chance. I might spend the 15pts to get the vox's in.

I will be assembling some tonight. The elctrics in my new painting room are getting done tomorrow so i can set it up and get cracking. A big do not disturb sign is needed for it!

So why you complaining!

Offline Aldaris

• Members
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2014, 06:21:58 PM »
Cool, looking forward to seeing the first test model in camo paint!

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2014, 10:01:38 PM »
The elctrics in my new painting room are getting done tomorrow

New painting room! Gosh.
If I wanted to.

Offline FR1DAY

• Members
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2014, 12:04:50 AM »
Only great for the next 9 months or so. Kathryn is 3 months pregnant with our second. It's great news but I did fancy a hobby room. :engel:

I've assembled the first SWS,

Also in the picture is a plastic cadian for comparison.

So 6 guys with 3 flamers. A mixture of caps and helmets. The lance corporal has one shoulder guard, as all NCO's will. Officer will have two. A few bits of kit on their belts.

For my initial impressions they are really well cast. Very few mould lines.
I'm not sure if the guns are not too big though, the pulse rifles that is, the specials are a great size. I'm also not sure on the size of some of the clothed arms. The naked and rolled sleeved ones are well proportioned. Might have to avoid one of the options.
I'm happy overall

Spray and paint over the weekend. I'm going to zenith undercoat them as a trial. Black complete coat and white from above.

Stay tuned guard fans

So why you complaining!

Offline Finlay

• Members
  • C'mon Son
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2014, 12:45:49 AM »
Congratulations! You finally convinced her :)

Pass the machete.

Offline Xathrodox86

• Members
  • He Who Fights Monsters
    • https://www.facebook.com/michalgorzanski
« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2014, 03:22:16 PM »
They look great and I love the camo. Will lurk on this thread for sure. :smile2:
Check out my wargaming blog "It always rains in Nuln". Reviews, rants and a robust dose of wargaming and RPG fun guaranteed. ;)

http://italwaysrainsinnuln.blogspot.com/

"Dude, that's not funny. Xathrodox would never settle for being a middleman."

Gneisenau

Offline FR1DAY

• Members
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2014, 11:17:40 PM »
I've painted up the test model for my drop troops! 1 down 37 to go.

I've moved most of my painting stuff down from the loft and set up in study (my painting room). It feel good to be able to get back into painting, my skills are a little rough but not to shabby. This guy took me an hour i'd have thought, with the hair drier assisting me.
I used a grey wash on the back of the head to try and get a freshly shaved head look, elite troops.

My thoughts on him are positive, but very much opened to suggestions. I'm thinking some form of insignia on the uniform. Do you like the camo or is it too hard to see. I only used my phone.

What do you think?

Stay tuned guard fans

So why you complaining!

Offline Aldaris

• Members
« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2014, 11:42:20 PM »
Very striking, I love it! Camo effect is great, and as usual I really like your painting style. Looks quite unique and recognizable.

Some kind of cap badge could look cool I think, in a nice contrast color.

Offline Xathrodox86

• Members
  • He Who Fights Monsters
    • https://www.facebook.com/michalgorzanski
« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2014, 07:32:01 AM »
The camo is awesome. These guys really have that elite vibe to them. Will you add more puches, grenades, maybe some knife? :blush:
Check out my wargaming blog "It always rains in Nuln". Reviews, rants and a robust dose of wargaming and RPG fun guaranteed. ;)

http://italwaysrainsinnuln.blogspot.com/

"Dude, that's not funny. Xathrodox would never settle for being a middleman."

Gneisenau

Offline Finlay

• Members
  • C'mon Son
« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2014, 12:49:54 PM »
looks great.

I'd add something on the hat though.

Pass the machete.

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #19 on: December 09, 2014, 02:52:46 PM »
Yes, the painted one looks excellent! The camo is well done. I agree that the hat needs something else on it. I'm not sure what though - adding anything bright to it would defeat the purpose of the camoflage! Maybe a darker line along the bottom, so it doesn't blend so much into his head.

I think you're right about some of the sleeves looking weird on the unpainted ones.
If I wanted to.

Offline FR1DAY

• Members
« Reply #20 on: December 09, 2014, 04:34:48 PM »
Thanks,

I've painted the next five yesterday, just basing them tonight. The sleeves look fine painted. I went with a small white dot. I also went with red NCO stripes on shoulder guards. The modern armies have black insignia but you just cant see it on the models.I tried.
Its difficult as the armour cries out for it but i don't want to invest the time in doing it atm. Also it is a little small, would look great IRL but not at that scale. I have done tattoos on some of the bare arms which look OK.

I'll get the pics up tonight, might be camera phone again though.

I'll add a addition black line to cap/head transition as well.

So why you complaining!

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #21 on: December 09, 2014, 04:47:09 PM »
I have done tattoos on some of the bare arms which look OK.

Hoping for squid tattoos!
If I wanted to.

Offline FR1DAY

• Members
« Reply #22 on: December 09, 2014, 07:16:20 PM »
 :::cheers:::

Squid like!

So why you complaining!

Offline FR1DAY

• Members
« Reply #23 on: December 09, 2014, 09:44:15 PM »
Well as promised here are the pictures of tonights work. I used my wives ipad so the pictures are slighty better. I will get the light box out once all 38 are done.

Here are 6 of 38

I've started work on the four remaining members of the squad and Captain Thandstat.

Stay tuned guard fans

So why you complaining!

Offline Aldaris

• Members
« Reply #24 on: December 09, 2014, 10:22:50 PM »
 :eusa_clap: