home

Author Topic: Dune: Book, Movie, Miniseries.  (Read 12596 times)

Offline Midaski

• Sunny Sussex, England
  • Administrator
  • Members
Re: Dune: Book, Movie, Miniseries.
« Reply #25 on: November 22, 2016, 10:23:43 AM »
Me too - it had Jean Luc ......................... and worm riding ...................  :engel:
Quote from: Gneisenau
Metal to Finecast - It is mostly a swap of medium. 

You mean they will be using Ouija boards instead of Tarot cards for their business plans from now on?

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
  • i'm a mercenary doom bringer
« Reply #26 on: November 22, 2016, 05:35:38 PM »
I've watched the Lynch film, mini series, and read the first 3.5 books. All were OK, but seemed to fall short of what they could have been. I can't say I'm really that excited about yet another production.

Someday I would like to go back to the book series. I've been told that it picks back up a bit, and right about where I left off is the low point. My understanding is that it takes on more "universal scale" themes later in the series...? (And also that Herbert never finished it before he passed...?)

Offline Karl Voss of Averland

• Members
  • Captain of Loningbruck
« Reply #27 on: November 22, 2016, 06:26:41 PM »
Me too - it had Jean Luc ......................... and worm riding ...................  :engel:

I sexually violated the cat.  When we have children I will push harder for this time honored and enjoyable tradition

Remembering what Rufas started and endures in us all

Offline Grutch

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #28 on: November 22, 2016, 06:33:54 PM »
I read the book as a teenager and found it incredibly dull.  Never bothered with any film or television adaptations.

90% of Herbert's work revolves around court intrigue and power playing.  I can see how as a teen you were not moved. Dune is visionary philosophical, mystical and strange as fuck, it's not for everybody.

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #29 on: November 22, 2016, 11:04:19 PM »
Will be interesting to see if they can pull off a decent new movie that has the visuals, but also manages to convey the setting and story.

A good question... for another time.

#maz
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #30 on: November 23, 2016, 05:45:46 PM »
I liked the movie with Sting. I liked the first few episodes of the mini series but I found it got boring with just vision after vision after vision.

For me it's the kind of book that just doesn't translate well into tv or film.

Offline Gneisenau

• Members
  • Alleged Ungulate
« Reply #31 on: November 23, 2016, 10:51:23 PM »
The movie had an awesome score, some awesome visuals, and about five minutes of Virginia Madsen.

The rest was meh.

Legendary Pictures eh? I guess we'll have to...............................wait for it.  :icon_cool:

Oooh! :icon_biggrin:

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #32 on: November 23, 2016, 11:31:08 PM »
See, when I watched it, I found Francesca Annis quite striking. Take away the 80's hair, and she was quite beautiful.
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.

Offline Feanor Fire Heart

• His Royal Highness
  • Members
« Reply #33 on: July 20, 2018, 03:00:20 PM »
2 things:

1: Can we move this to The Count's Tavern.

2: They have announced a Dune movie slated for 2019.

As of right now it is in pre-production with Timothee Chalamet is slated to be Paul and its to be directed by Denis Villeneuve (The Arrival, Blade Runner 2049, Sicario).

I still cannot get through the David Lynch movie so I hope it does better than it.  I liked the SciFi mini series (if only they had better production) and loved the book.  I hope this one does well and honors the book.
Something we as painters and hobbyists should always remember:
“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
― Jake the Dog

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #34 on: July 20, 2018, 03:29:28 PM »
Oh man I loved the David Lynch one. It was just so weird and different watching it when I was young, even with Sting running around in his weird bathing suit thing.

I'm maybe a little hyped to see another remake coming. I like Dune a great deal, but I just wish they'd stop remaking every movie and try making something different. Maybe even doing a different one of the Dune books for once.

• His Royal Highness
  • Members
« Reply #35 on: July 20, 2018, 03:37:12 PM »
I'd be happier with an HBO series, perhaps with each season being a different book.
“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
― Jake the Dog

Offline Grutch

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #36 on: July 20, 2018, 04:34:08 PM »
There was a big push in HBO from the GOT team to make DUNE but it was all but shot down. 

I was really happy with Villeneuve's Blade Runner.  It's one of the best films of last year.  I'm keeping my fingers crossed for how he handles Dune.  As we have learned with Star Wars recently or Lynch's film in the past,  Producers and Executives can really derail a project. I'd like to say that I hope he film's Dune in a different way than Herbert Wrote the book.  I would rather not have Harkonen and Emperor's plotting revealed up front and give the new audience some surprise just as an example.  After a second reading of Dune, I felt it would have been a more exciting story but Herbert had this storytelling as a narration or even biblical perspective.  After all the entire format is as if it were history.  Dune from a film perspective could be a lot more interesting with a series of reveals and mystery.

Moving this to CT.

• His Royal Highness
  • Members
« Reply #37 on: July 20, 2018, 05:46:32 PM »
I agree.  Hints of the betrayal (so there is a pay off) rather than being upfront about it would make the film more compelling.
― Jake the Dog

• His Royal Highness
  • Members
« Reply #38 on: February 15, 2019, 05:42:44 PM »
Some more casting announcements:

Timothee Chalamet as Paul Atreides
Oscar Isaac as Duke Leto Atreides
Rebecca Ferguson as Lady Jessica
Stellan Skarsgård as Baron Harkonnen
Javier Bardem as Stilgar
Josh Brolin as Gurney
Jason Momoa as Duncan Idaho
Charlotte Rampling as reverend mother
Dave Bautista as Rabban
Zendaya as Chani (She is only rumored at this point)
― Jake the Dog

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #39 on: February 17, 2019, 03:16:22 AM »
Who isTimothee Chalamet?

Also, not sure about Rebecca Ferguson. I like her in the Greatest Showman, and she can be a good actress, but sometimes I find her a bit bland too, like in Mission Impossible Rogue Nation.

Josh Brolin as Gurney, thats a choice! It works, but its interesting considering Patrick Stewart played it in the original (sure Patrick Stewart was playing the man of action in the original, rather than his more classic wise and strategic man, but still interesting)
« Last Edit: February 17, 2019, 03:18:35 AM by Warlord »

• His Royal Highness
  • Members
« Reply #40 on: February 17, 2019, 05:27:17 AM »
Who isTimothee Chalamet?

A fairly new face. He's been in movies and tv shows but nothing I've seen:

IMDB: https://www.imdb.com/name/nm3154303/

Also, not sure about Rebecca Ferguson. I like her in the Greatest Showman, and she can be a good actress, but sometimes I find her a bit bland too, like in Mission Impossible Rogue Nation.

I just went over her filmography and honestly I have not seen her work. I think I am just pumped that this is happening.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2019, 05:29:23 AM by Feanor Fire Heart »
― Jake the Dog

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #41 on: February 17, 2019, 11:52:43 AM »
Yeah, I know how to google... I am more just wondering why they chose a new face? Are they thinking new YA series like hunger games / maze runner? Because I’m not sure that should be the play...

• His Royal Highness
  • Members
« Reply #42 on: February 17, 2019, 04:48:01 PM »
Oh god I hope not.  :ph34r:

Considering the movie climate of today I wouldn't be surprised though.  I am hoping that since the director of the Arrival and BR 2049 is at the helm that it wont be. Guess we'll have to wait for the trailer, whenever they start filming. Looks like it will probably be 2020 as far as a release goes seeing as its still in pre-production.

Who knows, he may end up being the Mark Hamill of the next generation and Paul is his Luke. Mark was a bit of an unknown prior to Star Wars.

Then again the inquisitional mantra of "Hope is the first step on the road to disappointment" may ring true.  Its tough to say in this situation as we don't even have a trailer yet.
― Jake the Dog

• His Royal Highness
  • Members
« Reply #43 on: March 19, 2019, 02:26:09 PM »
As of 3/18/2019 they have started filming!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ApiG0-BKAXM

Looks like they are breaking it up into 2 movies.
― Jake the Dog

• His Royal Highness
  • Members
« Reply #44 on: April 14, 2020, 09:29:26 PM »
Due to Coronavirus the release date has been pushed back. Some pictures have been posted of the production though:

Paul and Jessica

Duke Leto

Kynes?

Chani

Gurney
― Jake the Dog

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #45 on: April 14, 2020, 10:21:42 PM »
Costumes looking good!
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

• His Royal Highness
  • Members
« Reply #46 on: April 14, 2020, 11:26:23 PM »
A couple more:

The House Atreides: Timothée Chalamet as Paul Atreides, Stephen Mckinley Henderson as Thufir Hawat, Oscar Isaac as Duke Leto Atreides, Rebecca Ferguson as Lady Jessica Atreides, Josh Brolin as Gurney Halleck and Jason Momoa as Duncan Idaho

Duncan Idaho

The books was notorious for leaving out details on how people were dressed and what things looked like (maybe an offhanded comment on Paul having black hair like his fathers), but I do remember they said that house Atreides uniforms/clothes were black and their symbol was a red hawk. Looks like they got the black down. Plus some battle armor is a cool idea considering melee combat is a thing. I am also really digging these stillsuits.
― Jake the Dog

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #47 on: April 14, 2020, 11:46:19 PM »
I should give a go to reading the book.  I got a good portion of the series on sale and in small paperback when I was much younger, yet never read them.  I'd like to at least read the first one.

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

• His Royal Highness
  • Members
« Reply #48 on: April 15, 2020, 01:05:07 AM »
I've only read the first one, and its great! It inspired Star Wars, Warhammer 40k, and even Game of Thrones.
― Jake the Dog

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #49 on: April 16, 2020, 09:22:27 PM »
I began emptying some of the boxes of books from my move to see if I can find the first Dune book.  And or course to put the rest of the books on the shelves.  Looking for my copy does  have me motivated to do it though. :icon_wink: :icon_lol: