home

Author Topic: Drop troop plog *DW and vendetta complete and other bits *  (Read 10823 times)

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
Re: Drop troop plog
« Reply #50 on: January 04, 2015, 12:03:00 AM »
Ouch!  $50 for 10 figures?  Woah.  I'm so glad gravity has pulled me back into historicals.  This past summer I picked up 132 20mm WW2 figures for $24, and even if they weren't on sale, I'd have gotten them for $36.  But I digress.  Not sure I could see myself doing a whole IG army with these figures at that cost point, but I could see myself purchasing some for general sci-fi gaming, or perhaps small scale 40K skirmishes, or maybe just as a unit or two for a mix and match IG look.  However, more power to you FR1DAY, this is going to be one good looking IG army! 
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline Xathrodox86

• Members
  • He Who Fights Monsters
    • https://www.facebook.com/michalgorzanski
« Reply #51 on: January 04, 2015, 07:48:41 AM »
GP: thanks. They are really nice models. However they are quite a bit more than the GW plastics. With the grav chutes and packs they cost around $50 for ten rather than $29. In terms of the forge world elysians They are much cheaper, the FW ones with chutes are around $75.

They are much better models than the plastic catachans and cadians. Also much more customisable. The special weapons from mad robot are much much more realistic than gw ones. Especially the grenade launchers.

I have nearly finished the platoon command squad

Stay tuned guard fans

As an avid IG (screw that Astra Crap) I'm watching this thread with baited breath. Love your take on drop troops and the "modern" look of those IG's are awesome. Will you be adding some Tauroses? Maybe use standard Elysians as Vets?
Check out my wargaming blog "It always rains in Nuln". Reviews, rants and a robust dose of wargaming and RPG fun guaranteed. ;)

http://italwaysrainsinnuln.blogspot.com/

"Dude, that's not funny. Xathrodox would never settle for being a middleman."

Gneisenau

Offline FR1DAY

• Members
« Reply #52 on: January 04, 2015, 10:54:57 AM »
The grav chute back packs are a $1 each.
If you buy three squads then, without any packs etc, they are £35 for ten. They are however, i think at least, the best looking IG models available atm. They do lots of different styles to. Catachans, valhallans, mordians, paetorians and other options. Really good manufacturer. They even do feral world guard, which is a bit of a change.
For me the force is staying as an allied detachment. Thus i have 1 HQ, 2 troop, 1 FA, 1 elite and 1 HS. This is just a usable distraction from my marines. So for I have the 1 HQ, and 1 troop (the platoon). I also have a squad of karskin stormtroopers i am going to paint as my elite in a valkyrie DT. 2 plasmas and a pair of plasma pistols on the sergeant, they are only 10pts in the list. The plasma meshes well with the hot shot guns at low AP.  I also plan to get a  vulture as my FA and have a heavy slot free for either a battery of sentry guns or a navy flyer, probably a avenger. If i do another troop it will be vets in carapace in a Valkyrie DT. Mad robot do some night vision heads and shoulder pads to up the armour a little to carapace standard. I also was going to add a HWS with HB's. I know they aren't the best choice but they do the heavy weapons from aliens model and with a little converting it will be a  HB. If they do release the heavy weapons they are talking about then i'll add a couple of mortar squads for ranged support. 
To top it all off i have got the old Kal Jerico model I have found recently in a loft tidy which i am going to use as an Inqusitor. I can get those servo skulls then for increased deep strike accuracy

COmmand squad nearly done, just waiting for an ink wash to dry before final details.

Stay tuned guard fans.
There are 40 different shades of black, so many fortresses and ways to attack.

So why you complaining!

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #53 on: January 05, 2015, 11:45:05 AM »
Excellent work again!
Hey, I could still beat up a woman!
If I wanted to.

Offline FR1DAY

• Members
« Reply #54 on: January 05, 2015, 11:20:37 PM »
Just a quick update. As promised the platoon command squad with 4 melta guns and lieutenant with AGL. A terror to vehicles everywhere.

Close up of the tash!

The Lt.

I have also now assembled the last infantry squad with grenade launcher and sergeant with AGL. They are ready for spraying tomorrow.

We that is 28 of 38, the end is in sight.

Stay tuned guard fans

So why you complaining!

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #55 on: January 06, 2015, 11:26:51 AM »
I like the moustache.
If I wanted to.

Offline FR1DAY

• Members
« Reply #56 on: March 29, 2015, 09:06:00 PM »
The wife is away so i've been painting like mad.

Here is a little update on the drop troop plog. I've finished the initial batch i started with from mad robot miniatures.

I need to get the good camera and light box out but haven't done it yet, more minis to paint.

Anyway phase two is some stormtroopers and carapace vets both in Valkyries. This fills in the second troop choice of the allied detachment and the elite slot. The vets are to have 3 meltas, shotguns and a heavy flamer!!!
The plan is to have a avenger fighter and vulture for the HS and FA slots. I might also get a couple of trantulas for the combat drop possibilities.

I got a big box of karskin a while ago on a whim on ebay for cheap. Here are the first five, most important five. I am also going to do another 4 hellguns and a sarg with twin plasma pistols to up the plasma output. I am just going for the same paint scheme as the line troops.

Update soon to the stormtroopers

Here are a couple of pictures of them in action

So why you complaining!

Offline FR1DAY

• Members
« Reply #57 on: May 01, 2015, 07:29:15 PM »
Just a quick update. I have prepared the next 5 stormtroopers.  All hell guns for this five lot as the other five had the plasma guns.

So why you complaining!

Offline FR1DAY

• Members
« Reply #58 on: July 20, 2016, 10:41:36 AM »
Thread-o-mancy time

I've decided to add to my drop troop army after a long break. The plan is to bring them up to 1500pts.
I'm going to add a company command squad, allied inquisitor, missile launcher squad, another full platoon, 2 vet squads in valks, a vendetta and vulture. Also a couple of sentry guns and storm trooper squads

I have got the first half of my order from Mad robot mini's through and assembled one with a missile launcher, i need some more 60mm bases. Also prepped the storm troopers and inq, going to use a Kal Jehrico model i've had for ages, he's a little tall, but imposing.
Also about half way through painting hte first Valkyrie. Anyway, here are the pic's you all want to see.

I'm really looking forward to assembling the carapace vets, they are great models from the new heavy CDF range and Madrobot minis.

So why you complaining!

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #59 on: July 20, 2016, 01:23:13 PM »
Those look good so far!

Are you making the valkyrie's weapons switchable?
If I wanted to.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #60 on: July 20, 2016, 01:55:32 PM »
And what was your method for painting that color on the valk, watered down something or other?

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

Offline FR1DAY

• Members
« Reply #61 on: July 20, 2016, 02:08:38 PM »
Rufus.  No the weapons are stuck. This is one of two troop carriers so the multi laser and missile pods is the way to go on these all the time. The third and vulture will have magnetic weapons.

GP. The valkyrie is a sand coloured base, like on the bottom,  with three coats of athonian camo shade wash. Then three drybushes from death world jungle,  50/50 jungle and karak norn stone then the stone on its own. Will be weathered and chipped then a light couple of coats of earth's hade wash. The bottom has only had a quick coat of earthshade. It will be dry brushed from stone to light grey and washed as well. Canopy will be black glass

So why you complaining!

Offline FR1DAY

• Members
« Reply #62 on: July 27, 2016, 09:45:03 PM »
WIP on the Valkyrie. All the base colours done and metal just needs a couple of drybrushes to complete. I'll then do some heat discolouration on the exhausts of the engines.
I am going to add the transfers to complete.
Also a WIP pic of the the 17 storm troopers. They have had their three washes on the guns. Next up the armour.

So why you complaining!

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
Re: Drop troop plog *Valkryie nearly complete*
« Reply #63 on: July 27, 2016, 10:37:33 PM »
Looking very good! :eusa_clap: :::cheers:::

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #64 on: July 27, 2016, 10:52:36 PM »
The Jericho model looks like it will fit perfectly with the storm troopers.

The Valkyrie also looks great. Looks very realistic and military.

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #65 on: July 28, 2016, 10:27:36 AM »
Excellent! I want to shoot it down with my one!
If I wanted to.

Offline FR1DAY

• Members
« Reply #66 on: July 30, 2016, 11:11:09 AM »
Excellent! I want to shoot it down with my one!

Bring it maverick!

Finished it off now. Just the base to Drybrush.

I'm not sure whether I should do a stripe on the yellow panels and if so what colour?

So why you complaining!

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
Re: Drop troop plog *Valkryie complete!*
« Reply #67 on: July 30, 2016, 11:45:55 AM »
I like the yellow panels as they are.

Nice effect on the windows, by the way.
If I wanted to.

Offline Finlay

• Members
  • C'mon Son
« Reply #68 on: July 30, 2016, 01:09:00 PM »
Oh look, fr1days army looks great once again!
I don't care about the rules.

Pass the machete.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #69 on: July 31, 2016, 02:26:12 PM »
I'm with Rufus on the yellow panels.  They are subtle as they are, which is good, and a stripe in any color might draw more attention to them.

Offline FR1DAY

• Members
« Reply #70 on: July 31, 2016, 08:59:42 PM »
Thanks guys. It was quite easy to paint so not so worried about the next two and the vulture I want to do to complete the force.

He is a finished shot with the base done.

Also working on the twenty stormtroopers. They have had their first 3 washes of blue black on guns and bits and armour has had one wash of green and needs another.  Then i'll break them down into 5's to finish.

So why you complaining!

Offline Mogsam

• Members
  • Resident Jewish Panda
« Reply #71 on: August 01, 2016, 04:32:08 PM »
I like your plane and the stormtroopers! They always look so badass, it's a shame they aren't in the game!
Curse you and your ability to stay within the lines.

Offline FR1DAY

• Members
Re: Drop troop plog *big update!*
« Reply #72 on: October 27, 2016, 07:56:05 PM »
We i've been busy with the drop troops. Ive been working on background fluff and bits, which i'll share later. However i've been also doing a fair bit of painting.
I have completed my first veteran squad, carapace and plasma, to go in the valkaryie. I have also finished a missile launcher HWS. This is really expensive in points and not very good but I love the models.
I have also finished another 5 stormtroopers with 2 melta and assembled and started to paint my company command squad, captain and 4 snipers.
Lastly I have assmebled a vendetta gunship using the FW kit. This is awaiting painting but has been base coated.
Co command squad is now well under way and will be finished before the weekend is out.

I have also started a small deathwatch detachment, made but not painted. Including detail painting the inside of the drop pod.

So why you complaining!

Offline Gneisenau

• Members
  • Alleged Ungulate
« Reply #73 on: October 27, 2016, 09:02:09 PM »
Very pretty. I especially like your bases.

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #74 on: October 27, 2016, 09:22:24 PM »
Loads of stuff! Well done!  :::cheers:::
If I wanted to.